2020 DVC Member Cruise to Alaska - Cancelled

Have a Great time. Tom and I are on the West Coast DVC Member Cruise this year and heading to Alaska with four friends afterwards, so we could not justify heading to Alaska so soon afterwards. I look forward to hearing about your experiences aboard this special cruise.

Bobbi

Have a Great time. Tom and I are on the West Coast DVC Member Cruise this year and heading to Alaska with four friends afterwards, so we could not justify heading to Alaska so soon afterwards. I look forward to hearing about your experiences aboard this special cruise.

Bobbi
Thanks, Bobbi - we will miss having you along,

Has anyone heard of movement from the waitlist? I assume there’s a waitlist! We are considering joining it.

Last edited:

I have not, but also presume there is and has been a wait list. Are you thinking of joining us?

In the past, most movement seems to happen close to the deadlines to a full refund, at least from comments in other DVC MC when people have commented about being pulled off the wait list,

Has anyone heard of movement from the waitlist? I assume there’s a waitlist! We are considering joining it.

I know that a few people have been moved off the waitlist... as they posted so in our FB group. But this was a few months ago. Not sure what the waitlist is doing now.

I know that a few people have been moved off the waitlist... as they posted so in our FB group. But this was a few months ago. Not sure what the waitlist is doing now.
Thank you.
Not sure, am considering. We went to Alaska this May, and it was wonderful. Am tempted to go again.

Thank you.
Not sure, am considering. We went to Alaska this May, and it was wonderful. Am tempted to go again.
We’d love to have you aboard! We were on the first MC to Alaska in 2015 & are going again. So much to see in Alaska, and this cruise is later in the summer (vs May for 2015j so views and scenery will be different.

Missed posting this over the weekend as I was at D33 Expo- we are now less than a year from departure!!!!! :donald:

If I get on the waitlist for this, what are my chances? What is the cancellation policy? Don't people have to pay in full at the time of booking?

If I get on the waitlist for this, what are my chances? What is the cancellation policy? Don't people have to pay in full at the time of booking?
Yes, we had to pay in full ( points and/or cash) at time of booking.

Hard to say what the odds are for coming off the wait list - we are 10 months out, lots can happen between now and then to result in plans changing for some. In the past, there seems to be movement shortly after bookings, ie someone earlier in this thread mentioned someone coming off the wait list.

There’s also movement when credit cards are due, ie this month for those who booked with Disney Visa and used the 6-Month with no interest deferral option.

Last time there can be movement is just before the deadline to cancel and get full refunds which I think is around 120 days, which would be in April.

It also depends on cabin category- is there any flexibility or is a specific category or location needed.

Hi everyone - the 2019 member cruises are in the past, time to look forward to 2020 and our member cruise to Alaska!

Not sure if anyone has started researching port adventures and third party companies. I thought I’d share our experience with a local tour company in Skagway from when we were on the first MC to Alaska in 2015 - Chilkoot Charters. They offer bus and bus/train tours on the White Pass railroad up to Canada and the Yukon.

https://chilkootcharters.com/

They are an awesome tour company!! Several of us separately booked a tour in Skagway through them, and none of us were disappointed. I’d book with them again in a heartbeat if they offered other tours in the Skagway area. They offer full and half day tour options to Canada and the Yukon, either bus only or bus/rail combos with a choice of bus first or train first. We booked their 7:30 all day trip to the Yukon, rail/bus combo with the train portion first.

Reasons why we went with them over the similar excursions offered thru DCL -

1-lower cost. While DCL does not yet have their 2020 pricing posted, we found that Chilkoot was cheaper than Disney for essentially the same basic tour content.

2-smaller groups. The Disney tour used the large busses that hold maybe 100 people or so per bus. Chilkoot uses smaller busses, think hotel shuttle size, that hold around 20-25 people. Also made it much easier to ask the driver questions as we went along.

3-smaller busses resulted in more tour stops. We made several more stops along the way both up and back for the bus portions of the tour than the Disney tour and larger busses, so got to see more things. We could also stay long enough so everyone could get their photos. Most of the “extra” stops had no other busses there.

4-tour flexibility. With the smaller bus and private company, the driver had options to change things up to make for a better tour. As an example, rather than hit the Welcome to the Yukon sign on the way up, as the larger busses will do due to the side of the road with the sign, we hit it on the way back when there were no other busses stopped so we could get great photos without a lot of crowds. Smaller busses can make the u-turn to the other side of the road. The driver knew the train schedules, so we were able to stop at a spot again on the other side of the road where we could wait for the afternoon train in the canyon on its way back to Skagway and get some great pictures. We also made a couple of unexpected stops when we spotted wildlife along the road, something the larger busses cannot do.

5-an unexpected bonus with the trains. Chilkoot being a local company got the last car on the train for their tour group people. Disney groups started with the second to last car. What is great about the last car? For those that wanted to do so, we could stand out on the back outside platform to get photos as we chugged along. The unobstructed views were amazing! This made for some fantastic photos looking back to the harbor (if you do the train portion first) including seeing the ship, as well as pictures of the engine and train on the tracks when we’d go along a curve.

In looking at the 2020 cruise ship schedule, there will be three other ships in port with us when we are in Skagway. Chilkoot opened up their 2020 season bookings today. I’d encourage anyone interested to check out the website and give them a call with any questions.

Happy planning!

We Would love to Meet other DVC Members from New York and PA that are going on this magical cruise to Alaska.'
Maybe meet before and plan together excursions and things to do together on the ship.
My wife and I have a Boy 7 and my daughter will be 10 at the time of the cruise.
We are so super excited about our DVC Member cruise. Hope to meet some of you all here to chat.

Thanks

:santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!