2020 DVC Member Cruise to Alaska - Cancelled

We Would love to Meet other DVC Members from New York and PA that are going on this magical cruise to Alaska.'
Maybe meet before and plan together excursions and things to do together on the ship.
My wife and I have a Boy 7 and my daughter will be 10 at the time of the cruise.
We are so super excited about our DVC Member cruise. Hope to meet some of you all here to chat.

Thanks

:santa:
Welcome to our thread for this DVC Alaska Cruise! I’m in CA, far from NY and PA, and no young kids. Happy to chat here - we are at 249 days out!

I’m not on Facebook but there is likely a group out there which will also have folks chatting and planning.

Hi everyone - the 2019 member cruises are in the past, time to look forward to 2020 and our member cruise to Alaska!

Not sure if anyone has started researching port adventures and third party companies. I thought I’d share our experience with a local tour company in Skagway from when we were on the first MC to Alaska in 2015 - Chilkoot Charters. They offer bus and bus/train tours on the White Pass railroad up to Canada and the Yukon.

https://chilkootcharters.com/

They are an awesome tour company!! Several of us separately booked a tour in Skagway through them, and none of us were disappointed. I’d book with them again in a heartbeat if they offered other tours in the Skagway area. They offer full and half day tour options to Canada and the Yukon, either bus only or bus/rail combos with a choice of bus first or train first. We booked their 7:30 all day trip to the Yukon, rail/bus combo with the train portion first.

Reasons why we went with them over the similar excursions offered thru DCL -

1-lower cost. While DCL does not yet have their 2020 pricing posted, we found that Chilkoot was cheaper than Disney for essentially the same basic tour content.

2-smaller groups. The Disney tour used the large busses that hold maybe 100 people or so per bus. Chilkoot uses smaller busses, think hotel shuttle size, that hold around 20-25 people. Also made it much easier to ask the driver questions as we went along.

3-smaller busses resulted in more tour stops. We made several more stops along the way both up and back for the bus portions of the tour than the Disney tour and larger busses, so got to see more things. We could also stay long enough so everyone could get their photos. Most of the “extra” stops had no other busses there.

4-tour flexibility. With the smaller bus and private company, the driver had options to change things up to make for a better tour. As an example, rather than hit the Welcome to the Yukon sign on the way up, as the larger busses will do due to the side of the road with the sign, we hit it on the way back when there were no other busses stopped so we could get great photos without a lot of crowds. Smaller busses can make the u-turn to the other side of the road. The driver knew the train schedules, so we were able to stop at a spot again on the other side of the road where we could wait for the afternoon train in the canyon on its way back to Skagway and get some great pictures. We also made a couple of unexpected stops when we spotted wildlife along the road, something the larger busses cannot do.

5-an unexpected bonus with the trains. Chilkoot being a local company got the last car on the train for their tour group people. Disney groups started with the second to last car. What is great about the last car? For those that wanted to do so, we could stand out on the back outside platform to get photos as we chugged along. The unobstructed views were amazing! This made for some fantastic photos looking back to the harbor (if you do the train portion first) including seeing the ship, as well as pictures of the engine and train on the tracks when we’d go along a curve.

In looking at the 2020 cruise ship schedule, there will be three other ships in port with us when we are in Skagway. Chilkoot opened up their 2020 season bookings today. I’d encourage anyone interested to check out the website and give them a call with any questions.

Happy planning!
Thanks for the suggestion.

I’m not on this cruise, but I try to live vicariously with you. My friend and I cancelled a Princess cruise to Alaska that was scheduled early in August.

I hope you get to go!

Last edited:

I’m not on this cruise, but I try to live vicariously with you. My friend and I cancelled a Princess cruise to Alaska that was scheduled early in August.

I hope you get to go!
I’m sorry you had to cancel your other cruise. As for this one, online cruise bookings open next week & as of now it’s not yet cancelled. We shall see what happens in the next couple of months, between both DCL and the Canadian government.

I’m sorry you had to cancel your other cruise. As for this one, online cruise bookings open next week & as of now it’s not yet cancelled. We shall see what happens in the next couple of months, between both DCL and the Canadian government.
We just got the refund from Princess for our cancelled cruise.

Its just a long waiting game, and so much speculation. Meanwhile today the weather is gorgeous in NJ, and many are out gardening or riding bikes. All parks, beaches are closed.

I just spoke to DVC Cruise staff and they said, We need to cancel by May 26th to get 100% refund. But we will get 642 points back and will need to use them for a booking/vacation by March 30th 2021... This sucks because we want another Alaska Cruise and they do not start till May 2021... They should give you 15 Months to use the points being refunded..

I just spoke to DVC Cruise staff and they said, We need to cancel by May 26th to get 100% refund. But we will get 642 points back and will need to use them for a booking/vacation by March 30th 2021... This sucks because we want another Alaska Cruise and they do not start till May 2021... They should give you 15 Months to use the points being refunded..
I would not expect DVC points expirations to be the same as a future cruise credit through DCL. With DCL they know the credit would need to be used towards another cruise. With DVC points, those points could be used for a resort stay, a Concierge hotel stay, transferred to RCI, Adventures by Disney trip, etc...not necessarily another cruise. There is no way for DVC to require the points be used for another cruise. I’d expect the points need to continue to be used based on the associated Use Year.

This will be my family’s first Disney Cruise. I’ve just discovered something called a fish extender gift exchange. Has a group for our sailing already been started?

This will be my family’s first Disney Cruise. I’ve just discovered something called a fish extender gift exchange. Has a group for our sailing already been started?
Welcome! An Alaska Member Cruise is an awesome first cruise - the first MC to Alaska in 2015 was also my first cruise, and I’ve been on several more since then. Alaska is beautiful! I am cautiously optimistic that this cruise will still be able to happen.

There is no fish extender group in this thread. I am not on FB but a couple of others have said there is also a FB group for this cruise. There might be one in that group, if you can find it, not sure if it is still open to join. Someone there would be able to tell you.

Got the official word from DVC today - our 2020 Member Cruise to Alaska has been canceled. No specifics out yet re options - DVC is finalizing & will share when more info is available.

Disappointing but not unexpected.

New date for the Alaska Member cruise is 29 Aug - 5 Sept 2022 and other info on DVC homepage. I might have to see if spots are available now.

New date for the Alaska Member cruise is 29 Aug - 5 Sept 2022 and other info on DVC homepage. I might have to see if spots are available now.
If you were already booked on the 2020 cruise, your booking will be automatically transferred:

"If you have a reservation for the 2020 Member Cruise, we will automatically move your reservation to the same stateroom aboard this newly scheduled 2022 sailing at no extra charge. No action is required on your part if you’d like to take advantage of this option. "

So I wonder when they will open it to new bookings :magnify: :bitelip:

If you were already booked on the 2020 cruise, your booking will be automatically transferred:

"If you have a reservation for the 2020 Member Cruise, we will automatically move your reservation to the same stateroom aboard this newly scheduled 2022 sailing at no extra charge. No action is required on your part if you’d like to take advantage of this option. "

So I wonder when they will open it to new bookings :magnify: :bitelip:
I am SO happy about their resolution to this!

Re new bookings, I’d guess sometime after August 5 as that is the deadline to drop out of the new dates & get a refund of money and/or points. Otherwise the reservation will be moved to the new Cruise Dates.

Added - or it could be after September 5 as that is the date to inquire about any possible stateroom changes...all based on availability and changes may impact cost. Another guess - this allows a month after the August 5 date for drops, for those already booked to make changes, before opening up what may be left.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter