2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

We never knoe until they release it.

I always assume that the theme for princess will have something to do with princesses and go from there. :)

If doing a costume go with what you want to be, not necessarily what the themes for each race will be.

Exactly. Also, please keep in mind that a bajillion people will be doing costumes around the theme. Dress as whatever you want, and don't worry about matching theme.

I am debating on my hotel decision for the princess half. I have a reservation at the Contemporary with a theme park view but the cost is making me feel guilty. Has anyone stayed there before during a race? Is the cost worth it, ie - the food, convenience, comfort, view, etc? I am debating between the Contemporary (have never stayed out) and POR or PORFQ (have stayed at both). No worries if not, just thought I would throw this out there.
We stayed at CR for the 2017 race. I only did the 5k, so the monorail wasn't running yet. Bused both ways. Only time it wasn't great was coming back from the Expo. Took almost 2 hours. Stopped at all the monorail resorts plus FW before CR. My friends at OKW were back, showered & ready for dinner before I got off the bus. We're at AK this time.

We never knoe until they release it.

I always assume that the theme for princess will have something to do with princesses and go from there. :)

If doing a costume go with what you want to be, not necessarily what the themes for each race will be.

Thanks ..I was struggling a little getting my DH and DS to dress up....think I have managed to convince them now tho

I am debating on my hotel decision for the princess half. I have a reservation at the Contemporary with a theme park view but the cost is making me feel guilty. Has anyone stayed there before during a race? Is the cost worth it, ie - the food, convenience, comfort, view, etc? I am debating between the Contemporary (have never stayed out) and POR or PORFQ (have stayed at both). No worries if not, just thought I would throw this out there.

I stayed at Bay Lake twice for princess. How much will you be in your room for the themepark view to be worth it?

Having The Wave restaurant in your lobby is AMAZING. Such a good restaurant. Contempo Cafe is nice. There's an espresso stand in your lobby. Walk out the door and past the convention center and you have bus pickup for expo and the non-Half races.

I'm staying at BW this time, though. Changed from my 11 month Bay Lake reservation to BW b/c I like the place better.

I really like the monorail ride to the start. The biggest issue with contemp is the transfer at ttc to the resort monorail. Depending on when you finish that area can be crowded.

For the newbies, the monorail is only used for the start of the Half (not the 5 or 10K). And you have to switch at TTC on the way to the race. I was having Garmin issues and basically focused on my watch and followed the feet in front of me for that LOL.

And this year we were told to get to the monorail to go back to Bay Lake by going through the main security area, which meant the line, and it was awful. As we got through and towards the monorail we saw other runners just coming in the exit area, which is, I think, what we should have done.

And this year we were told to get to the monorail to go back to Bay Lake by going through the main security area, which meant the line, and it was awful. As we got through and towards the monorail we saw other runners just coming in the exit area, which is, I think, what we should have done.

This will be my first time running a half at WDW! I sort of did the opposite and changed my 11 month BW reservation to Poly because I wanted to take the monorail to/from the race (we're just doing the half). What do you mean about going through security to get on the monorail on the way back?

For the expo: what are the buses like?

- are there buses from each resort directly to the expo? (We're at AKL)
- are there buses from the expo to the theme parks?
- would it be better to drive our rental car to the expo and back?
- if driving, do we need to pay for parking at ESPN (if staying on-site)?

Also, is the expo going to be mayhem on the morning of the first day? I don't tolerate uncontrolled crowds or noise well (i.e. people pushing in line or reaching over me for things) and wondering if going the morning the Expo opens is a good idea or not. We need to go that day regardless to pick up race kits, and morning works best for us so we can relax in the parks in the afternoon.

I've never been to ESPN Sports Complex before, only driven past it on the bus, so I haven't a clue where to go or what to expect.

Also, is the expo going to be mayhem on the morning of the first day? I don't tolerate uncontrolled crowds or noise well (i.e. people pushing in line or reaching over me for things) and wondering if going the morning the Expo opens is a good idea or not. We need to go that day regardless to pick up race kits, and morning works best for us so we can relax in the parks in the afternoon.

I've never been to ESPN Sports Complex before, only driven past it on the bus, so I haven't a clue where to go or what to expect.

1. Yes, buses run from each resort to the expo and back.
2. No, the buses do not run between the expo and the parks
3. I always recommend driving
4. Parking is free for the expo
5. Yes, the expo is utter madness on the morning of the first day. If you are uncomfortable with crowds and people pushing around each other to grab merchandise, definitely wait until later in the day.

My first runDisney event was Princess 2018. I did as much research as I could here prior to the weekend, but I found following the crowds to be best when I was unsure of things. I can’t answer all of your questions, but I’ll share my opinions on some of them.

We had a bus from Pop Century straight to the expo. The ride was quick and easy. I underestimated how much time I would spend at the expo though!

I went the morning of the first day, and it was crowded but not mayhem. I didn’t experience anyone pushing or shoving or reaching over me at any point, and I spent hours there. One regret I had was that I waited in the long line to get into the merchandise area, figuring I’d walk around there and pick up what I wanted and then go get my prepurchased items - not realizing they were in the same place! I could’ve saved a lot of time if I had just gone to the prepurchased items area first, but I didn’t know. For all of the mistakes I could’ve made, that wasn’t a bad one.

I've never stayed at the Contemporary, but I was up at California Grill for brunch after W&D half with some DIS folks and then again for the fireworks and view is AMAZING. Makes me want to stay there with a theme park view just to watch the fireworks every night.

Cali Grill and the fireworks view from there are my happy place.

Save yourself the cost of the Contemporary and just go for a glass of wine at the Cali Grill bar every night and enjoy the view!

What do you mean about going through security to get on the monorail on the way back?

After the half we walked over to Epcot to get the monorail. We were told to go to the main security line to get into Epcot, where the monorail entrance is there. Since we weren’t speedy and we took ages getting ready to move on after the race, we were behind regular park-goers. It took a long time to get through that and to the monorail.

I don’t think we went the right way, but that’s the way we were told to go.

Also, is the expo going to be mayhem on the morning of the first day?

It’s changed each year we’ve done princess. This year was THE most organized so far.

We wanted to start in the Disney merchandise area, which is the busiest. This year they let race retreat people in early; that seems to have stopped, I think. Cousin and I didn’t have RR. There were people without RR who got in line two hours before we did, and we were maybe 7 minutes back in line from them (FB is fun bc you can track where people are by their pix and posts). The line was extremely well organized and fun. They had restocked after the RR people and had everything. We got everything we wanted.

Then we headed out (getting a beer on the way bc you can) to pick up bibs, then to the next building to get shirts and look at non Disney merchandise.

I’m not a fan of crowds or noise, but I experienced NO ONE reaching over me like in 2017, and things were properly stocked.

I’m 100% sure we’ll hit the expo first hour first day again this year.

This will be my first time running a half at WDW! I sort of did the opposite and changed my 11 month BW reservation to Poly because I wanted to take the monorail to/from the race (we're just doing the half). What do you mean about going through security to get on the monorail on the way back?

The monorail entrance to get back to the MK resorts is inside Epcot security fences. You have to enter just like you were any other day guest to access the monorail. If you have a bag, camelbak, running belt, etc. you will need to go through bag check. There are buses back to the MK resorts too. Poly, Shades of Green & GF share a bus. I took the bus back when I stayed at GF last year. I think CR shares with WL, & FW but I don't know for sure.

The monorail entrance to get back to the MK resorts is inside Epcot security fences. You have to enter just like you were any other day guest to access the monorail. If you have a bag, camelbak, running belt, etc. you will need to go through bag check. There are buses back to the MK resorts too. Poly, Shades of Green & GF share a bus. I took the bus back when I stayed at GF last year. I think CR shares with WL, & FW but I don't know for sure.

Yeah it's frustrating after the race to have to go through back check, but I've found that security is typically not too bad. Walking up the monorail platform can be a pain and the up and down switch to the resort monorail can also be hard on stiff leggs.

We were able to book our flights last night. Because of a school holiday we were able to fly down Weds afternoon. It will be DDs first 10k and first race, so we may try and head to the expo first thing Thursday. I am planning on it being a mad house, but hoping that she can get some nice things to commemorate this event.

Last edited:

I have decided to move from the Contemporary based on the cost and how little I plan to be in the actual room. Now I am staying at the AKL with a savanna view. I think my husband will enjoy that more since it will be his first time to Disney in over 25 years. Hope I made the right move. Eek!

I have decided to move from the Contemporary based on the cost and how little I plan to be in the actual room. Now I am staying at the AKL with a savanna view. I think my husband will enjoy that more since it will be his first time to Disney in over 25 years. Hope I made the right move. Eek!

I love staying at AKL with savanna view! The resort is so interesting, has really good food, and it's so relaxing watching animals from your balcony. Also I think the bus service is great at AKL.

It’s changed each year we’ve done princess. This year was THE most organized so far.

We wanted to start in the Disney merchandise area, which is the busiest. This year they let race retreat people in early; that seems to have stopped, I think. Cousin and I didn’t have RR. There were people without RR who got in line two hours before we did, and we were maybe 7 minutes back in line from them (FB is fun bc you can track where people are by their pix and posts). The line was extremely well organized and fun. They had restocked after the RR people and had everything. We got everything we wanted.

Then we headed out (getting a beer on the way bc you can) to pick up bibs, then to the next building to get shirts and look at non Disney merchandise.

I’m not a fan of crowds or noise, but I experienced NO ONE reaching over me like in 2017, and things were properly stocked.

I’m 100% sure we’ll hit the expo first hour first day again this year.

Agreed. I have done every PHM since 2014. This year was definitely the most organized.

The monorail entrance to get back to the MK resorts is inside Epcot security fences. You have to enter just like you were any other day guest to access the monorail. If you have a bag, camelbak, running belt, etc. you will need to go through bag check. There are buses back to the MK resorts too.

Good to know we did it right, though as we walked away from security we saw other runners walking right in the exit gates and heading up.

Yeah it's frustrating after the race to have to go through back check, but I've found that security is typically not too bad.

Fwiw when we were there it was bad.

Heads up for anyone else booked to fly the red-eye on American Airlines Flight 2117 2/20/19 Wednesday night @ 9:55pm from LAX to MCO before PHM weekend...

Check your email. American Airlines has cancelled the flight and you should have received an email that you have been booked on a different flight.

They rebooked me on the 3:35pm Wednesday afternoon flight, landing at MCO at 11:25pm on 2/20/19.

I called AA and they said that you can switch to another flight for no additional charge if the rebooked flight time doesn't work for you. I switched to an earlier flight, because if I have to pay for an extra night of hotel, I want to get my money's worth. :mad:

If you had your heart set on a red-eye flight though, you can cancel the flight for no penalty and get your paid amount refunded to the credit card you used to purchase the tix and try to book another airlines. Jetblue looks like they have some good fares going out to MCO. Getting back to LAX for cheap though is a different story.

I haven't been checking my email lately, and just happened to be in an email purging mode when I saw the AA email. Holy cow that would have been bad if I missed it! So if you were booked for that flight, check your email!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up! We are on a similar United flight on 2/21. I’ll keep an eye on it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter