2019 Pool Hopping Restrictions

DVC members who are fans of quiet pools could consider breaking up their EPCOT/HS days by unwinding for an hour or two at the Boardwalk Inn quiet pool (behind ESPN), the Boardwalk DVC quiet pool next to the Community Hall, the Beach Club quiet pool closest to the International Gateway, or the Yacht Club quiet pool -- none of which appear to be on the prescribed list for pool hopping. We have used 3 of the 4 I mention and had a really relaxing time out of the parks without having to take buses back to our own resort.
Don't get confused between the Yacht Club and Beach Club leisure pools and the BCV leisure pool. Dunes Cove pool isn't open for pool hopping.

True, but all of the BWI/BWV pools are.

Personally, why would anyone want to carry wet suits around all evening? I just don't see the attraction of pool hopping. YMMV.

Depends on the time of year. If you're travelling anytime between April and October (providing the rains don't come!) your swimwear will dry in about 45 minutes in the sun. We normally spend some time in the pool cooling off after a morning in the parks and then grab some food from one of the marketplaces and relax around the pool for an hour just enjoying the peace and quiet while the swimwear dries. The quiet/leisure pools are so nice because they are a break from the crowds and allow a recharging of batteries -- it's not just about swimming. Many of the quiet/leisure pools in the Boardwalk/Beach Club/Yacht Club area have just a handful of people at them during the day because most guests are either in the parks, at conferences, or enjoying the fun and games at the main pools.

As others have noted, the rules don't let you use the Beach Club Villas (Dunes Cove) pool, but there is a Beach Club quiet pool near the front of the resort and very close to International Gateway that is available.

Are you sure? It's not a resale-restricted perk at least (albeit one of the very few).
Yes, if you plan on pool hopping, you have to prove you are a DVC owner. You can probably get the non-blue electronic card to show your membership.

Yes, if you plan on pool hopping, you have to prove you are a DVC owner. You can probably get the non-blue electronic card to show your membership.

Interesting. I'll be sure to carry my card if I ever do it. I guess it makes sense since it only supposed to be for DVC.

Depends on the time of year. If you're travelling anytime between April and October (providing the rains don't come!) your swimwear will dry in about 45 minutes in the sun. We normally spend some time in the pool cooling off after a morning in the parks and then grab some food from one of the marketplaces and relax around the pool for an hour just enjoying the peace and quiet while the swimwear dries. The quiet/leisure pools are so nice because they are a break from the crowds and allow a recharging of batteries -- it's not just about swimming. Many of the quiet/leisure pools in the Boardwalk/Beach Club/Yacht Club area have just a handful of people at them during the day because most guests are either in the parks, at conferences, or enjoying the fun and games at the main pools.

As others have noted, the rules don't let you use the Beach Club Villas (Dunes Cove) pool, but there is a Beach Club quiet pool near the front of the resort and very close to International Gateway that is available.

I never understood the appeal of pool hopping, but you make a good point. I can see leaving Epcot during the hottest point in the day and walking over to BCV or BWV for a swim break. We've stayed at BCV twice and didn't do this but I'll consider it for our next trip if we stay there again.

It seems to me you are right that AKV pools used to be off limits for pool hopping....or have we both remembered incorrectly?

We have only pool hopped to the Riverside pool, it was fun for my then young grandchildren. That was the first slide they ever went down.
Only one of the pools was off limits at AKL, but earlier this year Polys pool was allowed, now it isn't, interesting.

Actually, this benefit is available to those who buy resale, here is the applicable clause:
  • Complimentary alternative pool use (pool hopping) is not considered a Membership Extra. This benefit is offered to all Disney Vacation Club Members, regardless of how they purchased.
This is from the official rules, but you may need your ID card.

Only one of the pools was off limits at AKL, but earlier this year Polys pool was allowed, now it isn't, interesting.
Last year both AKL pools and both Poly pools were off limits. The VGF pools were allowed last year until this new round of restrictions.

Last year both AKL pools and both Poly pools were off limits. The VGF pools were allowed last year until this new round of restrictions.
Always check just before you go in case there are any last minute changes, as I said, this is different than what was there earlier this year.

So I just returned from a great family vacation
1 week at BLT -there pool area is small and packed !
1 week in a 2 BR at BCV for 4 and I had my 86 year old MIL and SIL
staying in Riverside -So the weather was pretty hot in the afternoon so we brought
everybody back to our room on Epcot country day ,and if a could have a day pass for 2 of my guest
they said no in about 4 different ways even after pointing out that my room could accommodate
far more people -nothing unfortunately ....sorry bla bla bla -So finally I said fine add them to my reservation
they replied that would take 25 minutes and ya I know it was kinda snotty but I just replied well you better
get started then ,as i had already been up there for a half hour .
They all chatted and stared at me from behind the desk and finally took care of it !
I can't think of a hotel where you can't have visitors with you for the day -
It just seems like they are always so much friendlier and accommodating at the BLT/ Contemporary desk

So I just returned from a great family vacation
1 week at BLT -there pool area is small and packed !
1 week in a 2 BR at BCV for 4 and I had my 86 year old MIL and SIL
staying in Riverside -So the weather was pretty hot in the afternoon so we brought
everybody back to our room on Epcot country day ,and if a could have a day pass for 2 of my guest
they said no in about 4 different ways even after pointing out that my room could accommodate
far more people -nothing unfortunately ....sorry bla bla bla -So finally I said fine add them to my reservation
they replied that would take 25 minutes and ya I know it was kinda snotty but I just replied well you better
get started then ,as i had already been up there for a half hour .
They all chatted and stared at me from behind the desk and finally took care of it !
I can't think of a hotel where you can't have visitors with you for the day -
It just seems like they are always so much friendlier and accommodating at the BLT/ Contemporary desk

The way it works, as I'm sure you are aware now, is the cast members manning the gates scan your magicband and either you're a resort guest or not. SAB has had massive overcrowding issues over the years, and, speaking only for myself, I don't care to pay those rates (either for the BCV contracts or nightly room rates previously) for others to bring visitors with them and crowd me out of the place, hog all the tables and chaises, etc. I also wouldn't hold front desk, pool, or any other cast members at any fault for following hotel policy. If they make an exception for you, then they have to do it for everyone.

The way it works, as I'm sure you are aware now, is the cast members manning the gates scan your magicband and either you're a resort guest or not. SAB has had massive overcrowding issues over the years, and, speaking only for myself, I don't care to pay those rates (either for the BCV contracts or nightly room rates previously) for others to bring visitors with them and crowd me out of the place, hog all the tables and chaises, etc. I also wouldn't hold front desk, pool, or any other cast members at any fault for following hotel policy. If they make an exception for you, then they have to do it for everyone.
I agree! SAB pool is such a fabulous pool,:beach: imo, would be unfair to paying guests for it to be any more crowded than it is. Staff do not make the rules; they are paid to follow them. ::yes::

True, but all of the BWI/BWV pools are.

Personally, why would anyone want to carry wet suits around all evening? I just don't see the attraction of pool hopping. YMMV.

On a hot day at the parks, it's very appealing to hop in a pool that's nearby. I have an oversized Mickey Ziplock bag that we throw the wet suits in after wringing them in a towel. The majority of people are carrying backpacks around anyhow so it doesn't make a difference.

On a hot day at the parks, it's very appealing to hop in a pool that's nearby. I have an oversized Mickey Ziplock bag that we throw the wet suits in after wringing them in a towel. The majority of people are carrying backpacks around anyhow so it doesn't make a difference.
Except there aren't that many pools nearby the theme parks that permit pool hopping any more.

Except there aren't that many pools nearby the theme parks that permit pool hopping any more.
I actually think there is a nice amount still available at the Deluxe Resorts (not considering busing aside from AK):

Epcot/HS - 4 Leisure Pools and 1 Feature Pool are in walking
AK - 2 Feature Pools
MK - 1 Feature Pool, 1 Leisure Pool are in walking

Once the Skyliner Opens I would consider CBR and Pop for their pools to be easily accessible. I'm surprised they haven't removed CR from hopping; they must have wanted to leave one MK resort available.

In follow up to my original post, we pool hopped to AKL Kidani Village pool on our trip in September. We were staying at SSR and both the splash areas were out of order for half of the week. Our son was just about to turn one and not quite walking and just loves those splash pads. The Samawati pool has an amazing little kids area just to the left of the pool. There is a bit of a playground, small paddling pool, and tons of water squirters/spash zones. We had no problems at all, just walked right in, and spent a couple of hours there before heading to Sanaa for dinner. It wasn't busy either. We had the kids area all to ourselves the whole time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!