2019 Pool Hopping Restrictions

DisneyMum2018

Earning My Ears
Has anyone noticed that it looks like the pool hopping restriction list has changed for 2019? All GF pools are restricted (I thought previously you could hop to at least some of the GF pools) but it looks like Animal Kingdom Lodge pools are OFF the restriction list? I love the AKL pools so this would be great news if pool hopping is allowed there now....has anyone tried to hop there or noticed the change?

From the member website:
How it Works
Swim, slide, splash, play and lounge—with several unique pool options to suit your style.

When staying on your Membership at any Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World Resort or at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, you and any Guests staying with you are permitted to take advantage of complimentary alternative pool use, which provides access to:

• The pool or pools at the Disney Vacation Club Resort where you are staying
  • Select pools at Disney Vacation Club Resorts
  • Select pools at Walt Disney World Resort hotels
Note: Capacity limits and blockout dates apply. To find out about pool-access availability, please check with a host or hostess at the front desk of the Resort you wish to visit.

You must present your MagicBand or valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card to use the other Resort hotel pools.

Show Less Show less about How it Works
pool-hopping-father-daughter-plays-in-water-16x9.jpg

Know Before You Go
View details about capacity limits, blockout dates, excluded pools and more.

Capacity Limitations

If the pool you are visiting reaches capacity, you may be asked to leave in order to accommodate Guests of that Resort hotel. Please check with a host or hostess at the front desk of the Resort you wish to visit before you go to find out about pool-access availability.

Blockout Dates

Resort hotel pools may become unavailable from time to time due to capacity limitations. Due to the high occupancy that is expected, you and your overnight guests may not pool hop during the following dates:

• Friday, May 24, 2019 through Monday, May 27, 2019
  • Sunday, June 30, 2019 through Saturday, July 6, 2019
  • Friday, August 30, 2019 through Monday, September 2, 2019
  • Monday, November 25, 2019 through Saturday, November 30, 2019
  • Friday, December 20, 2019 through Thursday, January 2, 2020
As a reminder, please be mindful of the limited number of pool chairs available, and refrain from leaving towels or personal items on unoccupied pool chairs.

Important Information

• Pool hopping is not available at the following pools—with no exceptions to this policy:
    • Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort – Bay Cove Pool
    • Disney's Art of Animation Resort – pools
    • Disney’s Beach Club Villas – leisure pool
    • Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa – pools
    • Disney's Polynesian Village Resort – The Lava Pool and leisure pool
    • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge – Boulder Ridge Cove Pool and The Copper Creek Springs Pool
    • Disney's Yacht Club Resort and Disney’s Beach Club Resort – Stormalong Bay
  • Other restricted dates than those listed above may be added based on projected pool capacity or maintenance needs.
  • Alternative pool use is subject to change or discontinuation at the sole discretion of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
  • Complimentary alternative pool use (pool hopping) is not considered a Membership Extra. This benefit is offered to all Disney Vacation Club Members, regardless of how they purchased.

It seems to me you are right that AKV pools used to be off limits for pool hopping....or have we both remembered incorrectly?

We have only pool hopped to the Riverside pool, it was fun for my then young grandchildren. That was the first slide they ever went down.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that it looks like the pool hopping restriction list has changed for 2019? All GF pools are restricted (I thought previously you could hop to at least some of the GF pools) but it looks like Animal Kingdom Lodge pools are OFF the restriction list? I love the AKL pools so this would be great news if pool hopping is allowed there now....has anyone tried to hop there or noticed the change?
You are correct. The AK pools used to be restricted.

Speaking of pools, sorry if off topic, :offtopic:anyone know if there will be magic band access for guests of the Riviera pool? :confused3Hope so, this looks like this will be an awesome pool which if not gated by MB, could be a “free for all” since the gondola will be dropping off and getting on right there. Thanks!:wave:

Very interesting that they would add GF to the restrictions but allow AKV. AKV+AKL have arguably the best pools on property besides BCV, but it's probably too far out of the way for most people to bother. I personally love the GF pools but I know many don't consider them to be anything special.

Last edited:
Reactions: cm8

People here were very concerned about pool crashers at BLT. Is it a problem there? The gate does restrict access. Would that be enough for you at Riviera? Before the fence there were complaints about crashers at BWV, does that still happen?

I do not know the answers, but only SAB has people to block access. I do not see something that stringent at Riviera, but using your MB to open the gate should prevent some from trying to get in.

Is pool hopping available to those staying with someone else’s points? (either renters or relatives).

Is pool hopping available to those staying with someone else’s points? (either renters or relatives).
No. Renters do not get any DVC member perks at all. You need a member ID card.

Gotcha.

If we travel with my sister (who is a member) and stay with her points, but in separate villas, would we be considered her guests and allowed to pool hop with her?

People here were very concerned about pool crashers at BLT. Is it a problem there? The gate does restrict access. Would that be enough for you at Riviera? Before the fence there were complaints about crashers at BWV, does that still happen?

I do not know the answers, but only SAB has people to block access. I do not see something that stringent at Riviera, but using your MB to open the gate should prevent some from trying to get in.
Do any of the pools have locked gates, fences now? I read where Disney was going to stop that because of insurance purposes in regards to EMTs, firemen, ect getting to the pool quickly.

Very interesting that they would add GF to the restrictions but allow AKV. AKV+AKL have arguably the best pools on property besides BCV, but it's probably too far out of the way for most people to bother. I personally love the GF pools but I know many don't consider them to be anything special.
I wonder if they want to increase traffic to the resort restaurants because it is out the way? We always visit Boma and Sanaa which can be a mission without a car but we will definitely do a half day this trip and use the pool after Brunch at Boma

We were at the Grand last week, and the pools were jammed! We couldn’t have fit any hoppers in that pool if we tried with a shoehorn!!

Do any of the pools have locked gates, fences now? I read where Disney was going to stop that because of insurance purposes in regards to EMTs, firemen, ect getting to the pool quickly.
Well, the last time we were at BLT....do not remember when exactly, but you did need your band to open gate. At Poly last month, we would walk through the pool area to refill mugs, and I honestly do not remember if I needed the band. I just asked DH, he said you needed it.

Gotcha.

If we travel with my sister (who is a member) and stay with her points, but in separate villas, would we be considered her guests and allowed to pool hop with her?
Technically, no. You must be staying on her reservation (in her villa) not a separate reservation.

I wonder if the decided to allow AKL because they were restricting GF. If too many people take advantage of pool hopping at AKL then they’ll add it back to the list? With the monorail GF is easy to hop to and much nicer the CR (the only other MK area pool not restricted)

Technically, no. You must be staying on her reservation (in her villa) not a separate reservation.

Thank you. This is the first I hear of this benefit, so it's good to understand the rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!