2019 points...WWYD?

SecondEventuality

Mouseketeer
Hey all!

So we recently bought two 50 point contracts through Disney directly for OKW and our use year is August - with both contracts we received 2019 points, so we have 100 pts ready to roll in our account right now. However, we aren't planning to go to WDW until November 2020 and even then using all 100 will be a stretch since 7 nights in a studio during Choice Season is only 78 points, so I'm seeing if we can do 9 nights instead to use as much as possible each year. Maybe even a split stay with another resort?

What would you do with them? Rent, transfer, bank, or something else like stay in a nicer resort for 200 pts during Nov trip?

Just curious to see if there are options that I haven't considered since I'm new to all this! Thanks! :)

I would consider using them, but in a way to stretch for over a few years. I love split stays but what you could do is shoot for banking them.

Then look at getting a better view or larger room. Maybe shoot for using 125 points. if you did that, it take 4 years in which you could get a little more out of the trip in terms of better views, larger rooms or even a few extra nights!

i had thought about this for my new RIV points. Maybe transfer to offset costs. Well, I decided that I could squeeze in another trip, cover more of my June trip with those points, and upgrade a few more trips to VGF or ensure I can book preferred studios if I can’t get SV at RIV.

Remember, if you bank 2019 to use, you can always rent or transfer 2020 if you can’t find a way to use all of them. No need to make the decision before you try for your first trip just next month!

I would consider using them, but in a way to stretch for over a few years.

Interesting idea, Sandi! Thank you! So basically always having an excess that provides flexibility and banking means that no points ever expire since when you make a reservation, it will always grab the oldest points first?

Remember, if you bank 2019 to use, you can always rent or transfer 2020 if you can’t find a way to use all of them. No need to make the decision before you try for your first trip just next month!

Thank you! For some reason, I thought even banking means they expire, but I guess they don't as long as you know you're going every year and there's no rush!

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Be careful, sticking with your original scenario of booking a studio in Nov 2020 for 78 points you will have 22 left expiring in July 2021 that are not bankable, they will expire if not used by July 31 2021.

Would it be a good idea to rent the points out as a discount to ensure they all get rented and if so, what should I look out for? I guess the idea is to rent them all out prior to the banking window closing in March, correct? Or it doesn't matter?

Would it be a good idea to rent the points out as a discount to ensure they all get rented and if so, what should I look out for? I guess the idea is to rent them all out prior to the banking window closing in March, correct? Or it doesn't matter?

If you decide to put them up for rent, then yes, you’d want to offer as soon as possible so that if you don’t rent them or change your mind, you’d still be able to bank those 2019 points.

But, just to confirm, if you bank 2019 into 2020, and book your November 2029 trip, either use all 100 or if you don’t, then whatever are left can be rented with some of your 2020 UY points.

For example, say you stick with your 78 point rooms. Now you have 22 points that must be used by July 31st, 2021. You could offer those, plus some of your 2020 UY points for rent.

There is no downside that I can see in not banking and using those for the first trip, unless you know for sure you will not travel in 2021...but then again, if you skip a year of travel, you always need to make sure you use up all 100 or you will be in the same place.

You're DVC, there is no such thing as extra points, before you know it you'll need more points. The struggle is real. :rotfl2:

I'm with @Sandisw on this one. Roll them forward and sip away at them over time. Just be sure to fully use 100% of your banked points in the following year, or Nov 2020 as the first instance. Go with the slightly longer stay, or better view, or larger unit to accomplish that goal. Keep rolling leftover points into the following UY; vacation; repeat.

What a fun problem to have!

Definitely make a note of the banking deadline, and maybe hold off on banking until you are absolutely sure you won't take a trip before 7-31-20. I wish we'd had your reserve. Our first contract came with points in our current UY, but we had noplans to use them, so we banked them. So far, so good. Except that in year 2, we had over 300 points between banked and current UY, and rather than use the banked points and bank the current points, we blew them all and then some on 2 trips, one in a 1BR over President's week, and another in a 2BR over Thanksgiving. In short, we gulped when we should have sipped... we had been planning annual trips in a moderate season, alternating years in a studio and a 1BR.

If you are not going until Nov 2020, you really need to find a way to use all 100 of the Aug 2019 points by no later than July 2021 (their last possible use month if you bank the 2019 points). The easiest way is to add nights to that Nov 2020 trip, or move up to a 1BR for all or part of it, or take another trip during the 2020-21 use year. As to your suggestion of getting another resort for more points , e.g., over 100 so you use all the 2019 points, be aware that at 7 months out for any time in Nov, your options elsewhere, particularly for a studio, will be limited. That is during DVC's high fall demand season when getting rooms at 7 months out can be difficult, except possibly at SSR and some possibility at AKV. Moreover, if you want time in Thanksgiving week, the Thursday through Sun of the Wine & Dine race weekend (Nov 5-8), or the last weekend of Food & Wine (Nov 13-15), three extremely high DVC demand times, even SSR could be gone before 7 months out.

Just take an extra trip. Next thing you know you’ll be taking 2-3 a year and have 400 points. I would bank them and maybe try to stay at a more point hungry resort or a 1 bedroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!