2019 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 29-November 23, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW - did you eat enough designated cheese-related items to try the “Exclusive Fromage Montage Complimentary Cheesecake” from Shimmering Sips? If so, did it taste good and how was the portion size?
We got our cheesecake today. It was... disappointing. It is literally 2 bites of cheesecake with a little white chocolate disc on top.
fromage_montage_cheesecake.jpg

We were back at it again today. Today we tried 10 new items (meaning we haven't had them this year), bringing our total to 55 items tried this year.

Ropa Vieja Empanada (Islands of the Caribbean) - 8.0 - Tastes exactly like last year. Somewhat crispy, with tasty shredded beef inside. Tomato aioli helps keep it from being too dry.

ropa_vieja_empanada.jpg

Wuxi Spareribs (China) - 7.5 - Very meaty and tender. Flavor was pretty good but not great. There is a hint of sweetness.

wuxi_spareribs.jpg

Quesito (Islands of the Caribbean) - 7.5 - Flaky, with lots of cream cheese inside. I wish there was more guava sauce.

quesito.jpg

Croissant aux Escargots (France) - 7.0 - Not as garlicky or buttery as I remembered. Still pretty good.

croissant_aux_escargots.jpg

New Brunswick Slider (Hops & Barley) - 7.0 - This would be an 8.0 if it wasn't drowning in the horseradish sauce. The meat was tender and flavorful, and the fried onions added a nice crunch.

new_brunswick_slider.jpg

Teriyaki Chicken Bun (Japan) - 7.0 - I didn't try this, but my wife said "It's okay. It's sweet and savory with a heavy ginger flavor".

teriyaki_chicken_bun.jpg

Piri Piri Skewered Shrimp (Africa) - 7.0 - These tasted heavily of paprika. I like paprika, so they were okay. Unfortunately, they were quite overcooked and rubbery.

piri_piri_skewered_shrimp.jpg

Fromage Montage Cheesecake (Shimmering Sips) - 7.0 - This is the reward for completing Emile's Fromage Montage. It's tiny, like two bites worth. It tastes like regular cheesecake with a white chocolate disc on top.

Frangipane Peach Tart (Sommerfest) - 6.5 - Wasn't quite sweet enough for me. The peach is from a can.

frangipane_peach_tart.jpg

Roasted Irish Sausage (Ireland) - 5.5 - My wife and I both didn't care for this. Had a weird spice profile going on.

roasted_irish_sausage.jpg

We were back at it again today. Today we tried 10 new items (meaning we haven't had them this year), bringing our total to 55 items tried this year.

Ropa Vieja Empanada (Islands of the Caribbean) - 8.0 - Tastes exactly like last year. Somewhat crispy, with tasty shredded beef inside. Tomato aioli helps keep it from being too dry.

ropa_vieja_empanada.jpg

Wuxi Spareribs (China) - 7.5 - Very meaty and tender. Flavor was pretty good but not great. There is a hint of sweetness.

wuxi_spareribs.jpg

Quesito (Islands of the Caribbean) - 7.5 - Flaky, with lots of cream cheese inside. I wish there was more guava sauce.

quesito.jpg

Croissant aux Escargots (France) - 7.0 - Not as garlicky or buttery as I remembered. Still pretty good.

New Brunswick Slider (Hops & Barley) - 7.0 - This would be an 8.0 if it wasn't drowning in the horseradish sauce. The meat was tender and flavorful, and the fried onions added a nice crunch.

new_brunswick_slider.jpg

Teriyaki Chicken Bun (Japan) - 7.0 - I didn't try this, but my wife said "It's okay. It's sweet and savory with a heavy ginger flavor".

teriyaki_chicken_bun.jpg

Piri Piri Skewered Shrimp (Africa) - 7.0 - These tasted heavily of paprika. I like paprika, so they were okay. Unfortunately, they were quite overcooked and rubbery.

Fromage Montage Cheesecake (Shimmering Sips) - 7.0 - This is the reward for completing Emile's Fromage Montage. It's tiny, like two bites worth. It tastes like regular cheesecake with a white chocolate disc on top.

Frangipane Peach Tart (Sommerfest) - 6.5 - Wasn't quite sweet enough for me. The peach is from a can.

Roasted Irish Sausage (Ireland) - 5.5 - My wife and I both didn't care for this. Had a weird spice profile going on.

Great reviews and photos!
Thanks for sharing.

We got our cheesecake today. It was... disappointing. It is literally 2 bites of cheesecake with a little white chocolate disc on top.

I’ve seen that before, and for that I have to eat that bread in Brazil that I found absolutely disgusting. Sorry a tiny free cheesecake isn’t worth the cost 😁

Any reports from PFTS last night?

Last edited:
Also, this is the same location where the cooking and beverage seminars are being held. We asked one of the staff about the cooking demos, since there are no ovens, sinks, etc in the stage area. She said that the chefs go through the preparation of the ingredients (cutting, chopping, etc) and then they hand out the food that is already prepared. You do not get to see them actually COOK anything. I understand that there are location issues this year with all the Epcot renovations being done, but expected Disney to at least try to make things work. We have one more Mix-It scheduled; I do not have high hopes.
Wow, thanks for the review. You would think that regardless of the state of Epcot renovations, if it is a cooking seminar, there should be cooking...

I attended today’s “Brunch With…” event. The featured chef today was Fabio Viviani. You’d most likely know him from two seasons of Top Chef but he’s also been on other shows as well. Overall, I enjoyed it very much (I should note that I am a Top Chef superfan) but I’m still a little on the fence about this format in which it’s a Q&A with the chef vs. seeing them cook anything. You do get to try one of their dishes, however. And I do continue to like that it is held in the World ShowPlace where the only people admitted are those with tickets - it just feels more special than the events "back in the day" where there were bystanders on the other side of the hedge dividers sitting on benches and listening/watching for free.

For @SarahInMN and anyone else wondering about logistics, here’s how the day went for me. Of course they could always change up their procedure so take it with a grain of salt. The event was due to start at 11:30am. Around 10:35 am I walked past World ShowPlace (between the Canada and UK pavilions) and the big gate was closed and no CMs were at the info booth yet (on the left by the umbrellas - they wheel out a desk).

img-8527-2-jpg.436055

All the food kiosks along this stretch were already open so I walked a bit and got a mimosa and then came back to World ShowPlace ~10:50. At this time the big gates were open (doors into the building itself closed) and there were two CMs at the info kiosk on the left. I asked about check-in and was told that it would begin at 11. I went over to the UK for a minute and came back ~10:55 and they had just begun checking in – you go through the big gates and there will be a registration table set up. You only had to give your name – I didn’t have to show ID. You were given a paper ticket with your table name on it but it was never collected or checked again.

I specifically asked and was told that tables were pre-assigned. I heard them tell several other parties that as well. I did, however, also overhear a party of 3 who had purchased their tickets separately and they were able to rearrange the seating so they could be together. Tables are assigned but your seat at the table (six seats at each table) are first-come-first-select. I lucked out with a table front and center. As an aside there are five rows of five tables – each with 6 seats set so that no one has their back to the stage. Not all tables were full for this event but I believe it was shown as sold-out. They use the very same room and table set-up for other events throughout the day so perhaps the culinary and beverage demos are structured to allow more participants. The first picture is taken from the middle of the room - looking straight on with the doorway directly behind me. The second is the right part of the stage. The third is the left part of the stage (the left portion was never used for this event).

After check-in, we were told we could either “hang out” and that they’d open the doors at 11:15 or we were welcome to come back closer to 11:30. I opted to wait and it was hot. They do have a tent-like structure that provided shade but it also blocked any breeze. They ultimately didn’t open the doors until 11:25 or so.

We were greeted at the door with a glass of prosecco. As with last year, there would be no refills. I understand why they wouldn’t want to offer a “bottomless” option but I’m sticking with my feedback from last year that at $165 per person and a 2-hour event, they could have offered a refill but it was fine. They did come around and refill the water, orange juice and coffee regularly.

A little after 11:30 the host came out to intro the event, explain the format, and offer her standard toast. First we’d get some food from the buffet, then a conversation with Fabio and then mid-way through the conversation they’d serve his dish. Here was the menu. In years past the core menu has remained the same for all events and only the chef-specific item has differed. I’m not a big breakfast person but I really enjoyed everything I tried today. They called us up table by table to avoid buffet chaos.

After ~40 minutes, the host came out and introduced Fabio. He was awesome. Really engaging and great storyteller. The host was fine but I’m not sure how this event goes with a chef who isn’t as extroverted. Unlike last year, there was no opportunity to submit questions but the conversation flowed well without any lulls. Fabio’s dish – tiramisu french toast -- was delicious.

They wrapped up the conversation ~1 and from 1-1:30 were the photo opps. They again called us up by table although some decided to get up ~10 min before the conversation ended to be first in line. At this point all the food has been removed and there are no more refills on anything … in fact they’re actively clearing tables in order to turn the room around for a 2:30 demo. Our table was last and I took my picture right around 1:25. There was a photo pass photographer available and also CMs who would take your phone. They definitely tried to keep the line moving. He did sign things but there wasn’t a table so he had to hold it in his hand to sign (most seemed to have him sign the menu but I saw a few had his books -- as an aside books were available for sale in Port of Entry but not in World ShowPlace).

He was scheduled to do a general book signing over in the Port of Entry store beginning at 1:30. I stopped in there for something else and asked about the process. I was told that you have to sign up in person on the day of. Not sure what time the store opens - it was open at 10:40 today when I was over there. There was no discernable queue and the store is pretty crowded so I'm not sure how they were going to manage everything. I saw that they were also doing a bottle signing there later in the day. And I know someone in this thread asked about purchasing bottles of wine – they have replaced several shelves of merchandise with various wines.

All in all, I had a great time and am really glad that I had the opportunity to see Fabio. He was even more awesome than I hoped he'd be. The food was very good but probably not $165 good so if not a fan of the chef, I’m not sure what the feedback would be. If looking for the best available brunch, I'd rank California Grill and Wine Bar George above this … but I did feel like the food was improved and options elevated vs. last year. I approach this event as an opportunity (albeit a splurge) to see a chef I'm a fan of and if the buffet food is good it's an unexpected bonus -- which it definitely was this year.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone has any – but again, they could switch up the process.

Last edited:
Has anyone here participated in a Candy Sushi session yet this year? I have it booked for DD7 and me later this week and was curious to hear a review.

For @SarahInMN and anyone else wondering about logistics, here’s how the day went for me. Of course they could always change up their procedure so take it with a grain of salt.

Thank you so much for the detailed logistics! I’m just thrilled we don’t have to be there two hours early. And the photopass photographers are a nice touch.

Since there is no festival center this year, are there full bottles of the festival wines available for purchase this year in any one particular spot? Or, are we out of luck this year? I was really hoping to bring home a bottle of that sparking blueberry and key lime again this year.

I noticed today in the Port of Entry store (where Future World meets World Showcase - opposite the Shimmering Sips kiosk) they have several shelves of wine. I'm not sure if the sparkling wine you're thinking about is among them - if you recognize the bottle maybe you can tell from these pictures. And the regular stores in Germany, Italy and France (possibly America too) all still offer bottles as well - but I don't think they're specific to the festival. I think the same "rules" apply in that you can't leave with the bottle but they will send to either exit for you to pick up.

IMG-8548 (2).JPG

IMG-8549 (2).JPG

IMG-8550 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I have been many times to the F & W festival to see Sugar Ray. I know they are crowded but on my last two days, I am going to see 98 Degrees. I know a lot of people love boy bands so I wanted to get an upfront seat to see Nick Lashay. My question is how does the ETTB dining packages work. I have never done this before. I don't want to sit in the stand by lines all night and miss out so I am going to eat at a new restaurant for me Rose and Crown. TIA :)

I attended today’s “Brunch With…” event. The featured chef today was Fabio Viviani. You’d most likely know him from two seasons of Top Chef but he’s also been on other shows as well. Overall, I enjoyed it very much (I should note that I am a Top Chef superfan) but I’m still a little on the fence about this format in which it’s a Q&A with the chef vs. seeing them cook anything. You do get to try one of their dishes, however. And I do continue to like that it is held in the World ShowPlace where the only people admitted are those with tickets - it just feels more special than the events "back in the day" where there were bystanders on the other side of the hedge dividers sitting on benches and listening/watching for free.

For @SarahInMN and anyone else wondering about logistics, here’s how the day went for me. Of course they could always change up their procedure so take it with a grain of salt. The event was due to start at 11:30am. Around 10:35 am I walked past World ShowPlace (between the Canada and UK pavilions) and the big gate was closed and no CMs were at the info booth yet (on the left by the umbrellas - they wheel out a desk).

View attachment 436062
img-8527-2-jpg.436055

All the food kiosks along this stretch were already open so I walked a bit and got a mimosa and then came back to World ShowPlace ~10:50. At this time the big gates were open (doors into the building itself closed) and there were two CMs at the info kiosk on the left. I asked about check-in and was told that it would begin at 11. I went over to the UK for a minute and came back ~10:55 and they had just begun checking in – you go through the big gates and there will be a registration table set up. You only had to give your name – I didn’t have to show ID. You were given a paper ticket with your table name on it but it was never collected or checked again.

I specifically asked and was told that tables were pre-assigned. I heard them tell several other parties that as well. I did, however, also overhear a party of 3 who had purchased their tickets separately and they were able to rearrange the seating so they could be together. Tables are assigned but your seat at the table (six seats at each table) are first-come-first-select. I lucked out with a table front and center. As an aside there are five rows of five tables – each with 6 seats set so that no one has their back to the stage. Not all tables were full for this event but I believe it was shown as sold-out. They use the very same room and table set-up for other events throughout the day so perhaps the culinary and beverage demos are structured to allow more participants. The first picture is taken from the middle of the room - looking straight on with the doorway directly behind me. The second is the right part of the stage. The third is the left part of the stage (the left portion was never used for this event).

View attachment 436056

View attachment 436057

View attachment 436067

After check-in, we were told we could either “hang out” and that they’d open the doors at 11:15 or we were welcome to come back closer to 11:30. I opted to wait and it was hot. They do have a tent-like structure that provided shade but it also blocked any breeze. They ultimately didn’t open the doors until 11:25 or so.

We were greeted at the door with a glass of prosecco. As with last year, there would be no refills. I understand why they wouldn’t want to offer a “bottomless” option but I’m sticking with my feedback from last year that at $165 per person and a 2-hour event, they could have offered a refill but it was fine. They did come around and refill the water, orange juice and coffee regularly.

A little after 11:30 the host came out to intro the event, explain the format, and offer her standard toast. First we’d get some food from the buffet, then a conversation with Fabio and then mid-way through the conversation they’d serve his dish. Here was the menu. In years past the core menu has remained the same for all events and only the chef-specific item has differed. I’m not a big breakfast person but I really enjoyed everything I tried today. They called us up table by table to avoid buffet chaos.

View attachment 436058

After ~40 minutes, the host came out and introduced Fabio. He was awesome. Really engaging and great storyteller. The host was fine but I’m not sure how this event goes with a chef who isn’t as extroverted. Unlike last year, there was no opportunity to submit questions but the conversation flowed well without any lulls. Fabio’s dish – tiramisu french toast -- was delicious.

View attachment 436059

They wrapped up the conversation ~1 and from 1-1:30 were the photo opps. They again called us up by table although some decided to get up ~10 min before the conversation ended to be first in line. At this point all the food has been removed and there are no more refills on anything … in fact they’re actively clearing tables in order to turn the room around for a 2:30 demo. Our table was last and I took my picture right around 1:25. There was a photo pass photographer available and also CMs who would take your phone. They definitely tried to keep the line moving. He did sign things but there wasn’t a table so he had to hold it in his hand to sign (most seemed to have him sign the menu but I saw a few had his books -- as an aside books were available for sale in Port of Entry but not in World ShowPlace).

He was scheduled to do a general book signing over in the Port of Entry store beginning at 1:30. I stopped in there for something else and asked about the process. I was told that you have to sign up in person on the day of. Not sure what time the store opens - it was open at 10:40 today when I was over there. There was no discernable queue and the store is pretty crowded so I'm not sure how they were going to manage everything. I saw that they were also doing a bottle signing there later in the day. And I know someone in this thread asked about purchasing bottles of wine – they have replaced several shelves of merchandise with various wines.

All in all, I had a great time and am really glad that I had the opportunity to see Fabio. He was even more awesome than I hoped he'd be. The food was very good but probably not $165 good so if not a fan of the chef, I’m not sure what the feedback would be. If looking for the best available brunch, I'd rank California Grill and Wine Bar George above this … but I did feel like the food was improved and options elevated vs. last year. I approach this event as an opportunity (albeit a splurge) to see a chef I'm a fan of and if the buffet food is good it's an unexpected bonus -- which it definitely was this year.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone has any – but again, they could switch up the process.
Thanks for the detailed write-up! We're attending the Andrew Zimmern brunch, and it's good to know the logistics haven't changed much from last year.

Thank you Christine for the details. You seemed to have a great location. Did you sign up on the first available day? I'm wondering if the tables are randomly assigned or if they're assigned from front to back by purchase date. I received my Magical Express tags today so my time is finally coming.....

I just read @2xcited2sleep review above and I didn't realize there are book signings. Is there a list online somewhere that says when and where these are held?
I haven't seen a list of just signings (book & bottle) but that would be nice. I think it safe to assume that every chef doing the "Sunday Brunch With" will also do a signing. Probably also true of any wine maker or vineyard owner who is doing a beverage demo. Not sure if there are celeb chefs doing a food and beverage pairing but not a brunch who might also do a signing? I know there are quite a few celeb chefs doing the 11/9 Party for the Senses - not sure if any would do a signing the day before/of/after. Your best bet is probably to stop at either the information kiosk outside the World ShowPlace or stop into Port of Entry and ask. In Port of Entry they had a "sandwich board" type sign that listed all of the signings for the day.

I have been many times to the F & W festival to see Sugar Ray. I know they are crowded but on my last two days, I am going to see 98 Degrees. I know a lot of people love boy bands so I wanted to get an upfront seat to see Nick Lashay. My question is how does the ETTB dining packages work. I have never done this before. I don't want to sit in the stand by lines all night and miss out so I am going to eat at a new restaurant for me Rose and Crown. TIA :)

I've not done the Eat to the Beat package but I believe it works like the Candlelight Processional package (with a lower "take rate", I think). Purchase of a package guarantees you a seat in the arena … they will seat all package holders (who are in line at a reasonable time -- i.e. you can't show up 15 min late) first before opening the standby line. But purchasing a package doesn't guarantee a specific seat (e.g. row 1 seat A) -- it's a bit of a civilized "free for all" once admitted where you are free to select your row and seat. So if having an "upfront" seat is important to you, I think even with the package that you'd want to line up in advance -- certainly not all night or as long as the standby line but maybe a good 60-90 min? Again, depending on how important your seat is to you. I think 98 Degrees are pretty popular still. Note that the package and standby lines are different. Check signs but typically the package line forms toward Japan and the standby line forms toward Italy.

Thanks for the detailed write-up! We're attending the Andrew Zimmern brunch, and it's good to know the logistics haven't changed much from last year.

I attended an event or 2 with him in years past and he's tremendous. Amazing story-teller, fascinating perspective, and seems to be an all-around great person. I'm regretting not purchasing a ticket for his event as well. I hope you enjoy. And love the sortable list and ratings of 2019 items linked in your signature!! I will use that as a guide on my next visit for sure.

Thank you Christine for the details. You seemed to have a great location. Did you sign up on the first available day? I'm wondering if the tables are randomly assigned or if they're assigned from front to back by purchase date. I received my Magical Express tags today so my time is finally coming.....

Ah! I didn't think about time of order as a potential impact on seat selection. I did purchase with the AP/DVC advance booking and it was my #1 choice/first event booked so it could be. While I didn't ask specifically when they'd signed up, the others at the table were all F&W veterans so it's possible we were all early purchasers. I also attended solo and sometimes I find that to be a benefit as well

Last edited:

ropa_vieja_empanada.jpg

wuxi_spareribs.jpg

quesito.jpg

new_brunswick_slider.jpg

teriyaki_chicken_bun.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter