2019 DXDP - are you allowed to share? Post your ACTUAL experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why some people are so worried about this. The bottom line is that Disney made a decision, based on their bottom line, to allow sharing of credits. Before my trip, I spoke with several CMs and Guest Services reps who told me unequivocally that sharing is allowed, and I got an email confirmation of this. I had zero problems sharing adult credits with another adult not on the plan at any of the 9 restaurants we visited. If some people are not happy that other people are allowed to share credits, then they don't have to buy the product.

Also, I have no problems whatsoever if Disney decides to change the product they are selling (in this case, the DxDP), as long as they are clear and transparent about it. That means putting the new dining plan policy on their website (as was the case for the pre-2014 DDP guidelines) and informing all CMs and Guest Service reps about the change. I can then decide whether or not I want to purchase their product. Someone on this thread said that CMs are the last to know about Disney policy changes. I don't buy that. If a Disney exec makes a decision to change the DxDP product, I can't call that exec to get the information needed to decide whether or not I want to buy the product. I can only call the Disney numbers and talk to a CM or Guest Services rep for information. Disney, as with all reputable companies, needs to be open and honest about what they are selling.

I know the rules are vague and can be interpreted in different ways,
What matters is his Disney determines it - at this time, most locations are determining it as "order as many meals as you want at one sitting. They don't care what I think :D but I'm not violating any forum guidelines by providing (a) my interpretation; (b) my opinions; and (c) views in opposition to other posted views.
but it does state "You can redeem your meals and snacks in any order during your stay, until the number of meals and snacks associated with your package has been depleted.
On the other hand, nothing in that statement says or implies "...for as many diners as you want at one sitting."

I'm sure I'm the only one who thinks this but I don't understand why guests think it's okay to share credits on any dining plan. If a party of 3 guests have booked their package with the dining plan, that only entitles those three to use the credits since they paid for it. If another family/friend party booked without the dining plan, then they would pay out of pocket. Sharing credits sort of sounds like cheating the system. I'm expecting lots of flames in response to this but I would never think of trying to use whatever credits I have left to cover five othermeals when I only have 3 guests on my reservation. If I wanted to help a family/friend out towards their dining, I would either buy them Disney gift cards or pay to add dining plan to their reservation.

Okay...after getting negative responses and rethinking what I said, I want to clarify that if it's okay with Disney to share credits, then I'm all for it. I think I was getting the wrong impression from previous posts that guests were purposely buying the dining plan on only one reservation so that they wouldn't have to buy it on one or two other reservations and sharing them without following Disney's guidelines. I was only trying to imply that if it was against rules, then that would be considered cheating the system (to me it would be like buying park tickets for one reservation and having others in another reservation get in for free but the dining plan is different since it's based on credits). We've had leftover snack credits on the last day and used them to purchase snacks to take home to either eat ourselves or share with family at home so I guess we were doing the same thing as sharing meal credits lol

March 7-15 Sharing Report

The Wave
Crystal Palace
Mama Melrose
The Boathouse
Rose & Crown
Boma
Chef Mickeys
Spirit of Aloha show
Akershus Princess Lunch
San Angel
1900 Park Fare
Hoop Dee Doo

No problems whatsoever with a party that rarely matched the room reservation in total guest number and child/adult split. I.e. sometimes more kids than listed on room, sometimes more adults than listed on room.

I emailed the Disney guest services email address and just received this response when I asked if I would have able to use my dining credits to pay for someone else's meal not on the dining plan.

"You may be interested to know that Disney Dining Plan allotments are intended to be used by the Guests on the corresponding Vacation Package reservation. When you arrive at each dining location, you may discuss your payment options with your server. Use of Disney Dining Plan allotments for Guests not on your Resort Reservation would be subject to the discretion of the location's manager.

We hope this information is helpful in your vacation planning, and we look forward to your upcoming visit!

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World website (currently only available by visiting the US site). Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Tabby Horst
eCommerce Sales and Service Team"

We added the DXDP to one room and are planning on sharing between our two room reservation in August. Should I be worried that we won't be able to share based on this email? I have made a bunch of ADR's for restaurants we would not normally eat at (based on OOP costs).

It would be very interesting to email again using a different email with the identical question and see what response you get.

It would be very interesting to email again using a different email with the identical question and see what response you get.

I agree! I copied/pasted the email I sent them and sent it through my work email just now. I will update when I get an answer.

Did you make it clear that you wished to share your adult credits with an adult who is not on the dining plan but is planning to dine with you? I spoke with two different CMs/Guest Services reps on the phone who said I absolutely could share my credits with someone dining with us. When I sent an email to Guest Services, I got a phone call from the rep stating unequivocally that I could share. I asked her to email me a confirmation which she did. As I mentioned in other posts, we shared our DxDP credits with my brother who was not on the dining plan and had zero issues at the 9 restaurants we visited. Not one question came up.

Did you make it clear that you wished to share your adult credits with an adult who is not on the dining plan but is planning to dine with you? I spoke with two different CMs/Guest Services reps on the phone who said I absolutely could share my credits with someone dining with us. When I sent an email to Guest Services, I got a phone call from the rep stating unequivocally that I could share. I asked her to email me a confirmation which she did. As I mentioned in other posts, we shared our DxDP credits with my brother who was not on the dining plan and had zero issues at the 9 restaurants we visited. Not one question came up.

This is my exact email
"Hi, I have a reservation booked in August and we are thinking about adding the deluxe dining plan. Are we able to use either table service, quick service or snack credits for people who aren't in our dining plan? Let's say we went out to dinner with another couple who didn't have a dining plan, would we be able to use our credits to pay for their meal?"

I've read this entire thread and the mixed results is frustrating.. especially when the DXDP is so expensive.. to not have the sharing work, but end up costing us a ton of money! But on the other hand, the only way we would be able to experience the different restaurants is to have the dining plan work for sharing. I'm very interested to see the response from my duplicate email sent from another email address.

This is my exact email
"Hi, I have a reservation booked in August and we are thinking about adding the deluxe dining plan. Are we able to use either table service, quick service or snack credits for people who aren't in our dining plan? Let's say we went out to dinner with another couple who didn't have a dining plan, would we be able to use our credits to pay for their meal?"

I've read this entire thread and the mixed results is frustrating.. especially when the DXDP is so expensive.. to not have the sharing work, but end up costing us a ton of money! But on the other hand, the only way we would be able to experience the different restaurants is to have the dining plan work for sharing. I'm very interested to see the response from my duplicate email sent from another email address.
Your email is very clear and, agree, it's very frustrating that Disney will not issue a consistent, clear and transparent policy on their dining plan product!

I just gave up on this whole debacle and decided to just get the dining plan for both rooms. I did a spreadsheet and based on where we wanted to eat, doing mostly character breakfasts and mostly signatures for dinner (with a few one credits mixed in) and just doing snack credits/sharing quick service OOP for lunch, we come our ahead even if we order the cheapest thing on the menu. Now i don't have to worry about it at all. It took more work to figure it all out but I'm glad i don't have to worry about it anymore.

No reason it would be different for different plans, but the only reports we've seen are from DxDDP as that is the easier plan to share.

Just remember with the regular DDP, kid's are required to order off the kid's menu at TS, so you can't use kid's credits for adult meals.

This makes sense but on other boards, people say they use the kid credits ( and bring pb&j for their picky eaters). Seems unethical tho

This makes sense but on other boards, people say they use the kid credits ( and bring pb&j for their picky eaters). Seems unethical tho

Any time you see people saying they use kid's credits to purchase an adult TS meal, they are talking about the DxDDP. TS meals on the regular DDP are separated and you cannot get an adult meal with a kid's credit.

However, on ALL plans you can use a kid's credit to purchase an adult QS meal as the QS credits are not separated and Disney doesn't seem to mind.

As to the ethics of it all, well I guess that is left to the individual for this one. Disney allows it and even encourages it when it comes to the DxDDP plan. Perhaps Disney needs to change the rules to conform with their own practices.

Just back from a 5 day trip with 3 adults on the room reservation and we mixed and matched about every way there is. Used DxDDP adult credits with absolutely no issues for the following:

Via Napoli (4 adults and 7 teenagers - 11 credits and they ate every bite! Wow!)
Boma Breakfast (4 adults - only two of us were on the room reservation)
The Wave Lunch (Shared a credit with my mom)
Flying Fish (4 adults - and it was an amazing meal!!)
Kona Cafe Breakfast (Shared 2 credits with 4 of us)
California Grill Brunch (4 adults)
Le Cellier (My parents used the last two credits to split a filet meal for lunch this afternoon)

No one cared in the slightest and all seemed relieved that we knew what we wanted to do and were educated on how to do it. :smooth:

We had a ticket problem and I asked about this issue when at the Epcot Customer Service Window. Cassie (who was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable with our ticket mess) said that there is not real "policy" and that each restaurant manager can pretty much do what they want. She said she has been working that position for a long time and has never had a complaint about credits not being able to be shared or split in all of her time there. She said she would be "very surprised" if we had any problem. Just another cast member statement FWIW. :flower3:

Just back from a 5 day trip with 3 adults on the room reservation and we mixed and matched about every way there is. Used DxDDP adult credits with absolutely no issues for the following:

Via Napoli (4 adults and 7 teenagers - 11 credits and they ate every bite! Wow!)
Le Cellier (My parents used the last two credits to split a filet meal for lunch this afternoon)

No one cared in the slightest and all seemed relieved that we knew what we wanted to do and were educated on how to do it. :smooth:

We had a ticket problem and I asked about this issue when at the Epcot Customer Service Window. Cassie (who was incredibly helpful and knowledgeable with our ticket mess) said that there is not real "policy" and that each restaurant manager can pretty much do what they want. She said she has been working that position for a long time and has never had a complaint about credits not being able to be shared or split in all of her time there. She said she would be "very surprised" if we had any problem. Just another cast member statement FWIW. :flower3:
Good to know thank you for reporting back!

Thanks for sharing your experience! I am relieved to hear no issues at Cali Grill brunch. That will be our first on-DxDDP meal of the trip and it would be a bummer to start the trip off on a difficult note.

Sounds like you had some amazing meals! Again, thanks so much for reporting back :)

Still here, but thus far we have had no issues. Not one server has even remotely hesitated when we have said deluxe and that we would like to use 7 (or 6 or 4 or however many) credits.

We have split stays at three resorts. First 3 people with DxDP for 1 night, then only 2 people on plan. (7 of us total, but we stayed in two rooms at the Polynesian for that portion of the trip. We only bought the plan for the room with 2 on the reservation, the other 5 had none.) All “adult” credits.

Olivia’s at OKW- 4 people
Ohana- 7 people
Skipper Canteen- 8 people (used 7 credits and paid OOP for daughter to order a kids meal)
Spice Road- 7 people (used 6 credits and one daughter just got appetizer and a drink. We wound up paying $0 besides tip. Our server said the extra app and drink were somehow covered by the DP.)
Sanaa- 4

Just curious how you can feed seven people paying for only two? Do you pay breakfast and lunch out of pocket?

Just curious how you can feed seven people paying for only two? Do you pay breakfast and lunch out of pocket?

We didn’t intend to feed all 7 with the dining plan. We just wanted to use the plan to do a few nicer meals and cut down on the cost for those. (I think it worked out to about $33 per credit)

The first night we had 3 people, so that was 9 credits. The other nights 2 people so that’s 6 credits. So, yes, it equates out to about 1 meal per day and we planned to pay OOP for our other meals.

We are 4 adults traveling with my 3 kids (13-20). We did 3 meals all together and two meals with just the 4 adults.

We honestly have hardly purchased any other food. My family never does the dining plan because we don’t like to eat that much at once, but my parents tend to focus on the food so this was a compromise. We have taken to-go food from every meal so leftovers have covered some of the other meals, we have had some snacks in the parks, and we brought a little bag of snacks from home. We have only purchased counter service meals twice so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!