2018 M&M McFlurry Marathon Weekend BOOKED

Come on ed I know you want to, it's fun.

Kris,

You so funny! :rotfl2:

No, I don't want to, really.

I ran the Disney Half in Jan 2015. It was fun. Made my target time with a whole 42 seconds to spare. :cool1:

I did the Disney Full in Jan 2017. I saw my wife and kids by the Poly, my mom and dad in the AK parking lot, finished upright next to an Elvis impersonator, and ate/drank heavily that night. :drinking1

For folks like you and McFlurry John, the Disney Marathon weekend is an annual event - for me, it's not.

I got two weeks in the Keys camping planned after Christmas then I am migrating north for two nights at the Fort for you and John and Bert to ring the dang cowbell on Saturday morning and do my fanboy best.

I still am wanting my McFlurry with John VN though.

Bama Ed

The 180 day Dining ADR window is rolling up on us this week. Today July 5 can book Jan 1. You runners need to eat to fuel your bodies for later in the week.

I have one day tentatively planned for the MK during the first week of January so I'll make some ADR for that one park day.

Then I'll leave a day to sleep in before I get the cowbell out for the DIS Half Marathon runners on Saturday.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
I keep asking bert what he wants for celebratory dinner on Sunday. We are thinking California Grille or Artist Point. Theme being a boat ride from the fort. It's his first marathon, even me as a veteran, sometimes I can eat Sunday but usually I can't. For me food bag goes on Monday. Figure either place we can survive on appetizers or entrees depending on what they want. Bert definitely wants to spend Monday in Epcot, lots of slow walking and self medicating.

Hi all !!!! Been AWOL since knees are krapola shape for walking. Really bugging me cause I have to start preparing, or not and then wind up just pusing through the pain.

Bama Ed--I could pick up some McFlurries in advance as per request and have a McFlurry Social on Friday before Kris's half and Bert's first and maybe my last and your---how come why not???

Kris--is there a detour planned for Bert at mile 15+ or might you hand him a warm coffee from McD's :) if it's freezing?

Cycling is priority since I have my goal of 400 miles in 24 hours for a RAAM Qualifying attempt in February at Bike Sebring 12/24 Hours. Last weekend from 10:10PM Friday to 1:00PM Saturday I biked 202 miles to celebrate a triple my age of 67 next Tuesday then added the extra mile for a palindrome distance. Have a lot of training to do to get within the needed time frame. Kathy and I had dinner at Paddlefish with her sister/husband on the 4th and we all enjoyed the food. I had their Bloody Mary and a first time ever King Crab leg that came in it.

Why not indeed John?

I added a third Fort night to my reservation so now I have scheduled Wed-Thu-Fri nights. Then Saturday morning I will cheer on the Halfers early in the AM and pull out headed home. My other reservations down in the Keys are a mish-mash of dates to provide flexibility which I will have to clean up closer to time. I'd like to do 3 nights at the Fort because then I could squeeze in a park day. If I only did 2 nights, that would be too tight.

Saturday morning I'll make a few ADR's to sit on and then watch the training updates from all you fast runners.

Bama Ed

PS - good luck on your cycling miles

Last edited:

Ed-my coral is going to be based on a real good Space Coast Half Marathon last year. I will need EVERY MINUTE that a good forward coral will afford. Will be walking v-e-r-y slooooooow-ly.

garneska,

Time for a training update.

How is Bert coming along on his training for the Full in January 2018? Is my 6 hr 56 min record from last year going to stand up? I'll be the first to ring my cowbell for him if/when he comes in with a time less than this.

Bama Ed

PS - these cool mornings have got me remembering training from last year

Last edited:
Finally getting around to posting. Bert is doing very well with his training. He got in a 15 miler so far. On the other hand, I am not doing so well. I have a hip injury, over use. I am off it for three weeks. I hope that is enough. To make it even better I got sick. Today I finally managed to get on the recumbent bike which will be my friend for the next few weeks. It will still leave me about 12 weeks of training for Disney so that is good. It means my marathon at the end of the month to try and BQ with won't happen. Could be a tough year to BQ. Bert was just happy that I was traveling while my sickest so he should be spared but I will have it a longer because of that.

Glad to hear about Bert's progress ....

.... but girl, you push yourself too hard. Take the full 3 weeks and no cheating. Let it heal.

Personally I can't relate to what overuse/overtraining would be like. But I know what doctor's orders mean.

Bama Ed

Hi ALL!!!! Been MIA here since I have no interest in training due to lousy knees. To quote----
........Personally I can't relate to what overuse/overtraining would be like. But I know what doctor's orders mean.

Bama Ed
--- I have done absolutely ZERO marathon/half marathon training. Was just talking to Kathy this past weekend about NOT EVEN SHOWING UP for the marathon.

I am 100% dedicated to my bicycling mileage prep for February's 24 hour/400 mile Bike Sebring and can't risk messing up my knees walking/training. Knees are giving me fits just walking around ALTHOUGH not a issue with this morning's 101 mile bicycle ride or yesterday's 50 mile ride or Tuesday's 103 mile ride or Monday's 50 mile ride or.....bicycling good but walking lousy.

We have the Space Coast Half Marathon on Sunday Nov. 26th with a 7 hour time limit and I might need every minute. We hang around until Monday and then the Dream concierge cruise to relax and recuperate. Will have to revisit Marathon Weekend events following RECUPERATION.

Be safe and may y'all have happier feet and knees than me.:crutches:

We have the Space Coast Half Marathon on Sunday Nov. 26th with a 7 hour time limit and I might need every minute. We hang around until Monday and then the Dream concierge cruise to relax and recuperate.

John, you are very clearly a man that knows how to plan. A cruise after a marathon? Why didn't I think of that? :confused3

Will have to revisit Marathon Weekend events following RECUPERATION.

Okay. Keep us updated.

Bama Ed

Don't know where to post this.

Did the Early Check-in tonight for our visit in the first week of January. It's only a 3-night stay coming up from the Keys on the way home to Alabama. In on Wednesday Jan 3 and out on Jan 6 Saturday. Thursday is our day in the MK (lunch ADR at LTT and dinner ADR at JSC). MK is open 8a-midnight.

Nice to be coming back so soon since the Halloween stay.

Bama Ed

PS - DD and DW on this trip - I'm sure I'll be in the minority in democratic situations that might come up... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Did our last long run today, 16 miles. It was cold in Atlanta. I am proud of bert, he struggled but got it done. Now the real fun begins, packing up today. Heading out tomorrow for a 12 hour drive with two dogs after 16 miles. It's going to be fun.

Did our last long run today, 16 miles. It was cold in Atlanta. I am proud of bert, he struggled but got it done. Now the real fun begins, packing up today. Heading out tomorrow for a 12 hour drive with two dogs after 16 miles. It's going to be fun.
Congrats to Bert! Perhaps Sitting for 12 hours won't be so bad after that run today. Eager to see all 4 of you! Safe travels.

GREAT JOB!!!!! Hope drive went well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter