2018 GSP Non-DIS Meet September TR

Teamubr

From somewhere outside StL
Wow!

I can't believe how empty GSP is. It was only half full when we pulled in yesterday. This morning, many of those folks left. But a few pics of why we came.

Beach right.

20180909_121810-1030x773.jpg

Beach left.

20180909_121819-1030x773.jpg

We had breakfast at Another Cracked Egg on Canal in Orange Beach. It has a well deserved 4.6/5 on Google. After breakfast, we drove down Canal St to the East to check out a few new homes I have been watching on Zillow. They were just what I expected. Cute and priced right. We saw a few others as we drove back. I'll be contacting the listing agents to ask a bunch of Al vs Fl type questions and start to put a plan together.

Now back to the waves sun and sand.

j

Jim while you basically have the place to yourselves perhaps we could impose on you and Ian to spend a little time, no more than an hour two I think, to survey the locals. I believe we need to see see how many are willing to participate in our Alligator Rasslin show at the next Dismeet. Last year many got a feared off with Tiggerdad's crowing about his prowess in that arena so we might have to import some outside talent.

Yep Gulf is pretty nice if you avoid the holiday weekends and summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day).

My absolute favorite time is the last two weeks of October and its corresponding time in late April. And the state park gets crowded with snow birds December into March. So now is a great time to be there, Jim.

AL vs. FL is more than just income tax or no but all types of taxes (gas, sales, property, etc.). If looking at new houses, see if they are bullt to any type of hurricane standards. After all the storms there was talk of establishing standards for new construction.

Finally, homes along the coast have flooding concerns due to storm surge (and those pesky hurricanes) and high winds. If not up on stilts, make sure you understand the insurance/property scenarios. It's the water/flooding that gets many properties.

Bama Ed

EDIT - this new home in Gulf Shores in the writeup says it is built to the new "Gold Fortified Standards" so there are different hurricane-rated standards in place.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...87.716438,30.268854,-87.677814,15#M8514351590

I think there are also standards to improve existing house (to retro them) to some sort of standard as well. It's something to consider, anyway.

Last edited:
Mike,

Apparently the FloraBama Lounge was having some kind of rodeo in their parking lot. Metal grandstands and the big heavy metal fence to make a ring. I've already talked to them about getting the grandstands for next year. That should be enough to bring out the locals.

Ed,

Thanks for the heads up on the change in build standards. I wasn't aware. The tax thing between the the 2 states is what I've been looking at. Overall, Al seems to have better housing prices and real estate taxes, but the retirement income tax is what I need to look into more. If the market and the math continues to work out in the next 8-10 years, between my SS, pension (my company still has a very nice one) and the mandatory 401k distribution, I'll be at about 120% of my projected income. Need to find ways to not get screwed on that. Florida's no income tax may end up being the better place.

Also, someone we were talking with at MK mentioned Alabama doesn't collect real estate tax if you are over 65. Didn't know if that is correct. I did notice real estate taxes overall are really low. My house is worth about $250k. With a homestead exemption ( because it is 116 years old), I still pay over $4500 in tax. Without the exemption, it would be over $8,000. Taxes on the places in Orange Beach that are worth the same $250k are under $1,000.

And now, back to the GSP report.

We made the 1st of several trips to the outlet mall. Took this pick just for Michael. I was looking for the benches he frequents on his visits there. Didn't see any initials or "help me" carved into any seats.

20180909_172139-1008x567.jpg

We tried Tacky Jacks for dinner. The one in Gulf Shoes at the 90 degree turn on Canal. (There are 3). I had the Tacky Shrimp pasta. It was very good. Seasoned much like I try to do at home. We will definitely be back.

We went to the beach for about 3 hours today. Not very crowded. Water was calm and still very warm. We are deciding what to do tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be good. We may just hang at the beach and make a WalMart run for a few things. We want to see the Blue Angels practice (have passports this time) and go out sailing. There is actually a Blue Angels sail from a place we went out on 2 years ago. Other than that, no real plans.

j

Last edited:

Finally, homes along the coast have flooding concerns due to storm surge (and those pesky hurricanes) and high winds. If not up on stilts, make sure you understand the insurance/property scenarios. It's the water/flooding that gets many properties.
Ed,

Curious question about the tidal surge. The places I was looking at today are on the East end of Canal (180). Around Barefoot Bar and Grill, if you Google that. None of the homes there, newly built or older, are on stilts. Coming just south of there and going out Marine Rd towards the Tacky Jacks in Orange Beach, all the new construction and many of the older places are on stilts. Seems the tidal surge would effect both areas the same.

j

Last edited:
Jim, the locals I was referring to are the reptilian ones. Having to entice them from out of state could be a major time consuming project.

Well not necessarily (that it would affect both areas the same).

First let me say I have not been east of Hwy 161 in Orange Beach (that connects the beach highway to Canal Road - it's the ONLY BLESSED #$%^&#! North-South connector between the two) in over a decade. Honestly, OB is not my favorite place as a visitor. I've stayed many times over a career ago at the Perdido Beach Resort there at Perdido Pass (work related :rolleyes: ) and have taken the beach highway into Florida but I try to steer clear of OB, The Wharf, etc. That's just me - all that to say I am not familiar with the area around Barefoot B&G.

Generally the closer to the ocean you are, the more the surge is an issue. Being close to any water is NOT the same problem. If I can relate it to Gulf Shores (which I am more familiar with and favor more than OB), the area south of the Wal-Mart / Fort Morgan highway has the worry about storm surge. The "downtown" area of GS (such as it is) south of the Intercoastal but north of the lagoon area and Fort Morgan highway stay dry on land. That's why the fire station, city hall, and other emergency services are located there. Looking at OB, Marina Road probably get surge up over the Beach Highway and into the secondary waterway behind the beach (Cotton Bayou). But Barefoot B&G are appear far enough north to be similar to downtown Gulf Shores that it probably remains dry. I can't believe that OB would allow new construction after all they've been through in an area subject to a 100 year flood. There are flood plain maps used by the insurance companies to determine coverage. So new construction is likely fine. A 20-yo home on a slab closer to the ocean would be suspect. It's all about the ability to get insurance for all types of coverage (flood/wind/fire etc.).

There are restaurants and stores in Gulf Shores that have marks on the wall inside the front doors (4-5 ft high) where the surge water rose (Mikee's restaurant and Souvenir City [the Shark Mouth store]) come to mind but they are closer to the ocean. Back where you are looking is probably fine for ground level construction now. Marina Road and further south I wouldn't recommend it (if there are any properties left at ground level there other than businesses).

You sound like you are in safe territory.

ED

I looked up the build standard for the place on Canal Rd. It says Gold fortified. Here is a link to the listing. https://b1iw.app.link/s6QjaNhq5P
The sign out front said "sold", but it is still showing on MLS.

Thanks for in info on the surge. It makes sense the farther you are from the beach, the less it would be. The only thing I have to compare to is river flooding. The river comes up 10 ft over flood stage and everything around the river to that elevation is getting wet.

j

Only seven states lack an income tax altogether: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.

Tennessee Will Become the 8th Tax-Free State
Tennessee is gradually reducing its "Hall tax" on interest and dividend income. The state's 6 percent Hall tax rate is being reduced in 1 percent increments each year until the tax is completely eliminated after the 2020 tax year. It's at 3 percent as of 2018.

Denise,

Oddly, as broke as Illinois is, we don't tax retirement income either. There are discussions to change that. 10 years from now, who knows. I'm still moving South anyway. I don't like the winters here.

If the overall cost of living is better in Al, it may be the better financial deal, even paying a state tax. And then there are the Florida anaual pass rates to Disney to consider. :-)

j

Only seven states lack an income tax altogether: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming.

Tennessee Will Become the 8th Tax-Free State
Tennessee is gradually reducing its "Hall tax" on interest and dividend income. The state's 6 percent Hall tax rate is being reduced in 1 percent increments each year until the tax is completely eliminated after the 2020 tax year. It's at 3 percent as of 2018.

Yep, sounds like moving back to east Tennessee and the mountains sounding better

Here's a little more update.

Yesterday was a WalMart, beach and BBQ day. Nothing special except taking in the beach. I did try out some cell phone camera lenses we picked up. They clip on and cover the phone lens. Like these.

61akhxgsfAL._SX679_.jpg

Here are a couple I took.

Fish eye.

20180910_141651-1008x567.jpg

Telephoto

20180910_141447-1008x567.jpg

Wide angle

20180909_134157-1008x567.jpg

j

And I almost forgot. After dinner (bbq burgers) we went to Scoops for some ice cream. Even in September, their parking lot is packed.

j

Love me some Scoops!

Across the street from Papa Racco's ("home of warm beer and cold pizza" is their tongue-in-cheek slogan). Thirty years ago when I was going to GS as an adult, Papa Racco's was almost the only restaurant open in the off-season (November-February) for dinner (talking non-chain restaurants here). Bahama Bob's was the other (terrible food then and now but hey it's on the beach side of the Beach Highway) but they closed like at 9pm in the off-season. My how times have changed....

Scoops has been our family favorite for ice cream for almost 25 years. Yeh, parking is tight but we enjoy sitting out on the porch and trying to lick our cones down before they melt and drip.

An ice cream shop in a little beach town sounds like a good retirement investment to me.

Jim, I hope your GS vacation is relaxing..... :cool2: :beach:

Bama Ed

PS - I have been going to Gulf Shores for nearly 40 years since I was a teenager so these kinds of comments make me nostalgic....

Last edited:
We've never been to Papa Rocco's. May have to try that out.

We had some fun today and yesterday. Yesterday was sightseeing and house/condo shopping. Stopped in a real estate company to get the basics down. Then drove over towards Pensacola. There was a sign down in Perdido Key advertising new "homes" on a golf course resort. We took the tour and talked Florida vs Alabama. The townhomes were nice, but I don't need to pay extra for a golf course I'll never use. Overall, I think we are going to look in Florida between Pensacola Beach and Ft Walton. A lot depends on when we decide to buy. If I get something in the next few years, I'll buy closer to the beach areas for the rental potential. If I wait until I'm actually ready to move down, I'll probably look a little farther back, although DW said she would really like a water view. Intercoastal is water, right?

Today was a fun day. We went out sailing on a catamaran we went on 2 years ago. Today's trip went over to Pensacola though, where they anchored right off the runways and we watched Blue Angels practice.

20180912_120419-1612x907.jpg

20180912_121845-1612x907.jpg

20180912_115937-1612x907.jpg

20180912_120807-1612x907.jpg

After the air show we cruised over to the intercoastal and did some paddle boards and kayaking. Here's Ian' s first time on a paddle board. As with most things physical, he did pretty good. I got up and fell off once (trying to steer with my feet instead of the paddle) and even Donna tried. She kneeled, but she still gave it a shot.

20180912_124533-1612x907.jpg

We got back to the dock about 3:30. Hit up Lulu's for dinner and then to the pier for sunset.

Not sure what we are doing tomorrow. Definitely the beach for awhile. I may drive over to Gulf Breeze and Pensacola Beach. I saw some places on MLS that looked interesting. I've never been to that part of the panhandle and want to check out the feel to see if it's an area to consider.

Here's one of the sunset from the pier.

20180912_184509-1008x567.jpg

j

Attachments

• 20180912_121845-1612x907.jpg
    20180912_121845-1612x907.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
If you go to Scoops after about 5pm the business office right next door is a good place to park. Sometimes we'll eat at Original Oyster House and then after dinner walk one block down to Scoops for dessert.

Personally, when we're done at scoops if we have an outside seat (only like 6 of them) we like to wait and give up our seats to people who have cool or funny shirts. Just a game we play. For the record Auburn, Mississippi State shirts guarantee no seat available.

Jim,

In reading back over your recent posts, I saw that I missed one point from the top portion of post #4.

Alabama DOES waive property taxes (primary residence/homestead etc.) over 65yo but it is only the STATE portion of those taxes. Local portions such as those to provide additional school funding over and above the minimum amount collected and allocated by the state are NOT waived. This can cause property tax levels to vary somewhat but still be considered generally low. Also they make you apply annually for the waiver as it is only good for one year.

For 20 years up until last year my home in the southern suburbs of Birmingham created a property tax obligation of about $1,600 on a home valued at $225k. Last year I moved back to Tuscaloosa, bought a home worth twice the value but got a property tax bill HALF ($800) of what I paid before. My old house had local education taxes added on (the maximum amount possible they could add) to fund the school system which is pretty good for Alabama. My new house has very few add-ons for education.

IMO my poor little state needs all the tax money it can get so I probably won't file a waiver.

Also, a little local flavor there in LA (Lower Alabama), Gulf Shores broke away from the Baldwin County School System and is establishing their own Gulf Shores School System because they felt like the area up on the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay around Daphne and Fairhope got more love/money/funding than the poor tourist towns. So they've hired a Director and are in the process of breaking away (a slight tax increase locally to cover it). Orange Beach, on the other hand, elected to stay in the County School System and not form their own system nor join in with Gulf Shores.

Florida panhandle territory might be in your future. At least you still have "seasons" in the panhandle.

Bama Ed

PS - my co-workers in Illinois (up around Chicagoland not down where you are) and New Jersey cry when we talk property taxes . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter