2018 Free Dining

I do. We stay for two weeks at a time and don't pay a dime for extra food or drinks. There are tons of counter service locations that offer great variety and good quality.

We also stay two weeks at a time and can't live off quick service for 2 weeks.

Mod resort with real Free Dining is the promo that works for us. This QS promo is a joke to me.

We also stay two weeks at a time and can't live off quick service for 2 weeks.

Mod resort with real Free Dining is the promo that works for us. This QS promo is a joke to me.

I think everyone misses the free dining good old days.

Have you tried only doing quick service? Maybe you're just dining at the wrong spots. FD is still a good deal for families of four who don't mind a value resort or who can get a standard room at a deluxe.

I think everyone misses the free dining good old days.

Have you tried only doing quick service? Maybe you're just dining at the wrong spots. FD is still a good deal for families of four who don't mind a value resort or who can get a standard room at a deluxe.

For the families that always stay at a value I guess it's business as usual.

I'm not willing to modify how we enjoy our Disney vacations because Disney is trying to push the envelope with their pricing. We enjoy our daily sit down meals at the reserved time. When I think QS, I think chicken fingers and fries. Sure there are a few places that are much more than that, but I'm not willing to put in the effort for Disney's sake. We'll just vacation somewhere else if the value isn't there for us.

We have always gone for 2 weeks in December. 14 nights at a Deluxe for our dates is typically at least $3000 more. We really enjoy CSR and don't see $3000-$4000 more enjoyment at a Deluxe. The Mod resort with full FD was the sweet spot for us.

It doesn't really matter right now anyway because we will not be going be to WDW again unless they get rid of this ridiculous daily "security" check crap.

I'm fine with it! I'm staying at a Value this time around and if this is all we get for "free Dining" I will pay to upgrade to Regular dining. Is that still an option?
Depending on your family's make up, it might be worth it to not pay the upgrade and instead pay out of pocket for your TS meals. We are a family of four Disney adults. It would cost us $92 per day to upgrade. If we want to grab a pizza at Via Napoli or some appetizers at another restaurant, it's cheaper to stick with quick service. Plus then you're still getting 2 quick service meals per person per day. You'll have a ton of food.

I don't consider free dining "free dining" for a long time now. Rack rates are already stupid high with less and less perks. EMH used to be a major draw for us as 1 park had 2 or 3 extra hours. Now it's often less than 3 most often, and park hours in general are shorter. Free parking was also big, now that maybe a thing of the past. Finally rack rate used to be at least in the general ballpark of area hotels. Now rack rate is obscene.

The dining plan is a ripoff now anyways. Unless you really were going to eat enough to "spend" the alotted value per credit, you are tossing away money. Usually the hotel discounts beat FD vs paying OOP.

Don't forget to remember you are responsible for the tip even with the DP too.

I don't consider free dining "free dining" for a long time now. Rack rates are already stupid high with less and less perks. EMH used to be a major draw for us as 1 park had 2 or 3 extra hours. Now it's often less than 3 most often, and park hours in general are shorter. Free parking was also big, now that maybe a thing of the past. Finally rack rate used to be at least in the general ballpark of area hotels. Now rack rate is obscene.

The dining plan is a ripoff now anyways. Unless you really were going to eat enough to "spend" the alotted value per credit, you are tossing away money. Usually the hotel discounts beat FD vs paying OOP.

Don't forget to remember you are responsible for the tip even with the DP too.
I was wondering about this, because yeah, checking the park hours I noticed EMH was only 2 hours now and MK is definitely not open as late as it has been with our previous trips. Free Dining is also really not nearly as good as it was and room rates are so much higher than even just a few years ago. I'm really not liking this trend and although we're still going to keep going to WDW, I'm seriously considering off-site a lot more lately.

I was wondering about this, because yeah, checking the park hours I noticed EMH was only 2 hours now and MK is definitely not open as late as it has been with our previous trips. Free Dining is also really not nearly as good as it was and room rates are so much higher than even just a few years ago. I'm really not liking this trend and although we're still going to keep going to WDW, I'm seriously considering off-site a lot more lately.

"Free dining" doesn't need to be good, they know people will use that as a reasoning to book those remaining specialty view rooms that are difficult to move. I'd be willing to wager people end up spending far more on "free dining" than they would if they booked a room only deal, purchased tickets from a reseller, and paid as they go for food. But mentally it feels so much nicer to think you got this crazy amazing deal vs look at it in total dollars spent.

"Free dining" doesn't need to be good, they know people will use that as a reasoning to book those remaining specialty view rooms that are difficult to move. I'd be willing to wager people end up spending far more on "free dining" than they would if they booked a room only deal, purchased tickets from a reseller, and paid as they go for food. But mentally it feels so much nicer to think you got this crazy amazing deal vs look at it in total dollars spent.

Yup yup yup! This is the first year that I am not going to try to for FD, and that is because it would be cheaper for DD and I to pay out of pocket for meals, get discount tickets from a reseller, and rent DVC points.

Yup yup yup! This is the first year that I am not going to try to for FD, and that is because it would be cheaper for DD and I to pay out of pocket for meals, get discount tickets from a reseller, and rent DVC points.

Yup with two people it almost be better to do it that way. I'm a DVC member now but last June I had a fantastic deal on WL had APs from our fall trip, and we just paid for food as we went. I know with my son, he's got a really small appetite so we mainly do snacks and he eats a lot of kids meals even though he's almost 12. Between the heat and the excitement sometimes kids just don't want to eat a bunch at once. So for me hitting a large buffet at lunch time is a no-go. But we do end up going to the cheaper table service places or breakfast buffets and those are "bad values" on the DP. Not to mention the whole "premium" beverage thing for a kid is also a bad value.

To each their own. For the three of us it’s works; if it is free. I would not pay for since my dd is now a Disney adult. If the room costs $200 for value resort? I break it down to $100 for the room and the rest is for food. And you can’t eat at Disney for $33.34 a day per person and get 2 quick service meals plus snacks. I chose easy math numbers here. I take cost of tickets out since we need those anyway.

Come on free dining Monday!!!

Next years promotion free parking.

:rotfl:

To each their own. For the three of us it’s works; if it is free. I would not pay for since my dd is now a Disney adult. If the room costs $200 for value resort? I break it down to $100 for the room and the rest is for food. And you can’t eat at Disney for $33.34 a day per person and get 2 quick service meals plus snacks. I chose easy math numbers here. I take cost of tickets out since we need those anyway.

We have 3 as well and I LOVE free dining. We always manage to use all of our credits and not spend any money oop on food. When I don't have free dining, I pack snacks and sandwich stuff and breakfast stuff. I don't do any of that when we have free dining. Plus, it's the only time I can justify eating at Be Our Guest.

When staying at a value I would always choose free dining over a room discount, however once I hit moderate the room discount becomes more economic. We were hoping to get free dining for our upcoming trip but sounds like October has been excluded so now we wait for a room discount.

If someone sticks with the cheapest view available and doesn't upgrade to higher level dining then I can see it not being that much more. What typically happens however is people end up with preferred pool view (which yes is a far higher rate at a value than it should be). Then they want the table service too which is an upgrade cost. Of course no matter what you're paying tips (I consider that kind of a wash) but if you're fulfilling the credit then you're getting one dessert and special drink for each person and that certainly adds up as well.

People really do need to try to be realistic about the all in price, and of course it's a risk since it's a use it or lose it scenario. It's disappointing when you can't make every reservation or you're not in the mood to eat but your ADR is in 30 minutes. But it's less of a sting when someone doesn't pay for the plan out of their own pocket.

For the families that always stay at a value I guess it's business as usual.

I'm not willing to modify how we enjoy our Disney vacations because Disney is trying to push the envelope with their pricing. We enjoy our daily sit down meals at the reserved time. When I think QS, I think chicken fingers and fries. Sure there are a few places that are much more than that, but I'm not willing to put in the effort for Disney's sake. We'll just vacation somewhere else if the value isn't there for us.

We have always gone for 2 weeks in December. 14 nights at a Deluxe for our dates is typically at least $3000 more. We really enjoy CSR and don't see $3000-$4000 more enjoyment at a Deluxe. The Mod resort with full FD was the sweet spot for us.

It doesn't really matter right now anyway because we will not be going be to WDW again unless they get rid of this ridiculous daily "security" check crap.

Then if you're not willing to adjust how you vacation for the sake of a promotion intended to fill spare rooms, then save the aggravation and book exactly what you want using a room discount. They don't have to offer free dining at all, let alone to your exact specifications.

When I think QS, I think chicken fingers and fries. Sure there are a few places that are much more than that, but I'm not willing to put in the effort for Disney's sake.

Well it's not a heck of a lot of effort.

I've been going to QS locations for years on end and I don't think I've even eaten chicken fingers and fries. :rotfl:

And there are not a few places that go beyond that, there are many places.

Salads, salmon, pasta, roast beef, rice bowls, stir fry.... and on and on.

If you hate quick service dining, fine. But this ongoing association with crappy food drives me crazy because it is not based in reality.

No disrespect to the poor chicken fingers :rotfl2:;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!