2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

I should mention, I also used a private window in chrome and started by just looking for our dates (no offer), then picked the hotel, and then clicked on the free dining offer. (Originally I was clicking on the "free dining" banner on disney's website and then looking for our dates)...not sure if the sequencing of my search gave me a different result??? The website has been really finicky the last few months.

From what ive heard, Disney's whole IT is run on an old system that simply cannot handle all of what it needs to handle. However, to upgrade the system would require a complete system-wide shut down for a day. Apparently, THAT is what is what is holding them back. Can you imagine the impact of no IT for an entire day anywhere? Then again, maybe the recent IT outage they had for a little while a couple of weeks ago might prep them for how to logistically prepare for a day-long shut down.
I agree. It might require a day of downtime but to move the system to a new platform would require a TON of preparation and testing behind the scenes. Probably a year long project if not a lot longer before it would ever go live. For all we know Disney is already working on it and just not advising us. I'm working on a project to move something small to a new platform and our project is 18 months long and out team has over 30 staff dedicated to this project. I cannot fathom what it would take to completely revamp the Disney website!!!

I wanted to write a quick update about my experience.
Right when the FD offer dropped, I had booked Pop for me and DH for our Sept trip. I upgraded to 10 day park hoppers and upgraded to the regular DDP.
I was poking around the site on Tuesday, and there was far more availability than there has been for the same dates in September. I did find that if I clicked "Check Availability" it would show me all available rooms, some of which were cheaper than the price displayed on the initial page.
Ultimately, for not much more money, I was able to switch my Preferred Pop FD offer for a standard view at AKL. I was looking forward to staying in a refurbed room are Pop, but staying at AKL has always been a bucket list item for my DH. :)

Right when the FD offer dropped, I had booked Pop for me and DH for our Sept trip. I upgraded to 10 day park hoppers and upgraded to the regular DDP.
I was poking around the site on Tuesday, and there was far more availability than there has been for the same dates in September. I did find that if I clicked "Check Availability" it would show me all available rooms, some of which were cheaper than the price displayed on the initial page.
Ultimately, for not much more money, I was able to switch my Preferred Pop FD offer for a standard view at AKL. I was looking forward to staying in a refurbed room are Pop, but staying at AKL has always been a bucket list item for my DH. :)
Awesome. I'll be there in May in a Savanah view.

I booked the same! Preferred Pop w/ upgraded dining and ticket to 10 day. I did check AKL as well but that would have been quite a bit more for my time frame for some reason (12/9-12/23, 3 adults, 10 PH tickets w/upgraded dining at Pop preferred $5516.67 vs. AKL standard $8767.74). Both were the FD promo, so I decided to check out the refurb. rooms at Pop this time. Congrats on going to AKL! I might try renting points one trip to stay there, I did some checking already and it looks like it would be cheaper (w/ DP) even if I had FD for the time frame. I need to stay there one of these days!

HI! I just wanted to pop in and say that thanks to this thread (v1...and v2 haha) and a very awesome wonderful amazing group of Disney enthusiasts who had a party with me to stay up all night waiting for the release, that I did get Free Dining for our dates! It was a tense couple of months waiting and hoping, but it was all worth it! I do generally think it's a fantastic deal even paying "rack rate" and I'm glad it worked out for us as it will definitely save us money. Hope to be back on next year's thread officially instead of just lurking LOL

HI! I just wanted to pop in and say that thanks to this thread (v1...and v2 haha) and a very awesome wonderful amazing group of Disney enthusiasts who had a party with me to stay up all night waiting for the release, that I did get Free Dining for our dates! It was a tense couple of months waiting and hoping, but it was all worth it! I do generally think it's a fantastic deal even paying "rack rate" and I'm glad it worked out for us as it will definitely save us money. Hope to be back on next year's thread officially instead of just lurking LOL
Depending on what dates you booked you trip for, you can book a FD bounceback during this year's stay for next year and avoid the April rush.

When are you booked to go to Disney this year?

Depending on what dates you booked you trip for, you can book a FD bounceback during this year's stay for next year and avoid the April rush.

When are you booked to go to Disney this year?

We almost always go during the Christmas season! Not because we particularly like the massive crowds but because it's my niece's birthday and my sister wants to make it really special since it's so close to Christmas hahaha

We're booked December 19th - 29th so I'm not sure they'll still have the FD BB then. We thought about making a quick weekend trip to secure it so I don't have to stress next year but it's not worth the hassle of booking flights and all that jazz for what amounts to ONE day in Orlando

We almost always go during the Christmas season! Not because we particularly like the massive crowds but because it's my niece's birthday and my sister wants to make it really special since it's so close to Christmas hahaha

We're booked December 19th - 29th so I'm not sure they'll still have the FD BB then. We thought about making a quick weekend trip to secure it so I don't have to stress next year but it's not worth the hassle of booking flights and all that jazz for what amounts to ONE day in Orlando
You're right, the FD BB ends Oct 31st.

It's funny that you mention a 1 day trip. I started out thinking the same thing and ended up taking my DD last week on a surprise 4 night trip to Pop! We did the Water Parks and MNSSHP. LOL - not sure booking that to ensure FD for 2019 (which we booked while there) will balance out financially but we sure did have fun!! It was extra exciting as my DD didn't know about the trip until I woke her up and told her the morning we were leaving! :D

You're right, the FD BB ends Oct 31st.

It's funny that you mention a 1 day trip. I started out thinking the same thing and ended up taking my DD last week on a surprise 4 night trip to Pop! We did the Water Parks and MNSSHP. LOL - not sure booking that to ensure FD for 2019 (which we booked while there) will balance out financially but we sure did have fun!! It was extra exciting as my DD didn't know about the trip until I woke her up and told her the morning we were leaving! :D
Same on the one day trip! DH and I are headed out Tuesday night, arriving at 11:30 PM, staying at POP Tuesday and Wednesday night. Originally it was just me going (exclusively to book the BB) but the flight came in at $40.40 RT from Portland, Maine so he decided to come along! Now we’ve gone and added two one day tickets to the MK on the 12th! Flying home at 4:30 PM on the 13th. Thinking I can squeeze in a character dining experience outside a park on Thursday before we leave! Weeeeeee! :rolleyes1

Same on the one day trip! DH and I are headed out Tuesday night, arriving at 11:30 PM, staying at POP Tuesday and Wednesday night. Originally it was just me going (exclusively to book the BB) but the flight came in at $40.40 RT from Portland, Maine so he decided to come along! Now we’ve gone and added two one day tickets to the MK on the 12th! Flying home at 4:30 PM on the 13th. Thinking I can squeeze in a character dining experience outside a park on Thursday before we leave! Weeeeeee! :rolleyes1
LOL! Have fun!! Wow! Those are amazing flight prices! Enjoy your time at WDW!!

Amazing flight prices! Enjoy that trip!!

Thanks!! Got lucky on a “save90” code on Frontier. Now I’m hoping Florence (or tropical depression #8...) doesn’t interfere!
I was planning on doing a 2 night trip too... found 2 tickets roundtrip, direct flight for $82.80 and had until Sep. 3 to book it with Frontier Ariline. Now that I'm done with paying all things related to back-to-school, I hope this sale comes back. I just don't want to go to the stress of waiting for Free Dining next year :)

I was planning on doing a 2 night trip too... found 2 tickets roundtrip, direct flight for $82.80 and had until Sep. 3 to book it with Frontier Ariline. Now that I'm done with paying all things related to back-to-school, I hope this sale comes back. I just don't want to go to the stress of waiting for Free Dining next year :)
Fingers crossed for you! I do think they have really amazing promotion codes pretty regularly!

They are often similar but not identical. Dates normally differ and sometimes resorts that are available to be booked.
Ok, thanks. Wasn’t sure if they offered better deals or if it was more the peace of mind knowing you’re able to get a promo rate without having to wait for the general public promos to start.

Ok, thanks. Wasn’t sure if they offered better deals or if it was more the peace of mind knowing you’re able to get a promo rate without having to wait for the general public promos to start.

It's the same deal in that you get free dining with the same parameters, but it's a better deal in that you can get it for dates that will NOT be included if it comes out again next year. It's offered during summer months that haven't seen general public free dining in years. There's also the ever present possibility that there will be no GP free dining offer, so there is peace of mind in knowing you have a great discount. And as scrapping said, there are some resorts included that are no longer included with GP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter