2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

Well, the thing specifically about Sci Fi is that each "table" is an old classic car that seats 4, 2 in front and 2 in the back. But they are bench seats with a flat, non-divided "dashboard" that serves as your table. None are bigger or smaller than any other. That's what gets me. They won't separate a family of 5 with small children into 2 tables. They didn't with us in 2015, though our youngest was 2 (almost 3) at the time. He will be a very small 6 (12-14% height/weight) and can easily fit, sit, and eat in a row with one parent and the 9 year old.
Thanks! That's helpful.

I'm guessing you have but, have you tried increasing your parent's reservation to a group of 3 or 4?

Has anyone been able to delete a day from their reservation? My MIL is under going chemo and my SIL will not be able to come and care for her the first day we are suppose to start are vacation.

Has anyone been able to delete a day from their reservation? My MIL is under going chemo and my SIL will not be able to come and care for her the first day we are suppose to start are vacation.

Call and explain the situation; I'm fairly certain they will work with you. BUT DON'T CALL TODAY! Candlelight Processional dining packages opened today and the phone lines are crazy busy. Wait til tomorrow.

Call and explain the situation; I'm fairly certain they will work with you. BUT DON'T CALL TODAY! Candlelight Processional dining packages opened today and the phone lines are crazy busy. Wait til tomorrow.
Thank You for such a quick response! She will not book her flight until Friday. So, depending what time she gets here will determine my vacation will start.

If it were me, I wouldn't think twice. I make the call and skip the online process. Wouldn't want to accidentally deleted or over-alter the whole thing in a flustered state.

True, phone lines are busy, but still, it is a phone call that needs to happen.

Actually I happened to be on last night and was pleasantly surprised to find that Candlelight Processional links opened and booking was available last night between 10:30-11pm or so.

Last edited:
LOL - oops! That makes more sense!

@Ahuck06 you should be able to make online reservations here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/dining/epcot/candlelight-dinner-packages/

I just tried to book a Coral Reef during our dates and availability was there. Hopefully you can find what you're looking for. Is there also a possibility that what you want is already full?

Thanks everyone. For some reason it wouldnt show up on my phone or desktop. Tried the laptop & BAM, there it was. I swear this Disney site gives me an ulcer LOL. I was able to the reservation I was looking for tho. Thanks again!! :)

Calling all DDP mathematicians! This is complicated and I'm going to be doing some complex work to try to figure this out, and I am asking for your help! Getting to the bottom line, I need to do a cost analysis for both my parents as well as my family of 5 (3 Disney adults and 2 Disney children) - all on multiple-part split stays. As of now, we have regular DDP for all parts of the stay: Nov 22-24 for all 7; Nov 24-29 (FD for 5) and Nov 24-30 (FD for 2); then Nov 29-Dec 2 (for 5) and Nov 30-Dec 2 (for 2). My parents have several components that are OOP during the FD segment simply because they are using multiple signature events. The first segment has Mickey's Backyard BBQ and CRT. Initially, we were going to try for Category 1 seating, pay out of pocket for that, and use the credits for CRT. Cat. 1 has not been available, and we just discovered, with the help of 3 CM's plus Guest services all working together to verify on one phone call, that Cat. 1 is simply not going to be offered for that Thanksgiving Day because of running 3 shows that day - there's no time to fit in the time benefits of category 1 seating and meet/greet. So, that means automatically using 2 credits there and paying CRT oop (although CRT costs more than MBYBBQ - so my preference would have been the other way around.)

Currently, the plan has us using up our Segment 1 credits by the end of Nov. 23, and starting off Nov. 24 with segment 2 credits, potentially running into the issue of waiting to do segment 2 resort check-in prior to tapping into those credits for our Tusker House lunch on Nov. 24.

So, we have NEVER, EVER considered the Deluxe Dining Plan. My thought is that for that first stay segment, if we upgrade from the standard DDP to the DxDDP, then that gives us a blanket amount of credits to use - we don't need to monitor the cost of menu items at CRT (other than ordering menu items not covered by the plan, of course, plus tip), and still have enough credits to include all of the Nov. 24 bridge day.

I can provide specific day-by-day TS and QS meal itinerary IF it is deemed helpful for someone to be able to help me with this. But, what I think would be most helpful would be the cost difference per day per adult/child between the two plans for segment 1 as well as the standard DDP cost segment 3. Also, confirmation of number of credits per night of stay that the DxDP would provide for segment 1 versus the DDP. I know that DDP is 1 QS and 1TS (plus 2 snacks) each night, and that DxDP combines the credits for use how one would like - but is it 2 or 3 each night? Any other information that I am failing to think of right now would also be helpful.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Calling all DDP mathematicians! This is complicated and I'm going to be doing some complex work to try to figure this out, and I am asking for your help! Getting to the bottom line, I need to do a cost analysis for both my parents as well as my family of 5 (3 Disney adults and 2 Disney children) - all on multiple-part split stays. As of now, we have regular DDP for all parts of the stay: Nov 22-24 for all 7; Nov 24-29 (FD for 5) and Nov 24-30 (FD for 2); then Nov 29-Dec 2 (for 5) and Nov 30-Dec 2 (for 2). My parents have several components that are OOP during the FD segment simply because they are using multiple signature events. The first segment has Mickey's Backyard BBQ and CRT. Initially, we were going to try for Category 1 seating, pay out of pocket for that, and use the credits for CRT. Cat. 1 has not been available, and we just discovered, with the help of 3 CM's plus Guest services all working together to verify on one phone call, that Cat. 1 is simply not going to be offered for that Thanksgiving Day because of running 3 shows that day - there's no time to fit in the time benefits of category 1 seating and meet/greet. So, that means automatically using 2 credits there and paying CRT oop (although CRT costs more than MBYBBQ - so my preference would have been the other way around.)

Currently, the plan has us using up our Segment 1 credits by the end of Nov. 23, and starting off Nov. 24 with segment 2 credits, potentially running into the issue of waiting to do segment 2 resort check-in prior to tapping into those credits for our Tusker House lunch on Nov. 24.

So, we have NEVER, EVER considered the Deluxe Dining Plan. My thought is that for that first stay segment, if we upgrade from the standard DDP to the DxDDP, then that gives us a blanket amount of credits to use - we don't need to monitor the cost of menu items at CRT (other than ordering menu items not covered by the plan, of course, plus tip), and still have enough credits to include all of the Nov. 24 bridge day.

I can provide specific day-by-day TS and QS meal itinerary IF it is deemed helpful for someone to be able to help me with this. But, what I think would be most helpful would be the cost difference per day per adult/child between the two plans for segment 1 as well as the standard DDP cost segment 3. Also, confirmation of number of credits per night of stay that the DxDP would provide for segment 1 versus the DDP. I know that DDP is 1 QS and 1TS (plus 2 snacks) each night, and that DxDP combines the credits for use how one would like - but is it 2 or 3 each night? Any other information that I am failing to think of right now would also be helpful.

Thank you so much!

Will admit I have not read your entire scenario yet. Thought I’d ask first, have you seen this: https://www.distripplanner.com/ ? Might be helpful to you.

Also, are you aware that each portion of credits will expire at midnight the day of ‘checkout’ of each portion of your split stay? My understanding is that even though you are staying on, your credits expire.

If I’m wrong, someone please correct me but you may wish to look this up in the main thread that discusses DDP credits.

Last edited:
But, what I think would be most helpful would be the cost difference per day per adult/child between the two plans for segment 1 as well as the standard DDP cost segment 3. Also, confirmation of number of credits per night of stay that the DxDP would provide for segment 1 versus the DDP. I know that DDP is 1 QS and 1TS (plus 2 snacks) each night, and that DxDP combines the credits for use how one would like - but is it 2 or 3 each night? Any other information that I am failing to think of right now would also be helpful.

If I understand you correctly, you could have 7 people on DxDDP for 2 nights, so that would be 6 credits per person total and 4 snacks per person total. All of these will expire at midnight on the 24th. Plus ALL of these must be used, including snack, before you can start using the credits from stay two.

Cost difference:
From QSDP to DxDDP is $18.24K and $63.75A
From DDP to DxDDP is $14.24K and $40.76A

Are all of you in the same room for that first stay? You could just upgrade one room and cover more of the 2TS meals that way.

If I understand you correctly, you could have 7 people on DxDDP for 2 nights, so that would be 6 credits per person total and 4 snacks per person total. All of these will expire at midnight on the 24th. Plus ALL of these must be used, including snack, before you can start using the credits from stay two.

Cost difference:
From QSDP to DxDDP is $18.24K and $63.75A
From DDP to DxDDP is $14.24K and $40.76A

Are all of you in the same room for that first stay? You could just upgrade one room and cover more of the 2TS meals that way.
My 5 are at AoA and my folks are at Pop...for the whole trip.
Thurs is Mickey's BYBBQ, Fri is Pinocchio Haus for lunch and CRT dinner, Sat is Tusker House lunch and Satu'li dinner. We had put in a QS resort meal somewhere in there to not waste any credits while the AK was slid into the Nov 24 FD segment. By upgrading everyone for part 1, we don't have to rush to check in to our second stay before lunch...we just need to do that between lunch and dinner. We can make sure we use the snacks before then and save them in our fridge for later.

Logistically, it helps there, not having to pay oop for a big ticket meal in the beginning of the trip. And it allows the FD to absorb my folks doing a shared oop Le Cellier and my wife and I's Ohana date night dinner.

I might not be following, but if I upgrade one and not the other, with this schedule, how does that help?
Thanks!

My 5 are at AoA and my folks are at Pop...for the whole trip.
Thurs is Mickey's BYBBQ, Fri is Pinocchio Haus for lunch and CRT dinner, Sat is Tusker House lunch and Satu'li dinner. We had put in a QS resort meal somewhere in there to not waste any credits while the AK was slid into the Nov 24 FD segment. By upgrading everyone for part 1, we don't have to rush to check in to our second stay before lunch...we just need to do that between lunch and dinner. We can make sure we use the snacks before then and save them in our fridge for later.

Logistically, it helps there, not having to pay oop for a big ticket meal in the beginning of the trip. And it allows the FD to absorb my folks doing a shared oop Le Cellier and my wife and I's Ohana date night dinner.

I might not be following, but if I upgrade one and not the other, with this schedule, how does that help?
Thanks!

I hope my brain is working this right.

If you take out the lunch on Friday and Satu'li, then all of you need 5 credits for those three days, right? 5 x 7 = 35. Where does Le Cellier and Ohana fit into the timing here? I don't see time for it in these 3 days. If all of you are doing the BBQ, CRT and Tusker, then the math doesn't work. The 5 of you on DxDDP would give you 30 credits total, but your parents would only have 4 to add if they stay on DDP. Upgrading everyone gives you 42 credits total.

I hope my brain is working this right.

If you take out the lunch on Friday and Satu'li, then all of you need 5 credits for those three days, right? 5 x 7 = 35. Where does Le Cellier and Ohana fit into the timing here? I don't see time for it in these 3 days. If all of you are doing the BBQ, CRT and Tusker, then the math doesn't work. The 5 of you on DxDDP would give you 30 credits total, but your parents would only have 4 to add if they stay on DDP. Upgrading everyone gives you 42 credits total.
Le Cellier, plus Ohana, plus my folks' CP ate all oop during the FD part 2. So, sliding the first of the AK meals on Nov. 24 bridge day to part 1 would move those from OOP to FD. That's where those come from. Sorry. We were all going to pay oop for the part 1 CRT since we wouldn't have had room for it. So if Le Cellier and Ohana now become free and we no longer pay oop for CRT, you see how it shifts around? We originally built this around the standard plan, factored in bridge days, and that left us OOP for a few things, including a biggie right off the bat. But, yes, all 7 of us are all eating at the same places for all of the first leg. We won't start splitting up until Nov. 25. So, based on that, I don't think that bumping only one room would help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter