2017 WBPC: Zen, Self-Deprecation, and Reflections of a Life Well Cruised

Day 7, Saturday April 29, Panama Canal Day, Part IV
Music Recommendation: “Smells Like Teen Spirit" Nirvana

Whoops! I jumped right in to the dinner pictures without talking about the show that night. We went to the show before dinner, but I forgot about it, and that might tell you everything you need to know. Panama Canal night was headlined by Gary Lovini, a violin player. Mr Lovini is a very talented, skillful violinist. But at the end of the day, he is just a guy playing a fiddle. He didn’t have the same audience rapport that Guitar Man John Charles had, and he didn’t have any jokes or gags to supplement his violin playing. He seemed tentative and unsure of himself. I think it probably says more about me than it says about him, but regrettably, I was bored. Maybe it’s a measure of how good the entertainment has been on this cruise, and Mr. Lovini was tepid by comparison. Or maybe it’s an indication of how A.D.D. our society is, and I’m just another brick in that wall. I can’t say for sure. But I can tell you that as I sat in quiet desperation that night in the Walt Disney Theatre and watched the minutes tick off my watch, I wasn’t engaged at all with the Violin Man. Instead, I was thinking about Kurt Cobain belting out “Here we are now, entertain us.”

Please remember, this is just one opinion. I’m sure there were others that felt like Gary Lovini was the best show of the whole cruise. So here’s to diversity and the cornucopia of entertainment choices that Disney provides. There’s truly something for everyone.

IMG_0864 (Copy).JPG

After dinner we took an abbreviated walk. Abbreviated, because even DW had to admit, today had been one big cardio workout. We had ascended and descended the stairs so many times today that our legs were screaming George Carlin words at us. We were constantly going from the 4th floor to the 10th floor, and then back to our room to take in the view from each of these locations. We never stayed in any one spot for more than 10 minutes, and we didn't dare indulge in the coveted afternoon nap, for fear of missing an alligator or pterodactyl or something. I don't know how we did it, as dead on our feet tired as we were, but somehow we managed to make it to the 10:30 performance of Guitar Man John Charles, and once again he was captivating. The stark contrast between Guitar Man and Violin Man was so apparent, DW and I both felt a little sorry for Violin Man. I think maybe with time and experience, he will successfully transform his show into something a little more accessible to proletariats like me. Guitar Man's 10:30 show was more of the same goodness from the night before, with people in the audience actively shouting out song requests and Guitar Man John Charles knocking each request out of the park. It was a satisfying end to an historic, and life affirming day.

IMG_0865 (Copy).JPG

IMG_0867 (Copy).JPG

As we headed back to our room, DW asked me if the crossing was everything I had wanted it to be. I was lost in my thoughts and didn't hear her, so she elbowed me sharply. "Huh?" I responded (I'm a real wordsmith at 11:30pm). She queried again, "Was the crossing everything you wanted it to be, and what are you thinking about so hard?"

"The crossing was awesome," I said, using the tired, generic adjective.

"Then what are you so fixated on?" she pressed.

"I'm just thinking about how this has been on our bucket list for so long, and now it's not," I responded. "I suppose it's a little like buyer's remorse." She gave me this perplexed, sideways look, clearly calling me out as the nut box I am. I explained to her that this had been a lifetime goal for so long, and now that it had been accomplished, well, that's one less lifetime goal. How many more do I got in me?

IMG_0866 (Copy).JPG

Ok, so clearly I was a little melancholy. If the previous night had been characterized by the tangible excitement and earnest anticipation of opening Christmas presents in the morning, tonight was the sad realization that it would be 365 days until Santa came again. Would we ever have this opportunity to sail across a continent again? Who knows. Maybe, maybe not. I steeled myself against this grim reality and pressed forward.

IMG_0882.JPG

Back in the room, I brushed my teeth and prepared for sleep. The stairs, the humidity, the late nights - they had all taken their toll. And though I could never quite beat Miss speedy pants to sleep, I knew I wasn't far behind her tonight.

I laid down, and considered the introduction of the Disney Wonder into the Pacific Ocean. It was a birth of sorts. The ship had spent the day in the womb of the tropical jungle; that cradle of life that gives birth to countless animals and insects. The ship then made her way through the Panama birth canal. Aided by the contractions of the Cocoli locks, the continent whelped this massive ship out into the warm embrace of the Pacific Ocean. Well, I’ve got a sad story for you, Pacific Ocean. You’ll have but a few, shinning summer months with the Wonder, and then she’ll leave you for warmer waters. It’s the way of things. It’s the circle of life. And though you’ll be heart-broken to see her go, you’ll know in your deepest places, it’s the way things are supposed to be. Goodnight everyone.

IMG_0607.JPG

John, I wish we had the opportunity to meet on this sailing. I am very much enjoying reliving the memorable moments reading your report. Now lets get back to some more coffee floats, great meals, and sailing north in the Pacific to San Diego.

Me too! In fact, one thing that DW and I need to do a better job of is meeting people on these, and other social media outlets, before the trip, and then spend some time hanging with our new found friends. We always enjoy everyone we strike up conversations with. But for whatever reason, we don't put the time in before a trip to establish those connections. Ok, that's ripe for a 2018 resolution!

JG

Wonderful trip report. Love all your pictures and your writing style.

Thanks CaseyJo! Heh. There's something about my bi-polar, manic depressive, self-deprecating writing style that appeals to you. Well, you and maybe 2 other people.

Thanks so much for following -

JG

Cool? Yes, but I wanted it to be a blue police box. And bigger on the inside.

Horton-Hears-A-Doctor-Who-T-Shirt-sq.gif

Happy to be reading your trip reports again!

I'm really loving your trip report! Your writing style is really fun and the song selections are perfect! I've even made an iTunes playlist :)

Well thank you very much! Man! That's a lot of pressure! There's a couple of songs coming up that might cause your iTunes player to go, "No! Uh uh! Not going to play that!"

JG

^^ I agree! So many great song references, and your writing is just lovely. You capture the emotions behind the events so well. Am glad you are back to writing this report!

Yay! Still following along!

I had the prime rib in Tiana's when we were on the Wonder a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic! Honestly I think it's the best prime rib I've ever had!

Great photo op of the performing cast! Esp since they were done performing (in that particular group) at the end of your cruise.

I'm so glad you're still with me on this transcontinental Odyssey!! But more importantly, are you planning on doing a report on your trip? Please please please? I love your reports!

JG

Glad to see you back and looking forward to hearing about the last 7 days. :wave2:

Thanks! And let me just say that you put me to shame with the speed with which you got your August review out! Wow, and so many great pictures! I haven't finished it yet, but everything I've read so far is excellent! I saw that your husband had just got back from Saudi Arabia. I need to go that direction on business in 2018 my own self, to Abu Dhabi & Bahrain.

Thanks for following,

JG

Another happy reader here! Glad you resumed your tale. How was the seasickness on this cruise?

^^ I agree! So many great song references, and your writing is just lovely. You capture the emotions behind the events so well. Am glad you are back to writing this report!

Well thanks very much! The Nirvana song may have been pushing the envelope a little, for the typical Disboard demographic, but oh well. It is what it is.

Thanks for following!

JG

Another happy reader here! Glad you resumed your tale. How was the seasickness on this cruise?

For DW and I, non-existent. We both took Bonine the day before embarkation, and for the first 2 days of the cruise, while we got our sea legs. But then we stopped taking it, and never had an issue! There was one night coming north through the Pacific where we really rocked, and being forward, we felt it! But it had no negative impact, on either of us. In fact, it was fun. Like being rocked to sleep.

Thanks for making your way through all this drivel,

JG

I'm so glad you're still with me on this transcontinental Odyssey!! But more importantly, are you planning on doing a report on your trip? Please please please? I love your reports!

JG

Yes! I'm hoping to start it within the next week. The first two weeks back home after the cruise have been quite hectic (as you know from your own schedule!) but I want to get it started soon while it's still 'relatively' fresh in my mind:thumbsup2

Thanks! And let me just say that you put me to shame with the speed with which you got your August review out! Wow, and so many great pictures! I haven't finished it yet, but everything I've read so far is excellent! I saw that your husband had just got back from Saudi Arabia. I need to go that direction on business in 2018 my own self, to Abu Dhabi & Bahrain.

Thanks for following,

JG

I have a horrible memory and I am lazy and don't take notes, so I have to go into overdrive to remember it all. I'm about to start the non-planned WDW portion and I'm forgetting most of it! My husband travels over to the middle east somewhat frequently and I think he actually likes Abu Dhabi and Bahrain.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!