2017 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 31, 2017 - November 13, 2017

Got back from our trip last night. Spent a good deal of time at Food and Wine. It was our first time at the festival, and I really enjoyed it. Will definitely go back again.

Here's my assessment of the food I tried:

Active Eats: Roasted Verlasso salmon (very good), cucumber and lemon-lime hard sparkling water (very good, and actually packed a punch, unlike some other alcohol offerings I could name).

Coastal Eats: Baked shrimp scampi dip (very good; brought extra bread (had a baguette from France in my bag) which was good as they do not give you nearly enough bread), seared scallops (OK, scallops not really my thing but someone offered me a few bits and I wasn't about to say no).

Chocolate Studio: Liquid nitro chocolate-almond truffle (very good! plus who can resist the chance to try something prepared in such an unusual way?).

Cheese Studio: Cheese trio (quite good if a bit small; very pleasantly surprised by the strawberry macaron with pepper cheese, as I was skeptical about this).

Australia: Bush berry shrimp (very good; shrimp nicely cooked and sauce had just a bit of heat to it), Lamington (good though I'm not a coconut fan; however, I'd heard this cake mentioned in a book set in Australia and felt I should try it).

Patagonia: Beef empanada (tasty but not amazing).

Hawaii: Spam Hash (very good and something different, really enjoyed it), pineapple wine (refreshing!), and grilled tuna tatami (only got one bite of someone else's but I liked it a lot).

China: Roasted duck bun (a bit disappointing but I want to try it again and see if I just got a "meh" one. Liked the texture of the bun.)

Africa: Jam Jar Sweet Shiraz (liked this a lot. I like sweet wines and it's so hard to find a good sweet red. Definitely getting a bottle at BevMo.)

Italy: Frozen margarita with limoncello and tequila (tasted nice but had absolutely no punch to it).

Morocco: Mimosa royale (possibly my favorite beverage of the festival, light and refreshing).

Belgium: Waffle with chocolate ganache and whipped cream (om nom nom nom).

Brazil: cheese bread (delicious! and the cookbook has the recipe), crispy pork belly (the only flat-out disappointment; it was not nearly crispy enough, and the fat part was just an inedible blob).

France: warm goat cheese pudding (delicious!), croissant aux escargot (really good, snails were not too chewy), and passion fruit martini slush (second-favorite beverage).

Ireland: irish cheddar and stout dip (tasted good even though it's not visually appealing, but I've made cheddar and stout fondue and there's no way to make it nice looking. Have extra bread helped).

Scotland: Potato pancake with smoked salmon (very good. Pancake was crispy and paired very well with generous amount of smoked salmon and the sour cream).

Canada: cheddar cheese soup (delicious as always, soup had lots of bacon in it), filet mignon (tender and with excellent flavor), apple ice wine (always love this but the serving was tiny!).

Also got Dole Whips at Refreshment Post, because it was hot out.

Didn't see any of the fabled roving drunkards at the festival, but I was having mobility issues thanks to spraining my foot badly a few weeks back, and I was too busy watching where I was going to do much people watching.
Thanks for sharing! So excited, I go on Friday. Hoping the weather is good.

I think we have attended our last Party for the Senses. We were so underwhelmed last night. We found the set up to be horrible. We kept being bumped by people as we sat in our reserved seat. The problem was having vendors in the middle with tables too close to them as well as way too many people. There were not as many entree dishes and a lot of deserts. The DJ was good, but the main entertainment of violin players playing current music did nothing for us. We left at 9 and more than half the people had already left. I truly feel like we wasted our money. I'm sorry this is the case because we look forward to it ever year and this was our 8th.

I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the night, but we had quite the opposite experience! We have been going to this event for 7 years now and had gotten quite bored with the same entertainment each year. We loved the special "Walt Disney's Favorite's" night a couple of years ago, but just couldn't bring ourselves to listen to the Cirque music yet another year and we skipped it last year. This year the music was SUCH a wonderful change! We stayed to the end of the event for the very first time ever! We enjoyed sharing a table with folks who became new friends and we were "dancing" from food area to food area! I even took video of the electric strings band (Femme's of Rock) to show my kids when I returned home, they were great! I also felt like this was the first year that we had such an amazing selection of CHOCOLATE! Usually desserts are fruits, cheeses and macaroons and pastries. The chocolates were always tucked away in the Wine View Lounge. This year, even us lowly "non-reserved" tables had a taste of chocolate goodness! Lol!
My mom and I both really enjoyed the event (I in my mid 40's and Mom in her mid 60's). I suppose if Rock is not your type of music, this probably was NOT a palatable entertainment choice, but we were both very pleased. I have the menu here, and there were 18 savory dishes served (my favorite was salmon and waffles!) and 5 sweet stations/dishes. I thought it was a pretty fair ratio of savory to sweet. And the wines were all fabulous, at least the 5 or 6 I tried. Such a great night! We will definitely be going back. The changes were quite welcome to us!

I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the night, but we had quite the opposite experience! We have been going to this event for 7 years now and had gotten quite bored with the same entertainment each year. We loved the special "Walt Disney's Favorite's" night a couple of years ago, but just couldn't bring ourselves to listen to the Cirque music yet another year and we skipped it last year. This year the music was SUCH a wonderful change! We stayed to the end of the event for the very first time ever! We enjoyed sharing a table with folks who became new friends and we were "dancing" from food area to food area! I even took video of the electric strings band (Femme's of Rock) to show my kids when I returned home, they were great! I also felt like this was the first year that we had such an amazing selection of CHOCOLATE! Usually desserts are fruits, cheeses and macaroons and pastries. The chocolates were always tucked away in the Wine View Lounge. This year, even us lowly "non-reserved" tables had a taste of chocolate goodness! Lol!
My mom and I both really enjoyed the event (I in my mid 40's and Mom in her mid 60's). I suppose if Rock is not your type of music, this probably was NOT a palatable entertainment choice, but we were both very pleased. I have the menu here, and there were 18 savory dishes served (my favorite was salmon and waffles!) and 5 sweet stations/dishes. I thought it was a pretty fair ratio of savory to sweet. And the wines were all fabulous, at least the 5 or 6 I tried. Such a great night! We will definitely be going back. The changes were quite welcome to us!
Different strokes for different folks. Last year the entertainment was the DJ and a band that in our opinion was much better. I would have loved more cheese and fruit for desert as there was one station with organic cheese. We have always been able to get chocolate at our previous PFTS. The biggest complaint for us was the set up of the event and the number of people. We felt having a reserved seat, we should not have been placed so close to a vendor that we were constantly being bumped by people walking by or standing in line, nor should anyone. Maybe we have been too many times and it is time for a break.

We attended the What's Cooking with... Geoffrey Zakarian.
We were served brunch, then Geoffrey Zakarian made shrimp and grits and we were served that too.
View attachment 277251
View attachment 277250
View attachment 277249

View attachment 277247
My meatless plate was served with something I did not taste.
View attachment 277248
My shrimp and grits were served with a meatless item..
View attachment 277246

Oh my gosh! We've been wanting to try some of these special meals for ages, but never have because no one could give me an answer on whether vegetarian options would be available. Did you call ahead to tell them and if so, who? Have you done any other special f&w meals and were able to get vegetarian food choices? I'd truly love whatever information you have. And thank you so much!

:eek: We will be there on Thursday - they better get more in or I will be very disappointed.

WHAT? WHAT? NOOOO!!! NO THIS IS NOT OK!! They can literally run out of ANYTHING ELSE.

It's back. We had some today to toast our anniversary. Also got a box of Ghiradelli chocolates at the festival center so had champagne and chocolates. We crammed a lot of chocolate into the box - at least 25, plus there was a 20% AP discount.

Oh my gosh! We've been wanting to try some of these special meals for ages, but never have because no one could give me an answer on whether vegetarian options would be available. Did you call ahead to tell them and if so, who? Have you done any other special f&w meals and were able to get vegetarian food choices? I'd truly love whatever information you have. And thank you so much!
I did not call ahead. My daughter attended last year without me so knew a little about how it worked at the Italian lunch. She was scared of the lobster on the menu, so asked for "no lobster" and was given a few options to substitute. She also heard a lady who had allergies and they were accommodated. I've stayed away from F&W because I'm picky and assumed I wouldn't like anything.
At the Italian lunch, the menu is on the table. Since I don't eat red meat or pork, I started by asking the water girl if I could get no meat. She was the first person to the table, so I started with her. Then, a manager came to talk to me. She asked me if I had an allergy and I told her I was just part vegetarian. She gave me some options in place of the pork, and I went with the chicken dish. My daughter doesn't eat fish, so she substituted the fish for chicken. I was really impressed with the care from the manager. The food trays were right by me, and each course the manager would explain to the servers who was getting something different, one was no cheese, a few no pork, and one no ice cream.
At the "What's Cooking with..." I asked the server if I could get my brunch with no meat. Before the shrimp dish, they came by and asked if I wanted the shrimp and this is when my daughter also said no thanks to it and just asked for the grits. They served me something in place for the shrimp and brunch plate, but I'm not sure if it was tofu or fake meat.. I don't eat either of those..
I was most concerned about the Party for the Senses. My daughter attended last year, too, and assured me I would get enough to eat. I actually planned on getting fish and chips after, but didn't need to. At the tables it was a little confusing because most were already plated. Different tables expected me to know who to ask for a meatless plate, so I got scolded once for asking the wrong person. At one table, I asked for no meat and the guy asked me if I wanted the mushroom sauce, and as he started putting it on, the chef reminded him that it has bone marrow in it. There was one vegan item, one vegetarian item, a cheese table, and lots of vegetables. I do eat chicken, so I found enough to eat. Even without the one chicken dish, I would have been fine. I could have filled up on mashed potatoes!! Also, I got the red velvet donut without the candied pork, which I knew about because of Mix It, Make It.
I also did the French breakfast, but since it's a buffet, it was a non-issue. I didn't eat at any booths besides some cheese and desserts.
I'm always impressed with the way Disney handles food issues. I'm not sure why I thought F&W would be any different. I try not to put a burden on the servers and chefs and I never felt like anyone cared that I didn't want their food. I never left hungry and feel I got my money's worth at the events I attended. Since the menu isn't posted until you get there, I didn't feel bad telling them once I got there. Each time, I just mentioned "no meat" on my plate and then waited for them to give me options or just leave it off.

Please post a review when you have time!

Will do our best...but we're not near the talent level of the posters on this site...hopefully my new phone's camera is up to the challenge and can make all the pics look good (hoping for a miracle here)...we'll be there next Saturday for Day 2 of the Classic.

We've been planning our Fall visits around it for the last 4 years...just so wonderful

I did not call ahead. My daughter attended last year without me so knew a little about how it worked at the Italian lunch. She was scared of the lobster on the menu, so asked for "no lobster" and was given a few options to substitute. She also heard a lady who had allergies and they were accommodated. I've stayed away from F&W because I'm picky and assumed I wouldn't like anything.
At the Italian lunch, the menu is on the table. Since I don't eat red meat or pork, I started by asking the water girl if I could get no meat. She was the first person to the table, so I started with her. Then, a manager came to talk to me. She asked me if I had an allergy and I told her I was just part vegetarian. She gave me some options in place of the pork, and I went with the chicken dish. My daughter doesn't eat fish, so she substituted the fish for chicken. I was really impressed with the care from the manager. The food trays were right by me, and each course the manager would explain to the servers who was getting something different, one was no cheese, a few no pork, and one no ice cream.
At the "What's Cooking with..." I asked the server if I could get my brunch with no meat. Before the shrimp dish, they came by and asked if I wanted the shrimp and this is when my daughter also said no thanks to it and just asked for the grits. They served me something in place for the shrimp and brunch plate, but I'm not sure if it was tofu or fake meat.. I don't eat either of those..
I was most concerned about the Party for the Senses. My daughter attended last year, too, and assured me I would get enough to eat. I actually planned on getting fish and chips after, but didn't need to. At the tables it was a little confusing because most were already plated. Different tables expected me to know who to ask for a meatless plate, so I got scolded once for asking the wrong person. At one table, I asked for no meat and the guy asked me if I wanted the mushroom sauce, and as he started putting it on, the chef reminded him that it has bone marrow in it. There was one vegan item, one vegetarian item, a cheese table, and lots of vegetables. I do eat chicken, so I found enough to eat. Even without the one chicken dish, I would have been fine. I could have filled up on mashed potatoes!! Also, I got the red velvet donut without the candied pork, which I knew about because of Mix It, Make It.
I also did the French breakfast, but since it's a buffet, it was a non-issue. I didn't eat at any booths besides some cheese and desserts.
I'm always impressed with the way Disney handles food issues. I'm not sure why I thought F&W would be any different. I try not to put a burden on the servers and chefs and I never felt like anyone cared that I didn't want their food. I never left hungry and feel I got my money's worth at the events I attended. Since the menu isn't posted until you get there, I didn't feel bad telling them once I got there. Each time, I just mentioned "no meat" on my plate and then waited for them to give me options or just leave it off.

Thank you so much for all this info. Really appreciate it. We're a look-at-menus-ahead-of-time family, so we know what we're in for, and it's always been hard to justify the cost for a meal I didn't know if we could eat. But so many seem so interesting!
We did do the French breakfast one year and loved it, too. We could live on bread and cheese. :o) Unfortunately, they're not doing one while we're there this year.

Different strokes for different folks. Last year the entertainment was the DJ and a band that in our opinion was much better. I would have loved more cheese and fruit for desert as there was one station with organic cheese. We have always been able to get chocolate at our previous PFTS. The biggest complaint for us was the set up of the event and the number of people. We felt having a reserved seat, we should not have been placed so close to a vendor that we were constantly being bumped by people walking by or standing in line, nor should anyone. Maybe we have been too many times and it is time for a break.
We were wondering how people would react to the tables close to the vendors and now I know. I'm sorry you had this experience.

How many food items can an average person eat in a day? It'll be our first visit to F&W in early November and we have one full day in Epcot from rope drop to closing. I'm trying to plan our QSDP credits, but I have no idea how many items one can realistically eat. The plan is to have a quick snack at the hotel for breakfast and eat our way through Epcot, so would we be looking at 8, 10, 15 items each? There is obviously some variation in portion size, but I'm clueless at this point so any insight would be helpful.

How many food items can an average person eat in a day? It'll be our first visit to F&W in early November and we have one full day in Epcot from rope drop to closing. I'm trying to plan our QSDP credits, but I have no idea how many items one can realistically eat. The plan is to have a quick snack at the hotel for breakfast and eat our way through Epcot, so would we be looking at 8, 10, 15 items each? There is obviously some variation in portion size, but I'm clueless at this point so any insight would be helpful.
I think it depends on what else you have planned that day. We shared 10 items and several drinks (including full sized ones) one day and were full but we had an Ohana dinner that night and didn't want to eat too much. Another day we shared 10 items and drinks but had the Halloween party that night.

Good question...last week when DH and I were there I think we each had about four adult drinks and three food items each day (we went to Epcot at least once the five days we were there). At the hotel we would grab a quick yogurt or small muffin before heading to the parks. We are not really big eaters so I think it can vary from person to person on what you want to eat and how much.

If you are there all day with no dinner plans and if you share the individual items you can very easily get to 15+ items, sometimes an "item" if shared is just one bite....others are a bit bigger. DW and I share everything and are able to taste quite a bit in a full day....and we are GOING TO BE THERE THIS WEEKEND :):):)!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter