2006 WDW Half & Full Marathon - Any Advice?

Coastie

DVC Member - VWL & BWV
I'm thinking of doing the half... any advice from veteran WDW runners on what to expect? How fast does the field fill? Flat course and well marked?

Thanks!

There is a whole group of folks over on the WISH board with lots of great advice on the full and half. There are weekly threads plus a FAQ. I am planning on doing the half for the first time in January. I am not a runner so this is a stretch for me. I am hoping to do the full in 2007.

I am new to the boards, registered today. I have run the Disney marathon and half-marathon in the past. I ran the half this past Jan., loved it. Stayed at the Poly, monorail to the start can't be beat. Walked back to Poly from finish area. Recovered quickly and enjoyed the parks later that day. Marathon is a tougher way to go. If staying for a few days after the races, half-marathon makes more sense. Both races are crowded, just slow down a bit and enjoy. No pr's at this race. They have changed the schedule this year, IMHO it will be even better. See you at the start(if i wake up on time) :rotfl2:

Have done the full and the half. Plan to do both the full and the half in '06!! :crazy:

It is a fantastic experience, one of the better run marathons (usually) and an overall GREAT time.. In the past the half usually filled almost immediately, but with them seperating the 2 races this year, there should be some time to wait. Last year a number of the half runners apparently had some issues (details over on the Wish board) with closing MK early.

IMHO the course is EXTREMELY flat, though others complain about Contemporary Hill in the Half. As for well marked.. Definitely... Of course I am usually about 1/3 of the way back and not with the lead pack so I just follow the couple of thousand people in front of me :rotfl:

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Upon thinking about it (and re-reading your post), I guess I should make the comment that the Disney is NOT a PR run if that's what you are looking for.... Too much to look at / do along the way.... People stop and take pictures of the characters, the field in REALLY dense even in the elite corral (I was one corral back last year). Just FYI if that's what you are looking for, then this isn't the right race... Basically IMO it's for fun only...

I think I saw that tboth races are about 1/2 full right now. Please come join us on the WISH board if you're doing either! Alice speaks the truth and has the link posted above!

My sister had done the full marathon the past 3 years! :cool1: She does with her with DH, and some friends. I don't know where she gets the energy or will power :rotfl: She has always enjoyed this marathon the most. She does one (maybe) during the year, as well as an ironman :banana: She is one tough cookie! Goodluck if you do this. My sister likes running thru the parks, she said it's very inspirational. Last year she was only going to do half because she was so sick with a cold and said she left her lung in MGM. But she made it thru the full! I told you she was one tough cookie! Can you tell I am proud of her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter