2 year olds and the Parks...

GoofTroop92

Earning My Ears
Looking to bring my daughter to Disney for her 2nd birthday (with friends with a 2 year old as well) next September. We are booking our DVC resort soon, but we have yet to use our DVC membership yet. Our “Home” is Animal Kingdom Lodge. From what I can gather, seems like a good choice for the kids. Anyone recommend any of the other resorts (if I can get into them)?
Also, is doing all 4 parks a good idea with the little ones? We were thinking of doing 3 park days if we did with a park hopper on one of them.
Anything we should really prioritize for the kids? I’m used to doing everything I can and not having to worry about height restrictions, being too scary, etc. that i have to worry about now. HELP!

Our home resort is BLT and for us the fact that it is walking distance to MK and monorail to Epcot is key. We love AKL as well and have stayed there multiple times. It would be my 2nd choice with kids. The lobby is breathtaking!

If this is your first trip with a child my main advice would be to be flexible. Make plans but know that it might have to change.

The one thing I never realized was so scary until I had kids is It's Tough to be a Bug. When our DD was 2 we had to leave the theater.

Another vote for BLT. Though AKV is also great for the kids (though I might prefer Jambo because of better restaurants for kids)

Don't try to do everything. Remember that parades and water fountains to jump in are just as exciting as rides. Take naps. Make a touring plan, but the goal is more to avoid being in lines for 30 minutes with 2yo rather than to do everything. And don't be afraid to change things.

Bruce

I would book a Savanna view room at AK. With a two year old, the resort pools and balcony overlooking the animals will be just as fun as the theme parks. Are you booking a 2 bedroom with the other couple?

Ditto on BLT. Being able to walk to and from the MK was great, especially after fireworks. As others will attest, take it slowly, don't try to see everything. Perhaps one park a day is sufficient. When our kids were that age we let them lead us and were able to see WDW from their eyes. Lots of character meet & greets.

I went with a 20 month old, don't stress too much over what hotel you pick.

I know everyone says BLT is good for proximity to MK, but we spend the least amount of time in that park. We're team Epcot through and through.

I had hoppers but I've always had hoppers. Be prepared to change your plans, my kid HATED rides. She liked only a handful so we focused more on experiences/meet and greets. Her favorite parts were probably the splash pad at POFQ and climbing on park benches.

AKL is my favorite resort but with kiddos, I'd probably choose a monorail resort if possible depending on the parks you prefer.

I would book a Savanna view room at AK. With a two year old, the resort pools and balcony overlooking the animals will be just as fun as the theme parks. Are you booking a 2 bedroom with the other couple?
Yes! We figure it would be good for the kids to have a friend for a majority of the time we are there.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. What is everyone’s thought on the best Character Dining for the little ones?

At 2 our youngest (in my avatar) was somehow terrified of characters when we started our trip. I still remember Winnie the Pooh at CP gradually coaxing her to come out and give a hug.

I also prefer CP for the food, location, and characters over Chef Mickeys. But it may matter more what characters your kids like. If Doc McStuffins and Sofia, Hollywood and Vine. If Mickey etc, Tusker House at AK (or Chef Mickey if necessary). If Princesses, Akershus for breakfast.

Bruce

Either resort will be great. We did a split BLT/OKW trip with our 5 and 2 year old last summer and both resorts were fabulous with little ones. BLT was great for the MK convenience factor, but honestly OKW was more convenient for every other park. The buses are great, and little ones are excited to ride them. AKL would be similar. Direct buses are way better than having to do a monorail transfer to get to say, Epcot. My husband and I also enjoyed the tranquility of OKW after 5 nights of hustle and bustle of an MK area resort. I’m sure you’d find the same at AK. It’s nice to have a calm place to go back to at the end of the day.

Have a great trip! 2 is a magical age at WDW.

We went a month before my daughter's second birthday. She loved the rides and nothing ride wise scared her at all. But she's seven now and loves rollercoasters. She was scared of any costume characters but having an autograph book helped her approach them. The hardest part with her were shows. She had no interest in sitting and even at the Disney Junior show she was antsy by the end. I wore her on my back in lines and on buses. That helped a lot because she was contained.

We went a month before my daughter's second birthday. She loved the rides and nothing ride wise scared her at all. But she's seven now and loves rollercoasters. She was scared of any costume characters but having an autograph book helped her approach them. The hardest part with her were shows. She had no interest in sitting and even at the Disney Junior show she was antsy by the end. I wore her on my back in lines and on buses. That helped a lot because she was contained.
That’s a good idea about wearing her. What did you use to put her on your back? My daughter is too big now for our “Carlos Carrier” (as we call it!)

Looking to bring my daughter to Disney for her 2nd birthday (with friends with a 2 year old as well) next September. We are booking our DVC resort soon, but we have yet to use our DVC membership yet. Our “Home” is Animal Kingdom Lodge. From what I can gather, seems like a good choice for the kids. Anyone recommend any of the other resorts (if I can get into them)?
Also, is doing all 4 parks a good idea with the little ones? We were thinking of doing 3 park days if we did with a park hopper on one of them.
Anything we should really prioritize for the kids? I’m used to doing everything I can and not having to worry about height restrictions, being too scary, etc. that i have to worry about now. HELP!

I would drop the hopper option unless you are staying at an Epcot area resort or want to make this a last fling adult type trip (nothing wrong with that) given the age of your parties' children. Also wouldn't have a problem lowering the amt of parks visited.

For the children I would look for interactive activities, explore if they've an interest in characters via meets as opposed to automatically booking character meals, and visit the various park and resort children play areas.

I think that AKL is a great resort with little ones. We liked it when my own DGD was young.

I do think that any resort you choose shoudl be one you are happy with, the children will be fine anywhere. I would not worry about which park to spend the most time, in, but woudl hit them all. There is a lot for little ones to be entertained by in every park, and while MK seems to be the obvious park, my DGD was happiest in DHS and Epcot.

For a character meal, I woudl look at Garden Grill, any meal. WE also liked Crystal Palave, however if you want the food brought to you, you cannot beat the Chipmunks in GG>

We love Cape May breakfast. Great character interactions, we never feel rushed! My oldest hated characters and would scream his head off if they even came close. My DD23 months loves them! I am not a fan of BLT, we love Epcot area resorts.Both of my children love AKL Savannah view rooms, but I dislike the transportation at that resort. We have stayed quite a few times and the busses always take forever. Personally I would book 2 studios at BCV, PV,GFV or BWV. Have a great trip!

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. What is everyone’s thought on the best Character Dining for the little ones?

With little kids, I like Garden Grill breakfast and Ohana Stitch breakfast, because it's served family style. That way nobody has to get up to get food.

I think that AKL is a great resort with little ones. We liked it when my own DGD was young.

I do think that any resort you choose shoudl be one you are happy with, the children will be fine anywhere. I would not worry about which park to spend the most time, in, but woudl hit them all. There is a lot for little ones to be entertained by in every park, and while MK seems to be the obvious park, my DGD was happiest in DHS and Epcot.

For a character meal, I woudl look at Garden Grill, any meal. WE also liked Crystal Palave, however if you want the food brought to you, you cannot beat the Chipmunks in GG>
Interesting! What about DHS did they like?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter