2 way radios

CR1SSY

Earning My Ears
Has anyone used 2 way radios? Are they worth buying or hiring, where would you get them from & how much? We are thinking of splitting up our party & as our mobiles won't work over there are trying to think of another way to keep in touch

Hi,

We used 2 way radios and found them invaluable.

Go to Walmart or so to buy them.

NB: The ones from the US are illegal to operate here and vice versa. They work on different frequencies and can interfere with Emergency Services channels.

We used them last year when we went away with another family and found them invaluable not only in the parks but in the cars. We were able to communicate with each other as to exits and turnings etc. It certainly made it a lot easier to both end up in the same lane in plenty of time. The only thing I will say is that the batteries didn't last a long time. We found standard batteries only lasted a matter of hours but we got a lot longer out of the duracell ones (I'm sounding like a battery advert now!)

We always find them invaluable in the parks. Also when we visit Walmart or other large super stores we give one to our son who is now 12, he can go and look at what interest him and we have hassel free shopping.

Dee :Pinkbounc :bounce:

i was just about to post this question too! any way anyone got an idea of prices? and minx good idea about using them in walmart! this means i wont lose my hubby! spent most of my time in walmart looking for him!;) :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Check out Wal Mart FRS Radios for prices, but beware they may not have everything in stock, but there are 3 or 4 Wal Marts in the Orlando area.
Best ones are the ones with 38 privacy codes "sub channels".

I'm sorry to be a bit of a kill joy about this. We bought radios from Walmart (about $50 I think) and were extremely disappointed with them. In the parks all we could hear were other people, actually trying to talk to dw was almost impossible! Maybe it was the radios we got, I don't know. What I do know is that we are taking a tri-band mobile with us this August, and hiring another from the rental company .

Matty,

As Dave (TFM) said - get the ones with as many sub channels as you can afford.

Also - have a strategy to avoid using common combinations.

We have a set of these radios and they were invaluable at WDW. If you buy a set, they come in two different types. The less expensive kind have 14 channels I think. If you get these, you will hear everyone else's conversation in the world.

The second kind has 14 channels, plus 38 subchannels for each of the 14 channels. With these, you can always find a subchannel that is not being used by others.

The batteries can get expensive too. We invested a little more and got a set that has rechargable batteries. They recharge in about 3 hours or so, and you don't have to keep buying new batteries.

These radios are great for the parks, especially if you are in a group and want to split up. This way, you can meet back without anyone getting lost.

We can't decide whether to buy or rent - renting seems so expensive, but as we can't use them in this country if we buy at Walmart, we are not sure whether to go with renting. Has anyone done this or do they have any information about a company called Airwave Communications (recommended in the Brits Guid to Orlando & WDW - but only a phone no. no website).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter