2 Questions...

Goofy41

Goofy-Dad
1. What are the chances of upgrading the day of the cruise..?

2. On the Halloween themed cruises are you allowed to wear masks and are adults allowed to wear costumes. We were at Disney couple years ago during Halloween time and they had said No children over 12 i thnk and No adults were permitted to be dressed..? Thx.

1. Generally not very good but you never know until you get there.
2. Yes on the costumes as there will be a lot of adults dressed up. I don't really recall if any adults wore actual masks or not as it's been a little while since we did a Halloween cruise.

2. On the Halloween themed cruises are you allowed to wear masks and are adults allowed to wear costumes. We were at Disney couple years ago during Halloween time and they had said No children over 12 i thnk and No adults were permitted to be dressed..? Thx.

I'm betting money they do NOT allow masks, and I would agree with that. Perhaps it would make a difference if it was a simple across the eyes mask vs. full face.

Adults CAN dress up but the costumes must be tasteful and not too scary. I could find nothing re: rules on the DCL site, but here's a short video from Disney Parks on costume guidelines for MNSSHP:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...nes-for-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party/

I agree with DynamicDisneyDuo that the chances of upgrading may not be great, but IMO, it depends on what you are hoping to upgrade to. If you're hoping for an upgrade available for concierge, that chance is pretty slim. If you're wanting say, an upgrade from an Inside room to a verandah room, that may very well be available! :cutie: What is the date of your sailing?

After watching the short video for which I have the link posted above, Adults can NOT wear any type of mask at all if DCL follows the WDW rules (and I can't imagine them NOT). Even on just Pirate Night there are lots and lots of grown-ups in various types of costumes, some elaborate, some as simple as the pirate bandana they give out. :-)

I will add, however, that on Star Wars cruises, there are alot of adults with Darth Vader/Storm-trooper-type costumes that have full helmets/masks, which are allowed.

Interesting...... of course a Storm Trooper would look pretty weird with no helmet..... o_O

Oh, and OP, I did see on DCL's site that they will be having an adult costume party with a costume contest!

I agree with DynamicDisneyDuo that the chances of upgrading may not be great, but IMO, it depends on what you are hoping to upgrade to. If you're hoping for an upgrade available for concierge, that chance is pretty slim. If you're wanting say, an upgrade from an Inside room to a verandah room, that may very well be available! :cutie: What is the date of your sailing?

After watching the short video for which I have the link posted above, Adults can NOT wear any type of mask at all if DCL follows the WDW rules (and I can't imagine them NOT). Even on just Pirate Night there are lots and lots of grown-ups in various types of costumes, some elaborate, some as simple as the pirate bandana they give out. :-)

I don't know the precise rules, but my sense was that the rules were much different on DCL than WDW, not only masks but certain "weapons" (like light sabers) and aren't there rules at WDW about dressing too much like Disney Characters? I don't think DCL has those rules.

Does anyone here know more completely what the DCL costume rules are to stop us from guessing, or at least if additional people who have experienced costumes on DCL can share their experiences. Thanks.

Does anyone here know more completely what the DCL costume rules are to stop us from guessing, or at least if additional people who have experienced costumes on DCL can share their experiences. Thanks.

I find it weird that DCL doesn't seem to have their guidelines on their site. Or at least it did not turn up in a search of same.

I have not sailed a Halloween cruise, but I've been on a LOT of DCL cruises where costumes are aplenty on Pirate Night. :-)

Took some searching, but this is what I was able to find on the Disney site:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/preparing-for-cruise/pack-list/Costumes – During themed cruises and on board celebrations like Pirate Night, Guests are invited to dress in costume. We value safety and good judgment and ask Guests to choose costumes that are family friendly, not obstructive, objectionable, offensive or violent. To avoid any disappointment or delay in the boarding process, please refrain from bringing toys or props that resemble guns, knives or other related implements. Masks that completely cover a person’s face may only be worn when standing still at character photo locations and must be carried when moving around the ship. Guest may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs. Guests that fail to comply with these guidelines may be removed from events unless their costume can be modified.

Right after I posted the above, I clicked on the link to make sure I had it posted correctly and it went to the page that has the Stitch ate the page. They certainly don't make it easy to find, you would think they would have the info on the page that tells about the Halloween cruises, but they don't. I found it on the FAQ page under the What should I pack section.

Ok, apparently if you click on the word judgement in the above description, it will take you to the page on Disney's site. Not sure if I copied and pasted it wrong or what, but that gets you to the page I found.

Last edited:
Took some searching, but this is what I was able to find on the Disney site:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/preparing-for-cruise/pack-list/Costumes – During themed cruises and on board celebrations like Pirate Night, Guests are invited to dress in costume. We value safety and good judgment and ask Guests to choose costumes that are family friendly, not obstructive, objectionable, offensive or violent. To avoid any disappointment or delay in the boarding process, please refrain from bringing toys or props that resemble guns, knives or other related implements. Masks that completely cover a person’s face may only be worn when standing still at character photo locations and must be carried when moving around the ship. Guest may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs. Guests that fail to comply with these guidelines may be removed from events unless their costume can be modified.

Wow! Good work, lklgoodman! I am actually on the phone w/DCL right this minute and the agent told me verbatim what you posted. I just asked her for where that could be found. :cutie: :thanks:

DCL also said that costumes for adults are only allowed during Halloween sailings, Pirate Night, Marvel or Star Wars sailings. Makes sense. :D

Being Disney, I knew there had to be a catch re: adults walking around in full head helmets/masks.

We sail Oct 13th for my Sons wedding, 50-60 guests

The chances are slim since most ships (except some Dream sailings) sail with every cabin occupied. If you want to have the best shot, you need to be one of the first person in line at the terminal. If you are willing to be there super early, you might have a chance. That being said, unless you are upgrading to a Concierge room, the deals will not be great and you are better off upgrading before bookings close if a room you prefer is still available. If your cruise is sold out, then your only shot is to grab the cabin of someone who had to cancel last minute at the terminal.

We sail Oct 13th for my Sons wedding, 50-60 guests

Oh, CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is wonderful, and what a way to celebrate! :cheer2:

Fantasy or the Magic? I did not look to see which concierge they have available but both these sailings on 10/13/18 show to have concierge available. Not sure what you were hoping to upgrade to?

I’ll add personal experience when we cruised a Halloween themed cruise lots of adults dressed up. The night before the cruise director made an announcement at the show to use caution when wearing a mask and that they would prefer guests not wear masks when walking and definitely NOT on the stairs.

It’s a somewhat weird sensation (at least for me) wearing an eye mask while on a moving ship. I found that I was a little more unsteady.

2 years ago on the Dream my son in law wore a full rabbit head to the Halloween party and pirate night (he put an earring, eye patch on it). They nicely asked him not to wear it walking the halls (safety)
I tried uploading a picture but it says it is too big a file and I don't know how to resize it.

Oh, CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is wonderful, and what a way to celebrate! :cheer2:

Fantasy or the Magic? I did not look to see which concierge they have available but both these sailings on 10/13/18 show to have concierge available. Not sure what you were hoping to upgrade to?
Magic out of NYC

In 9 Disney cruises, we've never been upgraded at the port.

My husband and daughter went full out pirate costumes on one of our cruises and had a great time and we got some great pictures. Those costumes filled a whole suitcase, and they made use of them at DisneyWorld on the same trip for the Halloween night party. Unfortunately for them, it was 100 degrees that night in the park and most of their costumes are wool. Not fun. It was even too hot for Disney to give out chocolate candy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter