2 questions - what exactly is Playhouse Disney & the Columbia ship?

colbybug

DIS Veteran
I have never heard of the Columbia ship but then I haven't been on any of the raft or canoe rides either. Am I missing something?

What is Playhouse Disney - Live on Stage? Is it a show? How long is it? What ages is it geared for?

We are going back to DL in 2 weeks and this time we would like to go to things or try rides that we never have before. I have never been on California Screaming or Tower of Terror either and now that we have a small child, I'm not sure we'll get to ride either for a few years...UNLESS, we figure out how to do the child swap thing. I have learned so much from these boards. I can't imagine going without all the info and tips that I have gotten from all of you! THANK YOU! :thumbsup2

Kathy

The columbia is the pirate ship used for fanstasmic. Guests can ride it mainly around the tom sawyer island just like they can the mark twain riverboat.

Playhouse disney is a show geared for little kids. Dont know how long it is never seen it.

Have fun on your trip!

The canoes are the only "man" powered ride in the park. You actually paddle them, they are not on a track of any kind. They have been there since 1956! They are a great arm workout. LOL

The sailing ship Columbia runs on a limted schedule. If you see it running, go for a ride!

Do use child swap so you can go on some big rides. Its not hard to use, really, I promise. Ask the cm at the enterance for a child swap pass, and they will give you one. When the first rider returns they will either have you go into the fast pass line or in thru the exit to ride.

Not sure about the play house disney questions. We have yet to make it in there.

Playhouse Disney is a maybe 25 minute show featuring Bear In The Big Blue House, JoJo and Goliath, Stanley and a few other characters (maybe Winnie The Pooh or Rolie Polie Olie). The kids and adults sit on the floor and Bear gets the audience pumped up for the show. The kids dance and have a grand old time. Target age for this show is about 2-5 years old.

Turn on the Disney Channel in the morning and you'll learn what Playhouse Disney is all about.

I just wish they could get the Wiggles in there!!

We just got back last week from DL. Playhouse Disney was really cute. My kids are ages 22 months, 5, and 6. They all liked it, except my 6 y/o "pretended" he didn't KWIM? :rolleyes2 I would say it was about 25 minutes long.
I also recommend to do the child swap on some of the rides the little one can't go on. You could even do the FP in combo with the child swap thing, and it works great!
Have fun
Katie

Katie0677 said:
They all liked it, except my 6 y/o "pretended" he didn't KWIM? :rolleyes2 Katie

LOL :rotfl: We just got back and we took a 9yo, 8yo, 7yo, 4yo and 2 yo into playhouse disney and my older kids also pretended they didn't like it, but they were glued to the stage during the whole show. That was the 3rd time they've seen it and they always like it.

A little more on both:

The Columbia route is the same as the Mark Twain. They fire the bow cannon a couple of times for effect. You can go below the main deck and view examples of what would actually be found aboard ships of that era. The Captain's Cabin is quite well adorned with period items. Your little one should enjoy the quite calm of the ride though you'll want to stay astern or below decks until the cannon shots are done.

Playhouse Disney is about a 25 minute show, opened by a DCA CM (named Jamie) who interacts with Bear and the rest or the Big Blue House cast. They work to convince Tutter that it's ok to try new things. Along the way they visit JoJo's Circus and cure Goliath of his hiccups and take a bow. Then it's on to Stanley & Dennis to learn about Gorillas and good hygene. The final stop is Winnie the Pooh and friends (Tigger, Eeyore, Piglet & Narrator) to learn about friendship. Then it's back to BBH for the closing scenes and the Good Night Song with Luna. It's aimed at the 1-5yo set, but most ages should enjoy the songs and puppetry.

hlbtimes2 said:
The sailing ship Columbia runs on a limted schedule. If you see it running, go for a ride!

I grew up going to Disneyland at least once a year and in my 40+ years, I can only remember going on it once. They only run the Columbia when the park is very crowded or if the Mark Twain is down for maintenance. hlbtimes2 is right; if you see it sailing, go for it. Who knows when you may get a chance again.

From a more historical perspective, the Columbia is a recreation of the Columbia Rediviva, one of the first 2 American vessels to travel out of Boston, round Cape Horn (although the Columbia narration says the Cape of Good Hope - duh!) and up to the Pacific Northwest to trade with the native Americans. The original vessel also made trips to the Orient, to trade the NW otter pelts for tea. She traveled in consort with the brig Lady Washington, a re-creation of which was built in the 80's in WA state and which now sails on a variety of programs, including a trip along the CA coast each winter (and on which I've crewed).

The crew of the Lady visit DLR every Christmas and give the crew of the Columbia a lesson in what it would be like to really sail the Columbia. Then, the Columbia crew visits the Lady for a day sail, so they can try their hands at working the lines of a true sailing vessel.

The Columbia is always worth a visit, if she's sailing. Even when she's not, you can get a look at her docked at Fowler's Landing, near the Haunted Mansion.

I hope my geography is still good, but as best as I can remember, the Columbia River, which divides much of Washington from Oregon, was named after the original ship, which sailed up the river in 1792.

Magix said:
From a more historical perspective, the Columbia is a recreation of the Columbia Rediviva, one of the first 2 American vessels to travel out of Boston. . . She traveled in consort with the brig Lady Washington, a re-creation of which was built in the 80's in WA state and which now sails on a variety of programs, including a trip along the CA coast each winter (and on which I've crewed).

Unless I'm very much mistaken, wasn't the Lady Washington the stolen ship in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie?

The Texas Kid - you're correct. The river was named for the Columbia Rediviva.

Dobie - You're correct, too. It was the HMS Interceptor. Yes, Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom stood on those very same decks. That always gets the teenage girls riled up when they come aboard for a dockside tour!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter