2 days between Burbank and Sequoia/Kings Canyon - what to do?

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
I have 2 days to travel from Burbank airport to Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Any recommendations on what to do? My boss (completely unexpectedly) told me that he gave me the day before my vacation off! I was supposed to fly into Cali on July 11...I have hopped on to Southwest and have rebooked my flight. Thankfully, cheap flights into Cali are still available (love no change fees on SW). Now I'm flying in July 10th....woweeeee!!!

I did hit a few snags though. Flights into San Jose (where I was originally booked) have gone up. I waffled between LAX and Burbank and have settled on Burbank to cut down on driving slightly (although the difference is minimal. Still, I figure it is an easier airport to navigate).

Now I need to figure out where to go and what to do!! I have nixed my original plans of Monterey. I am due to arrive at Sequoia National Park on July 12th. So I have July 10 and 11 free and have to work my way up North. It will be DH, myself, DD, and DS. We tend to like the outdoors and small, quaint towns (not so much into the urban city vibe). Prefer not to do any theme parks (although I was tempted by Magic Mountain) since we will be spending a week in DL and also have APs to Universal Orlando this year. Also, no aquariums as my DH's view is that "I've seen 1 fish, I've seen them all". We are frugal-minded and like stuff that offers us the "most bang for our buck" although we are not adverse to spending on unique experiences. Also trying hard to keep the driving minimal for DH's sake. Any "don't miss" spots? I am thinking...

July 10
11am arrive in Burbank. Drive 3.5 hours to San Luis Obispo/Pismo Beach. Check in and rest for a couple of hours. Evening in Pismo Beach/Avila Beach. Sleep early. (long flight from the midwest)

July 11
Start early around 6/7am? (I expect us to be jetlagged).
Morning: Avila Hot Springs (1-2 hours), Pismo Beach dune buggies (1 hour),
Afternoon: Whale Watching Tour (1 hour), chill on the beaches.
Leave at 4pm. Drive 3 hours to Three Rivers. Stay the night outside Sequoia National Park (quick drive in super early the next morning).

Thoughts, feedback, suggestions? I had also considered extending my time in Sequoia (we will have 3 full days there) but feel we really should take this chance to get a taste of the California Coast (I haven't been since I was 10). Hitting the Coast means an extra 3 hours or so of driving though.

Last edited:
Hearst Castle is probably the biggest "must see" attraction near there. It's about an hour north of SLO. Maybe make a pit stop at Solvang on the way up?

I checked out Hearst Castle...but I think we will skip it for this trip. It is pricey plus we toured Windsor Castle last year (kids were done oohing and aahing about halfway through).

THANK YOU for reminding me about Solvang. I am drooling about the bakeries already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter