2 DAS and Stroller as Wheelchair

TLMAriel

Earning My Ears
Note: I am planning to request DAS based upon a neurological condition that is often triggered by anxiety (social, general, claustrophobia). The condition can take away my speech, cause muscle jerking (people would think it were a seizure but it apparently isn't), twitching and temporary paralysis.

I'm thinking it's fairly likely I'll be approved for it (hoping, anyway because idk what I'll do if not), so I'm not sure if I should bother requesting one for my DS. He has terrible sensory processing disorder, so I was planning to request a stroller wheelchair tag.

My questions are:
Should I request a DAS for him if I am approved for one?

and

How do I request the wheelchair stroller? Do I need to fill out anything or explain?

Thank you so much. This board has relieved a great deal of the stress.

If you book a ride using DAS then the person with the DAS pass must go on the ride, so it might be wise to get both right at the beginning... just in case one of you wants to go on a ride and the other doesn’t. The ‘stroller as wheelchair’ is a large sticker that is attached to your stroller and they just give it to you when you get the DAS (if you ask for it). We’ve done DAS several times for my son with ASD, and the stroller sticker has always been offered right away as well.

We also found it helpful to make use of some ‘quieter areas’ in both parks when my son just needed a short break. It saved us from having to leave the park. They will also show you on a map where those areas are.

Good luck with your trip! Disney can be an assault on the senses, but if you can plan ahead a bit (with the DAS, for example) it can also be manageable and an amazing time!

Also, you can have a DAS booking and a Fastpass at the same time. So that can help with planning things as well.

Note: I am planning to request DAS based upon a neurological condition that is often triggered by anxiety (social, general, claustrophobia). The condition can take away my speech, cause muscle jerking (people would think it were a seizure but it apparently isn't), twitching and temporary paralysis.

I'm thinking it's fairly likely I'll be approved for it (hoping, anyway because idk what I'll do if not), so I'm not sure if I should bother requesting one for my DS. He has terrible sensory processing disorder, so I was planning to request a stroller wheelchair tag.

My questions are:

and

How do I request the wheelchair stroller? Do I need to fill out anything or explain?

Is anyone else going with you? If it's just the two of you, you'll only need one DAS, as you would go on things together, right? You can't have two DAS return times at the same time, so if you each have a DAS, you could only be on one return time of the two.

If there's any possibility that there are rides that one of you may not want to go on, if you're already there, you might as well ask. If I'm remembering right, you have more than one kid and also another adult with you. I've had situations where my older kid wants to ride something and I'm not feeling up to it, so I'll have my husband ride with him while I stay with the other kid. If I was the one with DAS (instead of my kid), then they wouldn't be able to use it, since I wouldn't be riding.

Stroller wheelchair is great, especially if he gets overwhelmed. We like keeping something he can mess around with with his hands (one of those squishy animal things that are so popular right now) and we also have one of those thin muslin baby blankets we can drape over the top if it's still too much even in the stroller. We also have a couple of those whirly light things. Sometimes "removing" the other stimulation by having him settled in the stroller and then giving him something that you'd think would be overstimulating (the whirly light thing) really helps him, because it's stimulation he's controlling and that's repetitive. I'm not sure any of that made sense :rotfl2:

My questions are:

and

Go to GR and talk to GR about your family need ( your and your son) you can let them know you both have needs and want to know what they can do for you. For the tag you do need to let the CM know why he needs to have his stroller in line just like for the DAS you need to let them know why you need to wait out side the line.

There are times I have a hard time talking I have written things on my phone when I need to talk to the CM. ( like if I need a certain set on a ride) they have all be ok with this.

Thank you all, I'm so grateful for the help you give! Yes, I am going to have my husband with me . I'll probably go on everything with him but no guarantees. I bought a Keenz stroller because it has curtains that come down around it so he can just chill without the visual stimuli and also bought a sensory bundle on Amazon. Hopefully this will all work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter