1st trip alone

MzEeyore

What?!?!! I'm NOT a Princess?!?!? Who knew!!
Usually on our trips, I take my mom and step dad but this December they can't make it so it is going to be just my daughter and my self (never can get the hubby to go). I was wondering if any one else travels alone with their kids and what kind of things do you do?? And did you go nuts not having any other adults to talk to?
We are going to stay 6 nights and 7 days and I am trying to decide now if we are going to stay at the WL or the Polynesian.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks,
Joanie

Joanie,
I'm going alone with my five year old in June. My DH and my other kids are all taking other vacations and my youngest son and I are taking a vacation alone. We are staying at AKL. I will let you know how going solo with a child is:D

You will have a great time!!!!::yes::

We go frequently, me, DW, and 2 DD's (16&17). Nothing compares to when we all go together. At least once a year for 7-10 nights on site...That being said, my DW and I rotate by taking the girls on separate trips. We let the girls choose the resort.

Last time it was me and DD - 16 at AKL...the time before it was DW and DD - 17 at WL. This Summer we all go to the Poly and GF. Later in the Summer me and DD - 17 go to Poly and DW and DD - 16 go to BC)

IMHO, it allows us to share an adventure completely focused on that child. Great coversations, observations, experiences, fun and relaxation, shopping, etc. We always have a blast! ::yes::

You will have a great AND unique time!

Please don't hesitate to do it!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

My dd, then just turned 10, and I traveled to WDW in Dec all by ourselves. I had never done it before either. But we had a great time. Well, except that she got sick the day after we got there. And the fact that she kept seeing all the places she had seen on her first trip with her grandmother (who had passed away 1 1/2 months before and this was a trip to just 'get away' from all the grief). But, you know what? It was fun. We did exactly what WE wanted to do. Not what her dad wanted or what some other person wanted. We took our time and relaxed. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was a special mom and kid time. And that is priceless!!!

I am not hesitating to do this as I am looking forward to our "girl only" trip but it is also a little frightening as we have never traveled alone before. Cheyenne will turn 8 on Dec. 5 while we are there and I look forward to planning things for her birthday and for things for just the 2 of us. Which resort would you choose?? WL or the Polynesian?? We have stayed at both and loved both of them so the 2 of us keep going back and forth on where we want to stay. I want to make our reservations within a couple of days and we are so undecided on where to stay and what to do. I know that neither of us is really crazy about Epcot so we probably won't be visting that park. And I would like to know what restaurants to try. I do know that we want to do the Christmas party on one of the nights that we are there.
We are driving and my husband worries about us leaving the park so late and then going thru the parking lot alone so I am thinking the Poly so we can have monorail access just to be on the safe side and to put my husband's mind at ease. What do you think.
Thanks,
Joanie

Originally posted by MzEeyore
We are driving and my husband worries about us leaving the park so late and then going thru the parking lot alone so I am thinking the Poly so we can have monorail access just to be on the safe side and to put my husband's mind at ease. What do you think.
Thanks,
Joanie

I would stay at the Poly. ::yes::

Originally posted by MzEeyore
I know that neither of us is really crazy about Epcot so we probably won't be visting that park.
You are going during a very magical time at WDW. I suggest you go to EPCOT to look at all the different countries decorated for the holidays. I would suggest looking on the DIS or at other sites and read about the Candlelight Processional. The Candlelight Processional at EPCOT, the Osborne Lights at MGM and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party are not to be missed for my DW and I. These are all very magical things to us at WDW in Dec. I would also recommend you consider taking some time and going to the other resorts and look at thier decorations. Just have a great and magical trip.

I've traveled to DW alone, with small family, extended family and this July just with my 7yo dd. I'm pretty comfortable with the area so the only concern I have is us getting tired of each other. We will definitely have naps, even if it means SHE naps and I rejuvenate in the tub.

We are staying off site for a week in a large condo (thought the space would be a mind saver for both of us - including our own TVs if need be) then moving to POFQ for 3 nights. We've stayed in several places before but the pool appealed to my daughter. I liked the idea of it being a small resort and not having to tire out her little legs when going to the food court in the morning for coffee. I've never stayed at POFQ and it's my goal to hit all of the resorts!

We have stayed at WL during the holidays and enjoyed it but we all prefer the GF for its Victorian splendor. (my dd's name is Victoria Rose - I love dressing her up and taking photos of her in the GF lobby). We also stayed at the Poly concierge and LOVED it. I would go with the Poly - it seems to fit a kid's idea of 'vacation' better I think.

We are doing the dolphin swim for her birthday in July (don't tell her it's a secret ... I keep telling her it's too expensive :teeth: )
I'm also letting her choose a character meal - she is saying Chef Mickey's but we've never done the GF character dinner and she is asking questions about it. Disney is great about birthdays! Remember to stop at guest services in EACH park and get a birthday pin! Your daughter will receive special attention!

I'm going to try and go it at her pace. If you make any PS make sure you let them know it's your daughter's birthday. I took my mother for a biggie birthday and she LOVED how people in the parades wished her a happy birthday! She also stood in the center of the FOTLK arena and the crowd sang to her!

Don't count out Epcot during the holidays! If you time it right you might be able to sneak some seats for the Candlelight Processional, a truly moving experience. The tree light ceremony at Epcot is pretty nice too. You can do DW during the holiday season without ever repeating doing what you did during the summer vacation!

Enjoy!

:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter