1st time California Visit - which hotel in San Diego or Newport?

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
I need help! we are on an adventures by Disney tour and I am tagging on 2 nights at the end of the trip. I have 70k Marriott points and booked the Marriott Spa at Newport Beach. Looked decent enough. Well now we decided to go to the zoo and I can switch my departure airport from SNA to San Diego if I chose.

I need to stay Marriott for the free lodging. Any advice on where to stay Marriott in san diego that is nice and gives me good promiximity to the zoo and anything else ? OR should I just stay put in my current hotel and do the zoo drive back and forth and fly home from SNA?

Just so clueless on this side of the country.....THANKS!!!

The Marriot at 333 west harbor drive in San Diego is only 2.9 miles from the san diego zoo.

If you can get a hotel in San Diego and switch your flight that would be my vote. There are multiple Marriott properties in the San Diego area. We never stayed at the one on Harbor but have stayed at the Hyatt and Hilton on either side. Great location near the Gaslamp and Seaport Village. A short ride to the zoo & the airport . Since it just the 2 of us we never used a rental in town but relied on taxis or using a hop on/off trolley tour.

Definitely switch to San Diego. If you stay at the Marriott on Harbor you will be walking distance to many areas like the Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village, and the Embarcadero. You will also be across the street from the trolley. You can take the trolley to Old Town for some delicious mexican food. Also across the street is Kansas City Barbeque where they filmed a few scenes from Top Gun.

There is another Marriott on K Street with one of my favorite bars. Definitely visit Altitude if you stay there; it's a rooftop bar with amazing views.

Switch to a Marriott in San Diego and either choose the Marriott Marquis or the Marriott Coronado. Coronado would be my first pick. The Marriott in Newport is 90 minutes to two hours away depending on traffic (maybe more).

Old Town has the worst Mexican food in San Diego, locals seldom go there for Mexican food unless they are with out of town guests who INSIST on going. KC BBQ is another place locals avoid and the crowd is 90% tourists who don't know any better.

Switch to a Marriott in San Diego and either choose the Marriott Marquis or the Marriott Coronado. Coronado would be my first pick. The Marriott in Newport is 90 minutes to two hours away depending on traffic (maybe more).

Old Town has the worst Mexican food in San Diego, locals seldom go there for Mexican food unless they are with out of town guests who INSIST on going. KC BBQ is another place locals avoid and the crowd is 90% tourists who don't know any better.

Looks like we have a difference in opinion here :) I am a San Diego native, and personally love Old Town. Is it my favorite Mexican food in San Diego? No, but it's a lot of fun and still good. I've definitely had a lot worse than Old Town. If anything, it's a cool place to see as a historical landmark, especially for someone who's never been to California. It is the "birthplace of California." I've never eaten at KC BBQ, but was just pointing out she would be across the street from a spot used in a movie.

Looks like we have a difference in opinion here :) I am a San Diego native, and personally love Old Town. Is it my favorite Mexican food in San Diego? No, but it's a lot of fun and still good. I've definitely had a lot worse than Old Town. If anything, it's a cool place to see as a historical landmark, especially for someone who's never been to California. It is the "birthplace of California." I've never eaten at KC BBQ, but was just pointing out she would be across the street from a spot used in a movie.

Old Town is a cool historical landmark..... a fun place to go..... a great place to eat (if you want sushi).

Your first post was "delicious Mexican food", now it is "well there is worse" and "not my favorite"

I'd rather send tourists to Old Town for fun and sightseeing and then to a great Mexican restaurant some place else so they know how good Mexican can be, not be left with the impression that OT has delicious Mexican food. I'd love to hear what your favorite Mexican food is in San Diego.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter