1st time at Fort Wilderness Campground

tripleb

Mouseketeer
Since this was our first camping trip to the Fort, I thought I would let folks know how things went and what to expect for the other newbies.

Fort Wilderness camping is more than just camping, it is the true definition of glamping. We were in a 31’ FW and were located in the 1900 loop (Full Hook-Up) on site 1901. Most of the sites in this loop are somewhat difficult to back into, but doable. I was fortunate enough to have an across the street neighbor on site when we pulled in and he moved his truck to give me a little more maneuvering room. I could have gotten in the site without him moving but it made it somewhat easier.

Our full hook-up site included cable TV connection, WI-FI (although somewhat slow), 50/30/20 amp. connections, water, sewer connection along with a level concrete pad and picnic table. There was enough room on the back side of the site for a tent (probably about a 10’x10’ tent). We were only 2 sites away from the bathroom and about a 3-minute walk to the internal bus stop. Wherever your sight is, you’re never more than 2 minutes from a bathroom.

Speaking of bus stops … there are internal busses that run about every 10-15 minutes. The internal busses are used to get to Pioneer Hall, Settlement camp store, Meadows camp store and pool area, the boat landing, and the Outpost. The Outpost is where you have to go to switch busses in order to get to the parks. You can also take a boat to MK or to the transportation center. If you happen to have a golf cart or bicycles, both of the above destinations are short rides. Disney provides plenty of parking for golf carts and bicycles at both locations.

The Settlement camp store and the Meadows camp store carry most of the basic staples needed for camping along with the usual Disney trinkets and clothing. The Outpost provides for reservation services and a place to pick up things that you may have purchased within the other parks.

The experience of camping at Fort Wilderness only adds to the total “magical” experience of Disneyworld. If you are considering a camping trip and a Disneyworld visit, don’t miss the opportunity to experience the best of both worlds.

Thanks tribleb - as another upcoming first-timer, little 'snip-its' like this add to the excitement. 14 days (almost to the minute) until I hit the road, 16.5 until check-in!

So glad you had a good trip! If there's anything you know now that you wish you'd known then - I'm all ears!

So glad you had a good trip! If there's anything you know now that you wish you'd known then - I'm all ears!

mickeyfan0805, the wife and I have been to Disneyworld so many times that I can probably walk to any attraction blind folded :-) Knowing what I know now, I wish we would have had another couple of days just to spend at the Fort. Next time we go, I will make sure we have about 3 days just to explore the Fort and take in all the sites there.

We were only there 6 full days and 1 of those days was a rain day, 4 other days were Park days, with 1 day at DS.

We spend most of our 10 -12 day stays at the Fort. We will decide to go to a water park (non-Disney) @ 10 but are back to the Fort by 2. We have annual passes and only go 2 -3 times per trip. The only real time we are away from the Fort is when we go Cocoa Beach for the day. Other than that it is the Fort or Disney Springs. We have not been to any theme parks in the last 3 trips. We love just hanging around the Fort.

Knowing what I know now, I wish we would have had another couple of days just to spend at the Fort.
Glad you enjoyed the Fort. It really is a special place. The more time you get to spend there, the more the little things that make it special start to sink in. One of the mistakes many people do is not scheduling "Fort Days", time to take in and enjoy everything the Fort has to offer. We are park Ninjas, but always find some time to kick back and relax. Our last trip, a few weeks ago, right after the hurricane, we didn't get to spend the whole trip at the Fort and it felt like we got jipped even though we were in a great 2BR condo at OKW. As nice as OKW is, it isn't the Fort.

j

Glad you enjoyed the Fort. It really is a special place. The more time you get to spend there, the more the little things that make it special start to sink in. One of the mistakes many people do is not scheduling "Fort Days", time to take in and enjoy everything the Fort has to offer. We are park Ninjas, but always find some time to kick back and relax. Our last trip, a few weeks ago, right after the hurricane, we didn't get to spend the whole trip at the Fort and it felt like we got jipped even though we were in a great 2BR condo at OKW. As nice as OKW is, it isn't the Fort.

j

you were feeling jipped because your Villa did not have a sweet electric skillet like my tiny room at All Star Sports.

mickeyfan0805, the wife and I have been to Disneyworld so many times that I can probably walk to any attraction blind folded :-) Knowing what I know now, I wish we would have had another couple of days just to spend at the Fort. Next time we go, I will make sure we have about 3 days just to explore the Fort and take in all the sites there.

We were only there 6 full days and 1 of those days was a rain day, 4 other days were Park days, with 1 day at DS.

Thanks. We are in the same boat. DVC members who have been nearly 15 times in the last 10 years. We will still do a lot of park time because of the kids, but we have a lot of time available for the Fort because we want to explore! Can't wait.

you were feeling jipped because your Villa did not have a sweet electric skillet like my tiny room at All Star Sports.
What do you mean? We had a skillet. It's the white thing on the left with the towels hanging on it. The one under the microwave.:-)

20170916_134106sm.jpg

I've actually been hesitant to post pics of the condo. It really was NICE. I almost feel funny complaining about it not being the Fort, but it just didn't have the same vibe.

j

Here's a few pics of our camping adventure and visit to Disneyworld:
What do you mean? We had a skillet. It's the white thing on the left with the towels hanging on it. The one under the microwave.:-)

View attachment 275759

I've actually been hesitant to post pics of the condo. It really was NICE. I almost feel funny complaining about it not being the Fort, but it just didn't have the same vibe.

j

I don't know how you managed Teamubr ... I'll bet it was tough :crazy2:

Here's a few pics of our camping adventure and visit to Disneyworld:

I don't know how you managed Teamubr ... I'll bet it was tough :crazy2:

Teamubr took one for the team, trip. It's almost like he was on SURVIVOR.

I bet he only had a 1,500 watt hairdryer included in the bath next to his full kitchen and AC controlled 1600 sq ft interior. Given Jim's long hair locks that I've seen, he needs a full 10,000 watts to curl, straighten, and/or dry his braids.

Donna in the picture looks like she's ready to unplug the skillet and plug in the aforementioned hair dryer.

Jim must have suffered terribly during his DVC stay. :sad1:

Bama Ed

I'm with Teamubr......our post-Irma accommodations were at Art of Animation and we had a great time, but going to Trail's End for breakfast on our checkout day made us all sad that we didn't get our time at the Fort. Thankfully my husband and I have the week after Thanksgiving booked and we're definitely planning more Fort time than park time.

Another Fort Lover here!

We were moved from our 1500 tent loop a couple trips back for three nights in a two bedroom villa. While it was luxurious, it wasn't the Fort. Our family has a connection to the Fort. My heart is happy when at the Fort....even when day dreaming about the Fort ;) We drive 16 hours one way and still spend most of our time doing things around Fort Wilderness than in the parks. We love to rope drop, but by lunch time all of us are ready to get back to "home". The world....the parks....are just to "peopley" for us and the Fort is just our kind of people ;)

Fort Wilderness only adds to the total “magical” experience of Disneyworld. If you are considering a camping trip and a Disneyworld visit, don’t miss the opportunity to experience the best of both worlds.

1) DUH !!!!
2) We keep saying that The Fort is the best resort at WDW, and you seem to agree.
3) Many guests, and a lot of us CM's, like The Fort as our resort of first choice.
4) Glad you enjoyed your stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!