1st DCL cruise for a couple

MouseGirl VA

If you keep on believing, the Dream that you Wish
Hubby and I will be taking our first Disney cruise in October for 7 nights. We don't have kids. Is this going to be too 'kid intense' for us when we're not in the adult only areas?

We went on a 4 night for our honeymoon last Oct and we thought it was perfect! I assume that Oct is "off season" so naturally there are less kids there, but at no point did I think "my god, we are surrounded by muchkins!!!" We had late dinner seating, and we sat with all honeymooners and I remember seeing only 2 children at a table somewhat near us. You'll see kids at the shows and on shore excursions, but I never found it to be "kid intense". I loved it! They crack me up!! Stay away from the Goofy and Mickey pool, though....it is swarming with kids!

Ultimately, Disney and kids go hand in hand. You'll see them there, for sure. But as many have said here, Disney does a great job of pleasing everyone! We are going again next October for a 7 night Eastern because we loved the 4 night so much!!

You'll have a wonderful time!

Hi MouseGirl VA.

We don't have kids.

Would you like to borrow mine?

. Is this going to be too 'kid intense' for us

Not really, but why take a chance - my son and I can accompnay you at no cost to us...

You'll have a truly Magical time!

My DW and I were on a June 2002 Western (Magic-al) Cruise, it was awesome.... we left the children at home. We had cruised as a family the year before (Eastern) and had such a great time with Disney that we had to go back by ourselves.

The ships, IMO, provide a great balance of opportunities for adults to be adults and for kids to be kids.... mainly in separate distinct areas. We were never overwhelmed with children anywhere on board. We enjoyed interacting with a few children at our table while dining.

As adults, we took advantage of a few things.... adult (evening) shows, Dueling Pianos, Sessions - Piano Bar, Rockin' Bar-D, the couples massage in the spa and even the Surial Mud Bath (the previous cruise). There are plenty of opportunities to pamper yourself or your spouse while onboard. We also hung out at the pool at Signals Bar and got to know Sharon very well... she's an excellent CM that works there from time to time. We became regulars... trust me.

At Castaway Cay, we enjoyed the secluded adult's only beach (Serenity Beach) with friends and had a great lunch there without all the crowds from the family beach area.

The adult (couples) opportunities await... I would highly recommend Disney and can't wait to go again ... with or without our children. We are crusing again next summer ('04) on the Western with our family (this time).

Enjoy and good luck!!

Howard

did some one bring kids on the cruise......
actually we have been on 5 kidless cruises we dont have them
yet.... and i can say that we have not had a problem
with the kid thing ... it is set in such away that they r at one end and u the other..... kid intense i dont think so
we had late dining and seems that alot of kid do the early...
but im sure there is some one out there that had early dining and found it not to be a problem...... peter

DH and I have taken two Disney Magic cruises (our children are grown and on their own) and thoroughly enjoyed them. We had early seating both times. The first time we were with a family of 5 and although the youngest child (6) was a bit bothersome a couple of times, it wasn't enough of a bother to try to change our table. The second cruise we were seated at a table for four, with another couple, and we enjoyed that more. There were 900 children on our first cruise, and probably about the same on the second although I don't know for sure. I'm not one who "enjoys" other people's children much, but they were never a bother. So many adult areas to enjoy. :) Even at the shows when there were lots of kids it was never a problem. Go and enjoy!! :D
We have our third Disney cruise (Wonder this time, with my parents) planned too.

My DH and I went on the 4-day Wonder last October and had a blast. The kids were not too intense and when we did notice them, it was mostly during charachter times and shows...but most were pretty well behaved and actually pretty darn cute. :)

We enjoyed it so much that we're going on the 7-night Eastern in October this year - sailing the 18th. We're bringing along another couple who are leaving their son at home so that they can have the "honeymoon" they didn't get when they were married.

Disney does a great job providing plenty of adult only activities and as long as you don't let things bother you, you'll never even notice. :)

Have fun...if you're sailing the sames dates, maybe we'll get to meet.

We did a 7-day for our honeymoon in Dec 2001 and LOVED it. We loved it so much we went back for a 4-day this past January and have another 7-day planned for next May.

What's great about Disney for adults is that they have "adult only" enforced areas. The spa is great, restaurants are fun and romantic and the family atmosphere makes it very special. We were concerned with going on a cruise where there were tons of adults on a drinking fest....we like to have a few drinks, but didn't want it to be too wild and party-heavy. Disney is perfect!

Couple of suggestions:
If you plan on visiting the adult pool, clubs and spa often, stay forward on the ship. Very convenient location for these areas. Also, do a couple spa treatment whether it be the surial or couples cabana massage. Also, take a later dinner seating and ask to be seated with other honeymoon couples or adults only. This will really enhance your dining experience. Long story short, on our honeymoon we didn't know we could make requests and were seated with three other families with teenagers (not too romantic).

Have fun! And if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Although it's a year old (Has it really been a year since our Magic cruise?!!) and kind of long, here's a link to my trip report from our April 2002 Eastern cruise. DH and I have no kids either, so there are probably some insights there that may help you.

Link

We had a BLAST and I bet you will too!

Don't forget brunch at Palo, a really fun and infomative wine tasting, and also going to the movies whenever you want.

Even though we took our (then) 12 year old, we never saw him. I "forced" him to eat with us, then he took off. So basically it was an "adult only" cruise for us too! We had a great time and I only really noticed kids around in the elevators, the movie theatre, and (unfortunately) there were a couple in the "Adult only-Art of entertaining series. I say unfortunately, because they really acted up and their parents did nothing. Otherwise, I wouldn't have cared. Disney is the only cruiseline I have been on where you can actually get away from the kids.:) (yours or someone elses)

Lisa

We sailed on the Magic on 1/25th and had a fantastic cruise. We sailed to celebrate our 60th birthdays. A few weeks before sailing, I started to have second thoughts, what were two adults, who are not Disney crazy, doing going on a Disney cruise. This was cruise #11 for us and we will sail Disney again.

If you are interested, I wrote a review of our cruse. It is posted at: http://www.seacruisereviews.com/byrecentreview.asp?cruiseid=971

sue

Hubby and I are childless and have sailed on Disney 30 times (#31 commences in exactly one week). As long as you have realistic expectations, you can have an excellent adult experience on Disney.
Yes, there will be lots of kids around, but Disney keeps them well occupied. Personaly, we get a kick out of watching them enjoy the shows, meet the characters, etc. It gives us a fresh perspective every time.
The great thing is that you can escape to the adult areas whenever you want. We have sailed on RCCL four times, and that is something we sorely missed. On Voyager, the kids were even running amok in the spa and workout room! On the Wonder, enforcement is diligent so you will have no trouble finding peace and quiet.
But you might find that enjoy being in the family areas too. Sometimes I don't even go to the adult beach...I just set up "base camp" on the far end of the family beach so I can stoll a short distance and be in the thick of things.
Check out the trip reports on my website more more sordid details.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Thanks all for the info. I feel so much better now :D

We're setting sail on Oct 18th and now I'm really excited.

while i do have kids (they were 15 and 18 when we were on the cruise last summer) i really can't stand being around other people's kids.....
and i can tell you that i never ever ever felt overwhelmed by kids...in fact, i didn't even notice them around all that much....
we were in the second seating with the rotation that has very few kids.....we spent our time in the adult areas (my daugther was with us, the 15 year old was off with the teens)...
the only time i saw kids was at the evening show....but even then, i didn't notice that many of them...i think because we went to the early show because we were in the late seating...
all in all i barely noticed kids on the ship...which is odd considering that there were 1500 on board for our summer cruise...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter