181 Days Out is Not Too Soon to Start Packing Is It?

zonkvadr

Mouseketeer
Shhh, don’t tell the kids, but I have booked our next Disney Cruise. We are scheduled to sail from NYC to Canada in October on the Magic. I am not keeping this great secret in anticipation of the wonderful surprise it will be for my teen-aged boys, but rather because my obsessive planning tends to…

...DRIVE THEM SO CRAZY THAT THEY HAVE TOLD ME THEY NEVER WANT TO GO ON A DISNEY VACATION AGAIN!

So, I am keeping my secret for a few more months, but, since my family consists only of my mom, the boys and me, it doesn’t really leave me anyone to share my obsession with. Mom, to her credit, will politely listen; even open up the spreadsheets and lists that I send her, but I don’t want to wear her out either, because I finally understand that this part is only fun for me and works to ruin the actual event for them!

I know they will enjoy the trip once we are there. My boys are both into nature and photography, so, from starting out in NYC, to heading north to Canada in the fall, I am confident they will love the trip itself, they might just wish obsessive mom could have stayed home!

So where to turn to vent the crazy? Well, what about right her?; with a group of people, many of whom I know will understand, sympathize and maybe even respond with something more than “that’s nice, dear, you do what you think is best and I am sure we will all enjoy it”?

I decided to post this and maybe even continue it as a blog when I found myself rummaging my room the other night for pen and paper so I could create a chart for the days of the cruise and what clothing I might want to bring. At the same time, I asked Alexa (my other confidant to the crazy) to start a “packing list” so I don’t forget vital things like Tide Pods, our Fish Extender pouches and the door magnet I bought for our first cruise, but have forgotten to bring on the next three! Help guys, what other vital items do I need to have listed 181 days out??

Well, back to my packing plans. Maybe next time I will introduce you to my multi-page spreadsheet!

Hello fellow planner! Yes, this is the place for you! I too drive my family crazy talking on and on about our upcoming August Northern European cruise...that we booked over 400 days in advance. At least now we're 120 days away, PIF for our cruise, so there is 'almost' a reason for me to talk about it...and my family is willing to put up with my obsession more now...

We mostly do Disney World trips, and now a cruise every 2 years. After our last Disney World trip in October, I put all our 'Disney' stuff into a big shopping bag...it included stuff for our cruise...so not as helpful as it sounds as we're going to Disney next week and I had to empty that big bag to find the stuff that was for Disney World vs. the cruise, lol. As our cruise is in Europe...my bag now has 2 travel pillows for my kids for the flight...maybe they'll get a little sleep and not be monsters when we land, and passport holders...as well as some 'Disney Cruise' shirts that we already own. Our family has 4 sets of 'matching' shirts--so those are going to Disney World with us and 3 of those sets will then go right back into the bag to be packed for the cruise. DH has even added stuff to the bag--adapters, chargers, etc. Stuff he knows we'll need.

How about researching the ports/excursions you plan to visit/take and note the highlights. Just do one each week to drag it out, but also so you cover all the bases. More door decorations are also a possibility. I change ours out daily, so I need a lot of material (Disney, on the internet, has a ton to work with).
Maybe, if your guys are into photography, you could scope out, via internet, some cool shots of places you will visit so that you know where to stand in advance for memorable photos of your own. Good luck!

I have been tweaking/updating our trip itinerary every few days, since we first booked almost 1 year out. We're only 227 days away. =)

Awesome! I think that's going to be a great cruise! My DH vetoed, saying he wasn't going to Quebec in the fall, but hey, I will live vicariously through your excitement. :D

One thing it's not too early to do is figure out your travel to and from the cruise. Start watching prices, for sure and check out that other thread on the Canada cruise:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...-and-baie-comeau-cruise-ports-thread.3603793/

I also have a storage container that I keep things in that I only take on our cruises, such as door decors. As soon as we got back from our last cruise I put the items in the container so I know where they are when it's time to pack for our next cruise. Right now we have 276 days until our next cruise and I have a notebook that I've already started lists in for our next cruise. I get the same response from my dh and dd as you do from your family when I start talking about the cruise.

How about researching the ports/excursions you plan to visit/take and note the highlights. Just do one each week to drag it out, but also so you cover all the bases. More door decorations are also a possibility. I change ours out daily, so I need a lot of material (Disney, on the internet, has a ton to work with).
Maybe, if your guys are into photography, you could scope out, via internet, some cool shots of places you will visit so that you know where to stand in advance for memorable photos of your own. Good luck!

Spoiler alert: Already have a list of possible excursions listed on my spreadsheet!

Hello fellow planner! Yes, this is the place for you! I too drive my family crazy talking on and on about our upcoming August Northern European cruise...that we booked over 400 days in advance. At least now we're 120 days away, PIF for our cruise, so there is 'almost' a reason for me to talk about it...and my family is willing to put up with my obsession more now...

We mostly do Disney World trips, and now a cruise every 2 years. After our last Disney World trip in October, I put all our 'Disney' stuff into a big shopping bag...it included stuff for our cruise...so not as helpful as it sounds as we're going to Disney next week and I had to empty that big bag to find the stuff that was for Disney World vs. the cruise, lol. As our cruise is in Europe...my bag now has 2 travel pillows for my kids for the flight...maybe they'll get a little sleep and not be monsters when we land, and passport holders...as well as some 'Disney Cruise' shirts that we already own. Our family has 4 sets of 'matching' shirts--so those are going to Disney World with us and 3 of those sets will then go right back into the bag to be packed for the cruise. DH has even added stuff to the bag--adapters, chargers, etc. Stuff he knows we'll need.

We are on the same trip! You’ve given me tons of great advice and I’m thrilled that we are only four months out!!

Shhh, don’t tell the kids, but I have booked our next Disney Cruise. We are scheduled to sail from NYC to Canada in October on the Magic. I am not keeping this great secret in anticipation of the wonderful surprise it will be for my teen-aged boys, but rather because my obsessive planning tends to…

...DRIVE THEM SO CRAZY THAT THEY HAVE TOLD ME THEY NEVER WANT TO GO ON A DISNEY VACATION AGAIN!

So, I am keeping my secret for a few more months, but, since my family consists only of my mom, the boys and me, it doesn’t really leave me anyone to share my obsession with. Mom, to her credit, will politely listen; even open up the spreadsheets and lists that I send her, but I don’t want to wear her out either, because I finally understand that this part is only fun for me and works to ruin the actual event for them!

I know they will enjoy the trip once we are there. My boys are both into nature and photography, so, from starting out in NYC, to heading north to Canada in the fall, I am confident they will love the trip itself, they might just wish obsessive mom could have stayed home!

So where to turn to vent the crazy? Well, what about right her?; with a group of people, many of whom I know will understand, sympathize and maybe even respond with something more than “that’s nice, dear, you do what you think is best and I am sure we will all enjoy it”?

I decided to post this and maybe even continue it as a blog when I found myself rummaging my room the other night for pen and paper so I could create a chart for the days of the cruise and what clothing I might want to bring. At the same time, I asked Alexa (my other confidant to the crazy) to start a “packing list” so I don’t forget vital things like Tide Pods, our Fish Extender pouches and the door magnet I bought for our first cruise, but have forgotten to bring on the next three! Help guys, what other vital items do I need to have listed 181 days out??

Well, back to my packing plans. Maybe next time I will introduce you to my multi-page spreadsheet!

I was just talking about packing today! We are about 120 days out. I’ve picked a color scheme for our clothes, I’ve researched temps and started buying “essentials” (tiaras for little girls are essential!) for the trip. My binder for my husband is at over 65 pages right now and counting. I LOVE planning in advance!!

You're among friends. I *may* have already booked a few excursions for our cruise....more than a year out. I only have one port left because I want to book that one through DCL since it's a helicopter tour. I'm running out of things to plan, help!

You're among friends. I *may* have already booked a few excursions for our cruise....more than a year out. I only have one port left because I want to book that one through DCL since it's a helicopter tour. I'm running out of things to plan, help!
Alaska, right? Can I ask where you booked this far out? Everyone I’ve talked to told me no bookings for 2019 until September. Another crazy planner here.

I’ve booked the same cruise! I’ve been keeping busy making door decorations. This week I’m going to make us all matching Mickey Cruise ears. We’re staying in NYC a few days before and driving from Quebec to Boston to fly home so I’ve been ordering bronchures from places we plan to visit.

Not too soon to start a list but too soon to start packing unless you have; vacation only clothes. Or unless you're okay with you and your children walking around in the same clothes until your cruise begins. :tongue:

Top of our list: In your carry-on: PASSPORTS or birth certificates, boarding papers all filled out, PRESCRIPTIONS, tickets for flights, entertainment while on the flights; iPad has my books, movies, games, etc., snacks (that will get past airport security). Too be continued, need to help with dinner!

Happy planing pixiedust:

It's never to early to plan, or to start a packing list. I've been planning since we booked our upcoming cruise (about a year out from the sail date) and there is still more to do. I hope you have a great time with the trip and figuring out what you want to see in those ports. That cruise looks amazing. (BTW there is a great trip report here on the DIS - it's not finished yet, but it's a NY to Canada cruise on the Magic).

When we cruised to Alaska on Disney our TA told us that we should be ready to book on opening day because those cruises sell out fast.
We booked the cruise opening day (and I’ve changed our rooms no less than 4 times since). I’d like to book excursions ASAP (not via DCL). I had my excursions picked out before I booked the cruise!

I was talking to a woman in Amsterdam who told me I held their record for asking for a booking the earliest. I asked over a year in advance. Also booked a tour in St Petersburg over a year in advance. I had one group in Estonia turn me down because I was asking too early. I love planning in advance!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter