1500 Loop versus 2000 Loop for a tent camper

brad813

DIS Veteran
I am going to be tent camping, so will only need a partial hookup site. Between the 1500 Loop or the 2000 Loop, is there a better one to request? Also, are there any significant differences, outside of location, I should be concerned with?

It's more a matter of personal preference and if you are traveling with children. 1500 loop is closest to the activity, i.e.The Meadows Trading Post, big pool, Chip and Dale activities. But this also means much more joyful noise. I also understand they have changed the coquina sand to gravel pads for the tent pitching area based upon previous posts. The 2000 loop is MUCH quieter during the week but some sites do back up to the group camping area which may be used on the weekends, still has coquina pads for tents, closest to the "quiet" pool, easy access to the quicker, shorter "purple" bus route between the Outpost and the Settlement. So basically 1500 for a rip roaring good time, 2000 for a better chance at that quiet, peaceful camping experience. Either way nothing beats camping at The Fort!

Actually we have found the opposite true. 1500 is quieter than 2000. I'm not saying you can hear a pin drop, but comparatively.

Actually we have found the opposite true. 1500 is quieter than 2000. I'm not saying you can hear a pin drop, but comparatively.

Ditto this, Brad.

1500 is more in demand because of its location and nearness to the Pool, campfire, and Trading Post. It generally has smaller campsites than 2000 but in a tent that is not as much an issue.

During the tent camping popular season (October to about May) 1500 stays full and the folks who come in just for a weekend mostly fill up 2000. The weekend-only folks tend to be families and kids run around the loops and play. The larger sites tend to lend themselves to multiple families staying on the same campsite with more tents and (at least) two cars parked there as well. And the weekend folks tend to stay up late and have more "fun" after bedtime. 2000 clears out pretty much during the weekdays as Breezy says (unless it's peak times like spring break or Christmas time).

I have a popup camper and used to try to use the Tent sites due to their lower cost. Just due to the numbers (1500 has only 21 sites and 2000 nearly 70) the odds were you'd be put in 2000 even with a 1500 request (because lots of folks request 1500 but few do 2000). But I've been in 2000 twice and bike/walk it often and that's when I decided to stay in the other Fort campsite levels.

I would stay in 1500 every trip if I could be assured of getting a site in it. But I can't be assured. So I don't book Tent sites often.

Getting a 1500 site is possible if you A) request it in advance, B) arrive early in the day and are willing to wait for the site to be ready (wait versus accepting a site in 2000 that's already available), and C) check in on a day other than Friday or Saturday. These 3 things in any mix can improve your chances if you want 1500.

My favorite sites (in order) that I ask for in 1500 are as follows: 1511, (1510), 1513, 1514, then any of the "Out"(er) sites 1514-1520.

1500-1600 Loop Google Earth.jpg

1511 is spacious and backs up to the canal (quiet back on the canal). 1510 is in parenthesis because it WOULD be MY second choice but it has two trees in the corners of the gravel/coquina tent pad and I can't back the trailer between them but you could set up a tent. Then any of the sites in 1500 that border the two canals are preferable IMO. There are no canals near 2000 (although there is a storm ditch along the right side of the entrance to the loop).

That's my two cents.

Bama Ed

PS - here is a thread I did a while back that helps with 1500. Because the sites are a little smaller than 2000, people would often ask if their tent would fit on the 1500 sites. It has a picture of 1510.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-new-project-the-1500-loop-will-my-tent-fit.2901476/

Last edited:

To expand, it will just be me in late August/early September, arrival between Tuesday and Thursday. Doing F&W and MNSSHP. Minimum 8 night stay but as many as 10. I don't mind a little bit of a walk, as I am used to it(don't drive so I walk everywhere for the most part anyway).

The 1500 is perfectly located. I’ve stayed in 2000 many times and only once in 1500 and the descriptions are pretty accurate. I do enjoy the larger sites in 2000 and, of course, it all depends on your neighbors. You can have loud neighbors in 1500 just as easily.

@bama_ed My favorite loops are the 1600-1900 but I find that if you don’t have a bathroom in your camper, some of the sites are pretty far from the comfort stations (especially for little kids or ummm, older people :) ).

@bama_ed My favorite loops are the 1600-1900 but I find that if you don’t have a bathroom in your camper, some of the sites are pretty far from the comfort stations (especially for little kids or ummm, older people :) ).

I can relate to BOTH aspects of your reply, amcc. :rolleyes:

To expand, it will just be me in late August/early September, arrival between Tuesday and Thursday. Doing F&W and MNSSHP. Minimum 8 night stay but as many as 10. I don't mind a little bit of a walk, as I am used to it(don't drive so I walk everywhere for the most part anyway).

Your time frame can be humid/rainy and still very warm for Florida, Brad. Please plan to be as cool as possible (a battery powered folding fan in your luggage for your tent would be a suggestion-that is if the window AC won't fit in carry-on).

Bama Ed

PS - I don't know where you live 24/7/365 or how much experience you have camping in hot, muggy, humid, wet conditions all day (and all night long), but there is a reason why the Fort Wilderness camping rates during the summer months (which includes late August into early September) are the lowest of the entire year. It's supply-and-demand in action. And it's not only because of the school calendar.... Just sayin'. :rolleyes1

Last edited:
Your time frame can be humid/rainy and still very warm for Florida, Brad. Please plan to be as cool as possible (a battery powered folding fan in your luggage for your tent would be a suggestion-that is if the window AC won't fit in carry-on).

Bama Ed

PS - I don't know where you live 24/7/365 or how much experience you have camping in hot, muggy, humid, wet conditions all day (and all night long), but there is a reason why the Fort Wilderness camping rates during the summer months (which includes late August into early September) are the lowest of the entire year. It's supply-and-demand in action. And it's not only because of the school calendar.... Just sayin'. :rolleyes1

I live in Virginia, and honestly, have no trouble sleeping in hot weather(South America got me used to that, though I wasn't camping. Hotel wouldn't let me keep air on). I do have a couple small battery operated fans I am shipping ahead(renting a tent from a third party supplier) because I am flying. My timing had to be chosen the way it was for other reasons than just price. I tend to be very adaptable.

The 1500 is perfectly located. I’ve stayed in 2000 many times and only once in 1500 and the descriptions are pretty accurate. I do enjoy the larger sites in 2000 and, of course, it all depends on your neighbors. You can have loud neighbors in 1500 just as easily.

I am actually thinking about eventually investing in a little tear drop, but can't for quite some time.

Personally feel the 1500 loop has one the better locations in the entire campground. We would cut through there to go right to the main pool area and the bus stop is also right there.

Last edited:
I live in Virginia, and honestly, have no trouble sleeping in hot weather(South America got me used to that, though I wasn't camping. Hotel wouldn't let me keep air on). I do have a couple small battery operated fans I am shipping ahead(renting a tent from a third party supplier) because I am flying. My timing had to be chosen the way it was for other reasons than just price. I tend to be very adaptable.
How do I find these third party suppliers for rentals? craigslist?

thinking of doing the same thing for my 50th birthday.

How do I find these third party suppliers for rentals? craigslist?

thinking of doing the same thing for my 50th birthday.

There are a few companies that ship nationwide that I found by googling tent rentals and camping package rentals. Ultimately, though I decided to take my own tent with me because I didn't want to be on the hook for a tent worth a couple hundred blowing away due to hurricane. Still, these packages make sense for some. If you pm me, I will try and find the suppliers again and send you the links.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter