15-1-1 class

irishsharon

DIS Veteran
Ds just started middle school and his teachers think he should be moved from inclusion class to 15-1-1 classes. I just feel like every year they focus on state tests than teaching my child. I don't know if this is the right setting for my child. Mostly right now I feel like I have failed as a parent.

The most important thing I want you to hear is that YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG AS A PARENT!!!!!! I actually don't understand the connection between his placement and your success or failure as a parent. You're actively trying to work with his school to ensure he gets the best education possible. The actual placement is not a reflection on you in any way shape or form. Your participation in the educational process is what's important.

Has the school given you any explanation for why they believe that a 15-1-1 class is the least restrictive environment that is suitable for him? Why is this more appropriate than a regular classroom with a paraprofessional? You don't actually have to sign the IEP where they state this if you disagree. I wouldn't flat out disagree though without hearing their reasons. Maybe they really are trying to do what's best for him so that he can learn.

Why do you think that this is the wrong setting for him? What is it about that setting that is upsetting you?

Just because the standard inclusion classroom is 15-1-1, extra support can be pushed in if it is needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter