14 Month Old- Cochlear Question

CaptVMB

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, last month we found out that our son is profoundly deaf in both ears (we were told it was just his left ear from birth) and he has already been implanted with one cochlear implant. It has been a very busy month! He will have it activated next Monday!! We are so excited! He will get his next implant on April 7th and will be activated April 30........we leave for a week in WDW on May 1st just 4 days later.

We thought about canceling or postponing the trip but our audiologist says we can not stop living and that our family needs this break! (Our son also has an unknown brain disorder).

So, my question is, is it worth asking for a DAS? I definitely want him to have a seat up front in shows since his "ears" will still be turned down pretty low. I worry about him standing in line since his new "ears" will be so new. I think that if we keep him busy and moving he may be less likely to get irritable and pull them off every 2 seconds. His brain problem causes him to have hypotonia (low tone) so standing in line would not be an option. He would have to be held...I'm guessing there is no way they would let us take a stroller in line!

I am new to all this obviously and do not want anyone to think I am trying to use my child for anything!! The thought alone brings tears to my eyes... so strangers out there, advice please and thank you!

You wouldn't need a DAS for shows. Just let the CM at the front of the line know what accommodation you need.

For lines, you can request a stroller as a wheelchair tag and it will allow you take his stroller through the lines so he can stay seated and comfortable.

I'd personally try those two accommodations first and see how he does. If he doesn't tolerate it well you could always request a DAS at that point and explain the difficulty he's having in lines. A lot of the lines have interactive stuff going on which might keep him occupied enough, or even some kind of hand held game while he hangs out in the stroller. If his 'ears' are low, he may not even notice the line stuff. Sometimes the lines are less crazy, environment wise, for us than the hustle and bustle in the park itself.

Good luck with the implants being turned on! Some of the videos I've watched when children and adults hear something clearly for the first time are incredible!

I agree with aaarcher. Try stroller as a wheelchair and asking to be seated upfront and if you need additional supports ask later.

I am thrilled that your son has received the implants. I realize this is different, but, my DD needed glasses - really needed glasses. She was 6 months when she got them. I was so worried that she would just pull them off all the time. Well, they put them on her and she never bothered them from that point forward. I was so prepared with reinforcement ideas and had set my watch for 1 minute - praise and reinforcement every minute she kept the glasses on and increase the time from there. I so didn't need to worry. I hope once the implants are turned on you will have a similar experience.

Like the PP said, I would get a stroller as a wheelchair tag. This to me would also serve the purpose of "protecting" your son from too much stimulus while in line. Keep in mind, the world will be different and could be overwhelming to him once the implant is turned on. Have some "distracting" type things for your son in line. That can help with the overwhelming experience.

I would explain to the CM's at the show type attractions that you need to sit up front. My DD does this all the time.

If you find that your son isn't able to tolerate the lines, even with the stroller, I would then go to Guest Services to request a DAS card. This way, you are able to have experience and to know what your son's needs are and can be specific in requesting a DAS.

I hope that you have a great time!

Edited to add: you can have 3 FP+ attractions a day which will be helpful as well.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter