13 year old in Common Grounds...??

lsmac

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>Sly yet brilliant
Ok, I asked this before, but didn't get much response...hoping this time more parents with early teens will read this.:)
I have a son who just turned 13 and will be 13 1/2 when we sail in December (whoo hoo). My question is: do the 13 yo's feel out of place at Common Grounds? Is it better to have him go in with the 10-12 yo? He had a blast in the Lab last December and he was 12 1/2. He has friends of all ages, so I don't think he cares too much how old they are...just don't want him feeling to excluded by being the youngest.
Any thoughts and experiences on this are greatly appreciated!

Lisa

It really depends on your son's personality and maturity level. My 2nd son was 13 for our last cruise and he couldn't wait to go to Common Grounds w/ the teens. He fit in fine there. He also has an older brother but he would have wanted to go either way. He is very social and ready for the teens/older kids. The year prior he was 12 and not old enough for the teens so he just hung out w/ other 12 yr olds. He did not care to go to the lab for his age group. He thought it was too "young" for him at age 12. It is a personal preference.

My DD has been to CG when she was 13, 14, and now will be there at 15 this May. She has always felt very comfortable there...maybe because she is around older teens quite a bit with an older sister and older brother. She loves meeting new people there and then doing different things during the week.

MJ

MJ and tezb: Did it seem to your children that there was a fair amount of kids their age in CG? Or did it seem to be primarily older? I will mention that 2 of ds's best friends are 15 and 16 so it isn't like he doesn't get along with older kids...just don't want him feeling like the "baby" of the group. He certainly wouldn't LOOK like the baby though...5'5" and 140 lbs!:eek:

Thank you for the info!

Lisa

I think you should look at the new navigator which now lists MANY separate activities for 13-14 ONLY. Check the eastern which really lists a March navigator. You will find it at castawyclub.com It will list a meet and greet called411-break the ice. Last year there were mostly 15 and 16 year olds in Common Grounds and my daughter also ended up in the lab. I would not register at Common Grounds until after break the ice because you can only register for one place the lab or teen club. Hope this helps!

thedisneymom: Thank you, I will check Barb's site and then leave it up to ds after the 411.

Lisa

On all our DCL cruises except this past January, she felt there were plenty of 13-14 year olds.

It's funny, this January she felt there was really no one to hang out with and spent most her time with us. It was also a week where most kids were in school....we took her out that week.

MJ

We have always cruised in July and I think the summer months have more teens/kids on board. Both times my 2 boys were able to find at least 6-8 teens who were close in age give or take a year or two. This year my oldest will be 17 1/2 so we;ll see if he can still find teens close to his age. As long as they find at least two who are their age, they will be fine...that's all they need, especially the boys. They also just end up all hanging out in a lg group, at least that's what I saw at various times...unless they have a planned activity or dance for certain age ranges.

tezb: you are right, boys usually just need to hang with one or two. It worked out so perfect last year that I am just so sure this year will be a bust (the ole', perfection can't happen twice). Ds had a group of kids that he hung with in December and had a blast, in fact, he still has a picture of "the group" in his room and emails most of them. I guess with us cruising in a semi off season (early Dec) we take a chance on kids being onboard. Who say DCL doesn't have gambling? LOL:)

Thx again!
Lisa

We'll have a 13 y/o on the Western cruise this summer. I'm glad to see that they have some activities broken out by age groups 13-14 and 15-17. Looking at Barb's site, "way" back in January, they did not have age specific activities. The March Navigator on the Eastern Cruise listed the age groups. Does anyone have a March or April Nav. that show the western activities by age group? Is it similar to the Eastern?

I think you will find, with a few exceptions, that the 13-14 YO will hang out together; the 15-16 YO together; and the 17-18 YO together.

My DD (17) would probably not hang out with, for the most part, anyone younger than say, 16. The maturity levels are so definite and age plays quite a factor in their eyes!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter