12 yrs old at Disney Kids Club?

DisneyFirstTimer10

DIS Veteran
I would love to surprise my hubby with a meal at Victoria and Albert's for his birthday next Sept when we are in Disney but our two children will be with us.

Our daughter will be 9 and I plan on sending her to a Disney kids club.

Our son will be 12 at the time, and stays home alone for up to an hour currently. In a year I imagine he will be able to be left alone for longer periods of time. He's a responsible kid, I just don't know if I am comfortable leaving him alone in a hotel room by himself for three plus hours.

He won't be happy having to go to a kids club but- I'm leaning towards that as the best option.

Would you send a 12 yr old to a kids club instead of letting them stay in a hotel room alone for several hours?

Last edited:
I'd have no problem leaving a 12 year old in a hotel room, my oldest used to watch her 4 siblings at that age. If they get along, I'd leave both of them. I used to leave my kids alone in the cabin on cruises starting around 9/10, with strict instructions.

Depends on the maturity level. I would have no issue leaving my 12 yr old daughter in a Disney hotel room for a few hours, since she is responsible and mature.
With a smartphone and the hotel room phone, there should be no issues with communication (as long as your child answers or texts).

Also, you would have to trust that your child does not leave the hotel room, and knows what to do in the event something unusual occurs (someone trying to enter hotel room, etc). Also some safety basics (never answer the door, use the "do not disturb" sign, use hotel door safety latch, know how to call front desk, etc.)

If you want to eliminate your worries entirely though, the kids club is a less stressful choice.

What about getting an in-room sitter for both kids? Then your 12 YO might not feel embarrassed by this option. Sitter could play games and just hang out, giving you more peace of mind. I’m just a chicken but I would have had a hard time leaving our 12 YO in a hotel room back in the day. But then I was babysitting for a neighbor’s child when I was 12 lol!

I know at 12 I would have hated going to a kids club. At 12 I used to walk home from school and then would be home alone for several hours. I would probably just let him stay in the room alone. Rent a movie he might like and let him watch that.

For some perspective, our middle school choirs go on overnight trips, 4 students to a room, chaperones in separate rooms. So there are 12 year olds in hotel rooms all night without adults. The bands do, too.

I agree that it depends on the 12 year old, but for example, my 12 year old son id 5'9" and would absolutely not feel comfortable in a kids club. As long as he knows the rules and has a cell phone I am sure he will probably enjoy the alone time.

For some perspective, our middle school choirs go on overnight trips, 4 students to a room, chaperones in separate rooms. So there are 12 year olds in hotel rooms all night without adults. The bands do, too.

I was thinking the same thing, our 7th and 8th graders go on overnight trips and spend the night in the rooms on their own. They do have security specifically for the tour group though so it is a little different.

I think it really depends on the individual child. I wouldn't have an issue with my kids staying in the room at that age, as long as they had stuff to keep them busy in there. A bored kid will want to find something to do.

I have a 14 yo DS and a 11 yo DS. Even the 11 yo would feel too old for the kids club at this point. At 12 I would have trusted my oldest to stay in the room and potentially even watch the younger sibling depending on how they get along.
Order them dinner in and get them set up with a movie or two and I would think they would be good for the duration of your dinner.

Note: This is all assuming you are staying on Disney property and would be close by in case of emergency.

At 12....shoooooooot give the kid a cold one an the remote and he will be fine...

Honestly, my 13,11, and 10-year-olds pretty much wonder the resort, take buses around "the world" on their own. He should be fine in the room for a few hours.

Does he have a phone...you could use a tracking app to reassure yourself on where he is while you're out and will be able to call you if needed.

If that's not enough and you want to do a kids club, they do have computers and video games. Beach Club had a wall of computers and a classic pacman arcade console so its not all just catered to toddlers and elementary aged kids.

I have a 14 yo DS and a 11 yo DS. Even the 11 yo would feel too old for the kids club at this point. At 12 I would have trusted my oldest to stay in the room and potentially even watch the younger sibling depending on how they get along.
Order them dinner in and get them set up with a movie or two and I would think they would be good for the duration of your dinner.

Note: This is all assuming you are staying on Disney property and would be close by in case of emergency.

Last time we put our 11 year old twin girls in the Beach Club kids' club, as the oldest they ended up being helpers all night. They had fun, but don't want to go back. I liked your comment about the parents being on Disney property and nearby in case of emergency. I would feel safe leaving mine at our Disney resort if we weren't that far. I think this is actually a great first step.

No way would I send a 12 year old to a kids club. Not unless they are very very immature for their age. And even then I would lean towards having an in room sitter. But a typical 12 year old should be trusted to hang out in the room and even go grab some snacks if they want.

I left my then 10 yo old in the room at the Grand California while we took a 90 minute tour of the hotel because the child care center did not open until mid-way through the tour. We left one of our cell phones with him. I think the important thing is that you are 110% that your child will not open the door when someone knocks.

I would leave in room with these in mind -
- Do Not Disturb sign up there will be thoughts adults in room and no one will knock
- Make sure he has plenty of drinks/snacks with instructions to not leave the room
- Cell Phone
- If just a room you should be fine but if a suite where he might be farther from door, DO NOT latch the safety bar ...
I was babysitting siblings so folks could go out in NOLA and we had suite. I put the safety lock on and fell asleep ... sound asleep. No banging, yelling or phone calls woke me. Staff couldn't get in. Wasn't pretty.

I agree with everyone above. If he's only stayed alone for an hour at a time, practice at home for longer stretches to give him the confidence to do it in the hotel. If he's only ever used a cell phone, make sure he practices calling from the hotel phone.

I wouldn’t put a 12 yo in a kids club. I would be comfortable with him just staying in the room.

Another vote for not sending him to the kids club. I also probably would keep both kids together, and assuming the younger one is reasonably mature for their age, I might even let them enjoy some of the hotel amenities (movie night or whatever other activities they have going on)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter