12/3-12/7 trip report

Ladyandthepuppies

DIS Veteran
We are taking this trip to see the Christmas decor and get more into the "spirit" of the holidays together. I'm here with my DH, DD age 5, and DS age 2.5. We don't usually take time off from work prior to Christmas, so the hope is that we will get some quality family time and relax a little prior to the holiday swirl. Our last trip was during Hurricane Irma (when the parks closed) and it was a pretty stressful trip. They had been predicting a category 5 storm hitting Orlando and we tried to get out but got stuck- couldn't get a flight, and we didn't want to drive due to gas shortages, water bottle shortages, and gridlock. So, this is our redemption trip! Also, we are hoping for the "magic" to find us... my mother and grandmother passed away together unexpectedly a few years ago at this time of year, so this trip is meant to bring some cheer back to our holiday season.

12/3- our first day in Disney! We landed in Orlando at 1:30 and had no issues finding the Magical Express. The line to check in was maybe 5 minutes and we sat on the bus for about 20 mins before we started moving. We were on the highway by 2:15. It felt great to pass by familiar Disney landmarks and we had a view of what I assume is Star Wars land construction as we passed by Hollywood Studios.

We are staying at the Contemporary. It was a nice surprise to find that DME only had Wilderness Lodge and Contempo guests. Contempo is usually the last of 4 stops so our trip on the bus was shorter than I had anticipated. We are staying in the Garden Wing, and despite my best efforts, paying rack rates. I tried really hard to get a discount, but free dining was not offered at Contemporary this year to my knowledge, and I had no luck snagging the 'enchanted holidays' discount or whatever it was called. I tried a few stratigies to get sent a pin code and I did actually get sent a pin code but it was for August.

I used Touring Plans to look up the garden view rooms and requested 5106. It has a beautiful view of the pool and is very close to the Contemporary A-frame main building. I got a text at 2:18pm that "your room isn't quite ready". When we arrived at 3pm we stopped at the desk and they confirmed our room still wasn't ready. The CM said it was because I had requested a specific room. She also let me know that the room I requested was unavailable, but that we would be nearby it.

I had made sure that our swimsuits were in our carry-ons, so we changed in the public restrooms near the Wave. Right as we finished changing at 3:26pm we got a text that our room was ready, so we headed to the room. It is still on the 1st floor of the Garden Wing but doesn't have a pool view. I'm not sure whether to count that as a successful room request or not. What I had wanted was a pool view, but I'm very glad we're at least on the 1st floor because it will make it easier with the kids in the stroller. We had asked for a crib/pack'n'play for DS and it hadn't arrived yet, so I called and asked for one to be delivered.

We headed out for some pool time and my DD surprised us by doing the water slide several times. The air was colder than the pool temperature so the water felt fine to DH and me but after about 45 mins DS started shivering. It had been cloudy and drizzling on and off, we swam in the rain but the sun came out when we got out of the pool. There was a gorgeous double rainbow over Bay Lake, I wish I had thought to take a picture of it. Of course, I took the double rainbow as a sign from my mom and grandmother. <3

We headed back to our room at 4:45pm with plans to get 4 showers done before our 6pm Chef Mickey's reservation. Unfortunately, our checked bag hadn't arrived. Most of my things that I needed to shower were checked, so that was frustrating. I called bell services and they said DME delivers luggage within 3-5 hours of arrival- I had only read within 3 hours online. They estimated our bag would arrive within the hour, so I asked them to hold it and call me when it arrived. DH and the kids showered using the resort shampoo and soap which smelled lovely. Bell services called as I was jumping in the shower so DH ran to get the bag (it had everything I needed to blow out my hair, as well as my makeup and the markers and autograph book for the kids.)

We made it to Chef Mickey's 4 mins late for our 6pm reservation. They didn't have any issues with us being late and we were seated pretty quickly. We did Chef Mickey's multiple times during our trip last year when we were locked down to the hotel, but only once before with the characters. Apparently my DD remembered it because she was too overwhelmed to eat which we hadn't anticipated. She even knocked over her chair in excitement- meanwhile DS was ignorantly, contentedly stuffing his face with mac and cheese.

We saw all of the 'fab 5' which was wonderful. The other families at nearby tables were just as excited as we were and clapped and cheered when the characters came near which my kids loved. Our best interaction was with Minnie. DS hugged her and then they 'booped' each other's noses for a full 2 minutes straight lol. He kept giggling every single time. DD was a little jealous that she didn't get as much of Minnie's attention but the way Minnie was with my DS was just adorable. I put myself in charge of the autograph book and markers after DD ruined her dress with sharpie. I actually think it worked out well because the characters would interact with my kids first and then come over to see me and sign the book last.

We are not on the meal plan so we paid $181 including tip ($55/adult and $33/kid with DS eating free since he's under 3.) I knew it was going to be that much and while I was planning our trip, I was fine with the expense. But signing the receipt for $181 did actually make me question if we'll be doing Chef Mickey's much in the future. We think the meal plan is too much food, but I realized there really is something to be said about not looking at the numbers and just enjoying the feeling that it's all included. I am going to keep a close eye on our food expenses and I will report back on whether or not the meal plan would have been a better value.

After dinner we walked to see the gingerbread house also on the 4th floor and browsed the gift shop. We picked up an 8 pack of 8 oz Dasani waters for the room for $4.49, after Chef Mickey's the price seemed crazy cheap haha. Then we went back to our room for bedtime. It was pouring rain, but fortunately the walkway from the A-frame to the Garden Wing is covered, so we stayed (mostly) dry. DD was overtired and started to cry, and a lifeguard came over and did a great job cheering her up with a sticker. I need to start writing down the names of the great CMs we're meeting! Our waiter at Chef Mickey's and that lifeguard were both awesome. I'd like to email compliments about them to guest services.

Got back to our room around 8:30pm and noticed the crib still wasn't there. I called again and this time the crib arrived within 10 mins. We all passed out pretty quickly after that. DH commented "wow I didn't know it was supposed to thunderstorm" - no DH, that's Happily Ever After! We couldn't see anything from our room but could hear all the booms.

Getting ready for our busy day today, I will report back later! I'm trying to include details I would find helpful (like the cost of the water or how the room request went) but if anyone has any questions or suggestions for me, fire away!

12/4- Epcot!

We had fully intended to rope drop at Epcot, but unfortunately my stomach was a little upset this morning so we got a delayed start. We got on the monorail from Contempo at 8:23 and made it to Epcot at 8:54 (park opened at 9). While we were on the monorail I got a text from touring Plans' reservation finder that BOG had opened up a lunch reservation for tomorrow. We got it! Then when we arrived at Epcot I sent DH with DD on his shoulders to head for Test Track, and DS and I stayed with the bag and the stroller. We watched DH and DD sail through the no bags line while we spent 15 mins going through security. It felt like forever while we were in line, but in reality it wasn't bad at all.

DS is about 35 inches, so unfortunately he's too small for Test Track and Soarin. He and I had a mommy & son photopass shoot in front of Spaceship Earth to kill some time, and then we went over to check out the Fountain of Nations. DH texted me that the TT line was only 30 mins, so after the fountains we moseyed on over to the exit for TT. We went inside and DS was in heaven with all the cars they have inside after the ride. I let him stand in the driver's seat and it was honestly as good as a ride for him. Another mom with a 2 year old said the same thing. I highly recommend the Test Track 'exit' for little ones to play in.

After TT we went over to Soarin' and amazingly, the line was only 15 mins. We got a childswap for DH and I took DD on. I think our whole line + ride was about 20 mins, but when DH went back on with the childswap it took about 40 mins total. There was an area with chairs and lots of other toddlers right outside the exit to Soarin' so DS and I chilled there. Best of all, they had USB outlets so I could charge my phone which definitely saved me later.

We had a carefully tinkered with personalized touring plan, and it was my first time utilizing TPs. I think overall our strategy was good, but we definitely were running behind schedule because the lines were longer than anticipated. Also, I found that none of the expected wait times that they posted were accurate, although the actual wait times seemed to fall somewhere between TPs and MDE's posted wait times. We rode Living with the Land after Soarin' which killed us on time a little- it was posted at 30 mins (TP said 18) and ended up being a 21 min wait. But it was DS's first ride of our trip and he seemed to like it.

I had to move our FP for Spaceship Earth because we were running out of time. So I changed it from 10:35-11:35 and grabbed a 1:35 instead. At that point it was 11:20 and we headed over to Mission:Space Green for DH and DD. I am 24 weeks pregnant, and this was the last of the rides that DS or I couldn't go on. Of course, DD says it was her favorite! DS and I hung in the gift shop and then eventually wandered into the ride's exit area. I wish we had walked in there sooner because they had a ton of stuff (it looked like they even have a playground) and DS was interested, but DH and DD arrived so we were off to our next item!

I had made a reservation at San Angel Inn- a controversial choice, I know! But my grandmother actually took me there on my first trip to Disney when I was DD's age, and I still remember it. We arrived in Mexico and hopped on Gran Fiesta Tour. It was such a trip for me because I hadn't been on it in 27 years but I still remembered the fireworks on the ceiling at the ending! DS loved it, DD was maybe not as impressed but then again she had just gone on Test Track, Soarin' x2, and Mission: Space Green.

San Angel Inn's ambiance did not disappoint. DS kept talking about the volcano and watching the steam, and the kids saw that the Gran Fiesta Tour ride we had just gone on was passing by a few tables away. The food was meh as expected. We got an order of guacamole for the table and I asked for the mango on the side. DS was delighted to eat the mango separately. The free salsa that came with the chips was gross. I ordered the vegetarian platter and the vegetables and beans were pretty good actually. DH got the carnitas and was not happy with it, although our server brought out hot sauce that improved it. DD ordered the quesadilla kids' meal and the rice that was her side was disgusting. It was painful paying triple digits for this meal ($101.57) but again, I had picked it for ambiance and nostalgia, not for the food, and I knew what we were signing up for.

After lunch it was time for our Frozen fast pass! We got there 7 minutes early and got a lecture both from the CM and a nosy guest behind us. But we were let on and the wait was pleasant. We all love the Frozen ride, it really is gorgeous. Last year there were a lot of technical issues that caused it to keep going down but yesterday I didn't see it out of service once.

So much more to report about Epcot but it's time to get ready for MK so I will update later!

Reactions: shh
Ok back to Epcot! So after the Frozen ride I decided to do something dumb. DS was ready to nap in the stroller, and next on our touring plan was meeting Anna and Elsa. One problem- we had forgotten the autograph book. So I offered to "run" back over to the Contemporary to get it. An hour and a half later... I made it back. I had not anticipated that it would take so long, and we sacrificed seeing some of the Christmas storytellers / strolling casually around World Showcase. But DS was napping the whole time I was gone, so it's not like we would have done a ton of things anyway. I did regret wasting all that time but it was like a 3/10.

So when I returned with the book, we met Anna and Elsa! The character interactions were great, Elsa told my little towheaded son he has "manly blondness like Kristoff" and then taught my kids how to speak reindeer. It was adorable.

We headed over to use our Spaceship Earth fastpass... and the ride was down. We were given a "multiple experience" fast pass to use instead = any tier 2 ride, any time; but fast passes really weren't necessary for any of the other tier 2 rides.

It was coming up on 5pm, so we headed for the "cheap seats" to try and catch a few minutes of Candlelight Processional. Neil Patrick Harris was the narrator and the line was absolutely bananas. I would have loved to see the show (we would have done the meal reservation with guaranteed seating) but at age 2 and 5 I wasn't sure if my kids would sit through the whole thing. Having glimpsed it now, I think the kids would have liked it but I'm pretty sure even the guaranteed seats people had to stand in that outrageous line. Anyway, we slowly walked past it and saw about 10 seconds of it, and then we got a funnel cake to split and sat at a table near the American Heritage Gallery. We couldn't see anything but could hear the songs. I couldn't hear NPH but it was still lovely for the 20 mins that we sat there.

After that we headed over to Italy for the "Le Befana" Christmas storyteller. It was fine but nothing amazing - I didn't regret missing the others during my autograph book excursion.

My kids started asking when we would finally see Figment, so we headed over to Journey into Imagination. From there we did the Seas, it was my first time and I fell absolutely in love with the manatees. They are adorable, huge and slow moving. I totally get why they call them sea cows. And luck was on our side, because after about 5 minutes of visiting, they closed the manatee exhibit - it was their "bedtime". I want to say it was only about 7pm so I am really glad we were able to catch them.

Spaceship Earth was still closed, so we decided to grab a bite at the Electric Umbrella. It was warm enough to eat outside, and that was a great decision DH and I loved sitting by the fountains and listening to the Christmas music. The fountains were synchronized to the music and it was gorgeous. Best of all, it was the first thing to really put us in the Christmas spirit.

After dinner, Spaceship Earth was back up and running! We used our FP thank goodness, the stand-by line was 45 mins at 8pm.

I really wanted to go to the character spot so that the kids could meet Ralph and Vanellope (and get a few more signatures for the book I had trekked to get) but it was coming up on 9pm and we knew that we didn't want to stay for the fireworks. We had walked about 22k steps at that point which is a lot for this pregnant chick!

We got back to our room to find out we had been pixie dusted- there were Mickey-shaped chocolate chip cookies waiting for us! A card was there from the hotel management wishing us a happy celebration... we really aren't celebrating anything besides being on vacation but hey- free cookies! I think it might have been to make up for our late check-in yesterday? Or the late luggage? Either way, it was a nice treat. And despite the sugar, my kids passed out immediately after showers, which was important- rope drop at MK the next day!

Ok so yesterday, 12/5 was a big day for me. When we were here last year we missed Happily Ever After a few times, so for our "redemption trip" that was a priority for me. But of course, with MVMCP in the mix, MK is mobbed on non-party days, and that's the only time to see HEA. Our family does not do lines over 30 minutes- the kids start to get miserable and that makes us miserable. So, I spent a TON of time planning things out very carefully. We had 3 fast passes- 7DMT for DD and DH, Pooh for DS and me, Peter Pan for all 3 of us, and Splash Mountain for DD and DH, Jingle Cruise for DS and me. I had gotten up at 6am 90 days in advance and put a ton of thought into those FPs. We also had a reservation at Harmony Barbershop for DS's first haircut (yes, at age 2.5 he finally had about a millimeter of hair to cut lol) and Bibbidi Boppidi Boutique for DD. And I got up at 6am 180 days in advance, stalked / used Touring Plan's reservation finder to get us Be Our Guest and Cinderella's Royal Table. I had been stressing about BOG for weeks because the only BOG reservation I could get was too close to DS's haircut time, but watching, waiting, and luck helped me to score the perfect time the day before.

All of that is a long-winded way to say I had put months of planning and effort and hours and hours of thought into how I wanted our day to go. I see now that it was a recipe for disaster.

I had optimized our Touring Plan several times, and it always recommended starting with Tinkerbell. No problem- we got to MK by 8:30am and were one of the first families in her line. Our rope-drop wait would be close to 30 minutes, but it seemed worth it to have a minimal wait for our fave fairy.

I was hoping Tink would start seeing guests a few minutes early, but instead nothing happened until about 9:05am. They announced Tinkerbell was having "navigational issues" and she had not arrived yet. The meet & greet would not open for another "15-20 minutes".

Ok people, remember that I am pregnant and hormonal! I was really upset. I felt so insulted that I put months of time and effort into my plan, and yet Disney doesn't have a plan when Tinkerbell doesn't show. So thanks to some cast member who can't bother to come to work on time, my family had to wait an extra 20 minutes. Maybe it seems like a small thing, but we are talking about Disney- for the price we pay, I expect them to get it right.

I went to the CM working at the line entrance, and I asked if we could be given a fast pass to come back and meet Tink once she arrived. The CM immediately said no. I got no sympathy from any of the CMs working at Tinkerbell, they all kept repeating "she'll be here in 20 minutes" and meanwhile the lines everywhere else (those rides with cast members who had actually come to work) were getting longer and longer. I let the CM know that this was absolutely not up to my expectation of Disney... he did not care.

I started complaining to DH about how unprofessional and frustrating it was to get our family up and ready to rope-drop but Disney can't have their characters ready on time. Rather than backing me, he tried to shush me. In retrospect, that was absolutely the right move as a parent and out of politeness to the other guests. But as a husband... I was furious at him! And that's how I ended up missing Tinkerbell entirely, because I was crying in the bathroom when my kids finally got to meet her. It was NOT a magical start to the day.

So... I pulled it together. I was REALLY angry, both at DH and Disney, but it was our MK day so I didn't want to waste any of it being upset.

We hit Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and by the time we left I was feeling like myself again. We were going to try for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, but the wait had climbed to 55 mins. So we did the magic carpets, Pirates, and Enchanted Tiki Room, then noticed that Splash Mountain had only a 5 min wait. It was chilly (60° and breezy) but DH and DD were game. I swapped their Splash FPs for Jingle Cruise and moved DS and my time to match. The earliest I could get was 7:50pm.

I had packed flip flops in the stroller for DH and DD to wear on Splash, and they stripped off their layers. DS and I went into the Briar Patch store to wait- I hadn't realized there is a playground for little ones right under the bridge. But the Briar Patch store had coloring books, crayons, and rocking chairs, so he was very content. And about 20 mins later it was time to go meet DH and DD. Splash is my very favorite ride but last year it was closed for refurb and this year I am pregnant- next time I WILL go on it! I was excited to hear DD's reaction- and she loved it. She only turned 5 a month ago but this kid just loves thrill rides lol. I couldn't believe it but in the drop pic she had her hands up! She wanted to ride it again but it was time for DS's first haircut.

We had to navigate the double stroller from Splash to Harmony Barbershop which is at the very beginning of Main Street... and we had about 15 minutes to get there through the crowds. It was stressful but we made it! The 1st haircut lasted about 5 mins total but it was adorable and DS was excited that it was something special for him. He was given a Mickey Ears cap that says 1st haircut on the back, a certificate, and a lock of his hair. $25 plus cash only for tip but we agreed it was worth it. I hadn't brought cash into the park with me so thank goodness for DH!

We headed over to BOG and again found it to be one of the tastier meals of our trip. We both had the braised pork which was delicious but a there was a lot of fat on the meat. DS and DD split the grilled cheese, soup and French fries kids meal. It was plenty of food, in fact, I got to try the last few bites of their sandwich and it was pretty good!

By then it was 1:30. DS had snoozed in the stroller for about 10 mins (during our walk from Splash to Harmony) so that was a problem. We did the carousel which was a 10 minute wait and then decided to walk the fantasyland circle in the hopes that one or both kids would nap in the stroller. They didn't, but I was feeling pretty tired by then. DS and I sat in the sunshine and played while DH and DD went on the Barnstormer (30 min wait).

It was close to 2:30 when we decided an ice cream snack would be the perfect pick-me-up. I had my heart set on trying the Peter Pan float (key lime soft serve and Sprite) but the peppermint soft serve did tempt me. The PP float was different, I enjoyed it except for the really gross chocolate they use for the feather on top. Neither of my kids nor my DH liked it... more for me!

Joining in..we will be there in January with a 10, 9, 6, 4 and 1 year old ....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!