11 yEARS later, here we are again...UPDATED 2/23! The Last Day!

Sorry, I apparently don't know how to use this and I'm having so much trouble with the images showing up. I will fix so please bear with me! :confused3:surfweb:

Sorry, I apparently don't know how to use this and I'm having so much trouble with the images showing up. I will fix so please bear with me! :confused3:surfweb:

Ahh, I thought it might just be me... no worries, am enjoying the report anyway! I can see many of them, just not some of them.

Fellow Virginian here, saying "hi!" Joining in--I'm really liking your writing style. :) Your trip sounds fantastic so far!

But sadly it's closed and the umbrella's remain just to torture us. Moment of silence for Starring Rolls.

Thank you

aw, Starring Rolls, how I miss thee.....

Ahh, I thought it might just be me... no worries, am enjoying the report anyway! I can see many of them, just not some of them.

I got it, I can internet!:cool1:

Fellow Virginian here, saying "hi!" Joining in--I'm really liking your writing style. :) Your trip sounds fantastic so far!

aw, Starring Rolls, how I miss thee.....

Thanks! Yeah why'd they take it away? Seems mean :thumbsup2

Day 4 (Day 3 of Disney!)

It’s Animal Kingdom day! Which for some reason has been to known to be the most hottest day of our whole trip. We’re not sure why but that always winds up being the case. Today was going to be a pretty light day overall, we had our fastpasses for the Safari, Festival of the Lion King and the girls had an Everest one.

The kids REALLY wanted to take the bus this morning so DW took them to the stop while I continued to drive. Yup as long as I had my car, there was NO WAY I was hoping on a bus with a stroller again. Hopped in the car and drove over only to sit in the longest line I waited to get into a park ever. For some reason AK was popular today and we were about to add to it. I texted this picture to DW and said they’d probably beat me there but at that point they had just gotten on the bus.

20180814_084721_2.jpg

After I parked in what seemed like the furthest lot away (I think I was near the Pyramids), I walked to the front of the park. Yes I could have taken the tram over but then you know, folding the stroller and struggling with it.

Forgot to mention, I was having serious trouble unfolding the stroller. It kept getting stuck every time I folded it so at this point I was terrified to fold it all the way.

ANYWAY

Made it to the front of the park to try and meet up with everyone but didn’t see them so since it was still kind of early before our FP I wanted to pick up the greatest colossal cinnamon roll ever. You can pick up one of these fine beauties at Kusafiri Coffee Shop and Bakery.

20180814_093225_2.jpg

Forunately there was no line so I was able to go right through and that’s when I saw the family by the Harambe Fruit Market. How did they beat me here!?! Oh well, we picked up some strawberries, milk and water for the kids and grabbed a seat over at the Harambe Market. We found this place last time we were there after trying to find a place to sit down. What a gem! Since nothing is open yet, this place is empty! Nothing but empty tables with umbrellas. Nice and cool.

After our breakfast we made our way over to the Safari! DS is totally into animals so this was great for him.

Look a giraffe!
20180814_101711_2.jpg

Look another giraffe!
20180814_101650.jpg

Kids, Big Ben, Parliament!

Elephants!
20180814_102250_1.jpg

King of The Forest! He probably has courage.
20180814_102644.jpg

Time for the Festival of the Lion King! We technically don’t need FPs for this but get them anyway as we don’t really ride much here. I parked my minivan and met up with family in line (line cutter!) and were fortunate enough to get under the shade before the line was outside the queue. As they tell you, fill in all the available space! I think people get nervous that a group will get in front of them and people kind of guard their area, which I get. But unless you’re super early and get the first two rows it doesn’t matter.

After the doors open they send us to the Elephant section and were fortunate enough to get on the aisle. We’re about 5 rows back but the hope was to make the aisle so that the kids had a chance to be picked for the finale. It’s at this point the CM’s yell for everyone to slide over to make room and we kind of did the half slide and then slid back when they didn’t fill up the section.

20180814_105508_1.jpg

If you haven’t seen it, please do so. The performers are amazing and the show is great. Favorite part goes to the fire guy, how does he do that?! Anyway, the finale rolled around and the performers came right up! To the girls in front of us. Fortunately, they didn’t want to participate and asked DD and DS and they jumped at the chance.

20180814_112603_1.jpg

So cute to watch the CM’s interact with them and they have their moment. This is what it’s all about, right?
20180814_112607_2.jpg

After the show we picked up more water and made our way over to Everest so the girls could ride and DS and I could go to Dino Land USA. He’s also very much enamored with dinosaurs so this is a cute area for him. The ONLY thing I don’t like about it is the carnival style games. This isn’t the boardwalk at Ocean City!

He and I rode Tricera Top Spin and by the time we got out the girls had already made their way back from the mountains of Everest.
20180814_122125.jpg

She looks terrified, but DW said she had a blast. DW was a little nervous riding it as riding roller coasters isn’t really her forte anymore. But she also made it :worship:
wdw201822663129985_412923510686_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpg

DD wanted to ride TTS so we got back in line and let the kids sit up front while we took the back row.
20180814_131606.jpg

DD wanted to play some games so we dropped $20 on the tickets and picked the ball throwing game. DS wound up winning a medium sized orange turtle! Unfortunately for DD, she did not. And she tried whack a mole which she also didn’t win so she was very down on herself for not winning anything and her brother winning something. In order to make the universe right again, we promised her a toy before we left the park.

Man AK is HOT today so we sweat our way to Chester and Hester Dinosaur Treasure shop and cool off for a little bit. We promised DS that he could get a dino or two so he picked out two little ones for himself so that meant DD also had to pick something out for herself. It was something small, nothing too crazy.

While we were picking out toys for the kids a CM became enthralled with DS and was playing with him and asking him questions which was really sweet.

Saw this shirt on the way out, made me laugh
20180814_124851.jpg

It was pushing 2 and we still hadn’t eaten lunch yet and we were close to Restaurantosaurus so burgers and chicken it is! Parked the Hummer outside and I stood in line while the DW took the kids to find a seat. We changed it up this time, chicken and burgers! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:rotfl2:

I did however order an elephant cupcake since I know DW loves her some festive cupcakes. She texts me and says where they are, and I didn’t realize how big this place was and wound up walking around and not finding it immediately. Under the lights she said. There's lights everywhere!:cool2:

20180814_135408_1.jpg

Food was average but did the job and we kept cool for a little while before heading back out. The cupcake was just chocolate cake with green frosting and white chocolate elephant. Was good, nothing special. At this point we were pretty much finished with attractions and just wanted to hit the shops on the way out before we left. Usually there are some good finds in these stores, especially pins and magicbands. At this point DS fell asleep so it was easier to shop. I don’t know if you are aware of this or not, but 3 year olds do not sit still so this was a bonus for us. We picked up a few items, nothing of major significance and made our way out of the park, all to the car this time.

We had some downtime before our dinner at the Hoop Dee Doo Revue! On our way back I was going to stop at the store in the Poly to pick up some waters and snacks and then I ran into DW. She was very frustrated and said the path to the room was blocked and the CM just stared at her and didn’t know where to go. So we tried walking around the pool only to get cut off again. The path right by the marina was closed due to construction, and then we cut through the pool and then outside the front of the hotel and around the outside. This frustrated DW to no end so once we got back to the room she relaxed and took a nap. The children didn’t, of course, so put on Disney Junior and I also took a quick nap.

Had the 6:15pm show so we left the hotel around 5:30, drove over and parked. There was a threat of rain so had DW take the umbrella just in case. The bus arrived just as we were walking toward the stop and got on. My first Disney bus(and ONLY during the trip)! Since it’s an internal bus and not being familiar with the area, we were a little confused as to where we needed to be dropped off. Figured it out, as did the rest of the bus, and walked down to the check in. It was almost immediate, the rain started. Everyone ran and took cover and I stood with my umbrella outside. I thought there would be no room where everyone was so I waited 10 minutes before finding DW. There was a lot more room under cover then I thought and we played Heads Up until they opened the doors. DD likes to play where if she doesn’t know the answer, instead of passing she just says “Ok I’ll say I got it” and move on. :) Kids today and their music.

Doors opened and away we went! The CM took our paper and said “Oh, this is a good seat!” and led us to the second row! If you read our Disneymoon trip report, the last time we were at the HDD was 2006 and we got the very front. Two times and great seats! I think the table number was 24, but it was the category 1 seating at the time of booking. Figured why not splurge since the kids had never been. So close to the stage! Right behind the piano and banjo players. :rockband:

At the beginning of the show when they go around and ask where everyone is from, we look up and Jim Handy is at our table asking us. We were from Virginia to get some chicken in ya!

Show was so much fun, forgot how funny and interactive it was. The kids really enjoyed it too, especially DD. Her favorite part was the hokey pokey with the horn. She loves a good toot joke. Then again who doesn’t :rotfl: All the actors were good, especially the guy who played Six Bits. He was on point, even ad libbing.

Food is awesome. Fried chicken, ribs, corn, mashed potatoes, beans and corn bread. Can’t go wrong with that plate at all. The kids didn’t eat any of that except for the corn, so the waiter brought them out cheeseburgers and fries. I had heard that if you just ask they will bring you out any food for the kids so that was nice.
20180814_185655_2.jpg
20180814_200100.jpg
20180814_200206_1.jpg
20180814_200208_2.jpg

The big dessert is a strawberry shortcake for the whole table! Sadly I didn’t get a picture of it, I’m not exactly sure why I didn’t. Probably because I was the only one eating it and I went to town on it. DW isn’t a strawberry person and DS and DD only eat cut up strawberries so to them this food looked foreign. Oh well, more for me! I didn’t eat the whole thing but enough to make myself regret it.

It was just before 8 and still early so after dinner we decided to hit up Disney Springs AGAIN. What can we say we just love it there. Parked in the Lime Garage and hit up the Lego Store, the World of Disney and the pin store. Do you like what they did with World of Disney? I mean I guess it flows a little better now but I feel like some of the magic was taken away by just making it look like a store. I mean it’s Disney! Theme it up!
20180814_225022_2.jpg

Picked up a few things and made our way out. Tomorrow would be our first Epcot day! We knew wouldn’t do rope drop so we could “sleep in.” Please you don’t sleep in in Disney World. You power nap until the next day.
20180814_225525_2.jpg

Coming up, Day 5 at Epcot! Frozen, Festive cupcakes, Chef Mickeys, rude monorail passengers and Happily Ever After!

Last edited:
Animal Kingdom, my favorite park, and safari is my favorite ride!!

I'm too scared to go on EE. I get motion sickness easily.

8/15 - Day 5(Day 4 of Disney!)

Sorry for the delay on the post, you know how the week and weekends get.
Also, I promised rude monorail guests HOWEVER I was corrected that happened later in the week. But EPCOT DID happen so here we go!

We had decided to forgo the Princess breakfast this time and just get a Frozen fastpass to start the day off. Fortunately being at the Poly means you can just walk to the TTC and just hop on the monorail and go!
Our plans for the day were pretty packed. Let's face it, there's no real leisurely stroll in Disney, especially with kids. :thumbsup2 Frozen and Nemo FP in the morning, followed by general EPCOT wandering, Mouse Gears and lunch. It doesn't sound like much but since we were only spending half the day there we had to move quick.

20180815_092033_1.jpg

DW's shirt is sort of an Easter Egg :blush:

Monorail wasn't really full so we had a car all to ourselves. Downside was getting through security as the lines were a bit long this morning. Since I had the stroller I took all the bags and let everyone roll through no bags and I stood in the line. Not a big deal but it seemed to take longer than usual.
Strolled past Spaceship Earth and worked our way straight to Frozen Ever After! The walk wasn't bad, got hot quick so it was nice when we got indoors. It's a cute ride, they did a good job with the overlay. I wasn't really sad to see Maelstrom go, I didn't really understand most of it especially the ending where the trolls push you into an oil rig in the middle of the ocean. Oh and you definitely will get wet on this ride:rotfl:

After getting dropped off in the gift shop, DD and DS made their way over to the Frozen stuff while DW found the artwork from Larry Dotson. We love his stuff and each time we go we get at least three prints. This time around we decided to start getting prints of hotels we've stayed in. It's not all that many but something fun for us to do. And he's ALWAYS there when we go! Normally we get him to personalize our prints but he wasn't there yet so we just bought and rolled out as the children were being a bit unruly.

Next up meet Anna and Elsa! The line was 30 minutes but it was more like 15 and we got right through. We were "last" in our group so the kids got a little extra attention.
20180815_104850.jpg

DD always gets "princess struck" and gets nervous and doesn't say a word, too cute.
20180815_104926_1.jpg

20180815_104959.jpg

That Anna is always talking about chocolate!
20180815_105029.jpg

It was pushing 11 so we(I) decided we grab an early lunch to fend off the crowds just to get a seat. Thanks to the youtube, we had seen videos of the different cupcakes so DW definitely wanted to try Sunshine Seasons so off to the Land we go!
20180815_110848_1.jpg

Since they did the tier thing our options were limited for FP's, especially with the kids so we snagged a Living with Land which turned out we actually needed it! The line was HUGE!
Who doesn't love a slow moving boat ride in air conditioning? DS was a big fan of it due to some of the animals that appeared.
Sorry I don't have any pictures of the ride. It is interesting to see the people working in the lab wondering what's going on in there.
Afterwards we walked over to Sunshine Season's and got the kids chicken tenders, fries and mac and cheese.
DW and I decided to go for the Asian station and grabbed Mongolian Beef and Sweet and Sour Chicken. The noodles grabbed me in, what can I say :bitelip: We wound up switching meals since the SSC had pineapple in it and I'm not a fan. The beef was quite tasty!
Next up, cupcakes!
20180815_114802_1.jpg

First up was the Hazelnut. The frosting was normal butter cream which is tasty as always, but inside had a hazelnut filling. It was ok, DW liked it more than me. I wouldn't get it again but that's just me.
Next was the lemon Belle cupcake
20180815_114807.jpg

I was also not a fan of this one as it was a literal lemon. It had a lemon frosting with a cherry center. Again, DW liked it and I was not a fan. I guess I'm just a traditional cupcake guy(Funfetti!)
It was starting to get jammed in there and we had a fast pass for Nemo so made our way over to The Seas only to find out Nemo was down. Oh well, it would come back eventually so just rolled into the back door and headed for Turtle Talk.
20180815_123635.jpg

The kids sat up front and DD tried to ask a question and didn't get picked so we told her we'd try again on our second EPCOT day. I remember Crush was talking to a kid and asked where his parents were and goes "Let's talk to the dad, he looks terrified":rotfl2:
When we got out Nemo was working again so we left and came back in to ride. I took a bunch of pictures on the ride but they didn't turn out at all, oh well. Nemo got lost, they found him :thumbsup2
Spent some time in the aquarium and found Nemo!
20180815_131328.jpg

Hidden Mickey and a shark
20180815_131805_1.jpg

20180815_132424.jpg

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!

We dilly-dallyed a bit in the Seas before leaving and heading over towards Mouse Gears, DW's favorite store in ALL of Disney World. It's at this point that DS fell asleep in the stroller so it was easier for DW to shop. We only picked up a few things and on the way out stopped at the pin store and got a few pins.
The monorail ride back was uneventful and like I said before, being at the Poly is nice that we don't have to change monorails to another hotel. Now off to rest!
Cranked the AC below 70 and got recharged before our 5:15 dinner at Chef Mickey's! This was just the precursor to the Happily Ever After dessert party. Now I had gone back and forth to whether to keep the Chef Mickey's or not, I was afraid about leaving my car for longer than the three hours we had read. Our thinking was we eat, walk over to MK and then be able to walk out of MK to the car without having to use the monorail or the boat after the fireworks. I threw caution to the wind and decided to just risk it and go for it.
The drive was only a few minutes and we self parked and walked straight in. This was the early seating so the place was kind of empty to start. But first the obligatory picture!
wdw201822764081232_412941280669_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpg

No thanks, Mickey. I'm not here for your bowl of random vegetables.
We were seated across the back wall towards the entrance by the windows and was told the characters were going to be coming quick and boy did they!
First up Donald! He quacked the kids up. Such a quack up. Quack.
20180815_173711.jpg

The mouse himself!
20180815_173813_1.jpg

20180815_174030.jpg

Oh Goofy. What a dip.
20180815_174236.jpg

Minnie I was unimpressed with, and this is the second time this happened. She got to our table, literally dragged the kids out of their seats and moved on. The first time was at HS last Christmas and it was the same thing. I don't know what her deal was but she was not pleasant, even with the smile.
20180815_174636_1.jpg

Pluto! He was impressive. The books were upside down and he signed them so they showed up right side up. He licked the kids too, ha. :rotfl2: Pluto was on point.

Dinner was good, had some decent options and the kids ate most of their meals. Passed on dessert as our next destination was the HEA Dessert party. Overall this is a great meal for kids, a little pricey but you get 5 main characters in one shot.

Walked over to MK and since we had some time to kill before the party opened we did everyone's favorite, the TTA!
20180815_193219_1.jpg

20180815_194006_1.jpg

I don't think either of them are looking at the camera.
20180815_194016_1.jpg

Paging Mr. Morrow!

We make our way over to the checking spot, which if you're not familiar with it's right after the bathrooms from main street into the old Noodle Terrace.
After check-in, we are led to a table towards the bottom part of the Terrace. They do a nice job in covering up all the tables with clothes and candles. And the food is actually really good. Today they had cheeseburger eggrolls! And those. were. awesome. I hear they have those near the Tiki Room in MK if you want to get your hands on some.

This was my plate
20180815_201424_1.jpg

Red Velvet cupcake with frosting, Oreo cookie with cookies and cream filling and a chocolate Mickey face and of course, chocolate covered strawberries. I got many of those.
They also have sparkling cider, coffee and milk. It's pricey, but it beats lining up hours ahead of time sitting on the ground.
After we ate, we walked to the check-in desk and someone led us into the "grassy" area in the hub that's roped off. Most of the middle was taken and people were already sitting on the ground so we just stayed to the right. There was a tree kind of in the way but we could still see. Plus the kids didn't want anything to do with fireworks so they stayed in the stroller.
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_412945877793.jpg

They do photopass now!

This is one of our new favorite soundtracks, we sing it all the time. The show is awesome, I highly recommend it. And we paid extra for the party just for the special seating. As you can see, we got the 'obstructed view' side
20180815_211831.jpg

I kept checking on the kids. DD had fallen asleep and DS was crying due to the noise. I can't blame either of them, I was the same way at their age so I'm definitely sympathetic.
20180815_213714_001.jpg

Right before the castle goes back to normal. But look at the mass exodus to leave! We waited probably 10 minutes for the crowd to die down, which it didn't, so we hopped in with the rest of them. Took us down the overflow lane behind main street and we turned around and went to the candy store at the end to check for some treats and then make our way out. The monorail line was crazy as was the buses, but fortunately the car was at the Contemporary(my hope!).
Sure enough, there was the car right where we left it. All my worry was for naught. And it was worth not having to wait in those crazy lines to get out of the park. One year we tried walking back and getting on the monorail at the Contemporary only to call a Lyft to go to the Poly since that line was also insane. Why don't they finish the path to the GF? That would be a good walk back. I mean it'd be long but another way out.

Back to the room for some well earned sleep. Tomorrow was our "day off," so to speak. Since the three of us only have 8 day tickets, we decided to use this day so DW could go to the Character Warehouse during the day and then we'll have a pool day in the afternoon. And then dinner at probably new my favorite restaurant, Chef Art Smith Homecomin!

-Sorry for the delay on the writing, you know how busy things get with the kids:thumbsup2

Do all dessert parties have the cheeseburger eggrolls? That would be awesome! Im doing the after dessert party on my trip next week and can't wait!

Do all dessert parties have the cheeseburger eggrolls? That would be awesome! Im doing the after dessert party on my trip next week and can't wait!

This time they did, not sure if that's something they're keeping or if it's seasonal but it was definitely a surprise!

What a fun day!

We're doing the same dessert party when we go in February. It's actually going to be our first time seeing the fireworks from MK, so we're really excited. We're also staying at the Poly, but we aren't renting a car. So - I think its an EMH night, so I'm thinking we'll just hang out for a bit afterwards to let the crowd die down. Hopefully. Glad you liked it, though, good to hear!

What a fun day!

We're doing the same dessert party when we go in February. It's actually going to be our first time seeing the fireworks from MK, so we're really excited. We're also staying at the Poly, but we aren't renting a car. So - I think its an EMH night, so I'm thinking we'll just hang out for a bit afterwards to let the crowd die down. Hopefully. Glad you liked it, though, good to hear!

You'll love it. What I forgot to mention was after you leave the dessert party and head towards the viewing area, people tend to head towards the back and sit down. We generally get to the fireworks 20 minutes before it starts hence the 'obstructed view.' When the fireworks go off though, the people in front of you may stand, causing you to stand and it's the stadium effect. That happened to us but we stood up off to the side to make sure we didn't block anyone.
And since you're going on EMH night, you should have plenty of time to make it back to the Poly to let the crowds die down. There's always the boat!

8/16 - Day 6(Day 5 of Disney....sort of)

Hello! How's everyone? A little under the weather but good thanks for asking. Now where were we, ah yes Disney! You know, before they raised prices for EVERYTHING.

If you remember, myself and the kids didn't have park tickets for all 10 days so this day was going to be a non park day. DW was especially excited since this was Character Warehouse day. I will preface by saying that I have ZERO pictures of it and I apologize. Our plan was to hit the store on Vineland, grab lunch and hit the pool and then have dinner in Disney Springs.
We got up a little later than usual since the store didn't open until 10 but our goal was to leave around 9:30. For those who've never been, it's really easy to get to without using I4! Drive south on World Dr to Epcot Center Drive which turns into 536 and then left onto International Drive. Pretty simple.
So out the door we go and probably took us only 15-20 minutes to get there tops. Now we had only been there once before, the week before Christmas. I didn't go in, DS and I sat in the car while DW and DD went in since I was told "I'll only be a few minutes, just want to see it" An hour plus later and several cars driving past me in the parking lot wondering if I was leaving and DW was hooked. Since then it's been all Character Warehouse videos on the youtube.

Get a good parking spot and make our way into the Outlets walking through the food court and it was on the right, not yet open, but the crowd was forming. It was about 10 minutes until it opened so I found the Starbucks next door and got us some pastries. By the time I got out, the store had opened and DW was well inside.

Again, I wish I had taken pictures. Here I am holding a drink and a muffin watching people whirl past me. I run into DD, who had a piece of emoji luggage in tow. She liked it so she wanted to make sure no one else took it. Smart! DW was somewhere in the back with DS so I grabbed him and DD and we walked around. I went straight for the pins since we're big pin people and grabbed a few Rogue One pins since those were plenty. There were shirts, hats, toys and a lot of random things. The prices were awesome how could we not buy them! However when it comes to picking out clothes the sizes were either small or XXXXL. Once and awhile we'd find an L or an XL on a shirt we'd like that remember that going in. They had a bunch of Star Wars Vinylmation on a shelf and I picked up two, they were only $1.99! I walked back 5 minutes later and it was like someone and taken their arm and dumped the rest in their cart. There was this poor guy standing there dumbfounded asking people what happened to them. Magic! I was glad I'd gotten them when I did!

I don't want to say how much we spent, but it was a lot. And yes we did get the luggage :dancer:

We took our loot and sat in the food court going over things and since it was so early we decided to hit the store on International Drive. Why not? We had a free day and it was still early. A quick potty break and a stop for some drinks before we hit the road. I finally decided to take a picture!
20180816_111311_1.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but trust me there was A LOT. Oh and the luggage was $69.99, marked down from $200!

I bring up the store on International Drive and make our way there, unfortunately up I4. I COULD have just driven straight up International Drive but didn't want to deal with all the lights. It wasn't a terrible drive since it was still kind of early in the day and probably took 15 or so minutes to get up there. How many times did I say drive? Drive.

So we get to the second Character Warehouse and park around the back of the place which butts up right against I4. Having never been there before we weren't exactly sure where it was so we parked, walked along what appeared to be half a sidewalk and into a long hallway which led to the outlets. Fortunately we made the right turn and there it was! Definitely smaller than the first store and not as crowded. I guess since it was early afternoon everyone had gotten there in the morning. DW took off into the store and I had the kids and I immediately went for the pins and for the most part they had the same things. We didn't drop nearly as much as we did the first store but still ended up with some great deals. These stores are awesome! I highly recommend going if you have the transportation and the time.
20180816_130908_1.jpg

An extra bag! Keep in my mind this is just from the two stores, we haven't even talked about what's already back in the room.:rotfl:

Drove through Universal on the way out.
20180816_123124_1.jpg

We made it back to the hotel around 1 and since dinner wasn't until later, we stopped for some lunch at Captain Cooks and then immediately went to the pool. The Poly has a great pool, it was warm! The four of us floated around and enjoyed a few relaxing hours. The have a slide in the dark that dumps you out into the pool which DD wasn't afraid at all and went several times. She convinced me to go and it was dark and quick and when it ended I was thrown under real quick. It's perfect for kids and young ones but for larger individuals like myself I splashed big. Fun nonetheless.

Time for dinner! Hop in the car and make our way over to Disney Springs for Chef Art Smith's Homecomin! We had looked for a few weeks trying to get this reservation and about a week out DW finally found one. I was really excited for it since seeing videos of all the chicken. Checked in at the podium out front and then got called inside to sit for a few minutes while they got our table ready. We were right by the kitchen and the window so it wasn't a terrible seat.

20180816_191638_1.jpg

The menu! I wasn't here for the salads, I wanted the Famous Fried Chicken!
DW ordered the Thigh High Chicken Biscuits for her entree, which is actually an appetizer and for her actual appetizer the Church Lady Deviled Eggs. I ordered the Famous Fried Chicken and I tried to order the Chicken and Dumpling Soup to start but the waiter said no, the entree would fill me up. Ha! I took his advice and just shared the eggs with DW. Oh and the kids got tenders and a cheeseburger.:bitelip:
20180816_192716_1.jpg

These were delish. How can you go wrong with bacon?

Now the entrees!
20180816_194444.jpg

Famous Fried Chicken - three pieces of crispy fried chicken with a cheddar biscuit and mashed potatoes with gravy.
20180816_194452_1.jpg

Thigh High Chicken and Biscuits - Three cheddar biscuits with fried chicken dipped in honey.
20180816_194448_1.jpg

And a side of mac and cheese, just because :cheer2:

Everything was delicious. And I mean delicious. I was so full, I couldn't finish it all. This was a two person meal for sure. The chicken was crispy and juicy and the potatoes were thick, especially with the gravy. DW loved hers as well, only had one and a half before giving up. We were stuffed and bummed that we couldn't finish it all but it was worth it. Got it all boxed up to take back to the room for some snacks for later. Passed on dessert as again, full. But it looked good and saw others getting it. I would HIGHLY recommend this place. No wonder it's hard to get a reservation.

Since we were already at the Springs, we took a stroll around at night and just enjoyed being there. Nothing better than walking around and listening to the variations of Disney music that's pumping through the speakers.

We had pretty much walked off dinner so stopped at Goofy's and got a cookie or two. Or three.
20180816_215140_1.jpg

That poor Mickey Krispy Treat. It's like it got stuck in the vending machine.:rotfl2:

Looking forward to Friday our plans were MK in the morning followed by 1900 Park Fare for dinner. Needless to say we had to get an early start for rope drop in order to make a few mountains.

Coming up, small wait times, rude monorail guests and dinner with some evil step sisters!

Last edited:
So - here is what your post and AMAZING pictures of food have done to my evening:

Sat down for a quick glance through the disboards while I ate a quick, late dinner. Saw your post. Immediately ran to my plans for February and tried to figure out a way to get to Homecomin' during our trip. Which led to reading the menu, discussions with the hubby, moving some plans around, and generally going down a Disney rabbit hole. :) Oh, and buying the tickets since the pricing change is coming up, and I forgot to buy them until now.

All in all, a productive evening! :thanks:

So - here is what your post and AMAZING pictures of food have done to my evening:

Sat down for a quick glance through the disboards while I ate a quick, late dinner. Saw your post. Immediately ran to my plans for February and tried to figure out a way to get to Homecomin' during our trip. Which led to reading the menu, discussions with the hubby, moving some plans around, and generally going down a Disney rabbit hole. :) Oh, and buying the tickets since the pricing change is coming up, and I forgot to buy them until now.

All in all, a productive evening! :thanks:

Ha! That's awesome. Did you get a reservation? And good call on the tickets, we're planning three trips for next year and trying to decide whether to buy tickets or buy AP's. The Disney rabbit hole struggle is real!

I need to stop reading this trip report because thanks to you I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to fit HDDR and Homecomin into my next trip :teeth: forget the rides and shows, mama needs some fried chicken

Ha! That's awesome. Did you get a reservation? And good call on the tickets, we're planning three trips for next year and trying to decide whether to buy tickets or buy AP's. The Disney rabbit hole struggle is real!

Alas, we decided against the reservation (even though there were plenty of times to be had). Short stay before our cruise, and our days are packed full. Ah well, an excuse to go back! :rolleyes1

As for the tickets, yeah, we decided to buy now (rather than wait a bit as planned). Mainly because I've been stalking the thread about the new ticketing system, and I very much doubt prices will go DOWN. The change happens on 10/16, I guess time will tell.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-ticket-system-coming-to-wdw-begins-october-16th.3708051/

I need to stop reading this trip report because thanks to you I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to fit HDDR and Homecomin into my next trip :teeth: forget the rides and shows, mama needs some fried chicken

LOL - see my post above - SAME! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!