11 month booking ? - First day not available

DeerIsleDisney

Mouseketeer
I'm hoping to book a Boardwalk standard view when my 11-month booking window opens up next week. I've been checking availability just to see what my chances are going to be. Every morning when I check, the first day is unavailable, but the entire rest of the week stay is open. But you can't book just the following days because the booking window isn't open for them yet.

How does this happen? Are people adding on a day at the end of their reservation? Should I be trying to do this as well? (i.e. book something a few days early, then keep calling to modify the reservation?)

If I book the morning my window opens and only boardwalk or garden view is available for the first day, can I make my reservation for that and then call member services and change days 2-7 of my reservation to standard view if we are willing to change rooms? It's over the holidays, so a significant point difference.

Thanks for any advice!

They are walking reservations. Frankly, for the holiday, you are unlikely to get Standard. Poeple have been walking that for over a month.

You cannot book day one in one view then day 2-7 in another on one day. You have to use the 11 month window that starts for day 2.

This is actualy a very common occurrence for rooms that are in high demand and short supply (such as BWV standard view) at 11 months out, particulary for the high demand season that runs from late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan. What is happenning is simply that the rooms are filling one day but the next day is shown as still open because the number of check-outs for that day still slightly exceed the number of already reserved rooms for that date, i.e., a small number of rooms (possibly as low as one) are still open for that date but come the next morning, anything left will be taken only by those whose computers communicate with Disney's computers faster than anyone else's at excactly 8 a.m. eastern.

Bummer. It has been a few years since we tried to use our Boardwalk points for a stay over New Year’s. I don’t remember this being a problem then.

They are walking reservations. Frankly, for the holiday, you are unlikely to get Standard. Poeple have been walking that for over a month.

"Walking" is playing some role, but let's not pretend that hundreds of rooms at each resort are being walked. Today is the 11 month window for December 19. Many rooms were booked this week for earlier check-ins which also encompass December 19. And whatever remained was quickly gobbled up at 8:00 this morning.

Right now there are rooms available for December 20 check-in, and most/all of them will be gone by 8:02 tomorrow. Walking or no walking, that would happen at 11 months for standard view rooms that time of year...when demand exceeds supply. (And DVC stubbornly refuses to adjust the point charts to compensate.)

Bummer. It has been a few years since we tried to use our Boardwalk points for a stay over New Year’s. I don’t remember this being a problem then.
I hope you get it. Except for 2016 when we decided we would not go for NYE, I have been able to book a BWV standard view studio or 1 bedroom for 8 or 9 years for NYE. We will not be competing with you for this year, we'll be boarding the Disney Dream on NYE.

"Walking" is playing some role, but let's not pretend that hundreds of rooms at each resort are being walked. Today is the 11 month window for December 19. Many rooms were booked this week for earlier check-ins which also encompass December 19. And whatever remained was quickly gobbled up at 8:00 this morning.

Right now there are rooms available for December 20 check-in, and most/all of them will be gone by 8:02 tomorrow. Walking or no walking, that would happen at 11 months for standard view rooms that time of year...when demand exceeds supply. (And DVC stubbornly refuses to adjust the point charts to compensate.)
I'm not pretending 100s per resort, but the reality is BWV Standard Studio, there are 15 dedicated and 37 lock-offs.

I do think it's both - both walking removing units, and relative scarcity/demand for those 52 units. Which is really a small number for that demand period.

Thanks for this clarification. Maybe it's worth a shot to try on the 27th! I haven't been checking in the morning til a few minutes after 8. When it's actually time to book I'll be logged in and ready to go. But I'm also going to have a backup plan if this doesn't work. (Maybe a few nights at the Dophin on Starwood points)

I hope you get it. Except for 2016 when we decided we would not go for NYE, I have been able to book a BWV standard view studio or 1 bedroom for 8 or 9 years for NYE. We will not be competing with you for this year, we'll be boarding the Disney Dream on NYE.

Have fun! The Dream on NYE sounds awesome. The past couple of years we've rented our points and cruised instead - but not over New Year's. We did a Very Merrytime Cruise on the Fantasy in early December - so fun.

Thanks for this clarification. Maybe it's worth a shot to try on the 27th! I haven't been checking in the morning til a few minutes after 8. When it's actually time to book I'll be logged in and ready to go. But I'm also going to have a backup plan if this doesn't work. (Maybe a few nights at the Dophin on Starwood points)

The small room categories book right at 8:00am. So yes, if you're not looking right then all will be gone. With booking now check in plus 7 all the people that are checking in before you will have had the opportunity to book that night so it leaves fewer rooms to book right at the 11 month window. Having a backup is a good idea and don't forget the waitlist if you aren't able to get it right at 11 months.

This has been this way before “walking” was ever really known. First off standard is a small percentage of the resort, 20%. Standard rooms go quick. I go after these room for every trip (5 trips this year, see below). Sometimes I get shut out, but during busy times, the first night is gone before 8:01am. Remember your first day is some ones last day, or next to last day, etc. looks like the op is focusing on the Christmas time for this year, so it’s tough. I managed to get 2 standard studios for veterans weekend, and that was hard and stressful.

I'm hoping to book a Boardwalk standard view when my 11-month booking window opens up next week. I've been checking availability just to see what my chances are going to be. Every morning when I check, the first day is unavailable, but the entire rest of the week stay is open. But you can't book just the following days because the booking window isn't open for them yet.

How does this happen? Are people adding on a day at the end of their reservation? Should I be trying to do this as well? (i.e. book something a few days early, then keep calling to modify the reservation?)

If I book the morning my window opens and only boardwalk or garden view is available for the first day, can I make my reservation for that and then call member services and change days 2-7 of my reservation to standard view if we are willing to change rooms? It's over the holidays, so a significant point difference.

Thanks for any advice!
If you have enough points and the standard is not available, I'd book your trip AND book any days that come available standard waitlisting the other days. You should develop a waitlist plan for that scenario. With sufficient points to do both or if you're willing to gamble, you can likely piece together the reservation in standard view over time. It isn't very likely you'd match a waitlist for the entire reservation at one time though for a full week so you'll have to plan accordingly.

Here's what I'd do in this situation. I'd book what was available then I'd waitlist the fist night, then the second night also. I'd also keep my eye on the website as sometimes cancelations will show up there before they make it to the waitlist. As I matched waitlists or found things online that would make it so I'd only have to change rooms once, I'd then start canceling days on my existing reservation to free up the points. So the only extra points you need are the difference between the full reservation for the standard vs other plus at most 2 additional nights in standard view. Personally I'd borrow to accomplish this if I had to then bank any points later freed up out of that UY allotment.

It's additive. Normal inherent demand, good economy, and walking are all factors.

Have fun! The Dream on NYE sounds awesome. The past couple of years we've rented our points and cruised instead - but not over New Year's. We did a Very Merrytime Cruise on the Fantasy in early December - so fun.
Yes, Merrytime Cruises are fun, we did one on the Dream in December. We like Halloween themed cruises as well, and have one on the Magic to Bermuda later this year.

I hit the Booking Button at exactly 8:00 am this morning and was able to get a Standard Studio starting 12/20. By 8:03 am there were no "standard" units available starting 12/20. I didn't want to walk a reservation, but I might have to in the future. Seems it is becoming harder and harder.

I hit the Booking Button at exactly 8:00 am this morning and was able to get a Standard Studio starting 12/20. By 8:03 am there were no "standard" units available starting 12/20. I didn't want to walk a reservation, but I might have to in the future. Seems it is becoming harder and harder.

Congratulations. Yes, it is getting harder every year.

I’ve been a BWV owner since 1999, NY Eve might be the hardest night of the year to get.

I was on right at 8:00 AM EST and I managed to book a Std. View BWV studio. I'm still waitlisted for 12/20 but I'm hoping that it will open up as the walkers move forward. If it comes thru, I'll be spending 3 weeks in Disney at Christmas. I got a week in an AKV Value, 8 nights in a BWV std. view studio and then (hopefully) a week in a VGF lake view studio. I need to modify my VGF reservation once the BWV waitlist comes thru. It will be my first time to be in Disney on Christmas!

ETA: The waitlist came thru shortly after 9:00 AM EST, which I guess is when the walkers called MS to give up that night! Now I can modify my VGF reservation,

Last edited:
Does anyone know why the 29-31 on the booking windows are not only greyed out but have no point values even listed?

Does anyone know why the 29-31 on the booking windows are not only greyed out but have no point values even listed?
You're looking at the RAT? It's because they are not bookable as of today. Check a points chart to see how much those nights will cost.

You're looking at the RAT? It's because they are not bookable as of today. Check a points chart to see how much those nights will cost.
I was looking at RAT, but other dates aren’t greyed out like the 28. And in the past, the rest of the month still had the point totals. I’m fully aware how crazy busy the place is NYE, but I am wondering if something is up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter