11/24 trip report - Sorry so long.

marybarbara60102

Earning My Ears
TRIP REPORT

11/24/01 – 7 day cruise – Cat 11 – Costco Travel – DH 36, DH 35, DD 6 & 9 – from Chicago

I loved reading the cruise trip reports before my cruise, so I feel obligated to write one! Please remember that these are only my opinions. From reading the boards I have seen so many conflicting opinions on food, clubs, shows, etc.

1) We booked our cruise through Disney, transferred it to Costco and saved $$$, then saved $$$ when the Fall Fantasy rates came out, then saved more $$$ a couple weeks prior to sailing I called Disney and asked for a rate for my cruise and it was $300 less, so I had Costco call them and I received a credit on my credit card! I, also, got the $50 postcard credit. We flew in on Thanksgiving – the airport was empty – yeah!. We stayed at the Radisson Friday night. We didn’t really care for the Raddisson. It wasn’t bad for what I paid – around $69.

2) Over the door storage hanger – a MUST. There is very limited counter space in the bathrooms.

3) Food. Ok, I read many threads with different opinions. My husband, my friends who traveled with us, and a few people that I talked to all agreed that the food was average. Palo’s food was awesome (although the chocolate soufflé was just ok to me and I have read that other people LOVE it). The fast food burgers, chicken tenders, hotdogs, and pizza were actually pretty good. You must order the cheese & crackers from room service – it was a great snack. The cheesecake & crème brulee for dessert were very good. I am a Diet Coke addict and did fine without buying a mug. It looked like a hassle to carry the thing around. Definitely, bring pop & bottled water on board and make sure to pack some for Castaway Cay. It was expensive to purchase pop there. Don’t forget that they already add gratuity to mixed drinks. Even though Cornelius from South Africa was always tracking us down to buy drinks & my husband still tipped him on top of the gratuity already added. Cornelius was a lot of fun. In fact, he asked us where we were from and then told us he met another couple from the same town. Well, it turned out that the guy & my husband were on the same softball team and we had mutual friends! Small world. Make sure to tip Cornelius – he was a lot of fun. I didn’t gain a single pound and my husband gained 4 pounds.

4) Shows. I read mixed review about Hercules. My kids loved it. Yes, it was corny, but it was funny. Variety Show – the ventriloquist & the guy who played the guitar were hysterical. We did not get a chance to see them in the bar, so make sure you do because I laughed sooooo hard. Who Wants To Be a Musketeer – sit in the back near empty seats. If the seat they pick is empty, they will go to the seat to the right until they pick a person. Bingo – must do it on the last night, the pot was big - $2,000 or close to that. It was cool that they offered so many movies in the theatre, but it was weird not to have popcorn & to feel the boat move! Match Your Mate – very funny.

5) Cabin. Darwin from India, our cabin person, was outstanding. Made towel animals & just had a cheerful mood. It was fun meeting so many people from different countries. Yet, it was kind of sad to know that the ones we met were on the ship for 6 months and then only went home for 2 months. Darwin hadn’t even seen his 1 ½ month old baby yet. I know our server at Palos had 3 or 4 kids. I just don’t know how they do it. I hope Disney pays them really well. Everyone we met was VERY nice. We had a Cat 11. Several people told us to get an inside room because you are never in yr room except to sleep & change clothes. Well, we were in our room A LOT. My daughter got sent home sick from school the day before we were to leave! She had the stomach flu. She was better the next day, but my other daughter got it cruise day 2, 3, & 4. Then my other daughter got is back on day 5. Thank goodness we were able to get a stroller from guest services & push my daughter through St. Thomas. I am sure my 6 yr old looked ridiculous in the stroller, but she was too weak to walk, to sick to go to the club, and we paid too much $$ to miss St. Thomas! If we had a verandah, at least we could have sat outside and watched the waves & got fresh air. We only dinner once as a whole family. My husband and I took turns eating with the “healthy” daughter and then bringing food back for each other.

6) Pools. Very crowded! I could not believe that the pools were so small. My husband was actually bold enough to move some towels from a chair that was unoccupied for a while, so I could have a seat. There are a lot of lounge chairs just left with towels. At Castaway Cay I did see people holding hammocks with clothes. It didn’t matter to me because there was so much to do that I didn’t want to lay in one.

7) Ports. St. Martin – I only saw the shopping area and did not like it. We were constantly asked about braiding, taxis, tour a hotel, and my husband was offered “ganja” which we think was something not good. St. Thomas – loved it! Loved the shopping, flea market, and Megans Bay was beautiful. If you go there, take an “open-air taxi”. The trip up the mountain was fabulous. We actually walked back from town to the boat, so if you want to save a few $$ you can hoof it like us – personally, we did it to burn calories.

8) Characters. They were everywhere! I had read that some people had a hard time seeing them. It is listed on the navigator when & where you can find them. I only mention this because I heard a lady yell at a CM because he stopped the line for one of the characters. Her child was fine with missing the character, but the lady was complaining about not seeing very many of the characters at all. Well, lady, even Mickey Mouse has to sleep sometime – read your navigator.

9) Shutters. We had a ton of pictures taken. Why are they so expensive - $20 & $10. I would have loved to buy more, but it adds up so fast.

10) Sea Sick. I did okay on the boat, but was soooo surprised that it took my husband and I 4 days to recover afterwards. My equilibrium was off. I was dizzy and felt like the ground was rocking. I spoke to other people who had this too after a cruise.

11) Cruise Chat Line. Ok, why am I still surfing it?? It is soooo addicting.

Overall, it was a nice trip. The September 11 crisis, the kids being sick, and us being on a budget affected our trip. I thought for sure that I would re-book while on the cruise, but I think that maybe cruising isn’t for us. Our cabin was too small for 4 people in there for 7 days and being sick, we felt like we were on a tight schedule trying to do everything, we didn’t like “dressing” for dinner every night & trying to get the kids presentable too, and then we spent a lot of time waiting in line for characters for pictures & autographs, we felt dizzy for several days after, and the food was not that great. Please, please, do not blast me. This is only our opinion. I know that there are a lot of people who LOVE the Disney Cruise. We are just more “land” people, but still LOVE Disney. I have never been on another cruise, so cannot really compare it to any other. Was surprised at how much our bill was the last day. I thought I pre-paid for our cruise, but I felt like I was constantly paying for something; which I realize was totally my choice – smoothies, drinks, autograph book, shirts, hats, food before the shows, spa, Shutters, hair braiders, and I was constantly tipping someone – the Cabin guy for changing our bedding after my DD got sick, room service, spa people, luggage people, taxi drivers, plus all the servers. Again, you can limit your spending, but it is difficult.

Final words - It was well maintained – people were constantly cleaning, painting, etc, the atmosphere was great – very family oriented, there was a lot to do, and every CM was very nice. I do highly recommend the Disney Cruise, but once is enough for us!

Thank you for your trip report, I enjoyed it. Must've been really hard wth sick kids!! I will be sure not to miss the Variety Show and we loved Hercules too when we saw it before, but opinions are mixed it seems.

What did you not like about Radisson?? Anything particular or just not impressed?? We are booked there too but I have thought about changing to another hotel.

BTW, the room stewards and servers are not paid very much by DCL, they depend on tips. I agree, they work so hard I could not believe it when we would see our servers working at breakfast and lunch as well as our late dinner seating. what a long day!! and the room stewards too work so hard for so many hours. I don't know how they do it.

"Ganja" is marijuana, that happened to my DH in Nassau, just appproached on the street like that, amazing!! I have heard it is a fairly common occurence, just say NO, as we have heard before.

How long did it take to walk back from town to the ship in St Thomas?? I don't mind walking myself if it's not too bad of a walk.

Well, thanks again for sharing with us.

marybarbara60102 - How did you get a rate of $69 for the Radisson!! We are going in March and decided to budget and rent a car from MCO and drive to the Radisson the night before so we can get an early start at the Terminal. We picked the Radisson because it has an AVIS rental in the hotel (read that hear on the boards) and a shuttle to the terminal. Now maybe I am thinking on getting another hotel, drop the car off at AVIS and get their rental shuttle to the terminal (that's if they offer a shuttle at AVIS). We got a rate of $99 (one night stay floribbean rate from online) - is that good?

The price on the Radisson dropped 2X since I originally booked it. The $69 or was it $59 rate was an internet special that I read on these boards.

I know that a lot of people stay there. I might get blasted for this, but I thought the room was dingy & old. The outside was like a tackey, pinkish, Florida hotel. The pool area is very nice. Yes, you can see the boat from the far back of the hotel. The pizza place next door was pretty good.

If you do stay there and use the Avis shuttle after the cruise. Here is a hint: My husband & I patiently waited for the Avis shuttle to take us back to get our rental car. Well, we had 6 bags of luggage. People would run to the Avis shuttle even though we were clearly ahead of them in line, but could not move fast enough with all our luggage & 2 kids - very rude. We did see people hop on the Radisson shuttle to go to Avis, but again we were to slow. Finally, my husband hopped on some other rental car shuttle and paid the guy to drop him at the Radisson & then he got the rental car & picked us up. So, just send one person on either the Radisson or Avis shuttle & have them come back for you. That would have saved us a lot of time & grief.

It was about a 15 - 20 minute walk back from St. Thomas. We stopped at Wendy's because I was having a Diet Coke withdrawal (I refused to buy the mug & carry it around). We met people in St. Maartin who also walked from the boat to the shopping area in St. Maartin. We took the water taxi, but if we had realized how close it was we would have just walked that too.

That is a good idea about sending one person ahead for the rental car. We will be in a similar situation with 2 adults, 3 teens and plenty of luggage for our 2/23 7-day cruise. We are getting off the ship and picking up a car for the day from Avis and I love your idea!! Sounds like it will cut down on headaches!

MJ

I really enjoyed reading your trip report, thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions with the rest of us. Yes, the cheese & crackers tray from room service was great! We ordered one our first night!! We also used room service quite a bit for early breakfast. They had room service cards in the top drawer of the vanity and you just fill one out the night before and hang it outside your door, and breakfast will be delivered at the time you request. It was great! We ordered coffee, juice, croissants and muffins several mornings about 6:30. Then around 9:00 we'd have our "real" breakfast at Topsiders (fresh fruit, several strips of bacon and another of their delicious croissants for me!). Me too, I'm a Diet Coke addict like you!! I didn't buy the mug either, and really didn't miss drinking so much of it during the day. I knew I could have it at night with dinner (usually had two) and for breakfast I'd just have juice and coffee, then iced tea at lunch, and those fantastic "drinks of the day" in the afternoon!! :D Yes, I think you would have definitely enjoyed a verandah room, especially with sick children. My hubby and I cruised on the Magic last January, to celebrate our 25th anniversary, and it was our first cruise so we wanted it to be very special so splurged on the verandah room and we were not sorry. We spent quite a bit of time in our stateroom, had breakfast on the verandah each morning, sat out there late-nights to "watch the stars" before going to bed, and kept the door open at night so we were lulled to sleep by the ocean sounds and warm, tropical breezes. Plus I'm the type of person that needs "alone time" every day, and I loved being able to sit on the verandah for an hour or so in the afternoon reading. And I'm not much of a "party person" so pulling away from port and watching that happen from the upper deck didn't appeal to me, but it was great to be able to watch from our own verandah. :D You mentioned being bothered constantly in St. Martin, we weren't hassled even once about a taxi, hair braiding, or anything else. I had heard "horror stories" about that happening, so I was prepared but it never happened. Not complaining tho! It took a couple days for us to get our "land legs" back too after the cruise was over. I remember we were checking into the Desert Inn, at Daytona Beach, right after the cruise and standing there waiting for the elevator we both started to swoon! We just looked at each other and giggled!! I'm so, so sorry you don't want to cruise again but like you said, cruising isn't for everyone. Maybe you'll want to try it again after your children are grown and on their own. We never cruised until our 25th anniversary, and we can hardly wait to go again! We booked another Magic cruise (Western) for January, 2003. We could have gone in 2002 if we'd booked an inside room, but the verandah spoiled me, gotta have it again!! But anyway, thanks again for taking the time to post your report!

Enjoyed your trip report. Must have been tough with sick kids.

I agree with your review of the Radisson. We also got the $59 Expedia special price. We booked several of those rooms and several of the $99 suites for our family of 19. While the suites were nice, they were very dark during the day. Rooms that looked at the courtyard had trees in front of the window and no light at all. The Radisson was also not near anything (except that great pizza place). We drove to the beach, but too cold. Later drove to Ron Jon's.

When we cruise again, I would stay at a hotel near the beach and near Ron Jons and other shopping, drop the car off at Avis in the morning, and use the AVis shuttle. Or, if I had time, I would stay at WDW and go to Downtown disney the night before and drive to the port in the morning.

I enjoyed your cruise report. I am sorry your kid's were sick. What a rough time it must have been in your room. My husband and I have cruised 3 times once with carnival and twice with Disney. Our 3rd Disney cruise is Jan 13th. We had a good first cruise but both said that was it for us. Then we did the Disney cruise and were hooked. I think part of the problem on our first cruise was overpacking, adjusting to small rooms. and not having sea legs.I can't imagine having sick children too. Our cruises just keep getting better and better. maybe in a few years you can try one more time, either way happy vacationing.

Tluvs2Talk -

Just yesterday my kids were begging us to go again. They missed most of the "fun things to do on the cruise", yet they still want to go back. Apparently, they still had a great time even though they were very sick. I still keep surfing this chat line, so maybe, just maybe, we will try it again but maybe opt for a 4 day instead.

marybarbara60102,
Funny how even sickness can't completley Destroy a vacation. I am glad to hear you are considering another cruise. Our first cruise was a 7 day cruise, and I was a little freaked at not seeing land for a few days. I also took dramamine on my first cruise and felt very odd the whole time. I now take nothing when I cruise and am much better. If you would have seen me with all of my luggage the first time we cruised you would have died laughing. I guess I wanted to be prepared like Ginger, maryann, and the rest fo the crew if I was shipwrecked. (ha, ha) Once the luggage was in our room, there was no room for us. I have since done the 4-day and the 7-day and am so much calmer. If we get ressies fine , if not fine. Even if you do cruise again, it may still not be your cup of tea. I just think it takes 2 times to decide. One thing for sure you will always talk about your less than great cruise adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter