10yo in Edge

zeferjen

Mother Knows Best
Hi - I understand that a cruise may allow you to sign a waiver to allow your 10yo to go into the Edge club. Where would this be done? At the embarkation day in the cruise port or do we need to go to the kids club? If it's the latter, would it be right after embarkation or later in the day? Thanks.

Our experience (3 kids) is that they're hard and fast with the 11 year old requirement for the Edge (aside from open house times, of course). Others may have a different experience, but for us, they CM explained that if they let our son ( who was 2 weeks shy of 11) in, then what about a kid 3 weeks shy...and if then, what about a kid 4 weeks shy...and so on. I can see that they have to draw the line. I've never heard of a waiver to get a younger child into the next level up club. Sorry...:sad1:

You can't request it ahead of time. Whether they allow it is very dependent on how many kids they have in the Edge age group. If they already have a lot of kids in the Edge age range, they won't grant the request. If they don't have many in that age group, they may allow it.

If you want to try to do this, go to the Edge on embarkation day with your 10 year old and discuss it with one of the Youth Activities crew members in the club.

You can't request it ahead of time. Whether they allow it is very dependent on how many kids they have in the Edge age group. If they already have a lot of kids in the Edge age range, they won't grant the request. If they don't have many in that age group, they may allow it.

If you want to try to do this, go to the Edge on embarkation day with your 10 year old and discuss it with one of the Youth Activities crew members in the club.

You have to visit Edge in person as mentioned. Our 10 year old was allowed in when we inquired late in our cruise. We wish we would have asked sooner. She loved it and we could have saved a lot of headache over the Kids Club battle.
You get very different answers because the decision is up to the club based on the specific cruise.

Hi - I understand that a cruise may allow you to sign a waiver to allow your 10yo to go into the Edge club. Where would this be done? At the embarkation day in the cruise port or do we need to go to the kids club? If it's the latter, would it be right after embarkation or later in the day? Thanks.
They can be quite flexible on this at Edge. Go to the club upon embarkation, introduce your mature 10 year-old to them, and ask.

In three years and two ships I only saw 2 cruises when we said no to 10 year olds.
Although if you'd have asked me I would have made your kid try the lab first or just said no (sorry, not sorry!).

Now, if it was more like royal, where bump ups are only ever a trail (for any age) and you can send certain kids back to their own age group I would probably have let every 10 year old in...haha.

We weren't able to get a 10 year old into Edge, but we've gotten my 13yo into Vibe with a waiver. Again, as has been said it depends on the load and number of staff. But they were happy to let her in and she really enjoyed it.

Both my kids got into the edge at 10. My son said they no longer allow it. I don't know if that's true or not.

My 10 year old granddaughter was allowed into the edge 4 months ago (November 2017). My daughter signed her up after lunch....there was a time indicated. Though her 12 year old sister was there. They said it depends how many kids they have and on a first come basis.

It can be done, a waiver needs to be signed. Just went through this a week ago on the Fantasy. It's up to the discretion of the youth activities folks.

My 10 year old was allowed in to the Edge on the Fantasy in December - he was 10yrs 6 mos. at the time. We are sailing on the Dream in May, 1 week before his birthday and I hope they will allow him again as he likes it. I personally, wish he liked the Club and Labs better -I think they are so much cooler and have all that great theming -but I'm a middle aged mom so what do I know.

In three years and two ships I only saw 2 cruises when we said no to 10 year olds.
Although if you'd have asked me I would have made your kid try the lab first or just said no (sorry, not sorry!).

Just out of curiosity, why would you have the kids try the lab first. We are headed on the PC cruise soon with 2 10.5 year olds who are hoping to get into Edge,thinking they have a good chance b/c there will be less kids overall onboard. They are a grade ahead in school (5th grade) so socialize with mostly 11 and 12 year olds and have more in common with them versus the 8-9 yearly set. Is there a reason I should discourage them from Edge?

It's a very short, quick form...like a half a sheet with just a few things of note, for you to sign and initial. Talk to the CM sitting at the small front desk of the Edge, explain the situation, be kind, and willing to gracefully take "no" for an answer.

Honestly?
I have a few reasons gathered over the years. It's nothing personal and not aimed at anyone in particular but my observations from working in the club/lab and edge and vibe.
Im speaking as a former CM; apparently every 10 year old is mature...they're often hard work and don't have the social skills for edge, they often don't have a filter and can be inappropriate without meaning to be and it's just draining. As an edge CM your just sorting out petty issues between kids, much more so than the club and lab. Is it all kids? No of course not, some were amazing and you'd think they were way older. And Of course there's 11,12,13 year olds who act a lot younger. I just wish there was something like a one strike rule, you mess up your back down to deck 5, but that would never happen at Disney...

And to be honest, it was the entitlement (90% of the time) that would come across when some parents would ask/demand 'so, my kid is 10 but they're really mature and hang out with 13 year olds every day of they're life and the lab is really babyish, even thought they've not set foot in it, and I paid a lot for this cruise so.....' when that happens multiple times every few days, it's just makes you bored of hearing it.

Is used to really upset me that older edge kids felt they had to age up to vibe when sometimes they didn't really want to but needed a break from kids (at 10, the majority, not all, are still kids, not tweens).
And then there was the older vibe kids that are now over run with younger kids, are you going to allow them to age up into adult areas? Of course not, we've all seen the angry posts if someone even suggests that their 17.5 year old can sit quietly by the adult pool a read a book...

What's the point in having age groups of your not going to stick to it. Just make edge from 10 years and solve the issue....of course then all the 9 year olds would want to come.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything again 10 year olds, I know it's sounding that way. My issue is with Disney lol.
I truely feel disney need to sort their age groups out, it's one of the reasons I left, but in my opinion 10 year olds in the teen areas isn't the answer.

However, PC and TA cruises would be the ones that I wouldn't mind bump ups, the whole ship has a completely different atmosphere, and the clubs are quieter and nicer having some kids around than none, but if you get ones that are hard work, you have time to mould/break them lol. Just don't expect them to be constantly entertained on the longer cruises in edge like they might be in the club/lab, there's a lot of down time on longer cruises, but the kid/Counselor relationship is completely different in a much nicer way.

Ok, flame away :upsidedow

Honestly?
I have a few reasons gathered over the years. It's nothing personal and not aimed at anyone in particular but my observations from working in the club/lab and edge and vibe.
Im speaking as a former CM; apparently every 10 year old is mature...they're often hard work and don't have the social skills for edge, they often don't have a filter and can be inappropriate without meaning to be and it's just draining. As an edge CM your just sorting out petty issues between kids, much more so than the club and lab. Is it all kids? No of course not, some were amazing and you'd think they were way older. And Of course there's 11,12,13 year olds who act a lot younger. I just wish there was something like a one strike rule, you mess up your back down to deck 5, but that would never happen at Disney...

And to be honest, it was the entitlement (90% of the time) that would come across when some parents would ask/demand 'so, my kid is 10 but they're really mature and hang out with 13 year olds every day of they're life and the lab is really babyish, even thought they've not set foot in it, and I paid a lot for this cruise so.....' when that happens multiple times every few days, it's just makes you bored of hearing it.

Is used to really upset me that older edge kids felt they had to age up to vibe when sometimes they didn't really want to but needed a break from kids (at 10, the majority, not all, are still kids, not tweens).
And then there was the older vibe kids that are now over run with younger kids, are you going to allow them to age up into adult areas? Of course not, we've all seen the angry posts if someone even suggests that their 17.5 year old can sit quietly by the adult pool a read a book...

What's the point in having age groups of your not going to stick to it. Just make edge from 10 years and solve the issue....of course then all the 9 year olds would want to come.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything again 10 year olds, I know it's sounding that way. My issue is with Disney lol.
I truely feel disney need to sort their age groups out, it's one of the reasons I left, but in my opinion 10 year olds in the teen areas isn't the answer.

However, PC and TA cruises would be the ones that I wouldn't mind bump ups, the whole ship has a completely different atmosphere, and the clubs are quieter and nicer having some kids around than none, but if you get ones that are hard work, you have time to mould/break them lol. Just don't expect them to be constantly entertained on the longer cruises in edge like they might be in the club/lab, there's a lot of down time on longer cruises, but the kid/Counselor relationship is completely different in a much nicer way.

Ok, flame away :upsidedow
I'm not going to flame you, but to say it was entitlement 90% of the time? I'm sure there were a lot of parents that asked nicely, signed the waiver and just went on their way. I never had to beg, bribe, demand or even mention my child's maturity or lack of it to get them in the Edge. Honestly it was never an issue.

Thank you for your very insightful reply @bbel , its great food for thought. To be honest one of the reasons we chose PC (along with the EIGHT sea days) is for the fewer kids. Our first cruise was on the Fantasy, and it was amazing, but 2,000 kids was overwhelming. Our next was Alaska, which had fewer (but still a lot) and we liked it a lot better. I'm really looking forward to that 'laid back' 'relationship building' aspect of the PC cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter