1000 shows?

dwbrewster

Just Goofy
I was listening to yesterday's show, #999 and Pete commented they have been doing the show for 12 years. From what I am finding online it has always been a weekly show, and while I am sure he is right I am missing something - 52*12=624.

I guess what I'm wondering is how are we getting to 1,000 if we have only had 624 weeks since it started and it comes out weekly. Does the Disney Land show or any other Dis show count towards the 1,000 count?

Thanks, luckily I can ask dumb questions since I'm not on John's payroll.

OK, I looked through the archives because that is what I figured but after 2012 it was hard to look year by year. In 2010 and 2011 (I think) I saw a few times that the Disneyland show is in the archives and figured those may have counted. I guess multiple shows a week must have happened sometime after 2012.

***Edit***
OK I get it now. If I look back in March the video shows of the resorts that they did for a week straight each count as one show. So the 1,000 count isn't necessarily with the full group and counts things like resort and restaurant reviews.

Thank you for entertaining my question!

Last edited:
To completely clarify, when the show first started in 2006 it was one show a week. In the summer of 2007, they expanded to multiple shows a week - pretty much one discussion and one email show, a Universal Show for a very short time. From this point until December 2008, the episode numbers were duplicated, so if there was a discussion and email show released the same day or week, they'd both have the same episode number. This really throws off the count and in reality we are somewhere over 1,000, but I still haven't finished up the final count due to how much time it takes. In 2010/2011 things really expanded and even more shows were done a week. For instance, February 23, 2011 had 4 episodes released including a News show, Wild Africa Trek Review, Horseback Riding Review, and a Universal Mardi Gras show. Another example is March 9/10, 2011 where we had a News Show, ESPN the Weekend, Flower & Garden segments all release on the same day and then separate interviews with Jack Lindquist and Becky Cline release the following day.

Fast forward to 2013 when we went to video, the format we chose to run with was a News show plus 2 segments that we would record after we were done with news. This became very tiring to do 2.5-3 hours of live shows a week, so we then dropped it to 1 segment after the News show, and after Dustin's departure we ultimately decided to shuffle things up and drop the extra segment, but still match that content in shows produced under other feeds - Best & Worst, Dining... as well as vlogs. So now we are down to 1 show in the feed a week that goes towards the episode numbers, with the exception of events like 7in7 or special one off episodes that we've done in the past, like the Disneyland Hotel interview or our longer look at Pandora, that can't be squeezed onto the tail end of a news show and deserve better treatment.

Someone add this to the official DIS archives.

989e684fa333a4c45968c49854e86994.jpg

To completely clarify, when the show first started in 2006 it was one show a week. In the summer of 2007, they expanded to multiple shows a week - pretty much one discussion and one email show, a Universal Show for a very short time. From this point until December 2008, the episode numbers were duplicated, so if there was a discussion and email show released the same day or week, they'd both have the same episode number. This really throws off the count and in reality we are somewhere over 1,000, but I still haven't finished up the final count due to how much time it takes.

That is true, but my recollection was that these segments were broken into separate files for ease of listening. Doesn't it inflate the numbers if they are then counted separately? That being said, I can't believe how many great shows have been put out there!

I miss the email shows. They were often funnier than the regular show. Some were wonderful, with Bob saying he would send one of his “Will Robinson” pins to a young person who asked about it. It was one of Bob’s last shows.

That is true, but my recollection was that these segments were broken into separate files for ease of listening. Doesn't it inflate the numbers if they are then counted separately? That being said, I can't believe how many great shows have been put out there!
I would say the question of the additional shows inflating the number definitely depends on how you look at it. Initially I thought it was the 1,000th full panel show, which it clearly isn't - so from that perspective yes. BUT, the DIS team has put out well more than 1,000 episodes of content and I enjoy almost every episode I listen to.

Sorry, if this is taken at all as diminishing the accomplishment of 1,000 episodes!

I was listening to yesterday's show, #999 and Pete commented they have been doing the show for 12 years. From what I am finding online it has always been a weekly show, and while I am sure he is right I am missing something - 52*12=624.

I guess what I'm wondering is how are we getting to 1,000 if we have only had 624 weeks since it started and it comes out weekly. Does the Disney Land show or any other Dis show count towards the 1,000 count?

Thanks, luckily I can ask dumb questions since I'm not on John's payroll.

I’m late to this party, but was thinking the exact same thing. I can recall back in the audio days, they skipped weeks sometimes multiple weeks frequently. Most of the time, if they didn't have the whole team together, they'd skip the week. They seem to always skip the weeks before and after Christmas and many of the other holidays as well. I got to the point that I begged Kevin to put a sticky out there to let us know if and when they were actually going to have a show each week.

Last edited:
I’m late to this party, but was thinking the exact same thing. I can recall back in the audio days, they skipped weeks sometimes multiple weeks, ALL of the time. If they didn’t have the whole team together, they most of the time skipped the week. They almost always skipped the week before and after Christmas and many of the other holidays as well. I got to the point that I begged Kevin to put a sticky out there to let us know if and when they were actually going to have a show.
Correct, like I said I think it really just boils down to the fact that at first glance it seemed as if it was the 1,000th episode of the weekly show, but it's really the 1,000th episode of what I would refer to as "DIS-weekly show content". I guess that just gives us reason to celebrate again in a couple of years if we celebrate that as well - we probably just need a volunteer to count :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter