$100 bills, do you see them often, do you use them?

I avoid using $100s due to the counterfeits. Most businesses refuse anything higher than $20s. Plus it’s a pain trying to break a $100 bill. A new trend that’s been happening is limiting cash back at the self checkouts and cash registers.

If I go to the bank to the actual teller, I don't care what the bill denomination is, I am going to use it.

The thing is, if your $100 bill is lost or stolen, it is gone. If my credit card info has become comprised, I can usually get it straightened out.

Also, the rewards as someone mentioned upthread.
True....
But I am very discreet with cash.

I use them often.

Burning-Money-cropped-572x364.jpg

I avoid using $100s due to the counterfeits. Most businesses refuse anything higher than $20s. Plus it’s a pain trying to break a $100 bill. A new trend that’s been happening is limiting cash back at the self checkouts and cash registers.

Like I mentioned early, a lot of businesses like gas stations have no choice but to accept $100 bills. A lot of customers are coming in in trucks and SUVs and buying 30 or 40 gallons of fuel at almost $4 a gallon. To step up security to catch counterfeits many have purchased those machines that scan the bills.

My parents are total cash. I had to pickup something for my dad and it was $150. I was assuming he'd just write me a check to pay me back. Well he hands me a $100 and a $50. It was a pain. We're basically cashless here so I had to remember to spend it at the grocery store, which was the easiest.
But now when we go on vacation and take cash it's always 100's and maybe about $100 in smaller bills. We are usually spending money on higher price admissions so we aren't getting a lot back in change. It also makes the wallet not so thick. Even though we do CC in everyday life to rack up points I put everything into Quicken and it's just too much pain in the butt to bring home a weeks worths of receipts and put into Quicken (and I don't like the auto download feature).

There are a lot of security features on paper currency, but I wouldn’t expect a Girl Scout cookie table to have a currency book handy to verify. Even then it can be faked, so it’s a lot to ask to have a UV light and a bill counter that catches fakes (and even those can be fooled).

Most businesses do not want to deal with cash, nor do I.

Of course they’re happy to deal with smaller bills, to lessen the transaction fees. Small risk to take.

My in laws always gift us a few hundreds for Christmas. We keep a few out, and deposit the rest into the bank.

I deal with $100 bills all the time, and used to keep $100 bills at home for emergency situations, but then I read somewhere that you should have small bills for emergencies as they will be easier for you to "barter" with. In an emergency situation, others will not have change for your $100 bills! Now I keep a little bit of cash as 100's, but mostly, 20's through 1's in the emergency stash. Our Chase Bank ATM gave me a $100 bill once, a few months ago, but not since. We are 90% credit card users, but do need cash sometimes.

I see them all the time as part of my job. I am pretty good at spotting counterfeit bills by touch before checking any of the other security measures on the bills. I have also had the pleasure of coming across some very old bills, the oldest of which was a $50 from 1929. That is always interesting.

I prefer using cash for the little things. I can’t imagine having to balance dozens of credit or debit card transactions, like using my credit card at the soda vending machine at work. Working with numbers is what I do at work. I want to keep things simple at home. But I don’t typically use hundreds-I am more of a tens and twenties kind of person.

Interesting question. We're not big cash-users in everyday life and when we do, it has come from a bank machine which here only dispense $20s. We'd have to make a special trip into the bank to get $100 which we never do. Now when we're travelling and go in to get USD, they always want to give it in the largest bills possible. At some branches you will actually have to pre-order any quantity of small bills.

Most of our banks need advance warning if you’re going to convert money.

Most of our banks need advance warning if you’re going to convert money.

Somewhat related question.

I still have some Canadian $1 and $2 bills. Are they still accepted at stores? Or would one need to trade them in at a bank for loonies and toonies?

Not that I intend to do so. I'm keeping them as souvenirs.

I still have some Canadian $1 and $2 bills. Are they still accepted at stores? Or would one need to trade them in at a bank for loonies and toonies?

I have have $150 in Canadian paper currency. A little bit of it mine left over from my last trip there in 2012, most of it I found at my mom's house when she passed away. She was Canadian by birth and went to visit frequently. I'll shoot my cousins in Canada a note and ask. In the past they said to hang onto it as a collectible.

As far as I can remember they are still legal tender. You may get a millennial who looks at you funny if you try to pay with a $1 bill though lol

I know that they tabled a motion to take them out of circulation last year (in the 2018 budget), but I don't remember the outcome. However, if they have taken them out of circulation, you can, as you note, exchange them at the bank for their face value.

As far as I can remember they are still legal tender. You may get a millennial who looks at you funny if you try to pay with a $1 bill though lol
Got a note back from my cousin. He doubts anyone under 35 has seen paper currency, but it is still legal tender.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!