10 Disney movies in 10 weeks

DLgal

DIS Veteran
Ok, here's the situation. You are taking kids to WDW who have only seen a VERY SMALL handful of Disney movies (mostly Pixar ones). You will have ten weekends until the trip and the kids have agreed to watch one movie each weekend (these kids generally don't watch many movies or TV so it's a big deal that they are into this idea). The kids have been to WDW 4 times and Disneyland countless times. I'd like them to have a better idea of where all these attractions and characters come from, LOL.

What 10 Disney movies do you choose?

The kids are boys, 13 and 12. Probably not interested in princess movies. They have seen Snow White (and were bored out of their minds).

Thinking of their ages and current attractions, I would for sure do Pirates of the Caribbean and the Star Wars movies (or at least one of them and see how that goes over? Ha I am not a movie/tv watcher and had trouble sitting thru them too so maybe they'd be bored out of their minds!) I'd also make sure they've seen Toy Story- I'm assuming they have. The live action (non-cartoony) version of Alice in Wonderland might have some appeal?

We're planning to do something similar and try to do some "Theme Nights" around the movies (dinner, crafts, movie.... we'll see how ambitious I get), as my kids have also only seen a few. They're younger though, so we need to do all the princess ones, cartoons, etc. So far, we did Toy Story and they loved it.

The younger one has seen all the Star Wars. The older one couldn't care less.

They have seen all the Toy Story movies already. Also Frozen.

Pirates is a good idea! We own the first one (although they hate that ride, haha!)

We are starting today with Incredibles (so we can go see Incredibles 2 during our trip...it's an 11 day trip)

I was thinking:
Peter Pan
Lion King
Beauty and the Beast (?)
Little Mermaid (?)
Dumbo
Pinocchio (?)
Aladdin
Lady and the Tramp
Tangled (?)

Are you only wanting Disney movies that actually have rides or characters at the parks or just Disney movies in general that they might like?

I think Lion King is a great option. Possibly Peter Pan or Pinnochio. I personally wouldn't think boys that age would want to watch movies like B&tB, Tangled, LM, Aladdin, Lady & Tramp because they are rather girly/princessy.

My choices would be:
Lion King
Pirates of the Caribbean
Fantasia 2000
101 Dalmations (I'd do non-animated)
Jungle Book (I'd do non-animated)
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc
A Bug's Life
Fox and the Hound

Some other options:
A Goofy Movie
Tarzan
Ratatouille
Cars
Wall-E
Wreck it Ralph
Meet the Robinsons
The Haunted Mansion movie
Brother Bear
The Country Bears (I've heard it isn't very good though)
Tron

I would just wonder about doing too many animated movies given their ages. My brothers and nephews all seemed to lose interest in most animated movies around 9 or 10.

Are you only wanting Disney movies that actually have rides or characters at the parks or just Disney movies in general that they might like?

I think Lion King is a great option. Possibly Peter Pan or Pinnochio. I personally wouldn't think boys that age would want to watch movies like B&tB, Tangled, LM, Aladdin, Lady & Tramp because they are rather girly/princessy.

My choices would be:
Lion King
Pirates of the Caribbean
Fantasia 2000
101 Dalmations (I'd do non-animated)
Jungle Book (I'd do non-animated)
Finding Nemo
Monsters Inc
A Bug's Life
Fox and the Hound

Some other options:
A Goofy Movie
Tarzan
Ratatouille
Cars
Wall-E
Wreck it Ralph
Meet the Robinsons
The Haunted Mansion movie
Brother Bear
The Country Bears (I've heard it isn't very good though)
Tron

I would just wonder about doing too many animated movies given their ages. My brothers and nephews all seemed to lose interest in most animated movies around 9 or 10.

Kids are autistic and pretty immature for their ages. They still like cartoons. And they LOVE dogs which is why I thought Lady and the Tramp...

There is a movie called "Song of the South". This movie is blend of cartoon and live action. The "Splash Mountain" ride at Magic Kingdom is based on this movie. HOWEVER, this movie is currently not sold in stores. It's an old Disney movie that takes place in "the old south". The movie came out in 1946. We did find a high quality DVD of the movie on-line. You would have to order it on-line to get it, so it might not be something you want to mess with, but in my opinion, it does enhance the enjoyment of The Splash Mountain ride.

What are your boys favorite rides? Which rides do you love, but they don't seem to appreciate? I would focus my attention on the movies related to both of those areas...Or you could go in a completely different direction and focus on the history of the parks and the development of the rides. Maybe compare and contrast the rides in WDW and DL. YouTube might be a good resource if you wanted to go in this direction. Some of the videos are shorter than a movie too. (One of my boys loves movies, the other loses interest if something is over 30 mins.)

Thinking of rides...I would say Lion King and Peter Pan are good ones. I personally like 101 Dalmations, Robin Hood, and Tarzan even though there is no ride or attraction associated with these two movies. I also really enjoy Treasure Planet again no ride or attraction but I enjoyed the movie.

What are your boys favorite rides? Which rides do you love, but they don't seem to appreciate? I would focus my attention on the movies related to both of those areas...Or you could go in a completely different direction and focus on the history of the parks and the development of the rides. Maybe compare and contrast the rides in WDW and DL. YouTube might be a good resource if you wanted to go in this direction. Some of the videos are shorter than a movie too. (One of my boys loves movies, the other loses interest if something is over 30 mins.)

Oh, they spend HOURS watching Disney related ride videos on You Tube.

I guess I want to expose them to, first and foremost, good story telling. They don't like to read books or be read to (anymore) because their reading skills are very low. So, I want to show them Disney movies so they can make connections to their theme park experiences and also be exposed to some good stories.

Something outside of the box to suggest----maybe pull up some videos of the rides on YouTube. We did this for my youngest (2.5 at the time) and he loved some of the rides and even fireworks because he had seen them and was a little familiar with them. As we are talking about our next trip, he is asking to pull up those videos again to share with his younger brother (now 2.5 years old too). Just a different way to get them excited about their upcoming trip.

Something outside of the box to suggest----maybe pull up some videos of the rides on YouTube. We did this for my youngest (2.5 at the time) and he loved some of the rides and even fireworks because he had seen them and was a little familiar with them. As we are talking about our next trip, he is asking to pull up those videos again to share with his younger brother (now 2.5 years old too). Just a different way to get them excited about their upcoming trip.

Not really necessary. They have been on almost all the rides. I am looking more for teaching them the background stories.

These kids have been going to Disneyland about twice a month since they were born (almost 14 and 12 years ago). They are VERY familiar with the rides. :)

So if I had to limit to 10 and thinking with boys in mind, I'm going:

Peter Pan
Lion King
Pirates of the Caribbean
Toy Story (3 is my favorite but can't go wrong with 1 or 2)
Star Wars
Aladdin
The Muppets (watch the show in Liberty Square, excellent!)
Finding Nemo
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Tough to limit to 10 but I like your idea!

Some additional suggestions...

Bolt (Super Dogs)
Lilo and Stitch (Stitch is like a dog)
Oliver and Company (Dogs the musical)
Lion King Trilogy (If they like first one)
The Emperor's New Groove (Llama Prince)
Tangled (Not your typical Princess movie)
Moana (An adventure movie, not a princess movie)
Hercules (Fun soundtrack with male demigod)
Mulan (Tiny dragon friend)
Zootopia (Animal world)
The Little Mermaid (It's the best Disney movie. Maybe they'll warm up to it after a bunch of other ones?)

Last edited:
There is a movie called "Song of the South". This movie is blend of cartoon and live action. The "Splash Mountain" ride at Magic Kingdom is based on this movie. HOWEVER, this movie is currently not sold in stores. It's an old Disney movie that takes place in "the old south". The movie came out in 1946. We did find a high quality DVD of the movie on-line. You would have to order it on-line to get it, so it might not be something you want to mess with, but in my opinion, it does enhance the enjoyment of The Splash Mountain ride.
I guess I need to look online to find a copy of this movie. I was too young to see it when it was last in theaters, and Disney has never released it on VHS or DVD in the US.

I got my copy from Great Britain.

I have twin DD & DS who are 11 and these are the ones I would suggest:

Little Mermaid
The Incredibles
Aladdin
Finding Nemo
Lion King
101 Dalmatians
Peter Pan
Hercules
Wreck it Ralph
Cinderella (DS laughs out loud during this movie- scenes with the mice & cat)

There are several older Disney movies that I wouldn't necessarily recommend because there are some pretty bad racist and sexist stereotypes. Song of the South and Peter Pan are the ones that come immediately to mind.

In no particular order - and with a focus on storytelling:

Moana
Big Hero 6
Coco
The Incredibles
Inside Out

Also, the MCU has some really terrific storytelling. If you don't want to get into the MCU *too* much, these are terrific, and can each be watched indpendently if you want:
Black Panther (coming out on video in a week - it's sort of a standalone story so you don't have to have seen all the ones before)
Captain America
Spider Man: Homecoming

There are some references in Spider Man: Homecoming and Black Panther to Captain America, Civil War, but then you'd have to watch all the Capt. America movies in order too (which may be another thing, but hard to do in 10 weeks).

I'd like to add Swiss Family Robinson. A second for Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day, any Muppets, Up, Finding Nemo, The Lion King, Sword in the Stone, Jungle Book. If you want to do America stuff - Johnny Tremain.

I second Swiss family Robinson and would also add the 3 caballeros and the reluctant dragon. They both show some "behind the scenes" aspects of animation that are pretty cool.

My 10(in no particular order)
1. Peter Pan
2. Pirates of the Caribbean(the first one)
3. Swiss Family Robinson
4. Toy Story
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
6. Star Wars Episode IV(if they haven't seen it,) Really any Star Wars Movie
7. Lion King
8. Bugs Life
9. Finding Nemo
10. A lot of Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, etc... Shorts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter