10 cents for a bag

My family just got to California last week for a 3 month assignment. The bag thing was a shock at first. I'm coming around. For one thing, that 10 cent bag is a bag you can actually expect to keep everything contained in your walk home. The disposable bags I'm used to are often less than worthless.

As for the 7-11 situation, if they sell bottled wine they probably have paper sleeve bags they will give you to keep bottles from clanging together.

It's not really that bad. Just bring a canvas bag with you everywhere you go. There are small ones you can fit in your pocket that expand. Sometimes I forget, and yes, that usually means I have to buy one, but the perk is that some places give you a small discount ($0.05 or so) per bag you bring with you. Plus, I kind of like trying to avoid polluting our already messed up environment.

It's definitely been a law for awhile now in several parts of the state. State law a bit over a year (November 2016 was when it was voted in I think?). It actually was supposed to go into effect even earlier, but it was halted back in 2015 from what I recall. Since I live in an area that was among the first to have the ban, I've been dealing with it for a long time and the dates blend together a bit.

This is a good illustrative reason why I usually research local laws when I'm going somewhere out of my area so I don't get surprised. Like needing to know it's illegal to pump my own gas in Oregon. Or that I can't bring cherries back into Cali (you have no idea how much this pains me if I've been up to Washington during Rainier cherry season). Or that my cat has to have certain vaccination records (there are some cities/counties in Cali that even require cat licensing, but mine isn't one of them) even though she isn't required to have them at all where I live.

I'm sorry to hear you were taken by surprise by this law :(, but it's definitely a law and they are required to charge you at minimum 10¢/bag. I can sympathize with the shock, though, of a charge you weren't expecting even if it was only 20¢.

Honestly? I'd rather the cost just built in somewhere. I hate having to guess the number of bags I'll need. Or even bring them in with me. I generally just do the "loose in the cart; bag at my car" mentioned by others so I don't have to carry bags in with me.

Good travel tips, Kender!

One easy way to deal with this is to ask for one or two clear plastic bags at any shop in the parks, then keep those folded up in your purse, pocket, or backpack throughout your trip. Those clear park bags are really sturdy, can be reused over and over, and last for a long time (we've had our current ones for at least two years now). And, in a pinch, the bags make good seat covers on water rides (like POTC!) when you are wearing a nicer outfit.

So does the no bag law apply to Disneyland? It didn't sound like it from what was posted earlier.
It's grocery stores. Sadly it includes Walmart and Target. So you go Christmas shopping and buy Jr. A big gift and will have to hide it in a sheet because they no longer have any bags. It doesn't apply to stores that don't sell groceries like Macys, etc. And so it doesn't apply to Disneyland either.

I've been using reusable bags for everything for 5 years now so I'm thrilled that there are places that have adopted these laws. I'm actually surprised there are people who haven't heard about it since it's national news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter