1 year & 40 days until my 40th birthday!

KY*Figment

DIS Veteran
Hi! I am 38 years old and my 40th birthday is October 12, 2013. I am 100 plus pounds overweight. I couldn't run the length/ width of my property and my house sits on a 5th of an acre. I have tried anything and everything to get healthy but never last beyond a month. I have even posted things on Dis but NEVER followed through. I am the leader of the diet quitters & the exercise drop outs. So, why is this time different? I don't know; I just hope I succeed & don't fail miserably. What's driving me? My dad had a stroke at the age of 42, he survived & is 95% recovered but I know a woman's odds of survival or recovery isn't as good as a man's. I have two daughter's ages 10 & 8. They are active but I can see where my oldest is going to repeat my behaviors if I don't get it together. She isn't overweight but her poor eating habits are starting to get worse rather than better and her physical activity isn't as zealous as it once was. My youngest dh has bad eating habits but she still plays with great enthusiasm. Then there is my dh. Great man & we are celebrating our 12th Anniversary today. We have been celebrating with......FOOD and no activity. He agrees we have to do something. He doesn't know I'm writing this but I'm sure he will because he is a Dis junkie! I hope to make myself Dis accountable! I will put on my calendar to do a brief post each day to keep me motivated & accountable. Feel free to join me!

My goals are overall big so I have to break them down. I have listed them below but not in exact order.

1. Lose 20 pounds
2. Lose another 20 pounds (grand total of 40).
3. Complete race running not walking.
4. Lose another 20 pounds (grand total of 60).
5. Complete a 10k.
6. Lose another 20 pounds (grand total of 80).
7. Complete a 10 mile race.
8. Lose another 20 pounds (grand total of 100).
9. Complete a 1/2 Marathon.
10. To stay motivated!

On Monday, I plan to get groceries. I also plan to walk at least 2 miles and do at least two 10 minutes sessions of Tony Horton's 10 minute trainer. God help me!

I bought groceries, today. Food is high. I didn't buy desserts or convenience foods other than the kids lunches such as pudding cups. I cut up all the produce lots of produce. So the week should be okay. I grazed while cutting the veggies. I have the veg cut up for stir fry tomorrow and rice cooked to fry. I cut a hug watermelon up so dh will eat it instead of something not as healthy. He gets home from work earlier than me so he snacks. Let the work week begin.

Sounds like a great start! I think having healthy food all prepared and ready to go is so wise. My advice is to do some exercise every day. Not just activity but exercise. Could we walking, biking, home exercise, weights, just anything that gets you sweaty. Even 20 minutes is good. Even when sick. YOU CAN DO THIS! pixiedust:

Oh, I would also chunk down your goals a bit smaller - say 1 BMI point? That would be about 6-8 pounds. 20# might take awhile and you should celebrate all the smaller steps along the way.

Oh, I would also chunk down your goals a bit smaller - say 1 BMI point? That would be about 6-8 pounds. 20# might take awhile and you should celebrate all the smaller steps along the way.

Thanks for the advice & encouragement! It is very much appreciated!:thumbsup2

I ate healthy all day & exercised! We had homemade hibachi veggies & fried rice for dinner! Very good. DH loved it.

I've lost 3 pounds....bring on the banana split. Just kidding. Okay, the thing I am missing in getting healthy is sleep. I haven't been getting enough. I am very tired.

I just wanted to pop in and say you can do this! I started and stopped dieting and running so many times it is ridiculous! In January 2010 I decided there would be NO MORE QUITTING. A bad day is just a bad day. It is NOT a reason to quit. A bad workout is just a bad workout. It is not a reason to quit. I schedule my exercise in an excel spreadsheet and if it is scheduled I start it. I had a rule when I was losing weight that if it was schedule I had to show up and exercise at least 5 min no matter what, and if I just couldn't finish then I could stop. I think over a year period I might have stopped once or twice. Sometimes just starting is the hard part.:goodvibes

I don't know where you are in KY, but Louisville has a lot of races in the spring, and Lexington has a great 10k on the 4th of July. We have run it for the last 3 years and it is one of my favorite races.

You don't have to be perfect. I think we think we have to be and that's why we stop. You just have to keep trying. And you are right, not overeating does stink sometimes. And being hungry stinks. But I can honestly say after maintaining for 2 years, that it is beyond worth the effort to be healthy, thin and fit!

Good luck!:goodvibes

I just wanted to pop in and say you can do this! I started and stopped dieting and running so many times it is ridiculous! In January 2010 I decided there would be NO MORE QUITTING. A bad day is just a bad day. It is NOT a reason to quit. A bad workout is just a bad workout. It is not a reason to quit. I schedule my exercise in an excel spreadsheet and if it is scheduled I start it. I had a rule when I was losing weight that if it was schedule I had to show up and exercise at least 5 min no matter what, and if I just couldn't finish then I could stop. I think over a year period I might have stopped once or twice. Sometimes just starting is the hard part.:goodvibes

I don't know where you are in KY, but Louisville has a lot of races in the spring, and Lexington has a great 10k on the 4th of July. We have run it for the last 3 years and it is one of my favorite races.

You don't have to be perfect. I think we think we have to be and that's why we stop. You just have to keep trying. And you are right, not overeating does stink sometimes. And being hungry stinks. But I can honestly say after maintaining for 2 years, that it is beyond worth the effort to be healthy, thin and fit!

Good luck!:goodvibes

You are very sweet! Today, was tough to focus time for me exercise but I was plenty active w/ the kids. Funny, you brought up scheduling it. I have decided to put it on my calendar! I did put on excel the 5k's along w/ goals. Love excel.

I pack my lunch for work but have decided I am going to have to on weekends because I am on the go. Today, I didn't eat great but I did better than soccer seasons of the past. I kicked myself and then said tomorrow I will eat better.

I am in Owensboro. I'm walking the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Evansville, IN on 9/22 w/ my dad & oldest daughter. We have a 5k in Owensboro on 12/1 so the plan is to walk/ run it along w/ the local St. Patrick Day then BBQ Festival. Then I hope to do one of the races in Louisville around the derby festivities. DH is from Louisville and in laws still live there. DH is a St. X and UofL grad. My cousin ran one at the zoo and loved it. I graduated from EKU so my hope is to run the Homecoming 5K as my birthday gift in 2013. I have looked at 5k & 10k in KY to keep me motivated.

I will have to check out the one in Lexington. I really like Lexington so what a great excuse to go!

Thanks for the encouragement!

I thought Sunday was a day of rest. I have picked a child up from a sleepover, went back to the house because oldest dd neglected to pack her dirty clothes up, go supply shopping, take dd's to Religious Ed, grocery shop, pick up at Religious Ed, feed everyone, soccer (dh there all day as ref & coach), come home to get ready for church, now I am going to church, then home to prepare supper, and somewhere in their I exercised. I need to go to work for some rest. :rotfl:

Home today w/ allergy/ sinus pressure induced migraine. Slept most of the day away. Apparently, our cat Kobe does not understand anyone in our house sleeping past 6 because she carried a piece of food into my bed to crunch loudly. Then when that didn't work she poked me w/ her paw repetitively. I may take her chunky butt on C25K.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter