1 week in phoenix area? after 1 week in Scottsdale

Ted in Halifax

Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!
Okay, I arrive in phoenix on June 30th and have 1 week in Scottsdale at JW Marriott Camel back and then Westin Kierland resort. But then I have one week left .... Last year from Phoenix we went to the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley and then Montrose Colorado and ended at Jefferson Colorado, before heading back to Phoenix through Alb New Mexico.

This year, we decide on one week in Scottsdale, but where can we go for another week? We have 2 adults and 2 kids (9 and 10).

I've thought Vegas, but we aren't gamblers and lightly clad women will not sit well with my 9 year old daughter ... she watches my eyes ... :confused3

I still have lots of time and have considered Disneyland, but think the cost of the passes may be too much ... Figure and extra grand.

We have never been to California or Nevada. Thoughts for a family one week .... I can drive long distances ... it goes with being Canadian :sad2:

Any thoughts ... I hear San Diego is nice?

Might I suggest going north towards the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and into Utah for Zion and Bryce National Parks. It was a great road trip for us last year.

California would be another nice option. San Diego is a short 6 hour drive from the Valley.

It depends on what you want to see. National Parks, beaches, zoos, etc.?

You could drive up to Sedona, Flagstaff, up to Mesa Verde in Colorado and on to Durango where you can take the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad up to Silverton.

After two weeks in the Phx area in the summer, you'll be ready to cool off. I would suggest San Diego. Lots to do -- the zoo, Wild Animal Park, Sea World, Legoland. The beach is too chilly for some people, but since you're from Halifax you might enjoy it.

We usually don't drive through Tucson on the way to San Diego, but if you have the time to go a bit out of your way, the Sonora Desert Museum is fascinating. In the morning. Before it gets too hot.

I wouldn't go through Tucson to get to San Diego, but Tucson could definitely be done as a day trip from Scottsdale.

Two weeks in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in summer? Yuck!! lol Not exactly a vacation place that time of year! I live in Phoenix and work in Scottsdale!

San Diego is a great place. Great beaches, Sea World is a ton of fun, San Diego Zoo is HUGE, San Diego Safari park, Legoland for smaller kids, Whale watching and many museums in Balboa park. Visit Old Town for great shops and Mexican dining. The drive is about 6 hours with not much to see along the way except perhaps the massive dunes west of Yuma.

True that Disneyland is quite expensive for tickets. However, 5 miles away is Knotts Berry Farm. No longer a farm, it is a large amusement park with an old west theme. Tickets are a fraction of the cost of Disneyland. Universal Studios 45 miles to the north is also worth it if discount tickets are available online or elsewhere (seasonal).

Absolutely San Diego! It's where all of us Arizonans go for a break from the summer heat!

Here is my itinerary for our trip in July (following 5 days at Disneyland, hence the Saturday itinerary):

San Diego
Saturday: Spend the day at Universal Studios and then drive to SD via Highway 101
Sunday: Day at the San Diego Zoo
Monday: Mission Beach, Belmont Park, check out the WaveHouse
Tuesday: Day at SeaWorld
Wednesday: Drive to La Jolla, stop at the Cave Store, get in some beach time and enjoy Children’s Pool, check out Torrey Pines.
Thursday: Check out Seaport Village and then to Coronado for some beach time and lunch, check out the Hotel Del Coronado. Alas, head home about 3pm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter