1 Day San Diego to DLR On Train, am I crazy!!

I just wanted to check back in with my travel experience. I took the train from the downtown San Diego train station to the Anaheim train station. I took the Pacific Surfliner’s 5:55 AM train. The train was on schedule. I rode in Business Class both ways to guarantee myself a seat, which was good as the car was completely full by the time we had gotten to Anaheim. Most of my fellow passengers were business commuters, heading to Los Angeles. I took a Lyft to the Paradise Pier Hotel, went through security near the ESPN zone. I was at the Disneyland gate by 8:35, had no wait to get in. I waited for “Rope Drop”, at the hub. My return trip was great too. I took a Lyft from the GCH to the train station. I took the 8:54 PM train, which was on time too. I was able to wait inside the train station until the announcement came over the load speakers that my train would be arriving soon. You want to make sure you’re paying attention to the boarding information so you don’t miss your train. This train was fairly empty. We were on time, until we had to stop briefly to let a freight train pass us by. I arrived at the downtown San Diego station a bit late, maybe 15 minutes, but that was fine. I took a Lyft to my downtown hotel. It was a great day! I was in the parks for over 10 hours, which was plenty of time to do what I wanted. I actually rode the train home with a woman who lives in Oceanside, and takes the train often to Disneyland. I would do this again if I ever had the opportunity.

Glad it worked out so well for you, nice to hear back how it went. Sounds like you had a great day!

NICe! What did you do in the parks? I can’t remember if this was your first time there...

I rode a few rides, the requisite holiday overlays, and my other favorites. I bought a latte’ and strolled the park, took time to enjoy being there, something I don’t get to do too much of. I shopped :) too. I had a few treats:rolleyes1. I watched the Dapper Dans, the parade, performers in DCA, the bell ringers at the GCH, things like that. It was a marvelous “bonus” day for me. I’m so grateful to have been able to go, especially during the holiday season. It will be awhile before I return, so I mostly tried to soak it all in. Thank you for asking!

Last edited:
I rode a few rides, the requisite holiday overlays, and my other favorites. I bought a latte’ and strolled the park, took time to enjoy being there, something I don’t get to do too much of. I shopped :) too. I had a few treats:rolleyes1. I watched the Dapper Dans, the parade, performers in DCA, the bell ringers at the GCH, things like that. It was a marvelous “bonus” day for me. I’m so grateful to have been able to go, especially during the holiday season. It will be awhile before I return, so I mostly tried to soak it all in. Thank you for asking!
Sounds like a perfect day.

Glad you had a great time!

Just out of curiosity, where did the Lyft driver meet you at the Grand? Were they allowed to the porte cochere, or did you wait on the sidewalk?

Just out of curiosity, where did the Lyft driver meet you at the Grand? Were they allowed to the porte cochere, or did you wait on the sidewalk?

We took uber from the Grand and they pulled up on the farthest side of the driveway from the hotel entrance. We saw many uber and lyft cars and they all pulled up on that side. This was just this past weekend Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. Hope that helps.

OP, so glad you had an awesome time!

I waited right at the Porte cochère. The bellman knew what I was doing, and had no problem letting me order my Lyft there. This was a Wednesday during very off season (end of November) so I wasn’t causing undue congestion. Maybe during busy times this would not work?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter