1 day in Sequoia

Nalshersmom

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone :) We will be spending 1 day in Sequoia next month, and I am trying to plan to maximize my time. This will be our first time in the park, and it is hard to figure out a good plan even after looking at maps and listening to the day 6 podcast numerous times. We are spending the night before in Visalia and have already purchased a 1 year park pass. My plan is to stop at Hospital Rock, head to Crescent Meadow to see Tharp's Log, and then climb up Moro Rock. Next we plan on heading to Giant Forrest and visiting General Sherman. We will then head to San Francisco to spend the night ( I think 3.5 hrs away). Does this sound like a good order? Thank you!

Sounds OK. Moro Rock doesn't take too long. The General Sherman Tree is pretty close to the parking lot, so that doesn't necessarily take too much time. On the way out, Grant Grove and the General Grant Tree would also be pretty quick.

My personal favorite is the [edit] Redwood Mountain Grove. It might take longer than the other sequoia groves, but it's possible to do a quick out and back in just an hour. It's a far different experience than the other sequoia groves. It's actually the largest sequoia grove anywhere. None of the trees have signs with their names, and the trail is 100% unpaved. It's legal to get off the trail and get right next to the trees, which isn't legal where there's any pavement. It's up in the northwest corner just before reaching Grant Grove.

SEKImap-360-degree-Panoramas-Icons.jpg

Also - the only place to get fuel once you get inside is at the Stony Creek Village gas station, unless you're going to Hume Lake which is going way out of your way if you're heading for San Francisco. That's in the Forest Service area between Sequoia NP and the disconnected portion of Kings Canyon NP. Honestly the division between Sequoia and Kings Canyon is pretty arbitrary. They have a single management and a single superintendent. Even the Forest Service areas are more or less managed together.

Last edited:
Redwood Canyon Grove is also our favorite place in the area. Hart Tree and Fallen Goliath Loop is one of our favorite hikes in the area. However, with limited time I think you'd be happy with The Congress Trail or nice hike around Crescent Meadow (Tharp's Log) and take a spur trail deeper into the forest for some variation of scenery. Best chance of seeing bears will be in Crescent Meadow we've found.

Redwood Canyon Grove is also our favorite place in the area. Hart Tree and Fallen Goliath Loop is one of our favorite hikes in the area. However, with limited time I think you'd be happy with The Congress Trail or nice hike around Crescent Meadow (Tharp's Log) and take a spur trail deeper into the forest for some variation of scenery. Best chance of seeing bears will be in Crescent Meadow we've found.

When I was in Crescent Meadow two years ago we saw five bears (including mother & two cubs) and two more bears in Log's Meadow by Tharpe's Log. We saw three more bears on our walk/hike from Tharpe's Log to the Sherman Tree. :) This was in July. Last year, we went to Sequoia in August - not one bear, but lots of deer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!