1 day at Univeral with HP fanatic - time for anything else?

adelmanjen

Earning My Ears
We will be spending a single day at Universal with a park-to-park ticket (so we can ride the Hogwarts express). My 10 year old is a Harry Potter fanatic and we are going primarily for the Wizarding World experience. Will there be time to do anything else or will we need the whole day just for HP stuff? How much HP stuff is in the Islands park?

Thanks!

Take a look at the map of the parks on Universal Orlando website. This will orient you to the 2 Potter parks.

Are you staying onsite?

If you are choose RPR, HRH or PBH. All these resorts offer unlimited Express in your stay which is good for the day you check in and the full day you check out.

The Potter rides now have Express.

Hogsmeade is located in Islands Of Adventure. There are 2 rides located in Hogsmeade. Forbidden Journey and Flight of the Hippogriff (small coaster). You pass Hagrids Hut in line for this coaster.

Diagon Alley is in Universal Studios

There is a Ollivanders wand show in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. I like the show in Diagon Alley better.

Buy a interactive wand of of your child's favorite character. This way your child will be able to do the magic spells with the wand at numerous sites in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

The only ride in Diagon Alley is Escape from Gringotts. Both Potter parks are very immersive. I think Diagon Alley is incredible.

Make sure to have some Butterbeer.

Have a bite to eat at Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade and a meal at Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley.

If you are not staying onsite make sure to be there at rope drop to get the most of your day.

Ride Hogwarts Express both ways as it different each way.

Thank you! Super helpful!! We are not staying onsite, so we will get there early. Thanks again!

Be pulling up to park an hour before opening.
The HP areas get crowded (shoulder to shoulder in Hogsmeade) like 12-5. Eat early (by 11:30) then explore other parts of the park midday. Don't try to do Hogsmeade midday; explore Diagon Alley instead if you really need all day for HP.

One day is doable / warning: you kiddo will want to shop! I couldn't really figure out why my son wanted to hit the stores so badly, but there is so much to SEE in the stores it's phenomenal. Merchandise of course but detail after detail. Constellations on ceilings. Movie props. Cool and quirky details. Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes alone is just over the top accurate. Plan to be doing this between rides and sips of Butterbeer, it's totally part of the experience! People wear wizard robes, too, so buy that in advance or bring it... we waited until the second day to get one (very pricey at the park!) and it just added to the fun. We also brought a pair of Harry specs from a Halloween costume and lots of people commented (never saw these to buy). By the end of the two day trip, my son could identify every character's wand and whom it belonged to because he studied them before deciding what to bring home as a souvenir for his sister (next budding HP fan in the house!). If your son is a huge fan, I recommend Shutterbuttons. It's a photo/video experience you can do by acting out short scenes on a green screen. Then you get a cd with moving 'wizard/style' photos. So cool and a great keepsake... someone told us about it and I planned on it otherwise I might not have done it. I usually purchase Photopass at WDW, so this is what I did at Universal instead of getting their ride photo package! Have an amazing time! I can't wait to go again (yeah... I'm a HP fan too, read all the books when my son did!).

Heading to HP next Saturday for one day just to do both HP lands for my daughter's 18th birthday. We will be in Jacksonville for a work event on Friday. Driving down at 4am to Orlando in hopes of getting there by park opening. We have park hoppers. We have been to Hogsmeade before but have never to Diagon Alley and Hogwarts Express.

Do the studios first as they will close at 5

Switch to ioa later in the day and they will be open later for Saturday

What a great way to celebrate your daughter's bd!

Hope you have an easy drive and fantastic celebration

Get her a celebration button at guest services when you get there

Do the studios first as they will close at 5

Switch to ioa later in the day and they will be open later for Saturday

What a great way to celebrate your daughter's bd!

Hope you have an easy drive and fantastic celebration

Get her a celebration button at guest services when you get there

This is related to a question I have -

We are going for one day, week of 10/1, and I'm trying to pick the day. We are staying off site, and will have Park to Park tickets.

My question - I believe HHN is on the day I'm looking at (Wednesday, 10/4), so that means Studios closes at 5:00, correct? We won't be going to HHN.

We are mainly there for HP, and whatever else we can fit in.

Should we pick another day because of the early closing, or can we get everything we want in at Studios before HHN and then spend the rest of the time/evening (if we are still going then) in IoA?

I am thinking Tuesday would be best
Could be lower crowds?

I'll be at UO oct 1-13

I plan all day in the parks for Tuesday

Wednesday would be my second choice for all day both parks visit

I'll be at ioa Wednesday then move to the studios at 3, and hit hhn that date

If Wednesday is better for you, do the studios first and hope to ioa on the HE

You could spend a lot of time doing Potter from 2:30 to closing time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter