1/2 marathon 2008 - newbie!!

klh-or

Portland, Oregon
I have signed up to walk the 1/2 marathon with two friends and my 18-year-old daughter. We are all overweight and out of shape. We started the 1/2 marathon training program from Weight Watchers Magazine in January, and we're all making progress. Now, when I say we are overweight, I mean 100 pounds plus. We are far more concerned about the time than the distance of the 1/2. Right now, we are all at a comfortable 20 minute mile for 3-4 miles. We still have 8 full months to go, and with persistent training and weight loss, I'm optimistic!

Three of us are from the West Coast and one from Iowa, and this will be the first trip to WDW for any of us. So, this is really a BIG adventure for all of us!

I've been reading posts about the WISH Team and would love more info about that. Also, anybody here who is in a similar situation....quite overweight but working toward completing the 1/2 marathon....I'd love to "talk" with you. If you know if any threads that might answer a lot of our general questions, I'd appreciate those links.

(PS: I'm doing WW flex, walking outside and on a treadmill for exercise/training.)

Hi there!!

There is a big group of folks on this board training for the races this year on the events and competition board:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

I would highly encourage you to join in our weekly threads over there. They are full of lots of encouragement and lots of veterans who can help answer lots of your questions. They are really a fantastic group and they certainly helped me to all of my finish lines.

Feel free to PM me any questions you might have!
Hope to see you there!
Kevin :earsboy:

Welcome to WISH!

You have found the best place to be for your training. If you have WW questions there are a lot of folks here using WW program. I believe they have quite a group on one WW thread.

Also as suggested by Kevin, please stop over to the Events side of the WISH forum for an action packed adventure as you train for the half.

There are all ability levels so please don't feel that you should not join in. Everyone is welcome and new people especially bring memories and pleasure as we all go back in time.

Come often and post lots! We need everyone to make it a spectacular time.

I've wanted to start this thread for a few weeks now!!

I am so overweight, and out of shape its not even funny!! But I so love Disney - its a dream, and gives me smiles!! Dh, not so much... he has run marathons, he last summer completed his dream of climbing Mt Ranier - he also has heart disease in his family, and isnt in the best shape he can be in, he is encouraging, and fun to be around...

and I challenged him to run the marathon Jan '08 and I'd run the half!! He took me up on the challenge, so we are both working at trying to get ourselves in shape..

Only I HATE RUNNING, I hate hate hate jogging... part of it is the :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc part of it is my couch potato lifestyle - I like reading, I like watching reality tv... I LOVE PIZZA (esp when I make it homemade!!)

so I started with the WISH board in trying to lose weight, a friendly Utahmama started a "Disappearing Peeps..." and invited us to help her and yourself to lose weight... ALL are welcome to jump in, introduce yourself, and you will immediately be encourgaged and supported!!
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1273475&page=933

someone posted about a 5K in Jan '08.. but for me, that's just a good day shopping, or a typical Disney day in the parks... so I thought I should challenge me... and here I am..

But its been really really hard.... and on the running team thread (they are AWESOME btw - so knowlegable, so encouraging, so helpful!!) well, I felt so out of shape!!

So each day I ran, I composed starting a new thread where I could "blog" or find others starting their first half... their goals, is there anyone else out there like me??? ( I have a 21 yr old, and a 19 yr old, and a "surprise" 10 yr old - I'm old!!)

so thanks for starting the thread - do join us on the main WISH thread on the "Disappearing Peeps" thread!!

Sandy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter