1-1/2 Days in Yosemite in July

2DoubleFives

Earning My Ears
Would love advice or recommendations for our time in Yosemite next month. We will be driving from Cambria the morning of the 10th and staying in the park (Curry) that night. Our plan is to spend the entire day of the 11th in Yosemite as well, and stay in Oakhurst that night before driving to LA on the morning of the 12th.

We are a family of 3 (DS is 10, we are in out 40s), in pretty good physical shape, but don't want to do any strenuous hikes. What would you recommend we do the afternoon/evening we arrive, and what would you save for the next day when we can get up early and hit some of the beautiful spots before everyone comes pouring in?

I've also been told that there is good pizza at Camp Curry? Can anyone confirm this? :)

I just got back from a weekend in Yosemite. :) (and I live in Los Angeles)

On the afternoon you arrive, after checking in at Curry Village, take the shuttle over to Yosemite Village. They have a wonderful visitors center there that is worth visiting. The store there is also the best one for any souvenirs you may want. You might also take the shuttle to Yosemite Falls (if there is any water left) for a 5-minute walk to the base of the falls. If it's still early in the afternoon, you might want to take the trail from Yosemite Falls to Yosemite Village. There is a cemetery there, in addition to the interesting visitors center.

If you like bike riding, you might rent bikes at Curry Village and explore the valley on the 11th in the morning, or in the afternoon, after a day of sightseeing. Another option you might want to do is go early to Glacier Point. The views from there are spectacular, and not to be missed. There are a couple of easy trails you can take from there. You might want to hike to Sentinel Dome and/or Taft Point from Glacier Point, or from the trailhead along the Glacier Point road (shorter hike). You will get good, but different views, and you will already be at the top, so they will be moderate/easy hikes. Do not miss the drive all the way to Glacier Point. Right before you get there you will see Washburn Point - stop there, too, before Glacier Point. :)

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/glacierhikes.pdf (scroll down for hike descriptions)

You should leave early in the day on the 12th (not at the crack of dawn, though), and give yourselves some time so you can enjoy a short visit to Bridalveil Falls before you leave the valley, then stop at the Pioneer Center at Wawona, about 15 minutes before you hit the park exit. When you get to the exit, keep going straight and visit Mariposa Grove. You can hike/walk there, or take the tram to a spot in the grove, and walk back to the parking lot (that's what we usually do).

Enjoy - Yosemite is gorgeous!

MaryJo is right, it is beautiful. Hopefully there will still be enough water for the falls. Be sure to bring binoculars as you can see all the hikers who climb and they sleep on those tiny little ledges. Yikes! The drive is very winding. I am terrified of heights , just to let you know. But once you arrive you won't be disappointed.:thumbsup2

Thanks so much, Mary Jo and usnuzuloose, for the great tips! I really appreciate the information.

I have only been to Yosemite once - as a 2-year-old LONG ago - so I am so excited to see it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter