“You’re My Favorites: Now Go Away!” Feb/Mar 2019 First Family Trip (Complete 8/19)

Or Christmas Card worthy! ;)

Haha, maybe. :-)

I love that raspberry macaroon! I want this for our breakfast one day when we are staying at the yacht club in August.

Hey, what's the point of having APs at YC if not to go into Epcot to grab breakfast???

Only in Disney but I STILL carry wipes with me in Disney. Not sure when I stopped at home. They do come in handy!

Maybe I'll stop carrying wipes when my kids can eat an ice cream without wearing it. So, what's the, college? 😉

it's kind of long too, isn't it?

It was really long. If you want to do that and Voices of Liberty, you're looking at nearly an hour long commitment.

I love this pic! Again perfect size for 3 gals.

That thing was huge! I think they have them at the Joffrey's kiosks in MK now, too, so there's probably one on the docket for August.

Park Day Seven: Epcot (cont’d)

On our way back past Italy, we saw a PP photographer with no one waiting.

qT8E5RYl.jpg

USzaQ67l.jpg

As you can tell, we were a bit sweaty and windswept. 😊

In Germany, we headed straight to find kidcot station and the pressed penny machine. We were making our way toward a 3:10 concert. During our visit, the band at the Germany was Groovin’ Alps, who play on a variety of unusual instruments including using ladders and wooded spoons. We decided to use the band photo as our picture for the country as well.

BeXcojsl.jpg

e34TNJRl.jpg

We were all getting a little hungry and, if you’re in Epcot on the DDP, a stop at Karamell-Kuche is mandatory, right? The line wasn’t quite to the door, and it was moving, so we decided to go for it. About ten minutes later, we picked six snacks between the five of us, including a caramel apple, popcorn, and several of the candies with chocolates and nuts. From there, Hubby took the girls to try to find a table while I went to use one of our snack credits at Sommerfest on the Nudel Gratin. Despite the line looking short, it was another ten minutes to get that food as well. In the interim, Hubby had found a seat at the picnic tables out by the lagoon. While I was ordering, the kids tried the caramel apple and decided it was too chewy (they were wrong, it was delicious!). The girls worked on the mac and cheese while I sampled the sweets. I think the milk chocolate caramel with sea salt was my favorite, but it was all incredible. I love caramel that is super soft and rich, so it was just my style.

We packed up and continued around to our next show of the day.

VtbSZdsl.jpg

We saw the 4:10 performance of the Chinese acrobats and it was much thicker crowds than anything we’d done so far. I don’t know if they are extra popular, or if it’s just that more people make it from Future World down to WS as the day goes on, but it was tight. After an impressive show, we grabbed a photo and visited the kidcot station.

WlAhoFBl.jpg

On our way out, we did a little souvenir shopping. At recommendations from Dis (I’m pretty sure @StarWarsMomofGirls! suggested it), each of the girls picked out a parasol and the CMs then wrote their names in Chinese on them. There was a bit of a headache as the last one in the color that C picked had a hole in it. The CMs had to go to another area in the pavilion to get additional supplies before they could make hers. Rather than carting it around, we had it sent to the giftshop by the IG entrance to pick up on our way out. On our way in that day, we had stopped in that shop to press a penny and ended up picking out a Christmas ornament, so that would make two packages waiting for us upon our departure.

It was 4:37 and our FP window was open, so we continued our travels. Our original plan at this time was pretty tight. We were going to try to leave China immediately following the 4:10 acrobat show, visit Anna and Elsa, ride FEA on our 4:30 FP, and make it to a 5:25 Akershus reservation. With the ADR out of the way, we instead opted to visit the prettiest bathrooms in Epcot and hang around a bit for the Vikings’ next set at 5pm.

tY2i5Zwl.jpg

Initially, the girls were in no way interested in this picture. I don’t think they knew what Vikings were so, when a dude came out in armor and I encouraged them to go pose for a picture, they were skeptical. If you look carefully at the picture, you can see that, while the acquiesced, they still didn’t get particularly close for their shot. 😊

From there, we tapped into our FP and were riding along about 10 minutes later.

vUzORTCl.jpg

I love this photo because none of the kids are sure about what’s going on. For an animatronic dark ride about a child’s movie, this has a surprising kick! After enjoying the ride, we found the kidcot station and pressed penny machine. Then, we obviously had to meet the royal ladies of Arendelle themselves. On the way, we bumped into their topiaries first. When we stopped to take pictures, the girls were initially worried. They thought, when I said we were going to meet Anna and Elsa, that I was talking about the display! Upon reassuring them that we were going to meet actual princesses, not just plants, they wanted to pose like the topiaries.

Garjg8Nl.jpg

We got into line at 5:24pm with a 35 minute posted wait. The Royal Sommerhus was really cool, with lots of interesting details, but the girls were too tired to take much of it in. I had booked throwaway tier 2 FPs earlier in the day, so I was able to pick up 6pm and 6:25pm Soarin’ in the FEA line. I brought it up to everyone and the girls vetoed that suggestion. A wanted to ride Test Track again, B wanted another go on FEA, and C landed on TT as well after some back and forth. After not much refreshing, I had the FPs lined up as follows: FEA 7:35 Hubby and B, TT 7:45 A and I, TT 7:50 for C. I tried a bit to get Cs earlier, but eventually gave up when the kids started getting whiney about the wait. I wanted a little more lead time to get us through TT and back to a spot to watch Illuminations, but I figured that Hubby and B would finish up in plenty of time to get us a good spot even if A, C and I were sneaking in at the last minute. FPs figured out, we still had a little while to kill before our meet. Thank goodness for our character encyclopedia, as it once again kept not only our crew but a good chunk of the line entertained until it was time for our meet.

gIzhKvwl.jpg

fDerv9hl.jpg

n8x1aWml.jpg

qa2LQBpl.jpg

Anna saw the girls’ dresses and asked if they were coming to Arendelle for a ball, which quickly turned into dancing lessons. I believe they were doing The Reindeer.

tRUuMU4l.jpg

NW0whs4l.jpg

IOszpabl.jpg

When we switched over to Elsa, she started talking about how hard it is to dance with Olaf because he has to remember to keep his nose in. Both sisters were incredibly charming and fun to meet, well worth the wait. When we entered the line, it was posted at 35 minutes and took us just under 30 to get through. When we were done, Hubby took the girls to the bathroom and I grabbed a few more treats for us to share.

66ANP6Pl.jpg

2Mp69R2l.jpg

The school bread wasn’t nearly as sweet as I was expecting. It was denser and with spices that would make it a good contender for an Epcot breakfast, especially if one’s RD goals included FEA and the meet & greet. The troll horn was more what I was expecting, fluffy and sugary. The girls liked both, but neither was a favorite.

The next stop on our country tour was the only pavilion we had already visited. One our first Epcot day, we had already enjoyed the Gran Fiesta Tour, pressed a penny, and visited kidcot. Since we now had to fit in dinner and FPs before Illuminations, we opted to just get a quick picture and keep going.

uKPAPNKl.jpg

Between Mexico and Canada, there were a few topiaries that the girls wanted pictures with, so we stopped for a photoshoot.

UEIG6pUl.jpg

8xjWwNRl.jpg

At this point, our country tour became focused on just getting our pennies, pictures, and passport stamps and moving on. The last two pavilions didn’t have any specific entertainment we were trying to see and it was clear that the girls were going to hit a wall soon. They had crossed over into goofy exhaustion, where they start to get extra squirmy and have trouble focusing on what we’re actually trying to do. They would ask for pictures with something, but then couldn’t stand still and smile at the camera long enough for us to take them.

VQeIaLRl.jpg

qbtG3Z9l.jpg

Case in point: we took the bear picture right on the way into Canada which I figured would count for our country picture. We had to search a bit for the pressed penny machine and, upon finding the totem, the girls immediately requested another photo. Over a dozen pictures later, that’s the closest I have to them all smiling for the camera.

In the UK, we went for the classic phone booth photo to finish out the night…

UDHmfMxl.jpg

… but the girls requested another in front of a fountain.

svxt241l.jpg

9vMmKfMl.jpg

They were being so goofy that they nearly all went tumbling down. Miraculously, they managed to catch themselves before they fell in, but I officially shut down the shoot at that point. Another woman there even said she was impressed because she though that was ending with at least one kid falling in the fountain.

We completed the full country sweep at 6:50pm and stopped by the hedge maze to regroup. While the girls ran through the maze a half dozen times, Hubby and I worked out the action plan. We would get QS dinner, split up for our respective rides, and meet back up on the bridge between the UK and France to watch Illuminations. After offering up food options for the kids, we ended up with a repeat of our first night’s dinner. I stayed in the UK to get fish and chips for the girls while Hubby went ahead to Mexico to get another order of nachos and a margarita. At 7:10pm, we were back eating at La Cantina and everything was as delicious as we remembered.

After eating, I took A and C over to Test Track while Hubby finished up the nachos with B. Since we had a longer walk and a longer ride, I needed to get moving but he had a little time to relax. Of course, B said she had a bathroom emergency immediately after we left, so he had to chug the remaining margarita and take her into the pavilion to use the restaurant bathrooms. They then rode FEA, picked up an order of churros, watched some of the rock band in the UK, and found a spot on the bridge to wait for the fireworks.

qxSi4wyl.jpg

Meanwhile, I left Mexico using the cut through past the Odyssey building so that we could all have a bathroom break before the ride. We continued over to TT and the CM let us tap in at 7:42. A and I were in the grace period for our FPs, but they could have made C wait a few minutes for her FP if they wanted to be sticklers about it. The FP wait was much more manageable this time and we were quickly being assigned to our design stations.

The girls each wanted to design their own cars, so I asked the CM about it. He said that he’d assign us to one spot but, if there were stations open once everyone filled in, we could go ahead and spread out. Luckily, there were a few slots left at the end, so each of the girls started designing a vehicle while I tried to pop back and forth reading the directions to them.

I wish I could show you the lovely cars they designed, but such is not the case. With about 90 seconds to go in the design room, A said she had to go to the bathroom. I asked if she could wait, especially considering we had JUST GONE on the way over, but she said it was an emergency. She started doing the squirming-kid-pee-dance while I looked for a CM or a way out. The doors at the end of the room don’t have any handles to open them, so I told her we’d at least have to wait to be let out. The small scene we were making (“But I can’t wait, Mommy!” “You just went ten minutes ago, you can wait another minute.”) finally attracted the attention of a CM who said we could just push the doors to exit. (Seriously, how dumb am I? Just push the door! You don’t need a door knob to push!).

We walked straight through to the next CM in the line and I asked him for the emergency pee exit. After chuckling and telling me he’d never heard it called that before, he showed me a door behind him and explained how to get to the closest bathrooms. I asked if they’d let us tap our FP again, but he said that we could come right back to this door and he could let us back into that spot in line. It wasn’t all that confusing: we went left out of the emergency exit and followed a path that lead us back to the TT entrance, then straight ahead to the bathrooms. What’s funny is that, while the path was easy to find on the way back, it would never draw your eye if you weren’t looking for it. After a very quick bathroom break, we were back in line and ready to ride.

wCxgRU1l.jpg

We were off the ride at 8:10 and headed back into the World Showcase. We found Hubby and B at 8:30pm at a great spot right on the bridge between the UK and France. Since there was time, I snuck down to L’Artisan des Glaces for a treat. Surprisingly, I was the only one who wanted to try to macaron sandwich. Hubby picked a flavor and I let the girls pick two to share between the three of them. There are no trays at this location, so walking things back was moderately perilous, but it was so worth it. The gelato was delicious and it helped the girls stay awake while passing the time waiting for the show to start.

With maybe 5 minutes to go, I remembered that I had Disney glow bracelets with princess beads that I’d found at the dollar store. Of course, the packaging nearly impossible to open so Hubby and I ended up handing them out right as the show was starting. Illuminations is so gorgeous, and we had an awesome view from the bridge. I know that spot can be hit-or-miss depending on how the wind is that day, but it was absolutely perfect for us to see the show and then quickly head out the IG back to our resort.

We stopped to get our packages on the way (I was honestly proud that I remembered, as tired as we were) and the girls were asleep in the stroller before we even made it to the exit. Rather than waking them up for showers, we opted to put them to bed in their dirty clothes and just let them clean up in the morning.

We had a wonderful day in Epcot and I think this was the perfect day in the trip for a late park entrance and a lower key tour around the lagoon. After days of heavy crowds and waiting in lines, waking up late, watching a bunch of shows, and trying lots of snacks was the right way for us to rejuvenate a little. We visited 11 countries, tried 20 snacks, met 4 characters, saw 7 shows, rode 1 family and 2 divide-and-concur rides, picked pearls, and enjoyed a classic nighttime spectacular.

Dining Plan Day 8

Day 8 Actual Spending
Les Halles: $29.48
Kabuki Cafe: $4.82
Joffrey’s: $6.09
Liberty Inn: $24.33
Joffrey’s: $10.36
Karamell Kuche: $31.78
Sommerfest: $4.80
Kringla Bakeri: $9.07
Yorkshire Fish Shop: $16.56
La Cantina: $28.62
La Cantina: $4.82
L’Artisan des Glaces: $21.30

DDP Day 8 Value: $192.03

Total DDP To Date: $2,468.63
Dining Value Above DDP Cost: $353.72

Moderate Splurge Adjustments

I’d like to hope that I would have still let the kids go a little nuts on snacks, even without the dining plan. I’m sure I would have been tougher about the drinks, though, so I subtracted the smoothie, cold brew, and both dinner drinks from the total. I also wouldn’t have gotten quite so much candy if I were footing the bill directly, so I’m going to round and say we would have stuck to a $20 budget at Karamell Kuche if we were out of pocket.

Moderate Splurge Day Eight Estimated Cost (Tax and Tip): $141.52
Moderate Splurge Budget To Date: $1,829.10

You really made the most of your WS day! I am impressed! I love all the pictures of the girls, especially the one with the giant pink donut.

I did the pick a pearl with my best friend in college back in like 2001 and they made it into a small pendant that I still wear all the time. I think that is a great souvenir choice!

Your meet with Anna and Elsa looks like so much fun!

It is really funny how different a trip with all girls vs. all boys is! My boys loved the Vikings, did not want to meet Anna & Elsa, and couldn't care less about picking a pearl. 😆

I love your cost breakdowns on the dining plan versus OOP - very helpful to see! I did a few estimates when deciding to buy the DDP or not, but it's great to see it in real numbers.

Hi! I just wanted to say that I’m loving your TR so far! Your girls are adorable and I’m learning so much for our family trip in January. We are debating doing the DDP, so your numbers is really helping.

This is the first trip report I have read and I am hooked!
I will be going next year at the same time with my kids who will be 5 and short of 3 so that is really helpful!
Following along!!

n our way back past Italy, we saw a PP photographer with no one waiting.

qT8E5RYl.jpg

OMG, their little hand holding is so cute. My heart!

Rather than carting it around, we had it sent to the giftshop by the IG entrance to pick up on our way out.

Is there a reason you didn't send it to your hotel? I guess you guys had a short walk anyways though so might not make much difference!

They were being so goofy that they nearly all went tumbling down. Miraculously, they managed to catch themselves before they fell in, but I officially shut down the shoot at that point. Another woman there even said she was impressed because she though that was ending with at least one kid falling in the fountain.

Chuckling over this, thankfully they didn't fall in!

I love this photo!

We were all getting a little hungry and, if you’re in Epcot on the DDP, a stop at Karamell-Kuche is mandatory, right? The line wasn’t quite to the door, and it was moving, so we decided to go for it. About ten minutes later, we picked six snacks between the five of us, including a caramel apple, popcorn, and several of the candies with chocolates and nuts. From there, Hubby took the girls to try to find a table while I went to use one of our snack credits at Sommerfest on the Nudel Gratin. Despite the line looking short, it was another ten minutes to get that food as well. In the interim, Hubby had found a seat at the picnic tables out by the lagoon. While I was ordering, the kids tried the caramel apple and decided it was too chewy (they were wrong, it was delicious!). The girls worked on the mac and cheese while I sampled the sweets. I think the milk chocolate caramel with sea salt was my favorite, but it was all incredible. I love caramel that is super soft and rich, so it was just my style.
Karamell-Kuche is sooooooo good! We waited WAY too long to try the goodies in here!

At recommendations from Dis (I’m pretty sure @StarWarsMomofGirls! suggested it), each of the girls picked out a parasol and the CMs then wrote their names in Chinese on them.
YEAH!!!

I love this, It looks like they had a blast with Anna

They look so happy!

. They had crossed over into goofy exhaustion, where they start
I know THAT stage! It is a dangerous place to be!

9vMmKfMl.jpg

Oh my goodness! Good for them for catching themselves!

I stayed in the UK to get fish and chips for the girls while Hubby went ahead to Mexico to get another order of nachos and a margarita. At 7:10pm, we were back eating at La Cantina and everything was as delicious as we remembered.
We have done this combo twice now... Perfect

We walked straight through to the next CM in the line and I asked him for the emergency pee exit. After chuckling and telling me he’d never heard it called that before, he showed me a door behind him and explained how to get to the closest bathrooms. I asked if they’d let us tap our FP again, but he said that we could come right back to this door and he could let us back into that spot in line.
Ha! Emergency Pee Exit! Glad to hear that CM let you guys back in.

You had a great end to your Epcot day! I'm really impressed how well you explored World Showcase with your girls.

I LOVE the picture with the Viking! The girls are smiling but they certainly aren't standing too close!
:laughing:

I'm glad you had a great meet with the Arendelle sisters! Anna is always awesome, but it looks like you had a great Elsa, too!

All of your Photopass pictures are great! What wonderful memories.

Loving your TR but especially the financial breakdown. I love having the convenience of the dining plan and never worrying about prices on the trip but wonder how much we could save if we didn't use it.

In Germany, we headed straight to find kidcot station and the pressed penny machine. We were making our way toward a 3:10 concert. During our visit, the band at the Germany was Groovin’ Alps, who play on a variety of unusual instruments including using ladders and wooded spoons.
I love those guys! So much fun!
We were all getting a little hungry and, if you’re in Epcot on the DDP, a stop at Karamell-Kuche is mandatory, right?
Well, duh!
Upon reassuring them that we were going to meet actual princesses, not just plants, they wanted to pose like the topiaries.
Of course they did!
The school bread wasn’t nearly as sweet as I was expecting. It was denser and with spices that would make it a good contender for an Epcot breakfast, especially if one’s RD goals included FEA and the meet & greet.
That’s not a bad idea! I’ll have to keep it in mind for a future trip!

On our way back past Italy, we saw a PP photographer with no one waiting.
Great picture!
While I was ordering, the kids tried the caramel apple and decided it was too chewy (they were wrong, it was delicious!). The girls worked on the mac and cheese while I sampled the sweets. I think the milk chocolate caramel with sea salt was my favorite, but it was all incredible. I love caramel that is super soft and rich, so it was just my style.
I love those caramels too and seriously thought about getting one this week but it was just too hot to snack.
I love this photo because none of the kids are sure about what’s going on. For an animatronic dark ride about a child’s movie, this has a surprising kick! After enjoying the ride, we found the kidcot station and pressed penny machine. Then, we obviously had to meet the royal ladies of Arendelle themselves. On the way, we bumped into their topiaries first. When we stopped to take pictures, the girls were initially worried. They thought, when I said we were going to meet Anna and Elsa, that I was talking about the display! Upon reassuring them that we were going to meet actual princesses, not just plants, they wanted to pose like the topiaries.
Cute!
We got into line at 5:24pm with a 35 minute posted wait. The Royal Sommerhus was really cool, with lots of interesting details, but the girls were too tired to take much of it in. I had booked throwaway tier 2 FPs earlier in the day, so I was able to pick up 6pm and 6:25pm Soarin’ in the FEA line. I brought it up to everyone and the girls vetoed that suggestion. A wanted to ride Test Track again, B wanted another go on FEA, and C landed on TT as well after some back and forth. After not much refreshing, I had the FPs lined up as follows: FEA 7:35 Hubby and B, TT 7:45 A and I, TT 7:50 for C. I tried a bit to get Cs earlier, but eventually gave up when the kids started getting whiney about the wait. I wanted a little more lead time to get us through TT and back to a spot to watch Illuminations, but I figured that Hubby and B would finish up in plenty of time to get us a good spot even if A, C and I were sneaking in at the last minute. FPs figured out, we still had a little while to kill before our meet. Thank goodness for our character encyclopedia, as it once again kept not only our crew but a good chunk of the line entertained until it was time for our meet.
The girls are troopers!
At this point, our country tour became focused on just getting our pennies, pictures, and passport stamps and moving on. The last two pavilions didn’t have any specific entertainment we were trying to see and it was clear that the girls were going to hit a wall soon. They had crossed over into goofy exhaustion, where they start to get extra squirmy and have trouble focusing on what we’re actually trying to do. They would ask for pictures with something, but then couldn’t stand still and smile at the camera long enough for us to take them.
I can only imagine how tired they must be. You guys had a jam packed day!
We stopped to get our packages on the way (I was honestly proud that I remembered, as tired as we were) and the girls were asleep in the stroller before we even made it to the exit. Rather than waking them up for showers, we opted to put them to bed in their dirty clothes and just let them clean up in the morning.
I've done that with my three when they were younger too.
We had a wonderful day in Epcot and I think this was the perfect day in the trip for a late park entrance and a lower key tour around the lagoon. After days of heavy crowds and waiting in lines, waking up late, watching a bunch of shows, and trying lots of snacks was the right way for us to rejuvenate a little. We visited 11 countries, tried 20 snacks, met 4 characters, saw 7 shows, rode 1 family and 2 divide-and-concur rides, picked pearls, and enjoyed a classic nighttime spectacular.
Sounds incredible....you accomplished so much!

Love all the pics of the girls in the different countries! Sounds like it was a really great Epcot day!!

Thanks! It was a wonderful Epcot day.

You really made the most of your WS day! I am impressed! I love all the pictures of the girls, especially the one with the giant pink donut.

They still talk about that donut. It was a snack highlight of the trip!

I love your cost breakdowns on the dining plan versus OOP - very helpful to see! I did a few estimates when deciding to buy the DDP or not, but it's great to see it in real numbers.

I did a lot of estimates beforehand myself, which is why I wanted to see how things turned out. I actually did even better than I expected, which was great.

Hi! I just wanted to say that I’m loving your TR so far! Your girls are adorable and I’m learning so much for our family trip in January. We are debating doing the DDP, so your numbers is really helping.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I think the DDP with a) lots of character meals, b) kids under 10, and c) adults who enjoy an adult beverage with their meals makes a lot of sense. It worked our incredibly well for us.

This is the first trip report I have read and I am hooked!
I will be going next year at the same time with my kids who will be 5 and short of 3 so that is really helpful!
Following along!!

Welcome aboard! I'm glad it's helping you plan. I know I got a lot of great ideas from reading other trip reports with similarly aged kids.

OMG, their little hand holding is so cute. My heart!

This is one of their go-to picture poses. It's my way of getting them to smush together without actually smushing each other :-)

Is there a reason you didn't send it to your hotel?

Mostly because I'm a control freak. I was worried that, with us only having one full day left before checkout, we might not get it in time. And, like you said, it was such a short walk that it seemed silly to risk it.

Chuckling over this, thankfully they didn't fall in!

They came so darn close to falling in. I can't believe they managed to catch themselves!

Karamell-Kuche is sooooooo good!

Definitely. This was one of my personal snack highlights for the trip.

I know THAT stage! It is a dangerous place to be!

Incredibly dangerous, especially because they can turn from goofy to grumpy at the drop of a hat!

Ha! Emergency Pee Exit! Glad to hear that CM let you guys back in.

I was really glad we were able to get back in, too. It would have been way tight on time if we had to start over.

You had a great end to your Epcot day! I'm really impressed how well you explored World Showcase with your girls.

I LOVE the picture with the Viking! The girls are smiling but they certainly aren't standing too close!
:laughing:
I'm glad you had a great meet with the Arendelle sisters! Anna is always awesome, but it looks like you had a great Elsa, too!

All of your Photopass pictures are great! What wonderful memories.

The girls ended up having a blast exploring WS. I'm glad we decided on a long enough trip to really give us time there without trying to jam it in with the rest of Epcot.

We had excellent Arendelle sisters. It was an incredible meet.

Loving your TR but especially the financial breakdown. I love having the convenience of the dining plan and never worrying about prices on the trip but wonder how much we could save if we didn't use it.

Glad you're enjoying it. The DDP really made sense for us with all of the character meals. I think it can be a great cost savings or a major over-payment- it just depends on how you travel.

I love those guys! So much fun!

It was a really fun show. I'm glad we were able to catch so much of the entertainment in WS, it's all a lot of fun.

Of course they did!

I mean, is there any other way to do it? It took them a bit to figure out how three girls could pose like two topiaries, but they made it work.

I love those caramels too and seriously thought about getting one this week but it was just too hot to snack.

It being cool enough for you to want to snack is a definite benefit of the winter trip!

I can only imagine how tired they must be. You guys had a jam packed day!

The exhaustion of the week was piling on pretty hard. We keep a very strict night schedule at home, so they had quite literally never had their sleep schedules disrupted like this before.

I've done that with my three when they were younger too.

There are just some days where the sleep is more important than the bath. This was definitely one of them.

Park Day Eight: Hollywood Studios (TP Crowd Level Predicted 6 and Actual 8)

It took seven days in Disney, including 4 back to back nighttime spectaculars, but the kids were finally able to sleep until their normal 7am wake up! I was still up early and used the time to look over the plan for the day. The forecast was only a high of 60 with possible rain, so it was going to be a long pants and rain jackets kind of day. Originally, this was only going to be a half park day before we came back to the hotel to let the kids swim while I packed up our things. As luck would have it, our choice to take a swim break on our first HS day coupled with the last-minute decision to do Artist Point meant that we had a full day ahead of us.

The girls were awake soon after seven and it took us about an hour to get everyone showered, dressed, and ready to move. Hubby and I scarfed a quick breakfast, and the girls were able to eat theirs at a more leisurely pace in the strollers on the way to HS. We were through security at 8:30am and headed straight to Jedi Training sign ups. At that point, the line was at least a dozen families, probably more, but moving steadily. The rain started while we were in line, so we needed our jackets even earlier than expected. At 8:40am, we asked the CM for a 3pm slot if it was still available and she chuckled a little and said there was plenty of room. As we finished signing up, the masses were moving toward TSL, so we merged into the back of the pack.

l0VaCJil.jpg

We only had to deal with the crowds for a few minutes before they all peeled off to the Slinky Dog line and we went straight to Swirling Saucers. As soon as we passed SDD, we went from being jammed in to being the only family in the walkway. We were the in line by ourselves at 8:47 and ended up sharing our ride cycle with one other mother-daughter duo.

f01T5LEl.jpg

eqVGVhXl.jpg

We headed straight to TSM and were in line there at 8:56am. There was already a line, but it was moving steadily and we were ready to take aim at 9:12am. This time, I only had A riding with me, so I got to operate my own canon!

RsGlfdil.jpg

We were off of the ride at 9:20am and it was still raining steadily. Our plan was to visit Woody and Jessie next, but I didn’t know where they moved during inclement weather. After asking the CM at TSM, it turns out there is no alternate location for Buzz, Woody, or Jessie; they just don’t meet when it’s raining. Considering that this land was built from scratch with the expectation that it would have popular character greets, you’d think Disney could have put up a few large awnings to not only allow the characters to continue to meet in the rain, but also give them some shade from the Florida sun. Unfortunately for us, I knew that, unless we were lucky enough to head back to TSL right as the rain let up, any attempts to meet the characters later in the day were going to entail a 40+ minute line. Plus, I was hoping to enjoy a Woody’s Lunchbox breakfast while we were waiting, so I also had to say goodbye to s’mores french toast and an adult lemonade. There was nothing to be done about it, though, so we moved on.

Our SDD FP window wasn’t quite open yet, so we hopped over to the restrooms for a quick break. When we got over there, the ladies room line was out the door. Who knew that the longest line of the morning would be for the bathrooms?!? Our FP window was open by the time we were done, so we headed that way. B was being pretty insistent that she didn’t want to ride it again, so we were going to go up to request a RS. Right at the last minute, we convinced her to give it another shot, so we were all able to hop into line together.

This time, we moved quickly through the FP line without chatting with anyone around us, so we didn’t have a chance to try to find a family with an extra adult to help us out. Instead, B would ride with Hubby, A and C would ride together, and I would accompany them from behind. When we got assigned rows, Hubby and B were in the back car (a two-seat car) and we had to do two in the back row and one in the front of the next car. I told the CM the girls were going to sit together in the front row and I’d be in the back sitting with the stranger. She then said we couldn’t do it that way because the other odd numbered party had to get the seat in the front of the car. I also couldn’t sit in the front alone with the girls behind me because I had to accompany them from behind. So, essentially, one of my five year olds would have to ride with a stranger.

Now, as you know, once you’re assigned a row, things move very quickly. What I should have done was politely ask the person assigned to the fourth seat if he would be willing to ride back with me. It was a preteen boy whom I doubt would have minded switching but also wouldn’t think to offer on his own. Instead of that thoroughly reasonable course of action, I simultaneously started trying to negotiate with the CM so that I could be the solo in the back row (she wasn’t budging) and negotiate with the girls as to who would ride alone. Since C had been the one to ride separately the first time, it was only fair that A be the one to ride ahead. However, as we were preparing to ride, she was being stubborn and got progressively more upset that she wanted to ride with me or her sister. It got to the point that the car was in the station loading and I told her that she needed to get on the ride or she was going to miss it. At the last minute, C volunteered to take one for the team and switch seats with A.

xgTMTDRl.jpg

O5WtBJWl.jpg

Slinky Dog in the rain was more painful than I was expecting. Apparently, the girls didn’t feel that way, but Hubby, stranger, and I are all obviously wincing. I think the girls being slightly shorter than the headrest of the seats in front of them ended up protecting them from the stinging. Having accomplished everything that we could, we headed out of TSL and over to our next stop of the day. Once again, the rain was messing things up because it was only 10am and Chewie was posting a 25 minute wait. Typically, his waits don’t peak until much later in the day, but I think people opted for the indoor, dry character greet while they waited out the bad weather. We ended up meeting our furry friend at 10:21am.

jQc9cSgl.jpg

87IDirbl.jpg

m8Uprpjl.jpg

Chewie loved the family outfits and the girls were so in awe of him. The whole greet was just pure joy. When we got out, the line for Little Mermaid had already filled to the next show, so we decided to flip our schedule a bit. We had the Muppets on deck for after lunch but, since we’d have to come up this way to meet the Toy Story characters when the rain finally did clear, we flip flopped the two. That meant we’d be looking at Muppets, Star Tours, Lunch, and then up toward Little Mermaid or TSL (if the rain had cleared).

Unfortunately, when we got down to Grand Ave, we found out that the Muppets were having technical difficulties and weren’t expected back up until around noon. While we were deciding our next steps, we heard another family complaining that ToT had been down that morning as well. Between those two attractions, the Beauty and the Beast refurb, and the rain shutting down the TSL greets (and presumably Jedi Training?), a park that already didn’t have enough to do was operating at an even lower capacity. The good news was that, after a bathroom break, our Star Tours FP window was open. The girls were starting to get frustrated (and honestly, so were the adults) that first Woody and Jessie and now the Muppets were being offered and subsequently taken away from them. I promised that we’d come back when the show opened back up and they agreed to move on to Star Tours.

We tapped in at 10:53 and our wait with FP here was actually longer than our standby wait earlier in the week. While we were waiting for our flight, 11:00am passed which meant we were able to put in a mobile order for Backlot Express. Coincidentally, we once again got to enjoy a trip to the Wookie planet, so the girls were thrilled. When we were done, it was still raining and Muppets 3D was still down. We browsed the dump shop for a while and the kids picked out a fun set of Star Wars pins. From there, we all opted to have an early lunch and reassess our plans for the afternoon. I marked in the app for them to start making our food and we headed next door to find a table.

Typically, his waits don’t peak until much later in the day, but I think people opted for the indoor, dry character greet while they waited out the bad weather. We ended up meeting our furry friend at 10:21am.
The girls are the cutest ever in their matching dresses! Love these photos!!
Unfortunately, when we got down to Grand Ave, we found out that the Muppets were having technical difficulties and weren’t expected back up until around noon. While we were deciding our next steps, we heard another family complaining that ToT had been down that morning as well. Between those two attractions, the Beauty and the Beast refurb, and the rain shutting down the TSL greets (and presumably Jedi Training?), a park that already didn’t have enough to do was operating at an even lower capacity. The good news was that, after a bathroom break, our Star Tours FP window was open. The girls were starting to get frustrated (and honestly, so were the adults) that first Woody and Jessie and now the Muppets were being offered and subsequently taken away from them. I promised that we’d come back when the show opened back up and they agreed to move on to Star Tours.
That is a lot of things down at once, so frustrating!

You guys accomplished a lot that morning between Jedi signups, Aliens, and TSMM! That stinks about the rain cancelling the greets. I agree they should have thought that out better! I'm sorry about the situation at SDD, but I'm glad it worked out.

You all look amazing in your Chewie gear!!

Ah very frustrating when plans start to fall apart! Hopefully the afternoon was better!

I absolutely LOVE the Family Chewie outfits! ADORABLE!
Thanks for sharing your report...I am still in awe of how great your girls are!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter