“You’re My Favorites: Now Go Away!” Feb/Mar 2019 First Family Trip (Complete 8/19)

Park Day Three: Magic Kingdom (cont’d)

We were running little early for our 11:35am ADR at Be Our Guest, but they let us check in and head up at 11:20am. We preordered, so we were able to bypass a moderate line and head straight to a podium to confirm our order. When I had tried to update our preorder the evening before, the system was locking me out, so I did have a few small changes to make with the CM. Given the way we had been eating so far on the trip, we decided to cut back a bit on the desserts and share 3 between us. It turns out the CM would have had to adjust the order anyway because they have to charge meal credits and snack credits on separate orders.

We headed in and had hoped to eat in the castle gallery room, but it wasn’t open yet. Instead, we grabbed a table in the main ballroom with a view of the falling snow. The kids got a kick out of the effect and we were quickly enjoying our lunch. I’m not a fan of beer or wine alone (sacrilege, I know, but so it goes) so I got the Peach Bellini and Hubby got a glass of wine.

5iPyK3Cl.jpg

My drink was pretty small and weak. I didn’t mind all that much, as it was included on the meal plan, but I would caution anyone from ordering it out of pocket. The wine or beer is a much safe choice, as there’s no risk of it being mixed with more juice than anything else. Hubby and I got the Braised Pork and Croque Monsieur and loved both. The kids tried the kid’s meatloaf and pasta and were less impressed. Honestly, they were so busy looking around that I don’t think they would have eaten much of anything. They all had some noodles and veggies, which was good enough for me. By the time I tasted the meatloaf myself, it was cold, so I can’t give a good judgment on whether it would have been tastier when fresh.

We had ordered three cupcakes, but this is what came.

2dYLNeql.jpg

The CM must have misheard me and we got a chocolate éclair instead of the double chocolate cupcake. Although, it turns out, the éclair was the favorite dessert of the day, so we didn’t mind the mix up. The cupcakes were tasty but small. Worse, the paper around then was extremely hard to remove which made it very difficult for us to cut it up for sharing. Given that we were using snack credits, I wasn’t that bothered by the size of the treat but, again, I would have been pretty upset if we were paying out of pocket and that’s what we got. We ended up feeling satisfied with our meal and our treats, but it wasn’t worth the over $100 that it would have cost out of pocket.

We were done eating at 12:12pm and started peeking into the various rooms on our way out. The West Wing was just as cool as everyone says, although the girls didn’t want to stay in there for more than a couple minutes. They were curious but ended up getting freaked out by the effects. We hit the bathrooms, grabbed some stained glass photos, and headed out.

sgpRLeMl.jpg

Our restaurant tour had cost us about 20 minutes and we tapped into our Enchanted Tales with Belle FP at 12:36pm. It was only a 5 minute wait to be let in, but it felt much longer because the FP line was spilling out of the shade and into the direct sun. For the first time on our trip, it was legitimately hot in the sun. I was excited for the warm weather but also glad that we’d decided to travel during a time when it didn’t stay that hot from dawn until dusk. I seriously doubt we would have had such a productive trip if we’d been battling that heat the whole time, instead of just for a few warm hours midday.

This experience was right up the girls’ alley. They love anything that allows for audience participation and were up front and center hamming it up to get themselves parts. C galloped and neighed her way into Phillipe, B shivered herself a job as Maurice, and A sang a glass-breaking high note to get Wardrobe.

tKty7zol.jpg

YzFzdp5l.jpg

From my prior research, I knew that a handful of kids would get name characters with a part in the story and everyone else would at least be given dishes. I did not know that, of the name characters, a few of those also wouldn’t have a real part outside of the dish parade at the end of the experience. Phillipe and Maurice are called up at specific times to neigh and shiver, respectively, but Wardrobe isn’t given her own moment. Since the CMs had told A that Wardrobe had to sing for her role, she took it upon herself to sing throughout the final parade around the room. After Beast and Belle had their dance, the kids were called up for their individual pictures with Belle. My girls misunderstood and thought that it was their turn for a dance with Belle as well.

meCrZXBl.jpg

This whole experience ended up being another one of the girls’ top stories about the trip. They’ll tell anyone who will listed which roles they got to play. I’m not sure this is one we’ll do again when they’re older, but it was perfect for this age. We were done at 1:00pm and, after another bathroom break, we headed down into Tomorrowland.

We had booked our after-lunch FPs to start at 12:30 and 1:30 so that, even if we had a long lunch, we wouldn’t miss Enchanted Tales. Since we were running early after lunch, we had some time before our next FP. There were a few low demand experiences we were hoping to hit in Tomorrowland, starting with the Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor. The walk down from Fantasyland was crowded and we got a little turned around trying to figure out where stroller parking was supposed to be for the show. Then, once again, we had bad line luck because we were heading in just as the doors to the next show were closing. It wasn’t until 1:40pm that we were seated and enjoying the show.

Monsters Inc had been a big hit with the girls recently. There was one story, in particular, in a Disney Christmas compilation book, that they were requesting as a bedtime book every night. After all of their reading about collecting laughs, they came to the show prepared. From they moment it started, they laughed heartily at every joke, no matter how slight. They were going to do everything they could to make sure that enough laughs were collected. Their forced, over the top laughter was so ridiculous that it became contagious in its own right. Once again, we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Next on the list was supposed to be Peoplemover, but the line was pretty bad. As in The-Line-Starts-Here-Sign bad. We opted to use our open FP first, even if it required a bit of backtracking, rather than risk missing our window. We headed back to Fantasyland, tapped in at 2:04, and were boarding at 2:10pm.

9fbBdqnl.jpg

1Fs5uhIl.jpg

What a fun ride! The dwarfs were also very popular with the girls on this trip. They were so excited to see the “Heigh Ho guys” on this ride and they sang along for the whole middle section. When we unloaded, A and C loved it but B was on the fence. She loved the animatronics but felt like the coaster “tickled” her stomach too much.

When we tried to decide on the next order of business, all of the girls wanted a treat. Our dinner reservation wasn’t until 4:00pm, so I thought it’d be better to go ahead and eat something now so that they didn’t get overly hungry waiting for dinner. I wanted to try one of the new seasonal treats, so I offered up the two new specialty cones being sold on that side of the park. Hubby is a lemon guy, so he wanted to try the Lost Princess. I was interested in the mango flavor in The Adventure is Out There cone, and the girls just wanted regular soft serve. We folded up the umbrella stroller to put it on top of the double stroller, two of the girls rode, one helped me push, and we all left Hubby in line at Storybook Treats and headed down to Auntie Gravities.

The short walk down into Tomorrowland made me incredibly grateful that we opted to have three stroller seats for the girls this trip. The strollers come with their own hassle, but I much prefer moving between areas without constantly having to remind kids to keep walking and look where they’re going. Despite my oh-so-slow walk, we encountered no line at Auntie Gravities and the timestamps on our photos say that I managed to get my treat a few minutes before Hubby (yes, he took a picture for me).

1Fglq63l.jpg

8jOzhkNl.jpg

The girls and I managed to snag a bench which allowed them to surround and devour a hot fudge sundae while I had my cone. The four of us were finishing up when Hubby found us. We all loved our choices, although the girls were disappointed with Hubby’s cone. They were excited to try the edible flowers, but I think they were expecting them to taste like candy, not plants. :P Just because something can be eaten doesn’t mean it should be.

We were finishing up at about 2:45 and we needed to get moving if we wanted to be out of the park ahead of the parade. We had a 4:00pm Hoop Dee Doo Revue ADR and I knew that, if we pushed past the parade, we’d be cutting it too close to catch the boat to Ft Wilderness. I thought we’d be able to walk down Main St, since it was before 3pm and we were moving away from the hub, but we only made it down to the Main St Bakery before a CM directed us up to the sidewalk. Despite the congestion, we were able to make it to the boat launch at 2:55pm.

We had a 10 minute wait and were on a boat at 3:05pm. Hubby can sometimes can get motion sickness and, despite being fine on all of the rides throughout the trip, this boat messed with him for some reason. It was totally unexpected, but perhaps it was a combination of the heat, some moderate dehydration, and the motion of the boat. When we arrived, the girls immediately hit the playground while Hubby went to use the bathroom and refill our water bottle. It took him a while and he came back very irritated. Apparently, he had waited a while for a refill at a bar and was told he shouldn’t have been trying to refill there, but that they’d do it just this once. After not feeling well coming off the boat, the hassle of getting fresh water wasn’t making anything better.

We walked over to Pioneer Hall at 3:45 since the confirmation says to be there 15 minutes early. However, they didn’t start seating people until 4pm on the dot. In retrospect, we probably could have stayed at MK longer and planned to catch the 3:30 boat to Ft Wilderness. Then again, leaving then would have put us walking out with the parade crowd and we could have missed the 3:30 boat. Better early than late, right? Plus, while we waited, we bumped into the same family who gave C her pin at Barnstormer. The girls were so excited to show them that they had already traded their pin and gained another.

Leading up to this trip, we had trouble narrowing down exactly how to use our table service credits. We had some that were set in stone, but our plans for ‘Ohana and Hollywood & Vine were more up in the air. H&V has some strong retractors and Minnie would be the only unique character there. ‘Ohana dinner has been doing less of the extras (coconut races, hula dancing, live music) and we a couple of excellent Brazillian steakhouses nearby that are much more affordable for us because kids under 7 are free. As back up, Sci Fi, Storybook Dining at Artist Point, and HDDR had all been floated as options. I eventually decided to give the girls the options and see what they wanted to do. We watched several reviews on YouTube and they settled in on this meal. Hubby wasn’t sure that he would enjoy it, as the food wasn’t his favorite and he hadn’t liked the show when he visited as a teen. However, he agreed that it would something the kids would love, so we went for it. All of that is to say that the kids were really psyched about this meal and, after his less-than-pleasant boat ride, Hubby was certainly not.

Because we were on the dining plan, we were in category two seating. There were two rows of tables behind us on the main floor so we were in the best seats we could have hoped for on the lesser category. Because of the YouTube viewing, the girls new what to expect and they were ready. This was the only meal this trip that I didn’t end up having to fish dropped napkins from under the table because they were not letting them go! Plus, the tables around us who only had adults gave the girls their washboards, so each of them ended up getting to play one.

eBwq3bll.jpg

phJyomEl.jpg

In terms of food, I enjoyed the meal very much. I was a bit disappointed that the specialty drinks on the menu would still have been an extra cost on the DDP. Given that the show is two credits, you’d think they could toss in a margarita, too. Neither ribs nor fried chicken are Hubby’s favorites, so he wasn’t impressed. In fact, he was so unhappy that he went and grabbed a second dinner at the Boardwalk Pizza Window after we got back to the resort. The girls ate about as well as I expected given how excited they were for the show, which meant not very much was consumed. I even asked for mac and cheese (a tip I’d read here on the boards) but they weren’t eating that, either.

As for the show, the kids had a blast, which was the point. I loved seeing how excited they got, but I’m not sure I would go out of my way to do this if I weren’t with the girls. Hubby was unimpressed; he thought it was fine but not worth the hype and not worth losing MK time and two dining plan credits. It’s funny, this show seems to be one of the most universally loved experiences in WDW and we’re the exception. I’m glad we went, not least because we had so much park time this trip that I appreciated having an activity that pulled us out. However, if I had to do it again, I would have left the park for the Storybook Dining or 1900 Park Fare, instead, and then thrown in a fun lunch at Sci Fi, too.

When we got out of the show, there were buses waiting at the bottom of the hill to take us straight back to MK and Hubby was glad to be able to avoid a boat ride. When we got to the MK buses, there was quite a group waiting for Boardwalk, including a few other large strollers. The Swolphin bus pulled up first and, given the fact that the BW bus would likely be standing room only, we jumped over to the other, nearly empty bus. Grabbing a bus to another Crescent Lake resort was another trick I was happy to have learned from these boards. When we got to Dophin, we got a bit turned around trying to get from the front of the resort down to the boardwalk level but, after asking for help, we found the elevator and took the short walk around to our resort.

The girls were showered and in bed right around their actual bed time (miraculous, I know). Hubby needed some air, so he grabbed a load of dirty laundry, started it downstairs, and then went for a run. He was able to time it so that he ran to HS in time to see the Star Wars fireworks on the path while he was running. After moving the wash to the dryer and grabbing a shower at the health club, he had his second dinner, watched Illuminations on the bridge, and just sat relaxing on the boardwalk for a while. He was out later than he probably should have been, but he needed the time and was ready for a fresh start in the morning.

Our achievement stats for our second MK day included 2 family rides, 1 triple ride swap, 2 shows (is that what you’d call EtwB?), 2 character meets, 1 begrudging trip to the Dumbo play area, and 1 a trip to the country’s longest running dinner theater. We didn’t manage to pack in quite as much on this day, but I had purposefully kept it light in anticipation of our next park day, which was our only planned open-to-close day of the trip.

Dining Plan Day 4

Day 4 Actual Spending
Be Our Guest: $103.69
Storybook Treats: $5.66
Auntie Gravity: $11.53
Hoop Dee Doo Revue: $268.57
Boardwalk Pizza Window: $25.67
DDP Day 4 Value: $415.12

Total DDP To Date: $1,314.80
Amount remaining to break even: $800.11

Moderate Splurge Adjustments
If I were paying out of pocket, there would have been no adult beverages at BoG. Much more significant, we wouldn’t have even been looking at HDDR without the dining plan. We probably would have stayed in the park and split a few QS entrees and desserts. For the sake of comparison, I estimated us grabbing Pecos Bill dinner and then ice cream for a cost of $56.66. I also knocked out the BW Pizza meal, as I’m assuming Hubby would have been satisfied with his dinner choice. Even if HDDR didn’t live up to the hype for us, I’d still say that this is all advantage DDP. The drinks at lunch are a no-brainer and I think it was the right choice at this point in the trip to leave the park early and have a nice, sit-down meal instead of touring the park all day and eating a rushed dinner.

Moderate Splurge Day Two Estimated Cost (Tax and Tip): $143.33
Moderate Splurge Budget To Date: $853.65

My drink was pretty small and weak. I didn’t mind all that much, as it was included on the meal plan, but I would caution anyone from ordering it out of pocket

Thank you for sharing. That's definitely something I would've ordered and now I know to save the money.

Worse, the paper around then was extremely hard to remove which made it very difficult for us to cut it up for sharing

Those papers are IMPOSSIBLE. I don't understand why they use them!!

They were going to do everything they could to make sure that enough laughs were collected. Their forced, over the top laughter was so ridiculous that it became contagious in its own right

That's adorable. Laugh floor is one of our favorites.

When we got out of the show, there were buses waiting at the bottom of the hill to take us straight back to MK and Hubby was glad to be able to avoid a boat ride.

Oo I've never noticed that as an option. Very convenient.

Sounds like a good afternoon in MK! I'm glad the girls enjoyed Enchanted Tales with Belle and the Laugh Floor!

Both those specialty cones look really good!

At least you can say you tried HDDR! And the girls loved it, which is great.

How frustrating your experience at Dumbo must have been. I would have been annoyed at that too!

I'm glad the girls enjoyed their HDDR experience! I imagine knowing DH was not feeling great and then not really excited for the dinner didn't add much to your experience either. I know that I usually have a hard time enjoying something if someone I'm with isn't! I haven't been to HDDR since I was 8 but I'm excited to try it with DH this September!

First time reading your report- it’s fantastic! We’re not using the DDP for our trip (all adults plus toddler under three in DVC with kitchen = not worth it) but the fun snacks like ice cream look really good! Might be worth it just for fun someday...I really appreciate the cost breakdown.

And your girls are just so precious! They obviously love life and had a lot of great moments with you and DH!

From my prior research, I knew that a handful of kids would get name characters with a part in the story and everyone else would at least be given dishes. I did not know that, of the name characters, a few of those also wouldn’t have a real part outside of the dish parade at the end of the experience. Phillipe and Maurice are called up at specific times to neigh and shiver, respectively, but Wardrobe isn’t given her own moment. Since the CMs had told A that Wardrobe had to sing for her role, she took it upon herself to sing throughout the final parade around the room. After Beast and Belle had their dance, the kids were called up for their individual pictures with Belle. My girls misunderstood and thought that it was their turn for a dance with Belle as well.
I love, love, love that picture of your three with Belle! Awesome memories!

Monsters Inc had been a big hit with the girls recently. There was one story, in particular, in a Disney Christmas compilation book, that they were requesting as a bedtime book every night. After all of their reading about collecting laughs, they came to the show prepared. From they moment it started, they laughed heartily at every joke, no matter how slight. They were going to do everything they could to make sure that enough laughs were collected. Their forced, over the top laughter was so ridiculous that it became contagious in its own right. Once again, we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
Such a cute story! I have fond memories of Laugh Floor too as one of my boys was chosen as Randall and had such a great time disappearing. It's the little things that make it!

Next on the list was supposed to be Peoplemover, but the line was pretty bad. As in The-Line-Starts-Here-Sign bad. We opted to use our open FP first, even if it required a bit of backtracking, rather than risk missing our window. We headed back to Fantasyland, tapped in at 2:04, and were boarding at 2:10pm.
Yikes! You definitely made the better choice to head towards your FP!

We walked over to Pioneer Hall at 3:45 since the confirmation says to be there 15 minutes early. However, they didn’t start seating people until 4pm on the dot. In retrospect, we probably could have stayed at MK longer and planned to catch the 3:30 boat to Ft Wilderness. Then again, leaving then would have put us walking out with the parade crowd and we could have missed the 3:30 boat. Better early than late, right? Plus, while we waited, we bumped into the same family who gave C her pin at Barnstormer. The girls were so excited to show them that they had already traded their pin and gained another.
Glad the girls loved the show but too bad it wasn't at hit with DH. So strange about the drinks....did you try the sangria or wine? We are trying HDDR for the first time in July and I am excited. What did you think of the food?

The girls were showered and in bed right around their actual bed time (miraculous, I know). Hubby needed some air, so he grabbed a load of dirty laundry, started it downstairs, and then went for a run. He was able to time it so that he ran to HS in time to see the Star Wars fireworks on the path while he was running. After moving the wash to the dryer and grabbing a shower at the health club, he had his second dinner, watched Illuminations on the bridge, and just sat relaxing on the boardwalk for a while. He was out later than he probably should have been, but he needed the time and was ready for a fresh start in the morning.
You did well to get the girls settled. Good that DH had a little time to himself, I hope you got some time for yourself too.

I love the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor - it's such a delightful surprise for a lower-demand attraction and I'm thrilled your girls enjoyed it!

It's too bad you didn't love the HDDR as much as you were hoping, but I'm glad your girls loved all the napkin-waving fun. I almost wonder if being on the periphery makes the show not as much fun as you're not right in the middle of the action? Also, please tell me you enjoyed the strawberry shortcake?! I'm not usually the biggest strawberry shortcake fan, but even I agreed that this dessert was one of my favorites from my last few trips.

I think an evening of doing his own thing was the right call for your husband. It's nice to have time to regroup if you've had a rough afternoon. Seeing two sets of fireworks to boot couldn't have hurt, either!

By the time I tasted the meatloaf myself, it was cold, so I can’t give a good judgment on whether it would have been tastier when fresh.

Trust me, that kid's meatloaf tastes no better hot :crazy2:

I went into the Laugh Floor with no high hopes and was kind of surprised how much we all enjoyed it and how funny it actually was! I feel like it's kind of overlooked, but as a place to get out of the weather and rest your feet, I have no complaints.

. The strollers come with their own hassle, but I much prefer moving between areas without constantly having to remind kids to keep walking and look where they’re going.

OMG yes. My boys at 4 and 6 were more than capable of walking instead of riding in the stroller, but getting around the parks is a slow, frustrating slog with kids who have forgotten how to simply walk in a straight line.

Too bad HDDR was a bit of a let down for everyone. It sounds like the girls had a fun time, even if they only nibbled at their food. it's something I still want to do once! My DH loves fried chicken and ribs so I'm sure it wouldn't be a hard sell for him.

Sounds like your DH had a nice time on his run - hope you got to take a break too!

I rarely post but I love to read trip reports. Your trip report reminded me so much about our first trip when my kids were 1, almost 3, 5 and 6. We hemmed and hawed about going but my 5 year old was such a Cinderella fan that she told people that when she grew up she was going to Cinderella. When we went to 1900 Park Fare for dinner with Cinderella it truly was a magical moment for us. I turned to my husband and we both agreed that it was worth all the hassle of bringing the 4 kids to Disney for just that moment. If we had waited she would have never had that special moment. She is now 20 and still loves to meet the princesses but not the same as when she was 5. My point is I love that you are going with the flow and have made some very special memories. I know from experience that not everything is magical at Disney but my 4 who are now 16, 18, 20 and 21 are excited for the 2 days we have planned this summer. They will usually pick a Disney trip over most other trips. Can't wait to hear how the rest of the trip goes.

Thanks for your Hoop review ! I really want to try it as I think my girls would love it. But my DH has zero desire and is not interested in the menu at all.

Oo I've never noticed that as an option. Very convenient.

Yup, it was much faster than waiting for a bus and it didn't mess with Hubby's head to boot.

Sounds like a good afternoon in MK! I'm glad the girls enjoyed Enchanted Tales with Belle and the Laugh Floor!

Both those specialty cones look really good!

At least you can say you tried HDDR! And the girls loved it, which is great.

The specialty cones were delicious. It was a fun to be able to try out seasonal treats that I head read about.

I'm glad we did HDDR because I think I would have otherwise been questioning whether we should have. However, I think it's a one-and-done for our crew.

How frustrating your experience at Dumbo must have been. I would have been annoyed at that too!

I'm glad the girls enjoyed their HDDR experience! I imagine knowing DH was not feeling great and then not really excited for the dinner didn't add much to your experience either. I know that I usually have a hard time enjoying something if someone I'm with isn't! I haven't been to HDDR since I was 8 but I'm excited to try it with DH this September!

Dumbo was super frustrating! I had to keep telling myself that we had two more days at MK and we'd be able to fit things in later in the trip.

First time reading your report- it’s fantastic! We’re not using the DDP for our trip (all adults plus toddler under three in DVC with kitchen = not worth it) but the fun snacks like ice cream look really good! Might be worth it just for fun someday...I really appreciate the cost breakdown.

And your girls are just so precious! They obviously love life and had a lot of great moments with you and DH!

Welcome and thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it. The kids are life-lovers for sure, which made this trip so much fun.

Yeah, we wouldn't have done the DDP had we not been in that very specific category of being outnumbered by 3-9 year olds and planning lots of character meals. It was great for this particular type of trip, but I can't see us doing it when they're older.

I love, love, love that picture of your three with Belle! Awesome memories!

Thanks! The whole experience was so cute.

Yikes! You definitely made the better choice to head towards your FP!

Yeah, we were tackling any line-starts-here signs, unless it was for a FP we had.

Glad the girls loved the show but too bad it wasn't at hit with DH. So strange about the drinks....did you try the sangria or wine? We are trying HDDR for the first time in July and I am excited. What did you think of the food?

I decided to just stick to soda, as I'm more of a mixed drink gal myself. The girls did love the show, but I'm pretty sure Hubby just wasn't in the right head space to give it a fair shot. I thought the food was great, but I'm a fried chicken and wings kind of gal. Hubby isn't a fan of either.

You did well to get the girls settled. Good that DH had a little time to himself, I hope you got some time for yourself too.

I was having time to myself most mornings, grabbing a coffee before everyone else was moving. He needed some evening time to reset and I was glad he could get it.

Love your TR and the dining breakdown. I think this is the best way to compare if the DDP is a good value for the individual.

I love the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor - it's such a delightful surprise for a lower-demand attraction and I'm thrilled your girls enjoyed it!

It's too bad you didn't love the HDDR as much as you were hoping, but I'm glad your girls loved all the napkin-waving fun. I almost wonder if being on the periphery makes the show not as much fun as you're not right in the middle of the action? Also, please tell me you enjoyed the strawberry shortcake?! I'm not usually the biggest strawberry shortcake fan, but even I agreed that this dessert was one of my favorites from my last few trips.

I think an evening of doing his own thing was the right call for your husband. It's nice to have time to regroup if you've had a rough afternoon. Seeing two sets of fireworks to boot couldn't have hurt, either!

Laugh Floor was a highlight for sure.

We felt pretty in-the-action for the show, but it just wasn't up Hubby's alley. I LOVED the strawberry shortcake but, even there, Hubby doesn't do strawberry. This was just destined to be a rough night for in, apparently.

Yes, he appreciated the time to regroup and the fireworks. He's a huge fan of fireworks, period, so getting to see a couple extra Disney sets was very cool for him.

I went into the Laugh Floor with no high hopes and was kind of surprised how much we all enjoyed it and how funny it actually was! I feel like it's kind of overlooked, but as a place to get out of the weather and rest your feet, I have no complaints.

Yup, the Laugh Floor was perfect for our crew, but I didn't realize how much the adults would like it, too.

OMG yes. My boys at 4 and 6 were more than capable of walking instead of riding in the stroller, but getting around the parks is a slow, frustrating slog with kids who have forgotten how to simply walk in a straight line.

My kids walk all of the time outside of Disney. They can hack it when they want to. But, man, they just wanted to look at EVERYTHING that wasn't the space where they were actually walking.

Too bad HDDR was a bit of a let down for everyone. It sounds like the girls had a fun time, even if they only nibbled at their food. it's something I still want to do once! My DH loves fried chicken and ribs so I'm sure it wouldn't be a hard sell for him.

Sounds like your DH had a nice time on his run - hope you got to take a break too!

The kids loved HDDR, which was the whole point. On another day, coming from a different mindset, I think the adults would have had a better time, too.

I rarely post but I love to read trip reports. Your trip report reminded me so much about our first trip when my kids were 1, almost 3, 5 and 6. We hemmed and hawed about going but my 5 year old was such a Cinderella fan that she told people that when she grew up she was going to Cinderella. When we went to 1900 Park Fare for dinner with Cinderella it truly was a magical moment for us. I turned to my husband and we both agreed that it was worth all the hassle of bringing the 4 kids to Disney for just that moment. If we had waited she would have never had that special moment. She is now 20 and still loves to meet the princesses but not the same as when she was 5. My point is I love that you are going with the flow and have made some very special memories. I know from experience that not everything is magical at Disney but my 4 who are now 16, 18, 20 and 21 are excited for the 2 days we have planned this summer. They will usually pick a Disney trip over most other trips. Can't wait to hear how the rest of the trip goes.

Welcome! It was an incredible age to be able to have them experience Disney for the first time. I'm so glad we got to have this trip where they were enamored of every character and show. I'm sure it'll be fun in a different way when they're older, but this was a certain kind of special.

Thanks for your Hoop review ! I really want to try it as I think my girls would love it. But my DH has zero desire and is not interested in the menu at all.[/QUOTE

I wouldn't let me review alone sway you. So many people enjoy it and I think we could have under better circumstances.

Love your TR and the dining breakdown. I think this is the best way to compare if the DDP is a good value for the individual.
Thanks! This is the way I had broken things down when we elected to do the DDP, so I wanted to double back and see how everything turned out for us. I'm a very analytical, by the numbers kind of gal.

Park Day Four: Animal Kingdom (TP Crowd Level Predicted 7 and Actual 9)

I was up early once again and very anxious about this day. Because of the kids’ heights (no EE, FoP, or PW) and tolerance for scares (no Bug or Dinosaur), we decided to only do one Animal Kingdom day on our trip. That would make this our only day that we planned to go open-to-close, as well as the only day we wouldn’t be able to adjust a future touring plan to make up for what we missed. To pile on, this was our first day attempting to use rider swap and we’d be doing it twice, at FoP and EE.

Speaking of rider swap, there had been a lot of confusion about how it would work leading up to this trip. On the boards, it seemed that most of the folks had found that, when used in combination with FP, only the first rider group needed to have FP because the second group would be issued rider swaps. However, there were also several cases, especially at FoP, where people were reporting that they were denied rider swaps for group 2 unless those people already had FPs for the ride. Leading up to our trip, Hubby and I decided to risk it and only book FPs for group 1. For us, that meant I had EE while Hubby and the kids had the Mickey greet and also I had FoP while Hubby and the kids had NRJ. We weren’t as concerned about EE, since Hubby could also single rider, but the FoP choice was a risk. We had the triplet card in our back pocket (“But, the triplets are all under seven, so we had to book him NRJ with them,”) which we try to use sparingly but is generally successful. Of course, after FPs were booked, Hubby started having second thoughts about pre-booking himself onto FoP, but it was too late for that. One of the podcasts I started listening to was talking about same day FP drops at AK so we thought that, if we successfully rope dropped NRJ, perhaps we’d look at booking Hubby an FoP during one of these same day drop windows and the girls just wouldn’t get a second ride on Navi River.

The weather forecast was a high of 83 and sunny, so we were able to leave the long pants and jackets back at the room. We had a quick breakfast in the room and headed for the buses. We got to the bus stop just after 8:00am and the sign said the next bus would be there at 8:20. I wasn’t thrilled that we once again had bad bus timing, but I knew that we’d be ok to rope drop Navi River Journey even if we weren’t in the first waves of guests heading into Pandora.

There was one other family waiting at the bus that had twin boys a couple years older than my girls and then a boy about their age. The kids started talking about where they were going and it turned out we were all headed to AK. This was clearly a family that got to visit Disney semi-regularly, because the twins were super excited to tell me about their prior trips to the park. When they heard that I had never been to Animal Kingdom (it opened after my last visit for senior trip), they started describing all of the rides in detail, especially FoP. Their mom tried to redirect their attention so that they wouldn’t talk my ear off, but I didn’t mind. What’s the difference between three kids and five kids all talking over each other to me at the same time, anyway? The mom was very frustrated that she had just missed the 8am AK bus because they were unable to get FoP FPs this trip and were hoping to rope drop it. She kept calmly reminding the boys that they would give it a try but that they might not be able to do it this trip. Having read enough of easyWDW’s AK touring days, I knew full well that they were going to be walking into a full FoP queue by the time we made it to the park. I pulled the mom aside and told her about the same day drop times I had heard about and suggested she try refreshing into FoP at one of those times. It obviously wasn’t a guaranteed thing but, at that point, it seemed like she’d have a better chance at snagging one of those than finding a short wait at arrival. We were all loaded up and heading to the park at 8:25, which was fine for my Navi River morning but had definitively blown up her plans for FoP.

Of course, after a long bus wait, I picked a very thorough security line which took a while. Then, to pile on, we got stuck at the tapstiles. The family in front of us was using their tickets for the first time and didn’t have magic bands, so the CM was pulling RFID cards out of his pocket to assign to each of them in addition to getting their finger prints. Not all of their party was there, either, so there was a lot of back and forth about which tickets he was just assigning a card to versus those that needed to be assigned a card, scan a fingerprint, and use an admission day. He was being very kind and patient with the family but there wasn’t much urgency in his actions. In the meantime, my girls had been having trouble placing their finger properly on the scanner, so they landed us a blue Mickey on the other open tapstile that this CM was monitoring. He didn’t help us until the other family was all figured out, we couldn’t go anywhere with our blue Mickey, and I kept smiling apologetically and shaking my head to the groups behind us.

We were finally heading into the park at 8:45am and walking into the Navi River line at 8:48am. The current AK opening procedure has the Pandora rides starting operation at about 8:30 for a 9:00am open, so our delays had allowed a short line to form. It wasn’t anything too crazy, but we weren’t boarding our boat until 9:01am. In that thirteen minutes, we found out that this was going to be C’s grumpy day. She had been the one waking up earliest for a few days so I understood, but it didn’t make it any less annoying. When we explained that this was a boat ride through a pretend alien world, she decided that she was going to be scared. No amount of insisting that it was just going to be pretty, that it didn’t have scary scenes or big drops, was going to convince this kid that she was going to enjoy the ride. She hadn’t escalated to crying or full on refusal, just your run of the mill “I’m not going to like it!” accompanied by a foot stomp for emphasis. Once we were sailing, all three girls loved it, especially looking around for all the different creatures.

After unloading, we headed back towards Discovery Island for some necessities: caffeine and sugar. On the way, we stopped for a quick photo op which we had to do ourselves since there were no PP photographers out yet.

d0hfNMZl.jpg

After a quick shoot and a rendition of Hakuna Matata, we headed toward Africa. I stopped at Creature Comforts for the caffeine and Hubby took the kids to Kusafiri for a cinnamon roll and elephant ear, both DDP snacks that always land high on best-of lists. It was quick to place my Starbucks order, but then it took a full ten minutes for my drinks to come out. In the meantime, Hubby had gotten the snacks and found drummers at the entrance to Africa. By the time I came over with my drinks, there was a token bite of each pastry left but the girls had otherwise devoured them.

Our next stop of the day was the 10am Festival of the Lion King show, which we would be doing standby. We had discussed wandering the Discovery Island trails a bit, but it was already 9:30, so we decided to just get in line. This was the only time where I could fit the show into our day, so I didn’t want to wander too far on the trails and end up running late. I did see that the FoP line was all the way back to the Lion King bathrooms, which made me all the more thankful for my afternoon FP. While we were waiting, the coffee took its toll and I hopped out of line to use the restroom. When I got back, the girls were frantic because the line was starting to move. I caught back up with them quickly (and there were only a handful of groups in the standby queue anyway) and we headed in. We were about 5 rows up and on the aisle. The front couple of rows were reserved and a family with twins about my girls’ age came to sit in the reserved section just before showtime. At that time, it was clear to me that my kids were not getting invited into the parade at the end: the folks who had paid handily for their special dining package were going to have that privilege. I don’t have it in my notes but I’m pretty sure we were in the giraffe section because, during the show as the sections were being given their sound queues, I remember wondering what noise a giraffe was even going to make .

tdNeURVl.jpg

This show was every bit as awesome as people say it is. The live singers were incredible, the various acts were so talented, and the whole experience warmed me up inside. The Lion King was a soundtrack that I played on repeat as a kid, so any show using that music was already going to be three steps ahead of the competition. The girls loved it, too. I know most kids favor the monkeys, but mine were hands down for the dancing birds. C has decided that, among other professions, she is going to be a ballerina when she grows up and, after this show, she has decided that she’s going to be that blue bird.

When the show ended, the girls were disappointed that they weren’t invited into the little parade. We talked about how there were so many people there and only a few who could participate, but C’s grumpy morning took its toll and she started crying a bit while we were trying to fish our two strollers out of the sea along with everyone else. It wasn’t all that bad, she calmed herself down quickly, but it’s something that we could have easily brushed off had she been well rested. We headed into Africa to use our safari FP but, while we were in the show, the sun had come out in full force. For the first time on our trip, we pulled over and began the sunscreen project. Hubby took the stick for faces while I worked on lotioning up arms and legs. Thankfully, there was a new musician out, so the girls enjoyed a dance in between sunscreen application and restroom trips for everyone.

eAzaooOl.jpg

We finally set off towards the safari at 11:00am and quickly realized we no longer had our refillable water bottle. The last we saw it, the girls were drinking it while waiting for the Lion King, so it must have been left behind in the fervor of rushing me back from my bathroom break. I wasn’t thrilled about wasting a snack credit on a water bottle, but I wanted something I could keep sealed in my bag and pull out when needed, rather than being at the mercy of the closest QS for water the rest of the day. Water bottle acquired, we encountered one of the saddest sights in Disney.

SYkImVPl.jpg

Yup, that’s a FastPass Line Starts Here sign. The line was far enough from the entrance that it reached a dead end and looped back onto itself. The CM with the worst job of the moment estimated that we would have a 20-minute wait and told us that a rhino had blocked the safari for a little while but things were back to moving well. Initially, Hubby thought that a rhino blocking the path was just Disney speak for the ride not working (like, Buzz has to get some new AA batteries or something) but I told him that most likely a real rhino had in fact blocked the path. True to her estimate, we were enjoying the back row of our safari vehicle at 11:25am. I was excited to get the back because then the kids would be able to all look behind us with an unobstructed view, which proved useful a few times.

ptkI1kSl.jpg

ZD5xb3Zl.jpg

QM5e684l.jpg

We don’t have many safari photos because we were too busy trying to point out animals to the kids. We have the most shots of those black birds because there were several of them standing frozen, wings fully spread, surrounding the rhinos. Maybe they were sunning themselves? It was pretty goofy looking. We had a lovely safari and were very excited to see the elephants in particular, as our local zoo no longer has them. By the time we were off of the safari and had found our stroller, it was 11:55 so we decided to check into our 12:05 ADR a little bit early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter